Lakers & Suns also tried to hire ex-guard Steve Nash...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Voices wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'm glad more LGers are joining the (bleep) Steve Nash movement.
I've been saving seats. There's enough room for everyone.

Whether it was intentional or not, is debatable.
But what isn't debatable, is that Nash hurt our franchise every step of the way while he was here.
I give him minimal credit for Clarkson's development. Especially since Nash didn't bother to travel with our team at all last season.
Credit for Clarkson's development 1st goes to Clarkson himself. And 2nd it goes to the coaches and teammates who were actually there, helping him get better all season long.

To some, the fact that Nash did not travel with the team AT ALL is not a big deal, I disagree. It shows that Nash was only loyal to the money.

What is so frigging disgusting is how could the Lakers not have some information that Nash was damage goods. We ALL knew that Nash was an accident waiting to happen yet some still give Lakers management a pass for their incompetence. Nash should of never been an option to begin with!!

If I am wrong about who should be accountable please show me who should be accountable?

I think our FO gambled on Nash and lost...big time. We didn't come out ahead with Dwight either, but that's besides the point.
I blame our FO more for not putting public pressure on Nash to accept medical retirement. LINK Nash should've never played 10 games 2 seasons ago.
27 mill we payed him over 3 seasons. And Nash played 60 out of a possible 240+ games. Wish he would've just played 50 games, so he could've been off our books sooner.

Yeah, that is a great way to endear yourself to potential FAs, pressure a guy you signed to retire early by publically embarrassing him. What a great public relations success that would be.

Look how things turned out. W didn't pressure him.
He returned the favor by going to GS.
And we still haven't caught a top tier FA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

There was no pressuring Nash, that is something that fans make up. Nash was getting his money no matter what happened, and he would have been off the books this past offseason no matter what had happened. Because the Lakers don't mistreat their players. Nash made every attempt he could to return, but the nerve damage was too severe. The Lakers would never have tried to taken away his chance to actually earn the money they were paying him. I can understand fans being overly emotional on a website, but to criticize the FO for not being is going too far. They live in the real world, we live in the entertainment world. Big, big difference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Okay. Scratch the public pressure idea for Nash.

How about, don't play him! We weren't close to making the playoffs two seasons ago.
Play him 9 games and when he dressed for the 10th.
Sit his ass on the bench.
It's not rocket science. Put the franchise goals ahead of being PC toward a selfish Canadian

If you made Nash sit on the bench the whole season that doesn't mean he would have taken a medical retirement. The fact is, Nash didn't want to retire -- he was working hard to try to come back.

However, if you did sit Nash, you probably would get a protest from the players union and a punishment from the NBA for such shennigans. You're also forgetting the league doesn't have to automatically give a medical retirement -- I suspect if the league got even a whiff that a team was pressuring a player to take a medical retirement they wouldn't award it. So it's doubtful the Lakers would have gotten away with such a public spectacle, had they been foolish enough to try.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

How about, don't play him! We weren't close to making the playoffs two seasons ago.
It's not rocket science. Put the franchise goals ahead of being PC toward a selfish Canadian

If you made Nash sit on the bench the whole season that doesn't mean he would have taken a medical retirement. The fact is, Nash didn't want to retire -- he was working hard to try to come back.

However, if you did sit Nash, you probably would get a protest from the players union and a punishment from the NBA for such shennigans. You're also forgetting the league doesn't have to automatically give a medical retirement -- I suspect if the league got even a whiff that a team was pressuring a player to take a medical retirement they wouldn't award it. So it's doubtful the Lakers would have gotten away with such a public spectacle, had they been foolish enough to try.

1) Nash openly admitted he played those games so he could get paid for the whole contract.
2) Coaches (and indirectly the organization as a whole) can choose to play any player on their roster they want. "Better" players have had to sit so younger, worse players could get experience.

I have to correct myself.
Nash played more than the minimum 10 games his last active season.
He played 15. He started in 10.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Nash was some kamikaze player sent here from Phoenix to destroy the Lakers from within.
But every step of the way the results have been disappointing with him (intentions aside).
We knew he was a bad long term investment when we signed him in his late 30s. But he turned out to be a bad short term investment too (not making it through 1 full season healthy).
And now, 27 million and a retirement later, we weren't able to secure his coaching services in any capacity.

Oh well, Steve Nash is an ugly chapter in Lakers history.
Glad to turn the page.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

1) Nash openly admitted he played those games so he could get paid for the whole contract.
2) Coaches (and indirectly the organization as a whole) can choose to play any player on their roster they want. "Better" players have had to sit so younger, worse players could get experience.

1.Look back a bit in this post, and you'll see I explained what Nash really said. It is more textured than you think. In a nutshell, he said: "Of course, I want the money, but I also love the game, want to play for the love of the game, and want to shut up the people who think I can't anymore." I know that's not as much fun for you, but isn't that exactly what you'd want someone in Nash's position to say? It's funny that people try to use a part of what Nash said in this interview against him, while the whole of what he said actually makes him look really good.

2. Dude, if you think the players union and league would allow a team to sit a player for the obvious purpose of pressuring him to retire, you are deluding yourself.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I just never really liked Steve Nash. I would not want him on my team if I was assembling a team from scratch.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Voices wrote:

How about our v. p. sending a message to Kobe via the press that if he plays longer he will...... How about this great PR move

Lakers owner and team president Jim Buss said as much in an interview with the LA Times this week, saying the extension was based on "what he had done" for the Lakers vs. what he would do in the future. Buss also said that he's open to Bryant playing beyond 2016. However, maybe the most interesting comment was from Buss regarding the conditions under which Bryant would have to return, and that Bryant would have to accept the role that the team would give him.

You know, I haven't see any pushback about it. For the most part, people seem to agree with what Buss said.

Beyond that, I'd say pressuring someone to take a medical retirement is night-and-day different from laying down conditions under which you'll resign someone. So you're bringing up a apples-to-oranges situation which doesn't seem to resonate with anyone, given the lack of response to what you said.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

How about our v. p. sending a message to Kobe via the press that if he plays longer he will...... How about this great PR move

Lakers owner and team president Jim Buss said as much in an interview with the LA Times this week, saying the extension was based on "what he had done" for the Lakers vs. what he would do in the future. Buss also said that he's open to Bryant playing beyond 2016. However, maybe the most interesting comment was from Buss regarding the conditions under which Bryant would have to return, and that Bryant would have to accept the role that the team would give him.

You know, I haven't see any pushback about it. For the most part, people seem to agree with what Buss said.

Beyond that, I'd say pressuring someone to take a medical retirement is night-and-day different from laying down conditions under which you'll resign someone. So you're bringing up a apples-to-oranges situation which doesn't seem to resonate with anyone, given the lack of response to what you said.

FWIW, he very effusive about having Kobe back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

FWIW, he very effusive about having Kobe back.

I've only seen the LA Times interview. Based on that, I wouldn't agree with you. I thought he was being PC about not shutting the door on Kobe, but I saw no indication he was eager to have him back.

Personally, I think the Lakers are eager to start the next chapter and they would like nothing better than to throw Kobe a great big retirement party.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:

1.Look back a bit in this post, and you'll see I explained what Nash really said. It is more textured than you think. In a nutshell, he said: "Of course, I want the money, but I also love the game, want to play for the love of the game, and want to shut up the people who think I can't anymore." I know that's not as much fun for you, but isn't that exactly what you'd want someone in Nash's position to say? It's funny that people try to use a part of what Nash said in this interview against him, while the whole of what he said actually makes him look really good.

2. Dude, if you think the players union and league would allow a team to sit a player for the obvious purpose of pressuring him to retire, you are deluding yourself.

1) We didn't pay Nash to love the game. We payed him to play. And he didn't prove the doubters wrong. He was done.
Loving the game and wanting a cash grab at the end of your career while knowing you're physically done aren't two mutually exclusive ideas.

2) I'm not saying it's easy. But we could've done more to facilitate Nash's retirement. Considering how taxing his nerve issues were for him while he played, I'm sure there are medically sound arguments why he would've been better off playing 6 less games his final season.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

First of all I never advocated a medical retirement, that is someone else.

Second, why the hell is Buss sticking his nose where it does not belong. Jim Buss is one of the least qualified basketball minds in all of the NBA. I am sick and tired of Jim Buss the horse trainer/jockey giving any so called expert opinion about anything. Jim has accomplish nothing related to the Lakers, or anything else in life. He is a disgusting man, he has always tried to mimic his Father. When Dr. Buss sat in the stands in his casual attire he was taking a much deserved rest from his daily duties. When Jim sits in the stands in his casual attire he is taking a break from counting his daddy's money. He try's to play the eccentric owner role, he never conducts himself with dignity nor has he done anything to command respect.

Not one FA that was sought after wanted to be a Jim Buss Laker. The Lakers FA acquisitions were not the blue chip players. Sure we got some decent players, but the Lakers were not at the top of anyone list. That is truly sad. Now the Lakers are run by a spoiled child that shows zero respect for the Lakers.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

Second, why the hell is Buss sticking his nose where it does not belong. Jim Buss is one of the least qualified basketball minds in all of the NBA. I am sick and tired of Jim Buss the horse trainer/jockey giving any so called expert opinion about anything. Jim has accomplish nothing related to the Lakers, or anything else in life. He is a disgusting man, he has always tried to mimic his Father. When Dr. Buss sat in the stands in his casual attire he was taking a much deserved rest from his daily duties. When Jim sits in the stands in his casual attire he is taking a break from counting his daddy's money. He try's to play the eccentric owner role, he never conducts himself with dignity nor has he done anything to command respect.

Not one FA that was sought after wanted to be a Jim Buss Laker. The Lakers FA acquisitions were not the blue chip players. Sure we got some decent players, but the Lakers were not at the top of anyone list. That is truly sad. Now the Lakers are run by a spoiled child that shows zero respect for the Lakers.

Few things in life are more boring than a generic Jim Buss rant.

You might think Jim is a great owner, but the reality is there are no former Lakers greats associated with the Lakers any longer. Maybe you can explain that.

You happen to admire Jim Buss that's fine.
tolivendiewithLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Nash openly admitted (despite not being able to play) that he wouldn't retire before last season because he wanted the money, openly admitted that. Then once the check cleared he shut it down. He barely did anything for the team, or player development. The guy just came here, got his checks and sat on the bench. He gets a free pass because some incorrectly believe he one of the 'good guys' in basketball. We should be happy the Lakers are free of him. And unless he can go back in a time machine and tell Clarkson and Russell to grow up playing soccer at a high level as well as basketball I don't think he'd have an 'overwhelming' influence on their games.

Here's hoping the Warriors got their Title last year and the team never wins again as long as he's affiliated with them. It's plausible to for those who think they'll become a dynasty. As good as they played last season, a lot of things fell perfectly into place for them as well.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject:

Who cares where Nash is? He was never really a Laker. It's good that he's gone, keeping him around would just be a constant reminder of the worst mistake of Mitch Kupchak's career. This is a new time with a new team, let's hope our young guys really do have the upside we all hope for, and kiss the last miserable few years goodbye.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

You might think Jim is a great owner, but the reality is there are no former Lakers greats associated with the Lakers any longer. Maybe you can explain that.

I never said I thought Jim Buss was great owner and I never said I admired him; I said generic Jim Buss rants are boring. If you can' see the difference between those things, might be time to look into a reading comprehension 101 class.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

I never said I thought Jim Buss was great owner and I never said I admired him; I said generic Jim Buss rants are boring. If you can' see the difference between those things, might be time to look into a reading comprehension 101 class.

This is a Lakers site, just what do you want to discuss that has not been discussed over and over again. Jim is a major issue, when he makes public remarks that involve one of the greatest NBA players of all time it is an issue that is not going away anytime soon. We have an owner that has chosen to be part of a general manager even though the Lakers have a qualified GM that I'm sure would like for Jim to go into a back room somewhere and count the money his Dad left for him. Jim acts like he is some b ball expert, just because he inherited a b ball team does not make him a b ball expert, although he has decide to be active in making player decisions. Mitch is the expert and should be making the everyday decisions, until Mitch has autonomy this is Jim's team. IMO Jim is not qualified to make player decisions. If Mitch does not agree with Jim's decisions it makes it almost impossible for Mitch to build a team. Jim has stuck his big ego into the Lakers personal decisions, he should do what his father did stay in the background. We do not need to have Jim making stupid statements.

It beats bashing Byron who ha been bashed on this site relentlessly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Nash openly admitted (despite not being able to play) that he wouldn't retire before last season because he wanted the money, openly admitted that. Then once the check cleared he shut it down. He barely did anything for the team, or player development. The guy just came here, got his checks and sat on the bench. He gets a free pass because some incorrectly believe he one of the 'good guys' in basketball. We should be happy the Lakers are free of him. And unless he can go back in a time machine and tell Clarkson and Russell to grow up playing soccer at a high level as well as basketball I don't think he'd have an 'overwhelming' influence on their games.

Here's hoping the Warriors got their Title last year and the team never wins again as long as he's affiliated with them. It's plausible to for those who think they'll become a dynasty. As good as they played last season, a lot of things fell perfectly into place for them as well.

He gets a free pass because the NBA is a business and he had a binding contract. Jesus Christ, are people really that ignorant that they cannot see that? If you think he should have canceled his contract because he got injured then you have no grasp of reality. To hate Nash because he got hurt just makes one look like an idiot.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

This is a Lakers site, just what do you want to discuss that has not been discussed over and over again. Jim is a major issue, when he makes public remarks that involve one of the greatest NBA players of all time it is an issue that is not going away anytime soon. We have an owner that has chosen to be part of a general manager even though the Lakers have a qualified GM that I'm sure would like for Jim to go into a back room somewhere and count the money his Dad left for him. Jim acts like he is some b ball expert, just because he inherited a b ball team does not make him a b ball expert, although he has decide to be active in making player decisions. Mitch is the expert and should be making the everyday decisions, until Mitch has autonomy this is Jim's team. IMO Jim is not qualified to make player decisions. If Mitch does not agree with Jim's decisions it makes it almost impossible for Mitch to build a team. Jim has stuck his big ego into the Lakers personal decisions, he should do what his father did stay in the background. We do not need to have Jim making stupid statements.

Mitch does make the basketball decisions, that has been stated repeatedly but like most replies to your posts, you fail to comprehend what is being posted.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Voices wrote:

Mitch does make the basketball decisions, that has been stated repeatedly but like most replies to your posts, you fail to comprehend what is being posted.

Excuse me, you know Jim has got his nose in every personnel decision. Just like his stupid comment about Kobe accepting a role if he decides to extend his Lakers career. This is clearly evidence of his meddling. The majority of your posts, defend incompetent management and bash great Lakers. Just what qualifications does Jim have. You are also saying that Mitch is responsible for the Lakers horrible record. Don't you think Jim should of fired Mitch for the worst record in Lakers history?

The reason why the Lakers cannot attract blue chip FA is because of what?
The Lakers were one of the most respected organization in all of sports, are you going to say the Lakers are still the most respected?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Again, your concept of how the Laker FO runs isn't what really happens. IT has been reported here by several posters, but you fail to comprehend. To answer your question, no, Mitch should not have been fired. Luckily the FO aren't as spoiled as their fans are and they do not expect a title every season. They understand that lows come with all highs. It happened with Jerry Buss and Jerry West, it happens everywhere. If you do not understand why top FAs have passed on the Lakers then you seem to lack an understanding of the NBA. Tell me how many top FAs have gone to a team that is in the lottery? It doesn't happen except for someone like Lebron. Do I think that Westbrook would have come to a lottery team like the Lakers if he were a FA this past offseason? Yes, I am sure he would have. Like Lebron, he is one of those guys who just wants to go back home. And yes, the Lakers are a highly respected organization not just in the NBA but in all of sports. Sports agents that I know speak highly of the organization. But like our FO, they have a grasp on reality and do not expect a title every season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Nash openly admitted (despite not being able to play) that he wouldn't retire before last season because he wanted the money, openly admitted that.

I find it odd that Nash's no-duh comment (I want the money I am contractually owed) is such a big deal to some people.

The weird thing is that there was never any question Nash would get all the money he was owed -- the only question was whether an insurance company would pay a small portion of it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:
Nash openly admitted (despite not being able to play) that he wouldn't retire before last season because he wanted the money, openly admitted that.

I find it odd that Nash's no-duh comment (I want the money I am contractually owed) is such a big deal to some people.

The weird thing is that there was never any question Nash would get all the money he was owed -- the only question was whether an insurance company would pay a small portion of it.

It's not a big deal. They already disliked him. I think to many of them his style of play always represented something they found threatening or unappealing to why they watch basketball.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
tolivendiewithLA wrote:

People think with their emotions and not their heads. There was a contractual obligation that neither side breached and those contracts go both ways. If Nash had averaged 30, 15 and 8, that $9 mil would be a bargain. Unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Again, your concept of how the Laker FO runs isn't what really happens. IT has been reported here by several posters, but you fail to comprehend. To answer your question, no, Mitch should not have been fired. Luckily the FO aren't as spoiled as their fans are and they do not expect a title every season. They understand that lows come with all highs. It happened with Jerry Buss and Jerry West, it happens everywhere. If you do not understand why top FAs have passed on the Lakers then you seem to lack an understanding of the NBA. Tell me how many top FAs have gone to a team that is in the lottery? It doesn't happen except for someone like Lebron. Do I think that Westbrook would have come to a lottery team like the Lakers if he were a FA this past offseason? Yes, I am sure he would have. Like Lebron, he is one of those guys who just wants to go back home. And yes, the Lakers are a highly respected organization not just in the NBA but in all of sports. Sports agents that I know speak highly of the organization. But like our FO, they have a grasp on reality and do not expect a title every season.

Please giving up 2 second and two 1st round picks for an over the hill Nash is not the way to build a team, Nash was a frigging unrestricted FA. Trading for a player that said he did not want to be a Laker, yea, I am talking about that dumb ass Dwight, that is also a great move by this brilliant Lakers management, yea the same one you say is respected by the scouts you know. I'm sure Lakers management is respected by the Scouts you know. Sure having a champion every year is impossible, after all SA does not win it every year, they just compete for it every year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: