We have to cut four players by the end of training camp (Lakers waive Upshaw, Frazier, Holmes and Brown, p60)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
crackadon wrote:
ok, i have my four players at this point: Holmes, Frazier, J. Brown and Sacre

i would be really disappointed if Huertas, Upshaw and even Metta got cut tbh

I agree: Holmes, Frazier, J. Brown and Sacre

Me too, although I would not be disappointed if they cut Metta for Holmes.
I would be extremely disappointed if they cut Upshaw over Sacre though. The only thing Sacre has over Upshaw at this point is a guaranteed salary.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Cuts should be

R.Sacre (Possibility he gets claimed by team in need of vet big)
Holmes (DLeague)
J.Brown (DLegue, could probably get good overseas offers)
Frazier(DLeague)
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

When do they usually cut players? I kinda remember they start cutting by the middle of the preseason.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
When do they usually cut players? I kinda remember they start cutting by the middle of the preseason.

Rosters need to be set by Oct. 26, the day before the season set.

Teams usually waive a few guys about a week before then, and a couple right before the deadline.

So the Lakers will probably start thinning guys out in a week.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

As of right now, I cut:

Sacre
Holmes
J. Brown

and sadly Metta. Give him a position within the team as a special position coach. He could still workout to some degree, and be within a few minutes of signing a contract if it is decided he needs to hold a roster spot.

Everyone wants to cut Frazier, but I think he has a chance to be a "shut down" shooting guard (as much as anyone can be shut down in the current NBA). He has all the tools to be a nasty defensive guard off the bench, or a 3rd guard on the court when playing small ball in a year. One day soon, we will find ourselves in a playoff series that requires a mid series adjustment to slow a hot hand, and he could be that type of player. Send him and Upshaw to D-League to develop their defensive game for most of this season.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Frazier i havent seen him do (bleep). metta's presence alone can build defensive guys

U seen randle play defense lately? Ya thats thanks to metta
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

So it looks like some cuts are coming after tonight's game...
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

This year, with core pieces already in place, should be focusing on developing our young trio and build up the team with newly acquired players and try to build up winning mentality.

No doubt our core players are:

Hibbert, Black
Randle, Bass, Kelly
Kobe, Young, MWP
Clarkson, Williams
Russell, Huertas

There are 10 men rotation with Kelly as stretch 4 and MWP to defend strong 3.

First rounder Nance, second rounder ABrown and updraft rookie Upshaw as project. Sacre would be cut while Homles, Friazer would be sent to D-league and JBrown may play overseas.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
32 wrote:
It's too bad we haven't seen Huertas play in pre season games. He is likely out tomorrow again with the hamstring. I guess him missing most of the pre season games probably won't effect him from making the roster.

Nope, he's not really on the bubble much at all considering he's under contract and is really the only veteran on this roster who can be considered a "true" PG so to speak.

His contract is non-guaranteed.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
LaxT wrote:
s_habe wrote:
LaxT wrote:

Before the preseason began, I assumed the following four to be cut: Upshaw, J. Brown, Holmes, Frazier.

Has anyone shown enough for a 2nd thought? Holmes and Frazier surely does not. Jabari is caught in a number's game and he is not going to beat JC, Kobe, Lou or Swaggy.

Now, how about Upshaw over one of MWP, Black or Sacre? Unknown over known. That is the roster question.

A look of the depth, in no particular order.

1. Russell, Huertas, Lou, JC
2. JC, Kobe, Lou
3. Kobe, A. Brown, Young, MWP
4. Randle, Bass, Nance, Kelly, Black
5. Hibbert, Black, Sacre

I actually like the balance (young and veteran, small and big, speed and half court) of this team. If healthy, they can surprise a lot of people.

Cause the coaches plan the D scheme with an intimidating big in the middle, I would like to see what Upshaw can do. Sorry Black.

Thes few games into the season I think J. Brown, Frazier and MWP have made the strongest run to be cut. J. Brown has a tunnel vision. Frazier should be sent to D-League and kept an eye on. Maybe he'll develop.
MWP is too slow to play in the NBA. He was slow when he was amnestyed. And he shoots as bad as then. He might be worth to keep as a coach, but as a player he is done.

The fight for a final place to be cut continues among Sacre, Upshaw, Holmes. Runners up are Black and A.Brown.

I think the team wants to keep MWP. If he would accept a development coach job for far less money, Upshaw could stay.

Cut MWP, Holmes, Frazier, Jabari.

Upshaw has not shown much, but having an elite rim protector for 48 minutes (Hibbert+ Upshaw) is too tempting to not give it a try.
I get the feeling if they cut Upshaw someone will definitely pick him up. He has potential, not sure where he was rated in college but he had what 4 blocks in college game? That's a lot to average.

Maybe, but no one was willing to use a 2nd round pick on him or sign him as a FA when he went undrafted with the exception of the Lakers. So maybe, maybe not.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

Funkbot prediction:

4 cuts:

1) Sacre played his way off the team
2) Fraizer, has not played much at all and will be cut
3) Holmes same as Fraizer
4) J Brown played his way off the team
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Okay... so many are predicting the main 4 cuts. (I think there may be 5)

But who gets cut after tonight's game?

I'm wondering if Byron cuts Sacre to shake things up and shock the other players trying for a spot. Make it real that there are no guaranteed spots, even if you have a guaranteed contract.

I think J. Brown may also get cut, and Frazier may get some more minutes to try to prove himself.
Jenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

Just to be clear: We can cut a player like Sacre with a contract, but if no one picks him up, we pay his salary, which is his case, is one year. True?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
Just to be clear: We can cut a player like Sacre with a contract, but if no one picks him up, we pay his salary, which is his case, is one year. True?

I think he will be picked up. A good dude and professional.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:

This is the last year of Sacre's deal.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:

True.

We can only hope management is willing to risk burning that money in exchange for giving a prospect with more potential a chance. We can only hope they won't be short-sighted or cheap about it. I don't remember the last time they cut a guaranteed player though.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

This is all opinions so here goes;

1- I think Frazier & J Brown are two easy cuts to make. There's little need for the behind Dlo, JC, Lou, Kobe, Nick and maybe even A Brown who can D-up Sg's

2- Holmes has not played but he probably has some up side compared to MWP on the court. However, I'll agree that MWP could help in the locker room, so, bye bye Holmes

3- Huertas has not played but the FO has brought him along as insurance IMO; I think DLO is talented enough but JC & Lou are not natural PG's... maybe Huertas gets the insurance nod in

4- Goofball Kelly was on my sht list but has played ok, injury is what stands out for me, he's to tender...he'll probably get the nod in

5- Upshaw can block a shot but he's not shown much. Sacre has a big body which does little but he'd be the back up to Black. I think at this stage, Sacre gets the nod but that could change in the next couple of games to favor Upshaw.

Definitely; J. Brown & Frazier get sent to the D-league IMO
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Jenn wrote:

True.

We can only hope management is willing to risk burning that money in exchange for giving a prospect with more potential a chance. We can only hope they won't be short-sighted or cheap about it. I don't remember the last time they cut a guaranteed player though.

Well, we amnestied MWP.

And now he's auditioning for the team again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Lakers have also fired coaches with years left on their contracts (Brown, MDA).

So to cut someone making a little over $1m, it won't be a big deal, particularly b/c Sacre would be picked up by someone IMO.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Coaches often give players a chance to showcase themselves to the NBA right before they will be cut. Especially if they are largely unknown.

Let's see which ones of the guys on the cusp gets significant minutes tonight. It might mean that they're gone.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers have also fired coaches with years left on their contracts (Brown, MDA).

So to cut someone making a little over $1m, it won't be a big deal, particularly b/c Sacre would be picked up by someone IMO.

And were not in the luxury tax, plus Mitch already indicated that the team would cut a player with a guaranteed contract...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

Predictions for this evening's cuts:

Down goes Frazier
JBrown goes down too

Sacre - at this stage I'd say he's on the list for next week

Holmes - not enough playing time so I think he goes before the deadline

MWP - if we keep 15 on the roster then he stays.

ABrown - about the same ball park as MWP

Kelly - he's played his way back on to this team.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Predictions for this evening's cuts:

Down goes Frazier
JBrown goes down too

Sacre - at this stage I'd say he's on the list for next week

Holmes - not enough playing time so I think he goes before the deadline

MWP - if we keep 15 on the roster then he stays.

ABrown - about the same ball park as MWP

Kelly - he's played his way back on to this team.

Brown ain't going anywhere.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
As of right now, I cut:

Sacre
Holmes
J. Brown

and sadly Metta. Give him a position within the team as a special position coach. He could still workout to some degree, and be within a few minutes of signing a contract if it is decided he needs to hold a roster spot.

Everyone wants to cut Frazier, but I think he has a chance to be a "shut down" shooting guard (as much as anyone can be shut down in the current NBA). He has all the tools to be a nasty defensive guard off the bench, or a 3rd guard on the court when playing small ball in a year. One day soon, we will find ourselves in a playoff series that requires a mid series adjustment to slow a hot hand, and he could be that type of player. Send him and Upshaw to D-League to develop their defensive game for most of this season.

I agree, I like Meta but it make more sense to go with Frazier in consideration of the future.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
32 wrote:
It's too bad we haven't seen Huertas play in pre season games. He is likely out tomorrow again with the hamstring. I guess him missing most of the pre season games probably won't effect him from making the roster.

Nope, he's not really on the bubble much at all considering he's under contract and is really the only veteran on this roster who can be considered a "true" PG so to speak.

His contract is non-guaranteed.

OK, I didn't realize that. I had assumed that Huertas would not have left his situation without some kind of assurances, but of course you're absolutely correct that this is what has been reported which does change things a tad. Still however, the experience he brings at the PG position favors his making the cut. If on the other hand in the event he never gets an opportunity to play at all prior to the regular season could be a factor as well presumably as to what the Lakers FO will eventually decide.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 20 of 64
Jump to: