Phil Jackson believes Kobe will play beyond his contract, but not with the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
At this point, the idea of stretching Kobe's future as a Laker basketball player beyond the 2015-16 season interests me very little. If he still wishes to play full-time beyond this year by the time July 2016 rolls around, I'd be inclined to sign him for loose change or to let him walk.

I own several vintage cars which are incredible vehicles, and I love them each dearly. But they don't pressure me to take them across country on long, testy journeys.

They are not something I'm wanting to see taken on a long journey. They're fussy, they break down far more than new vehicles and they're extremely expensive to repair (especially if caught out on the highway.) Kobe is an old car in every sense to me, except that he has desires of his own. I'd let him chase those dreams somewhere else if he wants more than the vet min. He's gonna continue to break down under load.

How does Tim Duncan and Paul Pierce fit into your metaphor?
Are they old cars that don't break down?
If so, I hope Kobe can be an automobile similar to that.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

when the MDA hiring happened, I was one of those "what the bleep" people who was besides me myself about passing up on Phil. Somewhere between the non stop Jeanie Buss shenanigans and Phil's NY time, I've grown tired of Jackson.

Im tired of the arrogance. Im not sure if Jeanie influenced Phil or the other way around, but they both need to just learn to be quiet
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

We know Phil likes to lie. Jeannie thinks he wants to marry her.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Go fly a kite, Phil!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
when the MDA hiring happened, I was one of those "what the bleep" people who was besides me myself about passing up on Phil. Somewhere between the non stop Jeanie Buss shenanigans and Phil's NY time, I've grown tired of Jackson.

Im tired of the arrogance. Im not sure if Jeanie influenced Phil or the other way around, but they both need to just learn to be quiet

Precisely why I've never bought the idea that Phil had any true desire to coach that 2013 team. He had publicly doubted that roster before they ever played a game and he had already retired because of his health, fatigue, and inability to see any more championships being squeezed out of the core that he departed.

The way it played out, Jeanie was happy and excited he "agreed" or coach, even though he never really did, and yet another wedge was driven in between Jim and Jeanie as well as Jim and the fanbase. Plus, Phil never had to bust his butt trying to make something out of a flawed injured roster that really had no chance of contending. Is it just coincidence that things turned out so nicely for a guy who is known for his ability to manipulate? I will never think so.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
At this point, the idea of stretching Kobe's future as a Laker basketball player beyond the 2015-16 season interests me very little. If he still wishes to play full-time beyond this year by the time July 2016 rolls around, I'd be inclined to sign him for loose change or to let him walk.

I own several vintage cars which are incredible vehicles, and I love them each dearly. But they don't pressure me to take them across country on long, testy journeys.

They are not something I'm wanting to see taken on a long journey. They're fussy, they break down far more than new vehicles and they're extremely expensive to repair (especially if caught out on the highway.) Kobe is an old car in every sense to me, except that he has desires of his own. I'd let him chase those dreams somewhere else if he wants more than the vet min. He's gonna continue to break down under load.

Duncan is lasting better IMO. Pierce is slowing more but avoiding Kobe-like major breakdown.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Duncan and Pierce are classic cars that are treated like classic cars. They are well taken care of, exhibited at shows, and every once in a while they are tested a little to show that they are still very good vehicles. Kobe, on the other hand, is a classic car that that needs a lot of parts replaced but is still being used for drag races against much younger and well equipped vehicles.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Duncan and Pierce are classic cars that are treated like classic cars. They are well taken care of, exhibited at shows, and every once in a while they are tested a little to show that they are still very good vehicles. Kobe, on the other hand, is a classic car that that needs a lot of parts replaced but is still being used for drag races against much younger and well equipped vehicles.

Nicely done.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I want Kobe to win another ring.
Tired of people implying Duncan's career is equal or greater than Kobe's.
Another chip should put alot of that to rest.

Not if he went to a superteam to try to chase it.

That's as "Anti-Kobe" as his mindset would ever be.

I'm pretty sure when Kobe said "It either happens here or it doesn't happen." he means it.

Phil just stirring things up within the media as per usual.

And going to the Knicks would be a WORSE situation anyway.

no clue why people even hype that as a possibility other than the fact Phil is there. But as last year will show you, if Phil isn't coaching, it means diddily squat where he is.

The minute "somebody" in this organization hired MDA instead of Phil, Kobe's chance at 6 rings went out the window. I really think Kobe has accepted that fact. I think this is Phil trying to say "Hey, I might come back and coach if you sign". I don't think Kobe would do it, but it can't hurt Phil by trying.

Really? Can't blame Phil? If signing an over the hill Kobe is his idea of building a future for the Knicks then he truly is horrible in the front office.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I will never understand the mocking of Phil from the Laker fan base. Not saying it is everyone, but why the hate for Phil? From what I understand he wanted to be in L.A., he wanted to help the Lakers organization. Phil was ran out of town by Jim Buss.

Not saying I hate Jim for that either, but hasn't Phil done more for L.A. then Jimmy has at this point?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I will never understand the mocking of Phil from the Laker fan base.

Ah' cmon. Phil says a lot of stupid stuff and constantly causes trouble. He deserves to me mocked.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

I sort of agree with Phil. I believe
1. Kobe will play beyond this season
2. With whom? Thats the unknown. But I believe he will finish the extended year(s) with Lakers or otherwise NYKnicks, another fav place for kobe. Pj n fisher over there n the knicks crowd that always appreciates him will be an easy choice.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
I can definitely see Kobe doing a "retirement tour" in Europe. Italy or Spain probably. I bet he'd love to play for Barcelona.

And play there with Pau.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
I can definitely see Kobe doing a "retirement tour" in Europe. Italy or Spain probably. I bet he'd love to play for Barcelona.

And play there with Pau.

The iron is still hot in china. If he plays abroad, he will strike the iron there while still hot.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I will never understand the mocking of Phil from the Laker fan base. Not saying it is everyone, but why the hate for Phil? From what I understand he wanted to be in L.A., he wanted to help the Lakers organization. Phil was ran out of town by Jim Buss.

Not saying I hate Jim for that either, but hasn't Phil done more for L.A. then Jimmy has at this point?

Agree 100%
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Its only here that Phil is criticized to this extent. If you just read some of the posts here you would think any coach could lead Jordan/Pippen or Kobe/Shaq to multiple championships.

In the outside world his rep during his time with the Lakers is sky high and intact,
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Agree 100%

Seriously. Our franchise went into a downward spiral when we chose
MDA over Phil, people here just don't like to admit that.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

I'm sure if he goes to another team Kobe's legs and hands will suddenly revert to 2008 Kobe, he'll have lift on his jumpers, he'll have a first step again, he'll be able to play defense, he'll play off-ball if the coach wants him to, he'll hit 3's consistently, drive to the basket relentlessly, kill other teams with efficient shooting and every coach in the league will double and in some cases triple team Kobe, so whatever team he goes to will get anywhere from 3 to 5 rings from an underpaid Kobe as he enters his second prime.

I'm sure PJ would have elaborated all of this if the reporter had just asked the right questions. PJ is always so careful about what he says and he's always right. And of course we don't pay enough attention to PJ. Dang that Jim Buss anyhow.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
We know Phil likes to lie. Jeannie thinks he wants to marry her.

What's up with that attraction anyway? Is Jeannie wearing beer goggles 24/7?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe won't play anywhere else.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Phil isn't a Laker. I never got the impression that he cared how the Lakers, Bulls, Or Knicks were doing except when he was in the coaching chair. For the benefit of his own ego, I don't think he wanted to see the Lakers go right back into winning titles after his retirement.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Phil Jackson media whore
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Not a huge fan of PJ the everyday person, however PJ earned everything he got. PJ did not start out coaching in the NBA, he paid his dues. I have the up most respect for PJ the coach and player. Now former players want the head coaching job without paying their dues. Shame on those that knock PJ the coach, he earned everything he got.

Coaching career[edit]

In the following years, he mainly coached in lower-level professional leagues, notably the Continental Basketball Association and Puerto Rico's National Superior Basketball (BSN). While in the CBA, he won his first coaching championship, leading the Albany Patroons to their first CBA title in 1984. In Puerto Rico, he coached the Piratas de Quebradillas (1984 and 1987) and the Gallitos de Isabela (1984–1986), both teams with great tradition in the league. He regularly sought an NBA job, but was invariably turned down. He had acquired a reputation for being sympathetic to the counterculture during his playing years, which may have scared off potential NBA employers.[13]

Chicago Bulls[edit]

Jackson was hired as assistant coach, under Doug Collins, for the Bulls in 1987, and was promoted to head coach in 1989. It was around this time that he met Tex Winter and became a devotee of Winter's triangle offense.[18][19] Over nine seasons, Jackson coached the Bulls to six championships, winning three straight championships over separate three-year periods. The "three-peat" was the first since the Boston Celtics won eight titles in a row from 1959 through 1966.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:

Phil was offered a consulting job, he turned it down. He wanted to be in charge, and that position was filled, so he did the next best thing and went somewhere where they would want him to be in charge.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Its only here that Phil is criticized to this extent. If you just read some of the posts here you would think any coach could lead Jordan/Pippen or Kobe/Shaq to multiple championships.

In the outside world his rep during his time with the Lakers is sky high and intact,

Not in Chicago. So wherever he has coached, he isn't loved. Coincidence or not?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: