Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuDdHaLlAh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time

Quote:
Is there a more indelible image than Pau's teammates rallying behind their fearless leader who selflessly competed once again in international competition despite another punishing NBA season? I certainly couldn't forget it.

Because I didn't watch one minute of this tournament. Not one. But none of that changes the wellspring of emotion it's made me feel for one of the greatest Lakers of all time.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/25/9396581/appreciating-pau-one-year-later
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Eh.
nateball
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Pre CP3 trade? He was well on his way.

Post trade? The lasting image I will always have is Phil pounding Pau in the chest on the sidelines as they were about to be swept by the Mavs
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Watching him now just shows how much he was mailing it in at the end. He moved on. So have I. Thanks for the memories.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject:

We got about 3 top notch years out of him, which on a franchise with a history like the Laker's doesn't register near the top.
LaZonaImagery
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Never liked that [deleted] after he insulted asians world-wide.

Last edited by LaZonaImagery on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

nateball wrote:

Post trade? The lasting image I will always have is Phil pounding Pau in the chest on the sidelines as they were about to be swept by the Mavs

That is my lasting impression of Pau.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

will his jersey get put on the lakers wall?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
will his jersey get put on the lakers wall?

Is there any doubt about that? Sure HOF
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

pau and Dirac were the best foreign players the lakers ever had
Black Sheep
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
nateball wrote:

Pre cp3 trade Phil was pounding on Pau's chest which led to the cp3 trade. Pau was not himself that post season, I think the rumors of a teammate screwing his girl messed with his head.
Then the Lakers traded him and it back fired and he felt like he couldn't trust the organization, and was betrayed, and didn't play 100%. Plus add the fact Mike Brown and Mike Dantoni completely underutilized his game. I actually felt bad for him.
But he has shown he can still be great and he is a Laker legend whether anyone here wants to admit it on not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time

BuDdHaLlAh wrote:
Quote:
Is there a more indelible image than Pau's teammates rallying behind their fearless leader who selflessly competed once again in international competition despite another punishing NBA season? I certainly couldn't forget it.

Because I didn't watch one minute of this tournament. Not one. But none of that changes the wellspring of emotion it's made me feel for one of the greatest Lakers of all time.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/9/25/9396581/appreciating-pau-one-year-later

He's in the second tier of our great players, along the lines of Jamaal Wilkes and Gail Goodrich
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time

activeverb wrote:
BuDdHaLlAh wrote:
Quote:

He's in the second tier of our great players, along the lines of Jamaal Wilkes and Gail Goodrich

I sort of agree with the 2nd tier bit, but not those comparisons. I think he's just a tad below the level of duncan and garnett but far better than wilkes or goodrich. i think odom is on the level of goodrich and wilkes.

Pau (again) gets continually underrated in our conversations. he's really really good. the soft stuff is unfair because the refs allow all sorts of abuse to him while he was a laker. and the dallas series was bs. but you know me...

i mean, here's just one weird example. he gets criticized for defense constantly. yet, he shut down dwight. and he has more game saving blocks than anybody i can remember. an unusual amount, actually.

that SF eurobasket game, you guys have to see it. He dunks and dunks and dunks in the clutch. it's wild.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Not on the tier/class of Shaq, Kareem etc. obviously. Or if you want to add the guards, Kobe/Magic either.

But definitely the class/tier right below. Definite HOF. Lock in to get his jersey retired. Very few players get their jersey retired as Lakers. Yes, he's been a great Laker. Wasn't long enough to be talked about in the class of Shaq/Kobe/Magic/Kareem, but still his impact from 2008-2010 was up there with any player that ever put on that jersey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Not on the tier/class of Shaq, Kareem etc. obviously. Or if you want to add the guards, Kobe/Magic either.

But definitely the class/tier right below. Definite HOF. Lock in to get his jersey retired. Very few players get their jersey retired as Lakers. Yes, he's been a great Laker. Wasn't long enough to be talked about in the class of Shaq/Kobe/Magic/Kareem, but still his impact from 2008-2010 was up there with any player that ever put on that jersey.

100% agree.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pau Gasol one of the greatest Lakers of all time

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BuDdHaLlAh wrote:
Quote:

I sort of agree with the 2nd tier bit, but not those comparisons. I think he's just a tad below the level of duncan and garnett but far better than wilkes or goodrich. i think odom is on the level of goodrich and wilkes.

Pau (again) gets continually underrated in our conversations.

I can buy someone thinking Pau is better than Wilkes and Goodrich, but I think they're all in the same general tier.

Pau isn't close to our first tier of greats -- Magic, Kobe, West, Shaq, Baylor.

Garnett and Duncan are first-tier all-time greats, so I don't think Pau is close to either if them.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Black Sheep wrote:
Voices wrote:
nateball wrote:

Pre cp3 trade Phil was pounding on Pau's chest which led to the cp3 trade. Pau was not himself that post season, I think the rumors of a teammate screwing his girl messed with his head.
Then the Lakers traded him and it back fired and he felt like he couldn't trust the organization, and was betrayed, and didn't play 100%. Plus add the fact Mike Brown and Mike Dantoni completely underutilized his game. I actually felt bad for him.
But he has shown he can still be great and he is a Laker legend whether anyone here wants to admit it on not.

I was a big Gasol fan, then the PJ incident. If he could bust his arse for Spain for the world championship he could bust his arse for the Lakers for the NBA championship. PJ was furious with Gasol for not playing his arse off, never seen PJ that angry with a player. I will never respect Gasol for not playing his arse off for us Lakers fans who were paying his salary. His first obligation was to us Lakers fans not Spain.

Lets leave it at that if you will....
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

100% agree.

kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say one of the greatest becuase he's got some stiff competition there, but he was definitely one of my favorites. Great player with a great personality and a good heart.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Black Sheep wrote:
Voices wrote:
nateball wrote:

I was a big Gasol fan, then the PJ incident. If he could bust his arse for Spain for the world championship he could bust his arse for the Lakers for the NBA championship. PJ was furious with Gasol for not playing his arse off, never seen PJ that angry with a player. I will never respect Gasol for not playing his arse off for us Lakers fans who were paying his salary. His first obligation was to us Lakers fans not Spain.

Lets leave it at that if you will....

Exact sentiments. dude quit on us
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Only HOF players get their jerseys retired with the Lakers. So if Pau gets into the HOF, he will get his jersey up there... Otherwise, no. Pretty simple criteria for "all time great" with the Lakers.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Pau may have played badly in the 2011 playoffs, but he was the 2nd best player on a team that went to the championship series 3 yrs in a row and won back-to-back titles. During those years he was called by many the best big man in the game, and he was an early candidate for MVP in 2010-11. The allegations of him being "soft" and mailing it in after the CP3 trade has always been exaggerated.

TBH this is a classic case of some Laker fans expecting and demanding total perfection instead of appreciating the immense beauty that's been in front of our eyes all this time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Pau may have played badly in the 2011 playoffs, but he was the 2nd best player on a team that went to the championship series 3 yrs in a row and won back-to-back titles. During those years he was called by many the best big man in the game, and he was an early candidate for MVP in 2010-11. The allegations of him being "soft" and mailing it in after the CP3 trade has always been exaggerated.

TBH this is a classic case of some Laker fans expecting and demanding total perfection instead of appreciating the immense beauty that's been in front of our eyes all this time.

Don't know what you mean by "early candidate for MVP in 2010-11" -- Pau has never received a single MVP vote in his entire career.

It's also an overstatement to say Pau was ever considered the best big man in any year -- this is a guy who has never made the all-NBA first team in his career.

That said, Pau was a great player during those years for us.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Don't know what you mean by "early candidate for MVP in 2010-11" -- Pau has never received a single MVP vote in his entire career.

It's also an overstatement to say Pau was ever considered the best big man in any year -- this is a guy who has never made the all-NBA first team in his career.

That said, Pau was a great player during those years for us.

Pau was being talked about as an MVP candidate the first several weeks of the 2010-11 season. I thought it was ridiculous because he was simply putting up the same numbers he had been the previous couple of years. When we won the back to back titles I remember national commentators calling him the best all around big man in the game, especially during the playoffs. He was definitely better than Dwight Howard and at least in the conversation as such.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Yes.

I remember those years before Pau, reading thru the threads here about the rosters we hoped to have. So many people were putting together rosters that would be better than the All Star team, and they weren't joking. So getting anything less was disappointing. Then we got a roster with Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Bynum, Ariza/Artest...and STILL criticized about how they wished they could have gotten so and so. I mean...Pau, Lamar, Bynum...that's 3 of the best big men in the entire league on one team. Criticized all three as soon as anything went slightly wrong. my god, people. the only reason we even lost the 2008 finals was due to insane officiating, and 2011 wasn't much better. You can't beat a team like that called fairly.

And how is PJ somehow untouchable? he makes mistakes too. CP3 trade was unprecedented. I don't blame Pau that much, not really his fault. What no one ever talks about is how many times he gets pushed in the back on rebounds for no calls, so many times. this doesn't happen in euro, that's why he's a monster. I don't think any big men right now can handle pau called fairly. even now, in the nba, marc gasol is considered the better player. but in euro, pau is still the goto guy, not his brother. nba is highly variable with the officiating, and that makes all the difference. nba today is unwatchable if you are looking for consistency. on the other hand, euro is more fair, but sometimes it can be a boring free throw fest because of all the calls (but they are correct for the most part). It's a fairness vs. entertainment thing, and the nba leans toward entertainment. a lot of times, athleticism trumps skill. the best balance i ever saw was in the 80s. but as i see more videos of the 60s-70s, i'm starting to think wilt was right in calling those the golden years.

pau/duncan/garnett are all on pretty much the same level. duncan is so overrated because of so many reasons. garnett and pau get shafted, and they are both arguably better than duncan in a few things. i always cringe when we criticize pau, artest, barnes, odom....even kendall marshall?

we are so extreme with our opinions. clarkson is the greatest thing ever. marshall sucked? i never got that. barnes was terrible? odom was inconsistent? it's like we're our own worst enemies.

I also think it's a superficial thing with Pau. He doesn't look badass. they wanna see dwight and his muscles...even though he totally sucks comapred to pau. put dwight on that spanish team and he would not do JACK.

while i'm on this...are there any classic duncan vs. garnett videos out there? i'd like to see some.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: