*OFFICIAL* 2016 NBA Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Early in the season it's not abnormal for a player entering a successful program to not be the central "star". (as an aside, Grayson Allen is not a borderline lotto pick, I'm honestly surprised that he's even getting consideration by NBA scouts, he just doesn't project as an effective NBA player whatsoever)

As far as recent 5 star freshmen not being the best player on the team immediately...see Wiggins' start at Kansas (deferring to Perry Ellis), Harrison Barnes at UNC (Tyler Zeller), Kyrie at Duke (Nolan Smith), Jabari at Duke (Rodney Hood), Towns at Kentucky (Aaron Harrison), Andre Drummond at Connecticut (Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier), Brad Beal at Florida (Kenny Boynton), Derrick Favors at GT (Iman Shumpert)...I could honestly just go on and on and on

Ben Simmons is more physically developed than his peers, flat out. On top of that, he is playing for LSU, a team that had nobody, so obviously he is going to be the focal point.

here's Draft Express' Mike Shmitz, on Ingram: https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/672248663482044416

here's Kevin O'Connor: https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

It's not a foregone conclusion that Simmons is the #1 pick. He's the better all around player right now, the more physically mature player right now - and he is a truly special player, but Ingram has all the potential in the world and I could easily see him ending up #1 by the end of the CBB season.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

My argument is that Grayson Allen is the better player now and will be at the end of the year (in college). Borderline lotto pick was me being generous. I don't think Allen remains the better player beyond this year, however.

And I'll take any wager on Simmons going #1 overall. I think he's that special.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Early in the season it's not abnormal for a player entering a successful program to not be the central "star". (as an aside, Grayson Allen is not a borderline lotto pick, I'm honestly surprised that he's even getting consideration by NBA scouts, he just doesn't project as an effective NBA player whatsoever)

As far as recent 5 star freshmen not being the best player on the team immediately...see Wiggins' start at Kansas (deferring to Perry Ellis), Harrison Barnes at UNC (Tyler Zeller), Kyrie at Duke (Nolan Smith), Jabari at Duke (Rodney Hood), Towns at Kentucky (Aaron Harrison), Andre Drummond at Connecticut (Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier), Brad Beal at Florida (Kenny Boynton), Derrick Favors at GT (Iman Shumpert)...I could honestly just go on and on and on

Ben Simmons is more physically developed than his peers, flat out. On top of that, he is playing for LSU, a team that had nobody, so obviously he is going to be the focal point.

here's Draft Express' Mike Shmitz, on Ingram: https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/672248663482044416

It's not a foregone conclusion that Simmons is the #1 pick. He's the better all around player right now, the more physically mature player right now - and he is a truly special player, but Ingram has all the potential in the world and I could easily see him ending up #1 by the end of the CBB season.

IDK about O'Connor, but DX has Skal going #1 over Simmons, which I frankly think is insane.

I see mostly a spot up shooter who can attack a closeout in Ingram. I don't see a lot of ball handling or shot creating from him. IMO, Simmons' ability to handle the ball, rebound, & pass set him apart from everyone else in this class.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

IDK about O'Connor, but DX has Skal going #1 over Simmons, which I frankly think is insane.

I see mostly a spot up shooter who can attack a closeout in Ingram. I don't see a lot of ball handling or shot creating from him. IMO, Simmons' ability to handle the ball, rebound, & pass set him apart from everyone else in this class.

Ingram's isolation ability is still developing. He has a few pet moves that I posted in the last page - he LOVES his spin move into the lane from either side for a midrange jumper where he uses his length and vert to get separation over the top, and a durant-esque "long" crossover.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject:

Looks like Simmons is just on another level.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

I hope Simmons has a good head on those shoulders... odd, he reminds me of Beasley when Beasley was beasting college, then pffft.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

He seems most like Lamar, similar types of strengths and limitations at a similar size, but Lamar had a much more developed shot at that same stage, and Simmons has a more developed frame.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
He seems most like Lamar, similar types of strengths and limitations at a similar size, but Lamar had a much more developed shot at that same stage, and Simmons has a more developed frame.

Simmons also has a more developed sense of "I WANT TO (bleep) YOU UP" to his game.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

If we get Simmons, we have to find a way to get Chip Engelland as shooting coach. Guy has Kawhi Leonard leading the league in 3pt%. Just for reference, Leonard shot 21% and 29% from three in his freshman and sophomore years respectively. Can you imagine Simmons with an outside shot? He'd be unguardable.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject:

Ben Simmons

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Ingram vs buffalo

He seems to be hitting his stride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

I really like Ingram's fit with the lakers team.

His length and height would compensate for randle's lack of and randle's strength will compensate for Ingram...

Better fit than Simmons imo
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

My not entirely educated Top 5 at this point...

1) Ben Simmons
2) Brandon Ingram
3) Kris Dunn
4) Jamaal Murray
5) Jaylen Brown
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

10. wrote:

His length and height would compensate for randle's lack of and randle's strength will compensate for Ingram...

We need to draft the best player available and worry about how they fit later. I'd be happy with either one if we keep our pick.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
My not entirely educated Top 5 at this point...

1) Ben Simmons
2) Brandon Ingram
3) Kris Dunn
4) Jamaal Murray
5) Jaylen Brown

I'd switch 4 and 5, but that's my list. Think Jaylen has the physical tools, but Murray has great hoop IQ.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject:

that's a good top 5.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
10. wrote:

We need to draft the best player available and worry about how they fit later. I'd be happy with either one if we keep our pick.

Do what 76ers did and draft 3 centers... NAH

Ingram is a good fit.

Tall, long and can shoot. He might take a year or two to grow, but when he does I think he will be better than Simmons in the NBA
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject:

Noticed that DX has some updated scouting vids for some of the international prospects. Here's Zhou Qi:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zhou-Qi-61857/
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

10. wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
10. wrote:

Ingram is a good fit.

Tall, long and can shoot. He might take a year or two to grow, but when he does I think he will be better than Simmons in the NBA

Yes do what the 76ers did because that's drafting 101. Always take BPA regardless of roster.

Creating a log jam is nothing compared to drafting a bust because of perceived fit.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
10. wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
10. wrote:

Ingram is a good fit.

Yes do what the 76ers did because that's drafting 101. Always take BPA regardless of roster.

Creating a log jam is nothing compared to drafting a bust because of perceived fit.

Madsen. Sasha. Cook.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ben Simmons

He just seems way more physically developed than all the other players. In the nba he won't have that advantage.

I don't want to sound like a hater/doubter because I haven't done any research, just watched that video, but what is the hype about?

If he can't shoot, he's just an athletic small forward with ball handling ability. More like an undersized pf? Maybe if he grew a bit more he'd be a great center?

On a side note, how did that college game get to that 227 points? Did no one play defense ?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
10. wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
10. wrote:

Ingram is a good fit.

Madsen. Sasha. Cook.

2000: Madsen @ #29; pretty slim pickings afterwards (Najera, Redd)

2004: Sasha @ #27; passed on Varejao and Ariza; TA was wildly athletic and couldn't shoot at all

2003: Cook @ #24 ; passed on K-Perk, J-Howard, Barbosa, Steve Blake

Few teams pick up much of a guarantee of talent in that pick range but 2003 was unusually deep. I think the Lakers clearly missed better opportunity in going with Cook.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
10. wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
10. wrote:

Ingram is a good fit.

Madsen. Sasha. Cook.

2000: Madsen @ #29; pretty slim pickings afterwards (Najera, Redd)

2004: Sasha @ #27; passed on Varejao and Ariza; TA was wildly athletic and couldn't shoot at all

2003: Cook @ #24 ; passed on K-Perk, J-Howard, Barbosa, Steve Blake

Few teams pick up much of a guarantee of talent in that pick range but 2003 was unusually deep. I think the Lakers clearly missed better opportunity in going with Cook.

I'll even add years.

2000: Slim pickings, but you'd think the Lakers would go with Jaric for a big PG that Phil Jackson is such a big fan of.

2002: Traded up for Kareem Rush, a player they didn't even work out. (Passed on Tayshawn and Boozer)

2003: Drafted Cook. Passed up Barbosa even though Ron Harper was his mentor leading up to the draft. Perfect time to add a speedy combo guard with length that could force turnovers and shoot 3s. Josh Howard. Kapono. Blake. Drafted a 6'10" shooter. Kapono is a local kid that shoots lights out. Blake has mamba blood.

2004: Went Sasha over Beno Udrih. Varajao. Even Chris Duhon. Still needed team speed at PG behind Fisher. Personally I was blinded with Romain Sato. Stud defender and 3pt. range. 3 and D with a 6'3" height and 6'10" wingspan.

Just, no matter what, always BPA. The Lakers passed up a handful of opportunities to add depth/talent in the early to mid 2000s that may have extended the championship run and saved legs for the team as well.

Only the most recent drafts I've been satisfied with the selection process.

44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Ingram playing at the 4 for the first time tonight with Amile Jefferson out - 6 boards, 2 blocks at the half, and just had a steal into end to end push for an and 1 jam.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

How about Gary Payton II at 2nd round? We will have an early 2nd round pick and Payton can be the 3-D guy playing next to DLO/JC
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: