Metta World Peace talks about mentoring Julius Randle and working on his game

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Metta World Peace talks about mentoring Julius Randle and working on his game

This was in a covered article already

Quote:
So much of the Lakers' intrigue with bringing back World Peace at 35 years old centers on how impactful he's been in the gym for the young players, especially Randle.

Every day, Randle is mesmerized with the intellect of World Peace. Everything Randle tries on World Peace – the pump fake, the jab step, the subtle moves to create a sliver of space and a shot – are seldom successful.

Maybe Metta used to be stronger. Maybe he used to be quicker. All Randle knows is this, he says: "He isn't biting on anything. He has the greatest hands I've ever seen play. You've got to give him everything you've got to get a bucket on him. Everything.

"I played one on one against Kobe in the preseason last year, and you'd play perfect defense against him; you can guess right on everything and it still doesn't matter. He's still going to make the shot. Metta is the same way. He's going to guess everything right. He disrupts your rhythm. You're going to have to make the tough shot over him."

After World Peace didn't like the way Randle was stopping the ball in a practice facility pickup game, he shot him a text later in the afternoon. "Go watch how the Spurs move without the ball," World Peace instructed Randle. So, Randle turned on his laptop and started watching the simple genius of the Spurs.

As Randle proudly remembers, "The next week, [Metta] said, "I can see you've been watching the film.'" He goes out of his way to make things easy for me."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kobe-bryant--metta-world-peace-lead-lakers--education-of-julius-randle-021735823.html

But these from another interview entirely that speaks volumes at what Metta is teaching him.

Quote:
What are your impressions of Julius’ development?

World Peace: “I think he’s definitely physical. I want to continue to teach him on how to use his body positioning. Right now, I think he’s quick and he’s physical. But he has to continue to learn the angles on the court that’s going to benefit him right now. There’s times he can do certain things. I’m trying to help him and continue to talk to him about how to play off the ball. I’m trying to talk to him about playing on and off the ball.
The Lakers have been great. I’m home a lot with my children. I like to stay around the game and I like to teach. The Lakers and coach [Byron] Scott have been letting me come around and just talk. I like to talk. They’ve been letting me talk to Julius and help out. It’s really been fulfilling to me to have the opportunity.”
I see how he is learning little things that will make the Lakers better. If he can continue to learn the little things, you’ll see the Lakers in the playoffs.”
But it’s going to take hard work and intelligence.”

How does Julius go about positioning his body, using angles and playing off the ball?

World Peace: “You can’t really implement things in one day. It takes time. I’ve seen him a couple of times put some of the stuff we’ve been talking about into the game. A lot of people look at me as a defender. But a lot of people forget I averaged 20 points in the league before. Right before the Brawl, I was averaging 25 points a game [24.6]. The year before that, I was averaging 20 [18.3]. I was averaging 20 in Sacramento [18.7] and 22 in the playoffs against the Lakers. I scored the ball. Some people forget that. My defense was always really really good. So people forget I was a good scorer.
He’s going to continue to gain advantages as long as he continues to gain intelligence. I’m always talking about the intelligent part of the game. He’s getting that. He’s driving and kicking now. That is real important. People don’t understand how important driving and kicking is. It seems simple. But it’s an important part of the game. It’s things like that that can make or break a season.”

Why is driving and kicking so important?

World Peace: “Driving and kicking is important for a few reasons. On the kick, you’re getting a lot of closeout defenders. When you drive in the back, you’re getting a defender helping. When you hit the pass to that defender’s man, then everybody is in scramble mode on defense. Driving and kicking is very important. It’s not easy to do. You can say, ‘I can drive and kick.’ But you have to have really good timing. You can’t just drive and kick for no reason. Then you run into a lot of defenders.
There’s little things like that that young players don’t really understand. Then there’s spacing. When I was a young player, I didn’t understand how important it was just to stay in the corner. I didn’t understand that. I always would come up [to the top of the key]. There’s a big difference from being in the corner to being three steps away from the corner. That changes the whole game. That changes the whole possession. There’s things like that, moving three steps to the left or three steps to the right, that can change a whole possession. It can make a really big difference on your season.”

It remains to be seen if the Lakers will sign you for this upcoming season. But what do you think you’ve done being at their facility for most of the summer?

World Peace: “I’ve tried to continue to talk to them, not just Julius. I try to talk to all of the young guys. I’m a Bulls fan. I grew up a Bulls fan. When my career is over and I’m done coaching and I’m 70 years old, I’m going to return to being a Bulls fan. I already got it all planned out. I already have my jerseys and everything I’m going to wear. I’m always going to be a Bulls fan. I won’t forget my roots. I support the Knicks heavily. I’m a heavy supporter of the Knicks. But as of right now, I’m a Lakers fan. I root for the Lakers. I watch the Lakers. I watched every game last season.
I remember possessions last year where guys were so clogged up because of the young rookies, and the spacing was bad. I remember when I saw certain possessions, I kept yelling, ‘Spacing, spacing’ as I’m rooting for the Lakers on TV in China. I actually enjoyed it. I’m a fan that wants to see the Lakers get back. I have a vested interest in seeing these guys do well. Now I’m watching the Lakers on TV. I’m rooting for Kobe [Bryant] and the Lakers. Everybody is saying the Lakers aren’t going to the playoffs. I’m like, ‘The Lakers are going to the playoffs.'”

So when you analyze all the things you were talking about regarding Julius, what do you think his potential is this upcoming season?

World Peace: “I think his potential is great. I think he catches on quickly. As I was talking to him, I see that he caught on quickly. His thing is going to be in order to win now, he has to prepare now. He cannot wait until day one. Then you’ll be two months behind schedule. So he has to start to win now. He has to think about winning now. Once he steps foot in the gym, he has to think about winning. He can’t start in preseason and he can’t start on the first day of the season.
The other thing is once he loses, he will understand why he lost. When he makes a mistake, he understands why he made a mistake. When he doesn’t move the ball, next time he will move the ball and run pick-and-roll. He catches on really quick. If he can continue that evolution as the game goes on, I think he’ll be fine. I think he’ll be an important piece to the Lakers going to the playoffs.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2015/09/23/metta-world-peace-intrigued-with-julius-randles-potential/

Julius working on the 'drive and kick' and improving his angles, is a VERY big deal imo as it's something that will open up the floor entirely for him, but I think it's fantastic that Metta has taken a mentorship role to not just Julius but the other team members, really think this guy would make a fantastic assistant players development coach for us, lots of knowledge in that head and he could be another body other than Madsen for guys to have to body up against.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject:

This is the kind of thinking I wish we heard from our coach last season.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

I frign love Ron.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

So much of the Lakers' intrigue with bringing back World Peace at 35 years old centers on how impactful he's been in the gym for the young players, especially Randle.

At least somebody is in the gym. Take note D'Angelo Russell and Jordan Clarkson.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

I guess Ron is a coach - he knows what do, he just can't do it himself. I was dying when I read that he told Randle to go watch Spurs film - apparently Randle was being a ball stopper. Ok, guy who single-handedly killed the Triangle with his ball stopping.

BTW, Ron is great, Game 7 for life. Just thought that was funny.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
I guess Ron is a coach - he knows what do, he just can't do it himself. I was dying when I read that he told Randle to go watch Spurs film - apparently Randle was being a ball stopper. Ok, guy who single-handedly killed the Triangle with his ball stopping.

BTW, Ron is great, Game 7 for life. Just thought that was funny.

"He passed me the ball!"
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
I frign love Ron.

Yea, i never thought i'd like him this much. this role is perfect for him, he really is one of the best defenders i've ever seen. and beyond his skills, he is gifted with a great body for defense. just super strong, mobile, yet anchored, and his crazy hands.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

Yep Ron in his prime being a 20+ ppg scorer Aa well as such a great defender is a rare commodity today and he was a great difference maker because of it.

Passing that kind of stuff to Randle as well as Randle trying his moves against him in the gym and practice will make him tighten it up. Metta will force him to.
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

I love that he got on Randle about moving the ball. This was one of my biggest gripes with him this summer league.

If Ron doesn't make the team I hope they hire him on as a player development coach.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

Good to see that Julius is such a quick learner, that will enhance his development. And (incorporating from the JR thread) it is great to see that Kobe sees that Randle is worth his time, Kobe won't tutor you unless he believes you have special talent and the maturity to accept his criticism.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

Ron in his prime would be lebrons nemisis in the league today.. lol

seriously though... this is awesome.

Ron is making the difference for julius to be julius randle and not just a supersized xavier henry.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

this will continue all season

@WojYahooNBA: Metta World Peace will sign a one-year deal today to return to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Even Metta last season saw that the spacing was bad
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Hire him as a coach already!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Hire him as a coach already!

This might be the front office's way of giving Ron a test run as a development coach. If he mentors the young guys and proves he can be a positive influence with them, the FO might make him a full time coach next year.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

LA Lakers’ Metta World Peace eager to take a mentorship role

MWP IS READY TO GO!!!
Quote:
The Lakers’ media day setting would appear to tap into World Peace’s wheelhouse, the throngs of reporters and cameramen likely leading the Lakers forward to show off his eccentric personality. Yet, the Lakers’ 35-year-old also maintained he will hardly offer any goofy quotes or bulletin board material that once amused reporters, teammates and team officials alike.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150927/la-lakers-metta-world-peace-eager-to-take-a-mentorship-role
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

It's great to see. MWP was such a self-centered guy when he was younger. Now, he's grown and matured and he really sees the value in teaching the young guys the ways of the basketball world.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: