Hurricane Joachin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Joachin

Quote:
The weather outlook for the eastern U.S. is starting to resemble the plot of a 1970s disaster movie in which everything that could go wrong did.

From the mid-Atlantic to the Northeast, the coastal states have been soaked by rain. While this is happening, Hurricane Joaquin lurks in the shadows, passing over water that is just perfect for it to strengthen explosively. No one could say for certain Wednesday where it will land.

On top of that, high pressure in Canada and low pressure in the southern U.S. will conspire to slam the surf onto land, eroding beaches and keeping water pinned along the shoreline. As that happens, another round of rain could leave 2.5 inches (6.4 centimeters) in New England to as much as 5 to 8 inches from New Jersey to North Carolina.

“There’s certainly going to be a lot of rain before Joaquin even gets here,” said Bruce Terry, a senior branch forecaster at the U.S. Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland.

Hurricane Joachin Shaping Up to Be a Doozie

Obama could get his chance at a Katrina Blunder or a shining Moment that Repubs will call a photo op.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

This sucker just got raised to a Class 2 and is strengthening. This one has the real potential to to be a Grand Daddy when it starts to collide with that coastal off-shore. Thursday night can see the start of some mass evacuations:

Quote:
Joaquin, poised to pound the Bahamas with heavy rain and dangerous storm surges, strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane on Wednesday night, the U.S. National Hurricane Center announced.

The storm's move later this week could have flooding implications for an already drenched eastern United States. While forecasters are having a hard time figuring where Joaquin is headed, they believe the storm will become a major hurricane by Thursday night.

Joaquin's outer bands were already splattering the southern Bahamas and Cuba with rain Wednesday night.

The storm's center was spinning 80 miles (129 kilometers) northeast of Samana Cay in the southern Bahamas. Its maximum sustained winds of 105 mph (169 kph) extended 35 miles

Mother Nature Preparing an Autumn Surprise
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Hold on to your butts...

!...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject:

I've always wondered who comes up with the names
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

LINK
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

LINK

That last named Hurricane of the 2015 season will be like Dynomite:

Hurricane Wanda
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

LINK

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

Went from Category 2 to Category 3 overnight and is still gaining momentum as it heads for the east coast. We should have a clearer picture of landfall in about 10 hours. This thing has SuperStorm written all over it. Could be Sandy's big brother.

Quote:
Hurricane Joaquin, already a Category 3 storm, continued to strengthen Thursday as it churned through the Bahamas. Forecasters are still uncertain whether it will make a weekend landfall along the East Coast.

The storm, with maximum sustained winds increasing at midmorning to 125 mph, was lashing the central Bahamas with hurricane strength winds that extended as far as 35 miles from the eye, the National Hurricane Center in Miami reported.

As of 11 a.m. EDT, the center of the storm was passing over Samana Cays, Bahamas, and moving southwest at 6 mph. It is forecast to turn toward the west-northwest Thursday night followed by a turn toward the north and an increase in forward speed Friday, according to the hurricane center.

SuperStorm Joachim
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Just raised from a Category 3 to a Category 4 and it's stregthening very fast and picking up speed. If this thing is still humming when it hits the coastal off shore, then we're in for quite a show. It's lash is spinning @130mph right now 45 miles from the eye.
Quote:

Regardless of what Joaquin does, an equal concern in the U.S. is a "historic, potentially life-threatening rainfall event expected this weekend" in the Southeast from a separate weather system, the National Weather Service said.

States along the East Coast are bracing for the worst. New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina all declared states of emergency ahead of the predicted bad weather.

Forecasters are still uncertain whether Joaquin will make landfall along the U.S. East Coast.

Joaquin will move northward much of this weekend, roughly paralleling the coast, AccuWeather said. There is nearly equal possibility the storm will make landfall along the mid-Atlantic coast, the New England coast or veer out to sea.

Up to a Category 4
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

JOAQUIN is a great actor
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Will the next hurricane be called River?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
About 22 million Americans across the East Coast were under flood watches Saturday as a "once in 200 years rainfall event" started soaking the Carolinas — with the worst yet to come.

As much as 12 inches of rain fell overnight in Wilmington, North Carolina, and numerous water rescues were reported.

"Our goal constantly is to be overprepared and underwhelmed," North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory told reporters Saturday morning.

South Carolina could get more rain in three days than it normally does during the entire fall, The Associated Press reported. Saturday was the third consecutive day of the relentless onslaught of rain, with the plume of precipitation expected to last through the weekend and only start to let up on Monday.

Officials on Saturday reported 17,000 power outages across North Carolina

Once in 200 Years Rain - Flood Event
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Seriously it goes in alphabetical order so my guess its going to be a female named K (Katrina is out obviously)

Kobe isn't a girl's name so we know that's out.

Kate? Kim?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Seriously it goes in alphabetical order so my guess its going to be a female named K (Katrina is out obviously)

Kobe isn't a girl's name so we know that's out.

Kate? Kim?

Yep, Kate is the next named storm followed by:

Larry
Mindy
Nicholas
Odette
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Biblical Flooding in the Bible Belt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: