Metta World Peace signing 1 year deal today to return to the Los Angeles Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject:

May many fans' hands be kissed!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
As long as I like MWP, I think it's wasting a roster spot. He's gonna be worse than he was 2 years ago with the Knicks, as he simply doesn't have that physical strength anymore.

I'd love to have the old Ron Artest aboard, but those days are gone. Helping develop the young guys? Yes, he will, but he could do it as a staff member. Maybe not the same thing, but is it worth to waste a roster spot on that?
you don't know anything

I just happen to have a different opinion, if you can't handle it, shouldn't be in a discussion forum. Sorry for you.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject:

Is this a bad joke?

I loved Ron ...but....please
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

Love the signing. Most NBA teams have enough talent to win, but it's moves like this one that actually take a team to the next level.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject:

Been absorbing this one overnight. Not thrilled with the move but don't hate it either. Basically willing to see what kind of shape he is in and if he can play anymore, even if on a limited basis. Could be interesting if he can consistently play 10-15mpg.

Still wonder if he is being added to the roster just for training camp then cut/signed as a developmental coach. Perhaps that is more wishful thinking then reality.

Honestly not the signing I was looking for. I am more intrigued by giving the roster spot and mpg to guys like Nance, Holmes, Frazier or A. Brown. If MWP makes the final roster you have to think one of those guys is cut.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

I love MWP being around the team, just not sure i'd like a roster spot to be taken. But not going to hate it if he makes the team. He'd be the only other guy with a championship ring and that means a lot. Kobe relates to MWP and he will be the cool uncle buying DLO/Randle beer but telling Upshaw to not dare have a sip.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I love MWP being around the team, just not sure i'd like a roster spot to be taken. But not going to hate it if he makes the team. He'd be the only other guy with a championship ring and that means a lot. Kobe relates to MWP and he will be the cool uncle buying DLO/Randle beer but telling Upshaw to not dare have a sip.

Plus we finally have someone who won't run away when a teammate gets mugged. MWP will have everyone's back in the heat of battle.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
There is no way he will be able to defend the better players at his position. I do not like the move. If the Lakers want his influence they should of hired him as a practice coach/consultant.

You (and others) are assuming that was an option. It was reported that Artest wanted back in the NBA, doubtful he would settle for a coaching job if his intent is to play.

Yea, teams were waiting inline to sign an old slow player. Hopefully MWP does not turn into RA. You know he will try to play "bully ball" to impress the younger players. "A Zebra never changes his stripes"

How do you know he's slow are you in El Segundo?

Ron was once young and slow now he is OLD and slow----------er.
KG24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
As long as I like MWP, I think it's wasting a roster spot. He's gonna be worse than he was 2 years ago with the Knicks, as he simply doesn't have that physical strength anymore.

I'd love to have the old Ron Artest aboard, but those days are gone. Helping develop the young guys? Yes, he will, but he could do it as a staff member. Maybe not the same thing, but is it worth to waste a roster spot on that?
you don't know anything

I just happen to have a different opinion, if you can't handle it, shouldn't be in a discussion forum. Sorry for you.

If he is as bad as you believe, then he will not make the team, and there is nothing for you to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Love the signing. Most NBA teams have enough talent to win, but it's moves like this one that actually take a team to the next level.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:

Amen
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

Love all the overreactions in this thread, like we were gonna compete this year anyways. Or we have some stud SF rookie that he is going to be taking minutes away from, if he gets any minutes at all. I swear I do not know why some of you even follow the team anymore. Every single bit of news from the team seems to have some running for their baby bottle and blanket.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Amen

I think by level, he meant that our average age has hit the next age bracket level though.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Amen

You will need "Devine Intervention" if MWP is going to take this team to the next level.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Amen

You will need "Devine Intervention" if MWP is going to take this team to the next level.

You don't understand. MWP IS the next level!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject:

I actually agree with the concept of MWP taking the Lakers to the next level.

Wouldn't the "next level" for a 20 win team be 35-40 wins and being competitive every night. Maybe a step closer to earning a playoff spot?

MWP feels like a chemistry move to me. Same as Huertas. With so many young guys and a player like Hibbert trying to regain some confidence the Lakers need some vets to help the cause.

I have no clue if MWP is healthy enough to help at all. He has been around the facility so the coaches can see if he is still "old and slow" or perhaps "rejuvenated and slow". Not completely sold on the signing but if he can mentor and legitimately contribute 15mpg defensively every night it could be a really good move.

This year the next level is as simple as winning a few more games and not being blown out by 30 at halftime.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

It's funny because my wife and I, long time Laker fans since 1980, have always thought Metta was great to have. Something about him that we always liked. His grit, his attitude, his crazy. I don't know but he does help with chemistry and keeps clowns like Swaggy PeePee in check. He adds fun but seriousness at the same time.

Oh and the team needs to get the right defensive mindset, doesn't matter how how old he is (By the way, younger than Kobe), he can make a contribution.

So, all you haters, keep in mind, this team is NOT going to be a contender but we need to get tougher, stronger, build for the future. I like seeing Kobe and Metta work together with Scott to help these guys out.

Great job and loyalty from the Lakers brass. I would like to see Metta join the coaching staff at some point.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
Voices wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
There is no way he will be able to defend the better players at his position. I do not like the move. If the Lakers want his influence they should of hired him as a practice coach/consultant.

You (and others) are assuming that was an option. It was reported that Artest wanted back in the NBA, doubtful he would settle for a coaching job if his intent is to play.

Yea, teams were waiting inline to sign an old slow player. Hopefully MWP does not turn into RA. You know he will try to play "bully ball" to impress the younger players. "A Zebra never changes his stripes"

How do you know he's slow are you in El Segundo?

Ron was once young and slow now he is OLD and slow----------er.

you're right, once he was young and slow - and one of the most dominant defensive players in history. you think the 15th guy on the roster would be better than mwp? you're dreaming. it's important to have vets with awesome work ethic in practice and the gym like mwp. no one is expecting him to shut down lebron.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

I'm good with this move. Maybe the Lakers realize the only way to keep MWP working with JR and the other young uns is to have him on the roster.

Kind of like with Steve Nash. As a player he didn't contribute much if anything at all. But as Jordan Clarkson's mentor he was invaluable.

And maybe the Lakers just don't hire people to mentor players and these old pros don't do things for free. Look at Nash, the Lakers apparently didn't want to hire him as a coach so he bolted to GSW who would.

You would think they would hire Kareem as a Player development coach to mentor all of their young centers...but they never did.

Imagine a full time Player development staff of:

Kareem
Malone
Worthy/MWP
Nash
and someday Kobe

I would hope MWP works on defense with JR, Nance, ABrown, Clarkson, DLo, Holmes. MWP would be worth his weight in gold if those guys all developed into good to great defenders because of MWP.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

it's one thing to tell a young player what to do as a coach. it's another thing entirely to challenge them daily in practice.

can you imagine if upshaw adopted metta's gym/practice attitude? metta had to work harder than most nba players because of his lack of athleticism. he could teach these young guys a thing or two.

Last edited by All_Star_Laker on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
some must have very bad memories. He looked very bad in his last years. Add on a couple more years of age to that and I dont even want to imagine.

Even though it's one year, I agree this is a total waste. I would have rather the Lakers go for another younger sf than Metta. Metta will take minutes away from others because Byron will use him to win games in tough match ups. This will take minutes away from Randle.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
some must have very bad memories. He looked very bad in his last years. Add on a couple more years of age to that and I dont even want to imagine.

Even though it's one year, I agree this is a total waste. I would have rather the Lakers go for another younger sf than Metta. Metta will take minutes away from others because Byron will use him to win games in tough match ups. This will take minutes away from Randle.

minutes on the court - sure maybe he'll take away a few if he's playing well. but what he teaches them in practice will be invaluable
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

I never saw Ron Artest in his prime. How did he compare defensively vs some of the great defenders of recent history?

Pippen
Rodman
MCooper
Bowen

They had to guard some of the greatest players of all time:

Pippen -> Magic, Bird?,Dr.. J? who else?
Rodman ->Bird?, Magic?, Malone, who else?
MCooper -> Bird, Dr J
Bowen -> Kobe

R Artest -> Kobe, Lebron (did prime Artest ever guard Prime Lebron?)

Of all of them who would have done the best against Prime Lebron? I would guess Rodman.

thanks,
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject:

the Lakers are a mess!! I would have welcomed Ron back as assitant coach or player development coach but as a player no.

Watch Scott start him with Kobe and Hibbert... we could have the slowest starting lineup in the history of the world!
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I never saw Ron Artest in his prime. How did he compare defensively vs some of the great defenders of recent history?

Pippen
Rodman
MCooper
Bowen

They had to guard some of the greatest players of all time:

Pippen -> Magic, Bird?,Dr.. J? who else?
Rodman ->Bird?, Magic?, Malone, who else?
MCooper -> Bird, Dr J
Bowen -> Kobe

R Artest -> Kobe, Lebron (did prime Artest ever guard Prime Lebron?)

Of all of them who would have done the best against Prime Lebron? I would guess Rodman.

thanks,

Ron Ron in Chicago and later in Indiana was a beast on defense. Probably better than those you mentioned above except maybe Pippen. He was a lock down BEAST!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: