10 Dead - 9 Injured in Oregon College Campus Shooting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

8 times a civilian with a gun stopped a multiple shooting from getting much worse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:
When a person during a baseball game jumps on to the field they always cut away because they dont want to encourage copycats.

When a psycho goes on a killing spree, the mainstream media blasts his face all over the place for weeks at a time. Its almost like they want copycats.

It is no coincidence that the early reports almost always include elevated victim numbers and the eventually corrected totals aren't reported with the same vigor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
It turns out the arsewipe was not killed in a shootout with police as originally reported. Apparently he shot himself:

Quote:

Gunman who killed nine people at Oregon college shot himself dead, examiners determine

Shooter Committed Suicide

So, despite all of those officers dressed in full battle gear ARMED TO THE TEETH WITH GUNS, the presence of all those guns in opposition to the shooter's weapon had nothing to do with ending the attack.

Actually they had everything to do with ending the attack. Without them it is likely it wouldn't have ended.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
8 times a civilian with a gun stopped a multiple shooting from getting much worse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

That's a fair point, but have you compared that to the number of times a civilian gun made things worse?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Example: the majority of the nearly 2000 women murdered each year are killed with a gun. 93 percent are killed by someone they know, 85 percent are killed absent another crime (i.e. not during a rape or robbery or other crime). 62 percent are killed by their domestic partner.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Anyone notice the story that the Oregon shooter was so well armed because his mother was stockpiling guns in fear the government was coming to take them away?
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

That's a fair point, but have you compared that to the number of times a civilian gun made things worse?

Like this:

Houston police responded to a shooting call around 11:15 p.m. Saturday at a Valero gas station on Jensen Drive at Reid Street in North Houston. Officials say two men jumped another man in the gas station parking lot and took the victim's Chevrolet pickup truck. Police say a witness then pulled out a gun and began shooting at the suspects, accidentally hitting the carjacking victim in the head.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/27/one-man-injured-after-carjacking-shooting-at-gas-station/72923278/
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Anyone notice the story that the Oregon shooter was so well armed because his mother was stockpiling guns in fear the government was coming to take them away?

Yep, she was a certified gun nut (enthusiast) who often bragged about her personal armory and said she moved from Southern Cal to Southern Oregon so she could open carry. She was basically a NRA poster Child and desired her son to be the same and follow in her zealotry. Gun addictions are no different than any other addiction. If someone collect 14 VW Combi-Vans, 14 bullet proof vests, 14 pick axes, 14 copies of the movie Rambo, 14 dildos, or 14 microwave ovens - we'd call it what it is - an obsessive compulsive disorder that likely needs some looking at. All of those things are perfectly legal, but generally someone with a screw that's a little loose would seek to collect that much of something. It's an over-infatuation that's likely a red flag to an underlying issue.

Quote:
Laurel Harper, the mother of the Oregon mass murderer, stockpiled firearms because she feared stricter gun laws. Chris Harper Mercer’s mother bragged on Facebook about the number of guns and assault rifles she owned and argued in favor of laws allowing the open carrying of firearms.

In addition, Laurel Harper shopped around for a shooting range that would allow her and her son to fire away without supervision.

The Oregon murderer’s mother, a nurse, shared an apartment with her son, and spoke openly about her love of guns, according to the mother of one of her patients.

“She said she had multiple guns and believed wholeheartedly in the Second Amendment and wanted to get all the guns she could before someone outlawed them,”

Quote:
She told my husband she just purchased some new guns a few weeks ago and took him shooting. I thought the whole situation was very strange. If you know your son has mental health issues, do you encourage a fascination with guns?”

One of the reasons she moved up to Oregon was to get away from California and give him more space and peace and quiet,” Steele said.

And so that she could Open Carry her firearms.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Like this:

Houston police responded to a shooting call around 11:15 p.m. Saturday at a Valero gas station on Jensen Drive at Reid Street in North Houston. Officials say two men jumped another man in the gas station parking lot and took the victim's Chevrolet pickup truck. Police say a witness then pulled out a gun and began shooting at the suspects, accidentally hitting the carjacking victim in the head.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/27/one-man-injured-after-carjacking-shooting-at-gas-station/72923278/

I don't see where he was charged for shooting the victim. I think he should have been. It could set a precedence if he's not. People in the area of a crime carrying may think the have the right to play policeman.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't see where he was charged for shooting the victim. I think he should have been. It could set a precedence if he's not. People in the area of a crime carrying may think the have the right to play policeman.

The shooter picked up the shell casings and left the scene.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's impossible. Gun owners don't commit crimes like leaving a crime scene and tampering with evidence. We hear all the time about how universally good citizens they are. Somethings not quite right with this story. A gun owner wouldn't add insult to injury and shoot some poor guy in the head just for not letting his truck get stolen from him.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
It turns out the arsewipe was not killed in a shootout with police as originally reported. Apparently he shot himself:

Quote:

Gunman who killed nine people at Oregon college shot himself dead, examiners determine

So, despite all of those officers dressed in full battle gear ARMED TO THE TEETH WITH GUNS, the presence of all those guns in opposition to the shooter's weapon had nothing to do with ending the attack.

Actually they had everything to do with ending the attack. Without them it is likely it wouldn't have ended.

Yeah, amazing how their powers of ESP willed the guy to shoot himself.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

This is a deeply entrenched gun nation. There has to be many many more massacres with much higher body counts until something might happen.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

"Gun-Free Zone" Canard

Quote:
In the immediate aftermath of a mass shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon, conservative commentators instantly referred to the school as a "gun-free zone," falling back on conservative media's go-to mass shooting talking point.

At least 10 people were reported killed, and many others injured October 1 during an Oregon community college mass shooting, and as facts concerning the shooting remained scarce, media figures immediately made references to the campus as a "gun-free zone" on CNN, Fox News, Fox Business Network, the Drudge Report, and other conservative websites.

But these references of "gun-free zones" represent a red herring because they rely on the assumption that more people carrying guns would stop mass shootings, when in reality there is no evidence to support such claims.

The overwhelming majority of mass shootings actually occur where guns are allowed to be carried. And according to an analysis of 62 public mass shootings over a 30 year period conducted by Mother Jones, not a single shooting was stopped by a civilian carrying a firearm. Mother Jones also found that gunmen do not choose to target locations because guns are not allowed, but rather other motives typically exist for choice of location, such as a workplace grievance.

As Evan DeFilippis and Devin Hughes explained in a commentary for The Trace, the idea that "gun-free zones" attract mass shooters is based on the faulty assumption that the shooters are "rational actors":

Perhaps the most glaring flaw in the argument against gun-free zones, in the context of mass shootings, is its underlying assumption that shooters are rational actors. Lott himself admits that about half of criminals who commit mass shootings have received a "formal diagnosis of mental illness," yet his model requires them to act precisely as we know they don't: as hyperrational, calculating machines, intentionally seeking out gun-free environments for the sole purpose of maximizing causalities.

In reality, many shooters target a location based on an emotional grievance or an attachment to a particular person or place. An FBI study of 160 active shootings (defined as a shooter actively attempting to kill people in a populated area, regardless of the amount of fatalities) between 2000 and 2013 -- including the high-profile mass shootings in Tucson and Aurora -- shows that of the shootings that occurred in commercial or educational areas, the shooter had some relationship with the area in 63 percent of the cases.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, amazing how their powers of ESP willed the guy to shoot himself.

More than likely it was them shooting at him.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I heard or read that somewhere.

They saw him picking up the casings, if they wanted to charge him I'm of a mind they could find him.

I'm not versed in law, this is a query. If they find the carjackers could he be charged with assault?

It's not setting a good precedence allowing citizens to take the law into their hands. This is not the Wild Wild West.

Not wanting him to be charged, just wondering.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/oct/02/mass-shootings-america-gun-violence?CMP=share_btn_fb

I knew it was bad but not this bad.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

For all the red blooded Americans who are against gun control
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Between 2012 and 2015,:

ISIS has murdered approximately 12,138 civilians,
Boko Haram,10,092,
the Taliban 9,427
Hamas, 85.

In that same timespan Americans have murdered or spree killed via gun and assault rifle, 87,423 people in the United States.

Americans OutKill the Taliban, Isis, & Boko Haram by almost 3 to 1

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Between 2012 and 2015,:

Boko Haram,10,092,
the Taliban 9,427
Hamas, 85.

In that same timespan Americans have murdered or spree killed via gun and assault rifle, 87,423 people in the United States.

Americans OutMurder the Taliban, Isis, & Boko Haram by almost 3 to 1

We WIN! We WIN! We WIN!

UHMERCA!
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/oct/02/mass-shootings-america-gun-violence?CMP=share_btn_fb

This includes a lot of data that in no way resemble what happened in Oregon.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

How so? It was a mass shooting...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Between 2012 and 2015,:

Boko Haram,10,092,
the Taliban 9,427
Hamas, 85.

Americans OutKill the Taliban, Isis, & Boko Haram by almost 3 to 1

DAMN!!!

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I do not equate drive by shootings with what happened in Oregon. Completely different problems imo.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
24 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I do not equate drive by shootings with what happened in Oregon. Completely different problems imo.

Sure, but what does that change about the data presented? There are a lot of mass shootings of several types.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: