Shaq's all time starting 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Shaq's all time starting 5

We already knew KD's all time starting 5 and now we got the Diesel all time starting 5. Your thoughts? I would leave Malone and Dr J off the list.

Shaq's all time starting five:

Magic
Dr J
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
Bill Russell

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/13712843/shaquille-oneal-gives-all-nba-top-five-got-couple-surprises
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Shaq's all time starting 5

ksmgf wrote:
We already knew KD's all time starting 5 and now we got the Diesel all time starting 5. Your thoughts? I would leave Malone and Dr J off the list.

Shaq's all time starting five:

Magic
Dr J
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
Bill Russell

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/13712843/shaquille-oneal-gives-all-nba-top-five-got-couple-surprises

I don't agree with most of his choices but no ones unreasonable and its not the standard guys so I like it
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject:

Shaq's taken The Man from the sixties (Russell), seventies (Erving), eighties (Magic), nineties (MJ) and one of his former team mates. Not bad decisions, though passing on Duncan for the Mailman is the toughest to appreciate.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Shaq's taken The Man from the sixties (Russell), seventies (Erving), eighties (Magic), nineties (MJ) and one of his former team mates. Not bad decisions, though passing on Duncan for the Mailman is the toughest to appreciate.

Dr. J over Kobe is the hardest.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Especially when we are shifting MJ to SF.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

yea...what's up wid dat? mj over kobe?? doesn't he know kobe is mj upgraded? russell over kobe?? russell over shaq maybe.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

yea...what's up wid dat? mj over kobe?? doesn't he know kobe is mj upgraded? russell over kobe?? russell over shaq maybe.

If he put MJ over Kobe at SG, I wouldn't really care. But if you move MJ to SF, and leave SG open, and put any player other than Kobe...I'm a little skeptical. I guess "team fit/chemistry," but who really thinks about that when making an all-time team
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

If you read the article, Shaq put Jordan at the 2 (shooting guard). So Erving is the small forward on his team.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

If you read the article, Shaq put Jordan at the 2 (shooting guard). So Erving is the small forward on his team.

Did not read it. My bad. The initial configuration in the OP threw me off
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

What ? He took MJ over Kobe and I would too.

He took Dr J over other small forwards, which I'd probably have preferred LeBron myself but Kobe's guard not a forward.

Karl Malone over Duncan ? Harder to explain than MJ Over Kobe.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I would quibble with his forwards, but neither guy is horribly down the list. At center, there are a number of guys who could fill that slot.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

What ? He took MJ over Kobe and I would too.

He took Dr J over other small forwards, which I'd probably have preferred LeBron myself but Kobe's guard not a forward.

Karl Malone over Duncan ? Harder to explain than MJ Over Kobe.

I'd bet that's one of his personal issues with a post player who he felt couldn't stop him or didn't want none (Tim not wanting to play 5). I think he probably puts Malone up there because he was one of the few guys in the league who was up to his standards of physicality and ruggedness. To me, it seems like the reasoning he uses against Doowight, even though I'm sure he has infinitely more respect for Timmy as a championship caliber player. Timmy can bang a little in the post, but he's never been the classic dominantly physical, dunk-on-yo-sh type of banger. Shaq gives Dwight the double disrespect as a paint softy AND playoff loser. That's one of Shaq and Kobe's few agreements in life.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject:

He's taken D and toughness into account.
Not my list, but I respect his choices. They're not totally out there, and all are all time greats at their position.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

I like his team a lot as an honor roll selection "by position".

I'm less fond of it in the context of it representing some sort of all-time strongest possible squad from history, though each guy is his prime was certainly exceptionally formidable in his own way.

Viewed from the perspective of the game's direction over the past fifteen years or so, Shaq's team doesn't reflect a lot of strength in three point shooting.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:

Obviously Shaq is entitled to his opinion, his 5 is by position, not the greatest players of all time. Dr. J and Malone are not top 5 players of all time. Certainly Russell has the credentials as well as MJ and MJ.
Dr.J is not better than Bird and Malone is not better than Tim or McHale.
The two players that should be on everyone list is MJ and MJ.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Not my list, but I respect his choices. They're not totally out there, and all are all time greats at their position.

So why are Magic and Dr. J on the list with D as a factor. Likewise there are two other 4's not named Karl that can absolutely bend an offense with their ability to defend...all-world, arguably best ever in fact. It's not like Karl's legacy isn't incessantly ridiculed for being a massive choke artist either. Not my list either, but I don't think he even gave that much of a thought to his picks. He picked iconic players that he likes for whatever reason. We all do that. And that's fine.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

So why are Magic and Dr. J on the list with D as a factor. Likewise there are two other 4's not named Karl that can absolutely bend an offense with their ability to defend...all-world, arguably best ever in fact. It's not like Karl's legacy isn't incessantly ridiculed for being a massive choke artist either. Not my list either, but I don't think he even gave that much of a thought to his picks. He picked iconic players that he likes for whatever reason. We all do that. And that's fine.

Magic was a very good team defender, his length as a pg was a big advantage in getting into the passing lanes. Most defense is more about team defense than one on one defense. To say Magic was not a good defensive player is just not the case. Anticipation is a very important factor in b ball, especially playing defense, Magic's anticipation /ball IQ combined with his length made him an adequate defender.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: