Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Twins, Kindergarten Cop, Equalizer, Big Trouble in Little China, Flight of the Navigator, Over the Top, Predator with Ahnuld, Office Space (maybe, wouldn't want to risk (bleep) it up though, however I have an infinite amount of faith in Mike Judge), (speaking of Judge...) Beavis and Butthead Do America, Napoleon Dynamite (same deal, I wouldn't want to risk (bleep) it up but (bleep) I would love to continue it someway, somehow, same with Groundhog Day but I know I''m only dreamin', not worth the gamble. My all time favorite movie is the G00nies however there's no way I would gamble with a sequel.

(bleep) yeah!

My money is on a horrendous Goonies reboot, though, out of all of those listed. Jesus, that list makes me want to dig into my crate of childhood toys and bust out some M.A.S.K. figures. Mask crusaders son. Fighting crime.

There should've been a Silver Bullet 2, where Corey, his sister, and Busey went on to fight the werewolf brother of the reverend they killed. It could've been like Taken 2. Corey must've chosen the Lucas script instead.

Predator 2 with Danny G was just on. I can't help but like that one, I like King Willie. Predator with Arnie was the last movie I can remember getting a legit applause by the (full) theater. I recall a smattering of applause after American Beauty, but it wasn't comparable. Predator 1 couldn't have possibly been a more perfect Summer popcorn blockbuster. Stan Winston saved their arses though. The special features showed the original predator they were gonna use. It was so bad, it stopped production until they made the call to Stan. Kevin Peter Hall's acting (RIP) gave the creature all of its recognizable mannerisms. P1 holds up well to this day because the jungle backdrop prevented it from becoming dated. The effects were superior to CGI, period. Dillon's severed arm at the shoulder looked real. It had about as much gore as a Jason flick. That's not something they do today. There's too much of an attempt now to get a blockbuster under the R threshold to make more money. Dunno if you gents have ever seen The Border (1982). It's one of Jack's relatively obscure movies, but it has him and Harvey Keitel. Elpidia Carrillo is in it. Man, she was cute back then. I'd get her to the choppa for sure.

I saw Over The Top at the movies, haha. I'm sure you bros know that Buzzsaw from Running Man was Sly's nemesis.

As far as G00nies goes, an eager and naive interviewer on a press junket for another movie actually asked Josh Brolin about reuniting for a reboot and Josh said it was in the works (effin with the guy). The dude actually believed it. Josh must've been thinking, "You idiot, you..." Vid's on YT somewhere's, I'd link it if I had it.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
Sojo wrote:
John Carter...totally.

+1

I really like this movie. Still can't figure out why it did so poorly at the movies. Would love to see a sequel someday

this movie was really good and surprising.

I know exactly why it didn't do well though: Marketing.
They marketed it all wrong. It's the reason I didn't see it in the theaters.. looked like a cheap star wars knock off.. little did I know that it was the inspiration for such great films.

I agree. That and the "John Carter" name didn't help either. They should have named it differently.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Movies you wish did better at the box office so there would be sequels

jonnybravo wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
What are yours?

Mine are the Daniel Craig/Rooney Mara "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and "Jack Reacher". Guilty pleasure pick is John Carter.

Update: it looks like Jack Reacher is getting a sequel.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
was great. I felt the original was better but my judgement could be clouded because I saw it first.

As far as Jack Reacher...yikes. Hate to do the "I read the books" line to yah los cuase ou're my guy ...but yeah, Tom as Jack Reacher was utter horse (bleep). His lack of chemistry with Rosamund Pikes was palpable. Cringe-worthy really. That scene with vertically challenged Tom trying to face off against those thugs had me sliding down my seat. It's made 10x worse with the knowledge that Jack Reacher is supposed to be this hulking, ass kicking brute. I'm definitely not one of those people that always says the books are better eiter. Peter Jackson did a 10/10 jobwith the LoTR series for example . GoT has made some changes that in some ways has improved on what GRRM has done. Etc, etc.

Yeah I remember the JR thread before the movie came out and how people were unhappy with Tom playing a guy who is supposed to be like 6'4" and massive. I would probably feel the same as you had I read the books first but when the trailer came out I didn't even know there were books lol. For me though, I thought the little elf pulled it off, it actually made me a Tom Cruise fan again and forget about all the crazy
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:

Schindler's List

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject:

Deep Blue Sea.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject:

Hellboy
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Schindler's List

Amon Goeth escapes capture and he and Oskar go on a road trip to Vegas.

Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, and Liam Neeson have been waiting for a sequel to the good roles they used to get back in those days.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Another vote for Constantine.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Twins, Kindergarten Cop, Equalizer, Big Trouble in Little China, Flight of the Navigator, Over the Top, Predator with Ahnuld, Office Space (maybe, wouldn't want to risk (bleep) it up though, however I have an infinite amount of faith in Mike Judge), (speaking of Judge...) Beavis and Butthead Do America, Napoleon Dynamite (same deal, I wouldn't want to risk (bleep) it up but (bleep) I would love to continue it someway, somehow, same with Groundhog Day but I know I''m only dreamin', not worth the gamble. My all time favorite movie is the G00nies however there's no way I would gamble with a sequel.

(bleep) yeah!

My money is on a horrendous Goonies reboot, though, out of all of those listed. Jesus, that list makes me want to dig into my crate of childhood toys and bust out some M.A.S.K. figures. Mask crusaders son. Fighting crime.

There should've been a Silver Bullet 2, where Corey, his sister, and Busey went on to fight the werewolf brother of the reverend they killed. It could've been like Taken 2. Corey must've chosen the Lucas script instead.

Predator 2 with Danny G was just on. I can't help but like that one, I like King Willie. Predator with Arnie was the last movie I can remember getting a legit applause by the (full) theater. I recall a smattering of applause after American Beauty, but it wasn't comparable. Predator 1 couldn't have possibly been a more perfect Summer popcorn blockbuster. Stan Winston saved their arses though. The special features showed the original predator they were gonna use. It was so bad, it stopped production until they made the call to Stan. Kevin Peter Hall's acting (RIP) gave the creature all of its recognizable mannerisms. P1 holds up well to this day because the jungle backdrop prevented it from becoming dated. The effects were superior to CGI, period. Dillon's severed arm at the shoulder looked real. It had about as much gore as a Jason flick. That's not something they do today. There's too much of an attempt now to get a blockbuster under the R threshold to make more money. Dunno if you gents have ever seen The Border (1982). It's one of Jack's relatively obscure movies, but it has him and Harvey Keitel. Elpidia Carrillo is in it. Man, she was cute back then. I'd get her to the choppa for sure.

I saw Over The Top at the movies, haha. I'm sure you bros know that Buzzsaw from Running Man was Sly's nemesis.

As far as G00nies goes, an eager and naive interviewer on a press junket for another movie actually asked Josh Brolin about reuniting for a reboot and Josh said it was in the works (effin with the guy). The dude actually believed it. Josh must've been thinking, "You idiot, you..." Vid's on YT somewhere's, I'd link it if I had it.

You ever see The Monster Squad? Great 80's flick. Cult classic for the few that saw it.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37200000/Lisa-Fuller-hot-women-37244664-1920-1080.png

That scene there got me through 5th grade.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
Schindler's List

Amon Goeth escapes capture and he and Oskar go on a road trip to Vegas.

Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, and Liam Neeson have been waiting for a sequel to the good roles they used to get back in those days.

Liam Neeson isn't waiting, he's on an automatic approval for any role.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas was adapted from a stand alone novel.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

1) Heat
2) Top Gun
3) Jumanji

Honorable Mention: Fox News Election Night Coverage 2008 (It was like watching Charles Manson's Widow Mourning Her husbands death in slow motion. All of the actors gave award winning perfomances. It was a beautiful movie!)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Titanic.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

You ever see The Monster Squad? Great 80's flick. Cult classic for the few that saw it.

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37200000/Lisa-Fuller-hot-women-37244664-1920-1080.png

Never seen it. I'm trying to even vaguely recall it.

That's the kinda stuff we had to use back then. We've said it before, JB, but we were the last generation to be in our self-abuse primes before the internet. I could even succeed with nothing more than pictures in my mind. Near endless capacity and boundless ability to successfully collate every bit and piece of vaguely sexual content in one's environment into a usable fantasy. Sunday morning paper bra ads, the pool scene in Ridgemont High on rental tapes that were always screwed up at that part due to overplay from other teens, etc. It was like Limitless. The pituitary gland in teen males' brains produce NZT at that age.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject:

If movies do poorly, they'll just be re-booted (Spider Man, Hulk, Fantastic 4). If movies do okay, they'll get a sequel.
If movies do well, they become an instant franchise.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Haha. I saw that title and thought, "I'm going to be the only one that's going to say John Carter."

Looks like I'm not alone!

lol... I was totally gonna say the same thing... thought I am the only one wanting a sequel to that flop...
also, a part of me wants to see a sequel to Long Ranger.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Sojo wrote:
John Carter...totally.

+1

I really like this movie. Still can't figure out why it did so poorly at the movies. Would love to see a sequel someday

my guess is the stupid title.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Selfishly, BANDITS
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

The Silhouette wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Cloud Atlas

I want a new novel too.

the novel was very different from the movie though
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Cloud Atlas

I want a new novel too.

Very different and much better IMO.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
The Silhouette wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Cloud Atlas

I want a new novel too.

Very different and much better IMO.

The movie had an interesting interpretation and extension of the book's themes, but ultimately the book proved to be too difficult to adapt.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

MR & MRS SMITH!
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Never seen it. I'm trying to even vaguely recall it.

That's the kinda stuff we had to use back then. We've said it before, JB, but we were the last generation to be in our self-abuse primes before the internet. I could even succeed with nothing more than pictures in my mind. Near endless capacity and boundless ability to successfully collate every bit and piece of vaguely sexual content in one's environment into a usable fantasy. Sunday morning paper bra ads, the pool scene in Ridgemont High on rental tapes that were always screwed up at that part due to overplay from other teens, etc. It was like Limitless. The pituitary gland in teen males' brains produce NZT at that age.

Haha Z, for me it was the garage parking lot scene in Tango & Cash.

JB! Dude, a few weeks ago I came across Monster Squad on Netflix, I tried the watch it but it kept freezing. Well after reading your post, I ordered a couple pizzas and decided to give it a try again last night. I did a tiny bit of research online and saw people comparing it to the g00nies.
While it was fun going back to the 80s, it in no way came close to comparing to the g00nies. It's like comparing Macho Man to random cheap guy, Robert Bobby Salsa. I am happy I watched it though. The little girl was pretty cute and funny. The g00nies mom was in it. RIP Wayne from Wonder Years was in it.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, I really liked that film.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Hellboy 2 and Serenity
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: