Players that Our Young Core Should Study/Emulate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Players that Our Young Core Should Study/Emulate

Assuming the following make the team: DLO, Randle, Clarkson, ABrown, Nance Jr., Black, Upshaw, Huertas (maybe Holmes). Who would you recommend these guys emulate and learn from?

DLO: Penny Hardaway, Steve Nash. Both gifted ball handlers, I think DLO could learn from Penny's ability to use his big body to handle the ball. Nash is self-explanatory with his innate passing, but also ability to pull up on a jumper.

Randle: Anthony Mason, Charles Barkley. Mason was a big body who could expertly handle the rock but also throw his weight around inside if necessary. Barkley was undersized but always battled around bigger guys to grab boards.

Clarkson: Joe Dumars. Slightly undersized SG who could defend like crazy and handle the ball when necessary. I'm hoping for big things from Clarkson and would love to see him improve on-ball defense and 3 point shooting.

Black: Chuck Hayes. The immovable tree stump has been a long-time NBA vet who excelled at post defense despite his diminutive height. Black is bigger and more athletic, but Hayes is such a fundamental defender that gives much bigger post players fits.

ABrown: Bruce Bowen and Danny Green. The kings of 3/D, guys who shot 3 pointers (and pretty much nothing else) and defended 3 positions. I think Brown has a chance to be a long-time NBA player if he embraces this role.

Nance Jr.: Shawn Marion. Marion couldn't shoot a lick coming into the NBA and was always caught between SF/PF. But he would fill the stat sheet, guard whomever needed to be guarded. Nance's athleticism is off the charts and he would do well to follow Marion's do-everything mentality.

Upshaw: Vin Baker. Talk with Vin about how life feels after he lost his fame and fortune to substance abuse. Talk about how losing tens of millions of $$$ feels like. See how talent doesn't beat addiction. On-the-court, I'd stay close with Hibbert and learn his principles of verticality. I'd also look at someone like Mutumbo who not only blocked shots but had excellent positioning.

Huertas: Arvydas Sabonis. After a storied career overseas, came to the US at the tail end of his career. I think there's another chapter to be written in Huertas's book.

Holmes: Robert Horry. Often nestled between two spots, Horry settled in as a clutch PF with the Lakers/Spurs. Holmes, while smaller than Horry would do well to emulate Horry.

Share some of your suggestions:

DLO:
Randle:
Clarkson:
Black:
ABrown:
Nance:
Upshaw:
Holmes:
Huertas:

(others: JBrown, Frazier)
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Great idea; you named some really good examples too. This will take some thought.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Kobe: : '98 MJ, Midrange pullups....all....day....long.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Nick the quick and Eddie jones. End thread.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

DLo - I'd like to see him watch some tape of Andre Miller, Derek Harper, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw (Prime version w/ only a little of older versioin), and for offense, maybe even James Harden...all the "bigger" type point guards/ball handling guards that couldn't really rely on athleticism to be successful in the league.

JR - Absolutely agree with Anthony Mason. I had said it in the draft thread and the thread discussing who he reminds people of. All the "experts" were saying Zach Randolph, but after seeing him in summer league last year, Anthony Mason was the first player that came to mind (except, Randle has way more up side, currently). Mason found a way to get a more consistent jumpshot, but could play the 3 or the 4 spot no problem, as well as handle point forward duties. Mason was even more undersized at the 4 than Julius is too. Another player I'd love for him to watch is Karl Malone. He has better ball handling skills than Karl, so if he could fuse some of Karl's game with the skills he already has...watch out! Lastly, James Worthy. He has such a quick first step. It's not as quick as James, but if he could master Worthy's footwork and spin move off the baseline, just another weapon he could use being undersized at the 4 and bigger at the 3.

JC - I like the Dumars mention. If you look at his jumpshot, it's also very similar to how Byron was when he first came into the league. Lots of legs behind the shot and attacked the basket strong. Another one I can think of is Alvin Robertson, for defensive reasons.

Upshaw - Dikembe, Kareem, Robert Parrish

The rest of the guys, I'd have to think deeper on it.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
DLo - I'd like to see him watch some tape of Andre Miller, Derek Harper, Ron Harper, Brian Shaw (Prime version w/ only a little of older versioin), and for offense, maybe even James Harden...all the "bigger" type point guards/ball handling guards that couldn't really rely on athleticism to be successful in the league.

JR - Absolutely agree with Anthony Mason. I had said it in the draft thread and the thread discussing who he reminds people of. All the "experts" were saying Zach Randolph, but after seeing him in summer league last year, Anthony Mason was the first player that came to mind (except, Randle has way more up side, currently). Mason found a way to get a more consistent jumpshot, but could play the 3 or the 4 spot no problem, as well as handle point forward duties. Mason was even more undersized at the 4 than Julius is too. Another player I'd love for him to watch is Karl Malone. He has better ball handling skills than Karl, so if he could fuse some of Karl's game with the skills he already has...watch out! Lastly, James Worthy. He has such a quick first step. It's not as quick as James, but if he could master Worthy's footwork and spin move off the baseline, just another weapon he could use being undersized at the 4 and bigger at the 3.

JC - I like the Dumars mention. If you look at his jumpshot, it's also very similar to how Byron was when he first came into the league. Lots of legs behind the shot and attacked the basket strong. Another one I can think of is Alvin Robertson, for defensive reasons.

Upshaw - Dikembe, Kareem, Robert Parrish

The rest of the guys, I'd have to think deeper on it.

Nice post. Like the guys for DLO. big guards who weren't the most athletic but still killers.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

DLO: James Harden, Steve Nash, or Chris Paul. Would love to see Russell take a lot of threes if he knows he can make the shot, be able to absorb contact at the rim, hit teardrops, and be able from mid range like CP3. I believe he mentioned in his Draft Express interview that he thought the mid range game was underrated/underutilized. Also obviously be able to see the floor and make his teammates better.
Randle: Charles Barkley. I know it's kinda a traditional answer, but he has the athletic tools to be similar to him. I'd like to see him develop a catch and shoot ability around the high post and then slowly extend out to the three. Maybe he can be a more athletic Lamar Odom who handles the ball a little less?
Clarkson: I like the Dumars mention. JC was pretty bad defensively last season, but he definitely has the physical capabilities to be a good defender. Needs to develop discipline in that regard. He was an excellent mid range shooter also last year and pick and roll player. Developing his three point shot will accelerate his game.
Black: Maybe like an undersized version of Jordan Hill or DeJuan Blair? Blair's another one of those undersized power forwards who had a decent few years offensively with San Antonio. Developing a more complete offensive game will no doubt be helpful for him.
ABrown: Danny Green. A. Brown did solid in the summer league, but he needs to continue having confidence in his shot and learn to move off the ball more. Clarkson, Randle, and Russell will help him get open shots though.
Nance: Draymond Green or Kawhi Leonard. Not really concerned with the defensive end for Nance, think that'll be a constant throughout his career. To make his mark in the league though, he'll need to develop a three point shot that's consistent enough so teams won't just completely sag off of him.
Upshaw: Andrew Bynum before he got into trouble. His athleticism is quite similar to Bynum and if he has the right approach to his rehabilitation, he could have a nice career. While his defense is often talked about, his offense, while raw, also has some nice features as well.
Huertas: Andre Miller. Assuming a veteran role for this team off the bench as a crafty point guard would help stabilize not only the second unit, but also help our younger guys look up to him as a leader.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Sounds crazy but Jules should study Josh Smith, Boris Diaw, and Lamar for their passing. the best slash and pass PFs that come to my mind.These guys drive and hit opposite corner shooters, something like a PG.
David Lee a couple years ago was the best 6'9 finisher at the rim that i can remember. He was the king at turning his body to shield the defender, and up/unders. Boris is also really good at that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

DLO - Ginobli, Harden, Curry, Penny
Clarkson - Tony Parker, B Scott, Brandon Roy
Randle - Blake, C Webb, Lamar
A Brown - Ariza, Middleton, Danny Green
Upshaw - Hibbert, Gobert, D. Jordan
Nance Jr. - Marion, Rambis, Madsen
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I pretty much agree with these. Aaron Gordon may be a good model for Nance if his summer league improvement carries over to the regular season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
22 wrote:

I pretty much agree with these. Aaron Gordon may be a good model for Nance if his summer league improvement carries over to the regular season.

Good call. I forgot about Gordon beasting in SPL before he got hurt horsing around
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw -
i see Patrick Ewing loved to shoot over his right shoulder in the post, as Upshaw does -- see a nice counter or two here.
Of course Roy is probably the most important guy that Upshaw can study, that's great.
And also Whiteside, in how he makes himself available in the PnR.
Marc Gasol for high post IQ also wouldn't hurt
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject:

I have to say Dennis Johnson is the guy whom I'd like to see in D'Angelo Russell's career focus. Similar bodies, athleticism and games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I have to say Dennis Johnson is the guy whom I'd like to see in D'Angelo Russell's career focus. Similar bodies, athleticism and games.

Ooh, good one. Except DLO can shoot much better than DJ did. But if he could play defense like him...watch out.
Tiez
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Players that Our Young Core Should Study/Emulate

yinoma2001 wrote:
Assuming the following make the team: DLO, Randle, Clarkson, ABrown, Nance Jr., Black, Upshaw, Huertas (maybe Holmes). Who would you recommend these guys emulate and learn from?

Huertas: Arvydas Sabonis. After a storied career overseas, came to the US at the tail end of his career. I think there's another chapter to be written in Huertas's book.

Nice thread and good role models. For Huertas I'd like to also mention Pablo Prigioni. Although I think Huertas is a different kind of player (Huertas is more light-hearted than Prigioni, who is a scrappy fighter on the court), they play the same position and Prigioni is a great example of a guy who came in the NBA in the fall of his career, only to become an invaluable bench guy for both the Knicks and the Rockets.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:

For Larry Nance Jr ? His Dad's game comes to mind. That's be great.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
For Larry Nance Jr ? His Dad's game comes to mind. That's be great.

Oops. Totally forgot about that one!
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

JClarkson: Gary Payton for his defensive prowess. Remember, he taught a young Kobe some defensive tricks.
JRandle: Definitely agree on Charles Barkley. Maybe take a class on Magic Johnson. Oscar Robertson for some trip doubles

Just off the top of my head..
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

I think Kevin Johnson would be a good player for either Russell or Clarkson to emulate.

As for Randle, this may come across as weird/wrong, but Worthy would be a good player for him to emulate. he doesn't have CBark's frreakish, otherworldly athleticism, but he does have a lightning quick first step, a great, athletic (and strong body), decent enough handles, and coast-to-coast ability. If he develops a jumper, some quick post moves, and more advanced handles, he could be a more bull-ish Worthy.

Just my .02
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

Another one off my brain housing group...

Nance Jr: Dominique Wilkins "Human Highlight Film"!
TBlack: Ben Wallace
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

I'd like to think of a better example for Randle to emulate than those old school guys pounding the varnish off the floor, but it's tough (maybe Odom). It would help a lot if the team tried to run this season.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

Clarkson-- Westbrook

Russell-- Harden

Randle-- Ibaka

Anthony Brown-- Thabo Sefolosha

Sign Durant.

Los Angeles Thunder

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

DLO: James Harden and Pete Maravich
Randle: Blake Griffin and Elvin Hayes
Clarkson: Russell Westbrook and Nate Archibald
Black: Roy Tarpley
ABrown: Trevor Ariza
Nance: Shawn Marion (agree a lot with that one)
Upshaw: Marc Gasol and Patrick Ewing
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I'd like to think of a better example for Randle to emulate than those old school guys pounding the varnish off the floor, but it's tough (maybe Odom). It would help a lot if the team tried to run this season.

Yeah, Odom is a good example but he also had exceptional length and experience as a point forward while Randle had to play as a back-to-basket big in college.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Already mentioned. Blake, C Webb, Odom
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: