Mitch Kupchak Press Conference today live at 1pm PST (09/24/15)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
"If there's a player that clearly outplays a player on a guarantee...we have to sit down and see what we can do. I think ownership would give us the flexibility to what we need to do."

Ryan Kelly just dropped his Fresca on his floor.

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I was a little taken aback by how cautiously he prepared Lakers fans for Russell this upcoming season. He did say he was growing more comfortable in work outs than from what we saw in the Summer League, but overall it didn't sound like he was expecting anything ROY worthy.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I was a little taken aback by how cautiously he prepared Lakers fans for Russell this upcoming season. He did say he was growing more comfortable in work outs than from what we saw in the Summer League, but overall it didn't sound like he was expecting anything ROY worthy.

Even if Russell was able to play as a major star right away, I think Mitch would say same. He's going to protect his draft pick. He's not going to higher the bar for next year, he's going to lower it to make sure Russ doesn't get roasted for not living up to a certain expectation from media/fans etc.

It's the right thing to do/say.

BTW, Lakers wouldn't have signed so many ball handling guards AND think Kobe could possibly play a significant role - without at least considering that it is likely Russ wouldn't be a major player right away. It's likely they want to bring him along slowly, and signing Lou Williams, keeping Clarkson and adding a point guard from Europe, just cements that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Even if Russell was able to play as a major star right away, I think Mitch would say same. He's going to protect his draft pick. He's not going to higher the bar for next year, he's going to lower it to make sure Russ doesn't get roasted for not living up to a certain expectation from media/fans etc.

It's the right thing to do/say.

BTW, Lakers wouldn't have signed so many ball handling guards AND think Kobe could possibly play a significant role - without at least considering that it is likely Russ wouldn't be a major player right away. It's likely they want to bring him along slowly, and signing Lou Williams, keeping Clarkson and adding a point guard from Europe, just cements that.

That was another odd part of the press conference, albeit I had trouble hearing all the names thrown out, he basically said everyone but Kobe was a combo guard. Even Frazier made the cut.

But yes, I agree it's the smart thing to say. Particuarly if Okafor runs away with RoY, which I expect, it's going to get ugly.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

44 wrote:
22 wrote:
44 wrote:
Two slots open says Mitch.

Interrupted apparently so he didn't elaborate.

It's difficult without hearing the questions.

yeah you get 20 slots for training camp and we have 18 signed right now

Oh I see, I thought it was about the 15 slots on the final roster.

Thanks for that information.

No prop 44! And with the MWP signing we're at 19. I'm not sure if his deal is guaranteed or not.

And might I add you are a pleasure to post with Go Lakers!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
44 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
TWC just cut off the press conference!!! They cannot be serious!!!

They are on 24/7 with nothing but repeats of their hackneyed Lakers Top 10 this that or the other, or Backstage Whoever, and then they have a live presser with the GM of the team which happens, what, a couple of times a year, and they can't be bothered to carry the entire event??!!

I guess they have to keep the air time clear for the 5,749th airing of Lakers Top 10 Peanut Vendors.

Good grief. Pathetic.

Is that what happened. Wow

Terrible company, terrible channel. Just be a pirate.

Aaayyyyyy matey!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

1 Mitch spoke highly of Upshaw, although still referred to his shortcomings. Seemed really up on his talent tho, repeatedly mentioned his "talent" etc

2. Roster spots. when asked about MWP, Mitch said they have to be careful not to sign too many gauruntees and take a roster spot away from an Upshaw hopeful, not before they know the vet(MWP) is really legit. So I'm guessing MWPs contract isn't gaurunteed
Mitch also said they can waive gaurunteed guys in favor of a better player w no guaruntee
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
TWC just cut off the press conference!!! They cannot be serious!!!

They are on 24/7 with nothing but repeats of their hackneyed Lakers Top 10 this that or the other, or Backstage Whoever, and then they have a live presser with the GM of the team which happens, what, a couple of times a year, and they can't be bothered to carry the entire event??!!

I guess they have to keep the air time clear for the 5,749th airing of Lakers Top 10 Peanut Vendors.

Good grief. Pathetic.

I was just watching my DVR of it. That was ridiculous, but I bet they're saving the rest of it because they have an AccessSportsnet: Lakers tonight at 7. Weak...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: