Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs

First D'Angelo & Kobe weighed in on the issue, then Kareem and now Mitch believes this team has a shot at the play-offs.

Of course BEFORE the season starts everybody has a "shot" of making the playoffs.
However I like the attitude of the Lakers going into the season. It's a statement of our intentions to win & not back down from any team. It will be a challenge but "that's why they play the game."

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak told USA TODAY Sports recently that he had realistic hopes of his Los Angeles Lakers pushing for a playoff spot this season, it’s safe to say he pushed the limits of this glass-is-half-full practice. On the heels of their torturous two-year stretch (combined record: 48-116), a 37-year-old Kobe Bryant can’t be seen as a savior as he returns yet again from a devastating injury. And the cast of characters around him – for the most part – is fairly seen as either inexperienced or ineffective. What’s more, the Western Conference is as daunting a place as it has ever been.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2015/09/24/mitch-kupchak-los-angeles-lakers/72701178/

Last edited by pio2u on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

Mitch says that every year. Good for him and I wouldn't expect anything else from him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Mitch says that every year. Good for him and I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

You noticed that too!

But I love it!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject:

Lakers have missed the playoffs three, going on four, times under Kupchak.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

Kareem's expectations:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25314133/kareem-abdul-jabbar-on-the-lakers-i-expect-them-to-make-the-playoffs
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

This thread is giving me a case of Déjá vu.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

It's not outlandish. If Russell and Randle play like we know they're capable of they should both be in running for rookie of the year. Clarkson should pick up right where he left off in his rookie season. Limiting Kobe's minutes and keeping him healthy. Think a change of scenery could help Hibbert. He's still a defensive presence better than we've had the last couple of seasons since Howard left.

With the reigning sixth man of the year in Lou Williams and a solid vet like Brandon Bass, a good hustle player in Black, and while he was terrible last year Young was also playing on a bad knee. Being healthy now and in a role that suits him I expect a much better year from Young.

Having both Russell and Clarkson will make things a lot easier on Kobe. You're talking about two young players who are both capable play makers as well as guys who can get into the teeth of the defense, penetrate, and get to the free throw line. Kobe will need to play off the ball more. Has never really done it in his career, but in order to stay healthy and be efficient we can't have him try to make every play. Get him in the post, on his sweet spots, and on the wing in transition.

Last edited by Lakers2015 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

What else do people expect?

To be fair, we are a much better team than last year so his comment this year is less tongue in cheek.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

If Randle and Russell each stays healthy and each also plays closely to their projected high sides, this will be a fun team to watch until we're eliminated from the hunt to reach the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
If Randle and Russell each stays healthy and each also plays closely to their projected high sides, this will be a fun team to watch until we're eliminated from the hunt to reach the playoffs.

Yup. We aren't going to be a "1-2-3 Cancun" sort of team. We'll have lots of young guys eager to show they mean business even if the record doesn't reflect it.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Yup. We aren't going to be a "1-2-3 Cancun" sort of team. We'll have lots of young guys eager to show they mean business even if the record doesn't reflect it.

This team will easily be more fun to watch than the teams from the past two seasons (scrubs & has-beens).

At least we have youth and new players to watch grow instead of what we had to endure previously.
This season should be exciting, interesting, unpredictable and fun as the young guns try to make their mark in the NBA.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

It's possible, but would require a lot of health on Kobe's part, and a lot of impact from the young guys. Hibbert as well would need to be a major asset, play like the motivated defensive player he was 2-3 years ago. I'd say if everything goes perfectly, or near perfect, we'd hit a ceiling of 45 wins which I think is good enough the coming year to be an 8th seed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers GM believes his team has a shot at the playoffs

pio2u wrote:
First D'Angelo & Kobe weighed in on the issue, then Kareem and now Mitch believes this team has a shot at the play-offs.

Of course BEFORE the season starts everybody has a "shot" of making the playoffs.
However I like the attitude of the Lakers going into the season.

Seems like one of Mitch's generic, politely phrased, politically correct comments that doesn't mean much: "If all our vets stay healthy, our rookies develop faster than expected, and some of the top teams have injuries, we could squeeze into the end of the playoffs."

But that's Mitch. He's never going to say anything that creates an actual headline people will talk about.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

To be fair, we are a much better team than last year so his comment this year is less tongue in cheek.

Instead of relying on Jordan Hill at center we now have a legit defensive center in Hibbert. And solid vets in Bass and Lou (and I would add Huertas) instead of guys like Lin and Ellington. Barring serious injuries, we should be much better this season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Instead of relying on Jordan Hill at center we now have a legit defensive center in Hibbert. And solid vets in Bass and Lou (and I would add Huertas) instead of guys like Lin and Ellington. Barring serious injuries, we should be much better this season.

Better no doubt.

But regardless, we have fewer rental players and more long-term guys on the team we can finally set some roots with. That was the most unenjoyable thing about last year's team. So many rentals who were more than happy to say 1-2-3 Cancun.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Better no doubt.

But regardless, we have fewer rental players and more long-term guys on the team we can finally set some roots with. That was the most unenjoyable thing about last year's team. So many rentals who were more than happy to say 1-2-3 Cancun.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

Has there ever been a team that went to the playoffs with a bunch of rookies and/or first year guys?

Didn't Michigan go far in the NCAA March Madness with a bunch of freshmen? I know, that's just college ball.

Could our Lakers be "special"?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mitch Kupchak Press Conference today live at 1pm PST (09/24/15)

I hope this doesn't mean Mitch is going to retract his statement about the playoffs!

Quote:
Mitch: "I'm just sayin', you see, what I really meant was that just MAYBE ............ "
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

Mitch says some of the most empty cliche words there ever exist
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Mitch says some of the most empty cliche words there ever exist

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

To be fair, also won 5 chips in the same 19 seasons
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

To be fair, also won 5 chips in the same 19 seasons

that sounds a lot better.

I like being FAIR
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You noticed that too!

But I love it!

Exactly...
For anyone that's forgotten, he also said that last year and the year before too.
If I remember correctly, he said the previous years team could contend in the west -
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject:

Considering we have actual players on this team now instead of complete utter garbage like Ellington, Wesley Johnson, Jordan Hill, Lin, Boozer, etc.

Instead of Jordan Hill or Robert Sacre, we have Roy Hibbert starting.
Instead of Wayne Ellington or Jabari Brown, we have Jordan Clarkson starting.
Instead of Ronnie Price or Lin of Vander freaking Blue, we have DeAngelo Russell starting.
Instead of Wesley Johnson or Ryan (bleep) Kelly starting, we have Kobe Bryant starting (for more games than last season at least).
Instead of Boozer or Ryan freaking Kelly again, we have Julius Randle starting.

This team's starting lineup has upgraded at literally every single position, as well as having a much more upgraded bench such as Lou Williams and Brandon Bass being the big examples, as well as moving Tarik Black to backup Center.

Lastly, playoff teams from last year that have clearly been downgraded such as the Blazers and the Mavs.

We certainly have a shot, at least the best shot to make the playoffs we have had in the last couple of years.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's possible, but would require a lot of health on Kobe's part, and a lot of impact from the young guys. Hibbert as well would need to be a major asset, play like the motivated defensive player he was 2-3 years ago. I'd say if everything goes perfectly, or near perfect, we'd hit a ceiling of 45 wins which I think is good enough the coming year to be an 8th seed.

I absolutely agree, there is of course a reasonably good chance this team makes the playoffs, but as pointed out "health" is a major issue along with the younger players reaching or surpassing expectations this year. All of which are not unreasonable expectations.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: