Phil Jackson believes Kobe will play beyond his contract, but not with the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have the unilateral ability to retain Clarkson for the next three seasons (including 15-16). Come July he's RFA under Arenas clause. If he takes a one year deal, he then becomes a RFA. If he takes a one year deal he becomes an unrestricted free agent.....in 2018-19.

Given that would likely require playing the next three seasons at about the minimum, it's unlikely to go down that way. Anything multi-year and the Lakers still have first choice.

If Clarkson proves to be a valuable part of the core, he stays in LA, likely on a favorable contract (unless that value is parlayed into a star player in trade).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
I don't mind. go get #6-10.

I don't think that Kobe is the "coattail riding" type
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Kobe won't ring chase. It would hurt his legacy more than help it if he got his 6th ring on another team especially if he isn't a top 2 player on that team. If he wants to play another season after this one the Lakers will give him a reasonable offer to bring him back. I see the more likely scenario being Kobe signs for 1 more yr with Lakers or he goes to Italy/Europe to play for a year, definitely no ring chasing.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah I've been saying clarkson will either be traded or extended last after we see how we do in free agency.
is there even any other possibility?

Yes. The lakers could make him a priority (unlikely) or a team makes a tender offer to swipe away some of our cap space.

So he goes from a like $2M cap hold to a $6M (MLE level) one in a worst case scenario? Really that would be a best case for us haha. It's not a big deal at all

Not advocating a position. Just saying the options. The original post was about how much Kobe makes. With 40m to hibbert/other impact free agent then 20m left to divvy between Kobe, clarkson, other free agents (and if bass opts in even less). That's all.

I know. You just bring it up often. To me it's not much of a consideration
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah I've been saying clarkson will either be traded or extended last after we see how we do in free agency.
is there even any other possibility?

Yes. The lakers could make him a priority (unlikely) or a team makes a tender offer to swipe away some of our cap space.

So he goes from a like $2M cap hold to a $6M (MLE level) one in a worst case scenario? Really that would be a best case for us haha. It's not a big deal at all

Not advocating a position. Just saying the options. The original post was about how much Kobe makes. With 40m to hibbert/other impact free agent then 20m left to divvy between Kobe, clarkson, other free agents (and if bass opts in even less). That's all.

I know. You just bring it up often. To me it's not much of a consideration

Bring what up? We constantly have folks asking if we could game the cap with Clarkson and sign him to a big deal after cap is used.

Get off my back 22.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I can't see him ring chasing...or I hope he doesn't.

If Kobe shows by his play this season he has something left, there is no way he turns down, ie, a two year deal worth 28 mil. Kobe would increase revenue for a team like the Knicks. The city of NY would go crazy.

Kobe has Star power.

Kobe would be going to Melo's team and an organization that is much crappier than the one he would be leaving. Doesn't pass the logic test.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

[quote="yinoma2001"]
22 wrote:

Bring what up? We constantly have folks asking if we could game the cap with Clarkson and sign him to a big deal after cap is used.

Get off my back 22.

Bringing up paying Clarkson as if it's an issue. I'm not gonna go dig up all your posts like that one guy did me but yeah you bring it up a lot on your own volition
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

[quote="22"]
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:

Get off my back 22.

Bringing up paying Clarkson as if it's an issue. I'm not gonna go dig up all your posts like that one guy did me but yeah you bring it up a lot on your own volition

Oh I've come to the conclusions that 24 has: if tender offer low MLE for 2 years or we do QO and punt it forward to 2017. I'm aware of the optimal stuff.

This was specifically in response to how much Kobe would be paid hypothetically.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If Kobe shows by his play this season he has something left, there is no way he turns down, ie, a two year deal worth 28 mil. Kobe would increase revenue for a team like the Knicks. The city of NY would go crazy.

Kobe has Star power.

Kobe would be going to Melo's team and an organization that is much crappier than the one he would be leaving. Doesn't pass the logic test.

Kobe going to the Knicks isn't the crazy part of that post.

The crazy part was the $14M/year and fans going crazy in a positive way.

I know time flies, but I think a lot of people think it is still 2012.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
24 wrote:
Voices wrote:
24 wrote:
Voices wrote:
If Kobe plays beyond this year it will be Hello NY. PJ I believe is spot on.

Buss says Kobe Bryant has to know his role with Lakers beyond this season
By Matt Moore | NBA writer

Buss should keep his mouth shut, making statements like above shows his ignorance.

Just keep banging away on that pot.

Don't touch the stuff, unfortunately circumstances that may help others does not work for me.
Owners that address some issues publicly are irresponsible. In this case it makes no sense. It would behoove Jim to stay away from making comments that will give a player reason to leave. No superstar is going to be disrespected by management that has not paid their dues. What Jim said publicly or otherwise totally disrespected Kobe.

It was actually a measured, appropriate response. "We will not force Kobe to retire, but we do reserve the right to establish his minutes and role."

Exactly. Have to balance the interests of Bryant, future fee agents, and even current players on MY deals. Not only was the message strategic, so was the timing. The closer we get to Kobe's potential retirement and the Cap explosion, the more heat this topic will generate. Mitch and Buss have gone on record early so as to avoid the need to give a fresh quote when reporters are looking for something so sensationalize. Jim probably learned this from his Dad who also did his media interaction in the summer after his vacation.

The whole tone of the Lakers is: "this is the transition to the new era." I get the impression they would love nothing more than for him to announce this is his last season, so they can start with a fresh palate and without the PR angst of him finishing his career on another team. That might change if this year goes smoothly with the young guys developing while Kobe throttles back, but I don't see that happening.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I know it'll be a reunion with Phil, Fish and the Triangle. Kobe loves NY and he'll be close to home in Philly and he would be back in the East Coast. But no. Sorry, Phil. If Kobe can still go, he won't sign with the Knicks. He'll stay with the Lakers for another 3 years. He'll sign 1 year deals each year and retire a Laker.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Phil also believed that Jason Kidd and Shawn Merion was a good return for a young 20's Kobe.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
I know it'll be a reunion with Phil, Fish and the Triangle. Kobe loves NY and he'll be close to home in Philly and he would be back in the East Coast. But no. Sorry, Phil. If Kobe can still go, he won't sign with the Knicks. He'll stay with the Lakers for another 3 years. He'll sign 1 year deals each year and retire a Laker.

Philly hasn't been home for Kobe for quite some time.
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Kobe won't ring chase. It would hurt his legacy more than help it if he got his 6th ring on another team especially if he isn't a top 2 player on that team. If he wants to play another season after this one the Lakers will give him a reasonable offer to bring him back. I see the more likely scenario being Kobe signs for 1 more yr with Lakers or he goes to Italy/Europe to play for a year, definitely no ring chasing.

Kobe's legs only going to last so long. If ring chasing, he may be the second player to win a ring out of a wheelchair... 1st being Paul Pierce.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Kobe has Star power.

Are you implying that the Lakers are crappy?

Kobe would be treated like a king in NY. Ownership in NY would make a fortune on Kobe even if it just for 1 year.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Kobe's legs only going to last so long. If ring chasing, he may be the second player to win a ring out of a wheelchair... 1st being Paul Pierce.

Robert Parish on the Bulls.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
The Kobe Bean I know has too much pride to ring chase with someone else. It took him a long time, but he finally came to terms that he would live and die with the P&G. And I believe him.

It's all about "show me the money" There is no way Kobe turns down millions.
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
44-25 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Willis Reed?
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

That is actually pretty funny
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

44-25 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
44-25 wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Willis Reed?

He actually played a minute.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I want Kobe to win another ring.
Tired of people implying Duncan's career is equal or greater than Kobe's.
Another chip should put alot of that to rest.

Not if he went to a superteam to try to chase it.

That's as "Anti-Kobe" as his mindset would ever be.

I'm pretty sure when Kobe said "It either happens here or it doesn't happen." he means it.

Phil just stirring things up within the media as per usual.

And going to the Knicks would be a WORSE situation anyway.

no clue why people even hype that as a possibility other than the fact Phil is there. But as last year will show you, if Phil isn't coaching, it means diddily squat where he is.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
60m in cap space. How much would Kobe want to re-sign? This could get interesting.

It could be a good way to preserve cap-space, or even punt(if we miss out on absolutely everyone).

Spit-balling here, but we could re-sign Hibbert for 20 million per, Batum, Derozan, or whoever 20 million per, and give the leftover amount to Kobe on a one year deal, which would allow us to go into the summer of 2017 with around 40 million in cap-space(I read somewhere that the cap is going to be 108 million).

Why would we re-sign him at THAT price?
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Phil is just doing what he does: causing trouble.

I could see Kobe situation playing out any which way. Most likely scenario is him retiring. If he stays relatively healthy and plays well, I could even see the Lakers resigning him, though I'm sure they'd have mixed feelings about that.

Could be go elsewhere? Why not -- if Hakeem could leave Houston and Ewing could leave NY, any player could leave any team.

Unless Kobe ends the season hobbled and has to hang it up, we could easily be in for some drama on this.

If Kobe has a great year why in the world would the Lakers have mixed feelings about that?
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Phil trying to stir the pot again. the signs are clear from Laker front office up to this point, this WILL be Kobe's last season as a Laker, whether he wants to play beyond this year, Lakers don't care, just won't be for them. Phil now trying to stir something up in order to throw wrench to this unified decision, maybe someone in Laker organization just don't want to let go the past, Jeanie Buss anyone?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

phil still talking?

this guy
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: