PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
NL Central:

100 wins for STL
98 for PIT
97 for CHI

NL Central has become the NBA Western Conference

Yeah it's disgusting how good that division is. It's even more pronounced than the NBA WC. It's like if it were 2000 and the Spurs/Kings/Lakers were in on division.

I don't have the answer to this, but has there ever been a time, in any sport ever where the three bets records in the entire sport was in one division? It's insane. Ribeye with the answer maybe?

On a tangent, how about that Joe Maddon eh boys?

I'm not as anti-Mattingly as most Dodger fans, but I really hoped Friedman/Zaidi would snatch him up.

It's the first time in the MLB, btw. Can't find info on NFL or NBA
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

I've always like BJs, they've been really good this year

/bandwagon Bluejays fan
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Anyone else rooting for the Astros?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-mlb/20151005/20151005133515871852108/

Quote:
Sabathia to check into alcohol rehab center, miss playoffs

NEW YORK (AP) — Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia is checking into an alcohol rehabilitation center and will miss the postseason.

The team issued a statement from the pitcher Monday, a day before New York plays Houston in the AL wild-card game. Sabathia, the 2007 AL Young Award winner, said he took the step to receive the care he needs and become the kind of person ''I can be proud of.''

''I love baseball and I love my teammates like brothers, and I am also fully aware that I am leaving at a time when we should all be coming together for one last push toward the World Series,'' he said. ''It hurts me deeply to do this now, but I owe it to myself and to my family to get myself right. I want to take control of my disease, and I want to be a better man, father and player.''

Sabathia was 6-10 with a 4.73 ERA this year, slowed by his surgically repaired right knee. After returning from the disabled list and using a tighter brace, the portly 35-year-old left-hander was 2-1 with a 2.17 ERA in five starts and got the win against Boston that week that clinched the Yankees' return to the postseason following a rare two-year absence,

''As difficult as this decision is to share publicly, I don't want to run and hide,'' Sabathia said. ''Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you. I want my kids - and others who may have become fans of mine over the years - to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help. I want to hold my head up high, have a full heart and be the type of person again that I can be proud of. And that's exactly what I am going to do.''

His move is another blow to the Yankees' pitching staff, slowed in September by Masahiro Tanaka's hamstring injury and ineffective outings by Michael Pineda and Ivan Nova.

Sabathia, who helped New York win the 2009 World Series during his first season in the Bronx, is signed through next season. His deal includes a 2017 club option that would become guaranteed if his left shoulder doesn't get hurt.

''I am looking forward to being out on the field with my team next season playing the game that brings me so much happiness,'' Sabathia said.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

AH is an Astros fan. I'm rooting for them to beat the Yankees, but that's about it
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we might get past the Yankees, but we're not that good of a team. We exceeded expectations this year because the AL West stunk. The Mariners were supposed to be a powerhouse, like the Nationals. The Angels had disappointing pitching and a hot and cold offense. The As are in one of their rebuilding cycles.

We were playing with house money this year. It's been fun, and it's good to give the kids a taste of the playoffs. It will probably be a brief taste, though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Gotta hope for a 1985 rematch, Cards and Royals.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Not me.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Gotta hope for a 1985 rematch, Cards and Royals.

as long as Denkinger is NOT allowed inside the state lines!!!...ya' making me miss "one tough Dominican"
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

I like the postseason the way it is. As an Angels fan the extra wild card spot made the end of the season much more interesting. The one game playoff gives teams with the best record a bigger reward because the weaker wild card team might win, and the winner of the game will have used up its best starter. The #1 seeds can set their up their rotation the way the want against an opponent that can't do that.

Yes it's a crapshoot in a one game playoff, but I think even a best of five series goes by too quickly. Even a best of seven series feels super short conpared to a 162 game regular season.

The format keeps more teams in the race AND makes the division races really important.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I like the postseason the way it is. As an Angels fan the extra wild card spot made the end of the season much more interesting. The one game playoff gives teams with the best record a bigger reward because the weaker wild card team might win, and the winner of the game will have used up its best starter. The #1 seeds can set their up their rotation the way the want against an opponent that can't do that.

And if the wild card teams deserve to be in the World Series they can overcome those obstacles anyway (like KC and SF did last year).
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

AH is an Astros fan. I'm rooting for them to beat the Yankees, but that's about it

I am not rooting for either team. The Astros are a young team but they have a better pitcher tonight. I think Astros win tonight.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
NL Central:

100 wins for STL
98 for PIT
97 for CHI

NL Central has become the NBA Western Conference

Yeah it's disgusting how good that division is. It's even more pronounced than the NBA WC. It's like if it were 2000 and the Spurs/Kings/Lakers were in on division.

I don't have the answer to this, but has there ever been a time, in any sport ever where the three bets records in the entire sport was in one division? It's insane. Ribeye with the answer maybe?

On a tangent, how about that Joe Maddon eh boys?

I don't know but I can't see it happening in the NFL today because it has 8 divisions which is way too many in my opinion.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The wild card round

Astros at Yankees: I would have laughed at this a week ago. My Astros are a terrible road team. We had the worst road record in the AL, even after going 4-2 to finish the season. I wonder how many teams with a 33-48 road record have ever made the playoffs. I'm sure someone in the media will look it up.

The 87 Minnesota Twins were worse with a 29-52 record and won the World Series. I don't know about other teams though.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I like Tanaka, but he lost it after that first HR. He wasn't really finding the plate early, the Astros were just swinging at bad pitches (which, to be fair, is what they do).
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Ah, the pinch-runner. Steals a base, scores on a single to left field - Dodgers could use one of those...
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Astros should make quick work of them in the bottom of the 9th.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject:

How many Yankees fans are actually sad right now?
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Astros win, Yankees go fish...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

One NY team goes down. The other NY team is next.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The wild card round

Astros at Yankees: I would have laughed at this a week ago. My Astros are a terrible road team. We had the worst road record in the AL, even after going 4-2 to finish the season. I wonder how many teams with a 33-48 road record have ever made the playoffs. I'm sure someone in the media will look it up.

The 87 Minnesota Twins were worse with a 29-52 record and won the World Series. I don't know about other teams though.

I saw the stat somewhere. In addition to the Twins, the '06 Cards and some other World Series winner had bad road records. I'm not holding my breath, though. I'm just glad the kids get to play in a real playoff series. We might even steal a game from the Royals.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Jeter is rolling over..this ain't his Yankees....what a sorry meek effort...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Sad night for the 98 win Pirates. But let's move on.

Divisional Series

Texas vs. Toronto: It's hard to imagine any reason why the Rangers would win this one. I figure they'll have one game where Beltre comes up big, but Blue Jays in 4.

Houston vs. Kansas City: The Astros actually have a chance to make this one close, but the Royals' bullpen is a real weapon this time of year. There may be one game when the Astros hit some bombs, so I'll say Royals in 4.

LA vs. New York: The Mets made the playoffs. That's cute. Dodgers in 4.

Chicago vs. St. Louis: Weirdly enough, the Cubs will be the fashionable pick in this series. It's hard for a 100 win team to fly under the radar, but the Cards will thrive on it. The last time the Cubs won the World Series, the Ottoman Empire still existed and the Titanic had not yet been built. This could change in coming years, but not this year. Cards in 5.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Sucks for the Pirates, they finally get a winning team after not making the playoffs for so many years and they always lose in the early rounds of the playoffs.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Sucks for the Pirates, they finally get a winning team after not making the playoffs for so many years and they always lose in the early rounds of the playoffs.

They still have promise but they need to start acquiring hitters to surround McCutchen and Co.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15
Jump to: