Bynum right now can play better than Kwame
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Everyone knew Kwame was a bust but still people kept the faith, bad idea.
B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Watching bynum for a long stint,now i see why phil doesnt play him. Bynum is a long way away from playing full time. 3 to 4 yrs. He has slow instincts. Clumsy right now. Yea he brings size on defense,but he is very clumsy.

I like David harrisotn of the Pacers a little better. Quicker instincts. More athletic.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I wouldn't say Bynum should start over Kwame, I would easily decrease Kwame's minutes by 10 per and give those to Bynum.

why?

bynum physically isnt ready... an injury will set him back. He doesnt need that, the lakers as a team dont need that.
He shows glimpses of his potential, his skill but he cant be counted on w/ consistent minutes.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject:

At 18, Bynum is still not mature physically. No man is physically mature at 18. How many athletic records are broken by 18 year old men? His athletic peak won't be reached until his mid to late twenties. He can play a bit, but I trust the coaches to know how to handle his minutes. Phil said prior to the game that this was not the kind of team that Bynum would prosper against at this point in his career. Later, when Bynum develops more, he should be able to handle any team. Right now, the coaches still want to pick and choose spots. I see comparisons to Harrison, who is 23. Harrison has more physical maturity and experience. He should be better than Bynum at this point. He's more than 5 years older with 4 years college and a year in the NBA. What's shocking is there isn't much of a difference. In fact, you might argue that head-to-head Bynum has done very well. Bynum had 8 points and 9 rebounds in 12 minutes this season against the Pacers. What will Bynum be like in 3 years, which is around the age Shaq left college?
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bynum right now can play better than Kwame

LakerJam wrote:

Kwame is an absolutely superb man defender, night in and night out.

Huh?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I wouldn't say Bynum should start over Kwame, I would easily decrease Kwame's minutes by 10 per and give those to Bynum.

why?

bynum physically isnt ready... an injury will set him back. He doesnt need that, the lakers as a team dont need that.
He shows glimpses of his potential, his skill but he cant be counted on w/ consistent minutes.

Well neither can Kwame.

I do think he'll hurt at all from playing 10-15 mpg. He's trying a lot of new stuff. There is no better practice than the actual game itself.

Even he just averages 4 points and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes - It's something.

I hate him rotting on the bench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject:

no. dumb idea. bynum is NOT the savior you all want him to be. You think Phil LIKES kwame? No, he doesn't. ou think Phil LIKES losing? no, he doesn't.

If Phil does not think Andrew is ready, he isn't.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

Bynum is good for 10-15mpg, but Phil isn't high on playing rookies. I would like to see Bynum play more, but I would yield to a man who has nine rings as a coach. Phil knows what he's doing.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
no. dumb idea. bynum is NOT the savior you all want him to be. You think Phil LIKES kwame? No, he doesn't. ou think Phil LIKES losing? no, he doesn't.

If Phil does not think Andrew is ready, he isn't

Phil is the one that really convinced Kwame to come to LA from what people said in the summer.

Phil also hit it off with Kwame in the summer according to Mitch.

You better believe that if Phil demoted Kwame - the franchise would take notice and not listen to him much further on personnel moves.

They already balked at any suggestion of his to trade Bynum. I'm not saying that's 100% true, but don't buy into Phil doing what's best for the team.

A ton of times, Phil does what's best for Phil. The same Phil that suggested we trade a 21 year old Kobe Bryant for Kidd and Marion.

Again, I'm not saying Drew should play 30 mpg. But he needs to play 10 mpg and not go 4-5 games without playing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I hate him rotting on the bench.

Now that is taking it a little far. He is not rotting on the bench. He is 18 years old, he is a rookie. He is not a 25 year old soon to be entering his prime player, who isn't getting PT.

Though I do agree I would like to see him on the floor more. And I do agree that Phil does what is best for Phil, I think the handling of Bynum thus far has been going well.

By giving him a certain ammount of minutes every game like 10 -15 to place upon him more pressures to perfom, that at this stage in his carreer he may not really need. Right now there is no pressure on him whatsoever that he doesn't place on himself, whether he has a good night or a bad night. There are no real expectations to fullfil.
"Kobe Bryant is an absolute nightmare. You can hold your breath, send for help, sacrifice a chicken, it won't matter. Kobe Bryant is coming for you. He's got the ball and he's going to score...some way, some how."
Dancing Barry
Hye4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

Does anyone know Bynums plus minus statistic when he is on the floor. Just watching the games it seems like he makes a positive impact in the game, I just want to know if the statistics prove that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
By giving him a certain ammount of minutes every game like 10 -15 to place upon him more pressures to perfom, that at this stage in his carreer he may not really need. Right now there is no pressure on him whatsoever that he doesn't place on himself, whether he has a good night or a bad night. There are no real expectations to fullfil

Drew needs to play with the best players on the team.

He needs to play with Kobe and Odom as well as Mihm.

If he plays with the 2nd and 3rd units, he's getting bad passes and no real player drawing the attention (making his job harder)

I think I would play Bynum 10 minutes a game (Two 5 minute spurts) with Bryant and Odom.

But that's just me. I don't see how that's pressure. The kid responded to Shaq dominating him by schooling him on the other end. I think he responds well to pressure.

Not everyone is Kwame Brown, ya know.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

We'd all like to see more minutes for Bynum. He makes some mistakes, but so do Kwame and Mihm.

Mihm, I think, is playing up to his ability. That's all we can ask. He is either a decent/avg starting center, or a good back-up.

Kwame is good in flashes on the offensive end, but also horrible at times. He has shown strong defense, but also gets lost at times. The game still move too fast for Kwame. Not sure that will ever change.
LA_UNION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Bynum is not quite ready yet. Look at how he responded to a back to back game!
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

no, he can't. stupid thread.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
bynum is not ready for the start yet. he is being brought in slow nicely by phil. i would increase his minutes though.

And he has a ways to go
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

Bynum gives you a very good feeling about the Lakers' future. An 18 year old, who can play center in the NBA? He looked good on Shaq. He looked good on Duncan. Jermaine O'Neal gave him some foul trouble. He has a lot to learn. He has one of the best ever to play to teach him. The future looks bright.
KobeLakers4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bynum right now can play better than Kwame

LakerJam wrote:
saidodeh wrote:
there. I said it. Kwame is horrible! I say give Bynum 15 mpg for 3 or 4 games. lets see what he can do. i think the kid can give the Lakers 5 and 5 with no problem. Kwame doesnt need a trainer or a basketball coach....... he needs a psychiatrist who can treat him for his horrible case of un-motivation when playing basketball.

Spoken like a fan who gives no thought to DEFENSE.

Kwame is an absolutely superb man defender, night in and night out. He may suck offensively, but we all know what wins championships. Otherwise, Mo Taylor for the Knicks would be better regarded. However, since he can't defend anyone, all he gets is criticized.

Look, I LOVE Bynum as much as the next guy, but he's not ready yet. He can contribute here and there in the right situations, but we need Kwame's defense out there.

Do you ever watch the Worthy Spin? Well all of you Brown nosers should once in a while watch and learn some basketball. Basically Kwame does one thing and that is put a body on someone as far as moving his feet and being in position to rebound he's absolutely horrible as Worthy mentions. He makes no attempt to go back to he boards, and leaves his man open, makes a half harted effort on pick n rolls. He is always late on weak side rotations and misses his assignments over and over again. Just a horrible player in every way and I'm not even talking about offense. That guy is lucky God gave him the physique he has otherwise he'd be flipping burgers at McDonalds. What did Jordan see in this guy beats me. That's why drafting based on size only is the worst mistake GM's make.
The Lakers should send Kwame packing the minute they get a chance I mean he's a waste of money.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:

^
You make a point on why Kwame should be a bench player. He is best suited for that role.

As a starter, I think the Lakers need more rebounding and shotblocking at 4. And NO I'm not talking about Brian Cook. He is even worse in that regard than Kwame.

But you look at the options.

Kwame > Cook defensively.
Odom starts at 3
Mihm starts at 5
Bynum is a project that's not going to start until atleast another season of experience.

If they don't play Kwame - Who the hell do they play at 4?

Hopefully we get something out of Turuiaf, but I don't think he'll get more than 8 mpg.
KobeLakers4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
You make a point on why Kwame should be a bench player. He is best suited for that role.

As a starter, I think the Lakers need more rebounding and shotblocking at 4. And NO I'm not talking about Brian Cook. He is even worse in that regard than Kwame.

But you look at the options.

Kwame > Cook defensively.
Odom starts at 3
Mihm starts at 5
Bynum is a project that's not going to start until atleast another season of experience.

If they don't play Kwame - Who the hell do they play at 4?

Hopefully we get something out of Turuiaf, but I don't think he'll get more than 8 mpg.

Well I don't know about Turiaf, I hope he pans out to be a nice player. What I saw in the SPL was a hard working guy, with some inside game and decent defense. More like a Malik Rose type energy guy to come off the bench, but imho not a starter in this league. He looked like he may get in foul troubles quite a bit in the NBA, so he's got to learn. What people forget is that Turiaf is just a rookie, and we cannot expect him to be a saviour at this moment. He's not in college and will be banging against very big experienced people so to put that kind of pressure on him is crazy.
Lakers had their opportunities to get a decent bigman in the summer, good example was Maggliore. They took their chances on Kwame knowing this guy had be coached by some pretty good people, and they had failed. This was a cheap way out and now we see the problem.
Lakers can only blame themselves for their situation. If they don't make the playoffs the brass will definitely have to look at themselves in the mirror and or Dr. Buss will need to step in and make some changes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: