OFFICIAL: James Worthy Added to Coaching Staff, Will Work With Bigs (Tracy Murray hired as a shooting coach)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

I'm curious to see how much impact the new consultants may muster in these areas:

- on Larry Nance Jr., with Worthy. Larry seems to be built more like James than is Julius Randle. I sense a higher upside - and earlier realization of it - to translation of James' post technique to Larry than to Julius.

- on Julius Randle, with Murray. Part of Murray's expertise was his seamless, repeatable takeaway from the final dribble. Square the shoulders initially, keeping elbows in from of his ribs, smooth motion with the hands on the extension. Randle could benefit greatly from some direction in this area: getting improved continuity in the action through his hands, elbows and shoulders.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I'm curious to see how much impact the new consultants may muster in these areas:

- on Larry Nance Jr., with Worthy. Larry seems to be built more like James than is Julius Randle. I sense a higher upside - and earlier realization of it - to translation of James' post technique to Larry than to Julius.

- on Julius Randle, with Murray. Part of Murray's expertise was his seamless, repeatable takeaway from the final dribble. Square the shoulders initially, keeping elbows in from of his ribs, smooth motion with the hands on the extension. Randle could benefit greatly from some direction in this area: getting improved continuity in the action through his hands, elbows and shoulders.

Worthy himself sees a lot of himself in Randle, particularly his quick first step. Nance is a better athlete, but he has rudimentary handles and footwork at best. He's got a lot of work to do to be a decently rounded NBA layer as opposed to an athlete with a big vertical leap.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Worthy himself sees a lot of himself in Randle, particularly his quick first step. Nance is a better athlete, but he has rudimentary handles and footwork at best. He's got a lot of work to do to be a decently rounded NBA layer as opposed to an athlete with a big vertical leap.

Speaking of rudimentary handles, James Worthy had a not-so-great one himself. He could pound the ball straight up and down in the post OK, or he could push it ahead of him at full stretch, but his ungainly hippity-hop crab gait dribble at any speed in between ? Good lord, embarrassing. That's exactly why I see Worthy helping Nance far more..
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Speaking of rudimentary handles, James Worthy had a not-so-great one himself. He could pound the ball straight up and down in the post OK, or he could push it ahead of him at full stretch, but his ungainly hippity-hop crab gait dribble at any speed in between ? Good lord, embarrassing. That's exactly why I see Worthy helping Nance far more..

One of my favorite things about James was he had this uncanny knack for picking off passes in lanes and dribbling it all the way home. I'm not sure that's something you can really teach however, or that you'd want to teach it. Essentially he was a gambler.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
70sdude wrote:

One of my favorite things about James was he had this uncanny knack for picking off passes in lanes and dribbling it all the way home. I'm not sure that's something you can really teach however, or that you'd want to teach it. Essentially he was a gambler.

Yes that was something to see. He'd poke that ball out and keep it in front of him all the way to the rim, for him about six steps. Every time he lit up the crowd like few things could. James was a smart player, with a helluva first step, long arms and big hands. I remember him being interviewed by Roy Firestone and acknowledging that he'd learned to watch for those "poaching" opportunities in the Laker defense from Jamaal Wilkes, whom he played with for a few years in L.A. Good technque never dies, it just moves from Wooden to Wilkes to Worthy, and now hopefully to Randle and Nance.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I didn't know he learned it from Wilkes. You really don't see it anymore so I always thought it just James's thing, and you're right he'd poke the ball out more than steal it. If he can teach it, great.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Simply put, I don't trust Randle defending SFs. Holmes has some versatility because of his lateral quickness and solid length.

It wouldn't be pretty for a frontline, but I do expect the Lakers to run small lineups with a power frontcourt utilizing Randle and MWP for a few stints. That allows them to play small, but stay very physical in the paint.

Comparatively I think there's a good amount of SFs who Randle is similar to quickness wise. Tobias Harris and Galanari come to mind; guys like Joe Johnson, Deng, Parsons, Batum - I think Randle is in these guys' class quickness wise. I think them being good ball handlers gives off the impression that they're quicker than they are - but just thinking about them athletically - not impressive.

I'm leaning towards thinking Randle is much better suited guarding SFs, just from an energy conserving standpoint. Banging with bigs for rebounds is draining. You complete the defensive possession and then you have to exert more energy and bang for a board.
Randle's slashing game is more energy expending than a typical PFs offensively. Kobe just said in his last interview that you can see on LakersNation ; handling the ball is more physically tiring than just catching and shooting. Randle's slashes are tiring IMO, and idk if he has the wind to then go defend and bang - that's what I've seen..
we'll see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: