*** 2015-16 General NBA Game Discussion Thread ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Golden State got away with a foul on Stephenson in that last play.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

That was a luck 'o the Irish type win...

EDIT: GSW got away with a few fouls in the homestretch but so did Memphis so oh well…

Moving back to the Bulls now, glad to see them still putting up some fight against the Cavaliers and to see the young guys playing well…

Last edited by TDRock on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Lol...this is way too close.

Can sopmeone tell me how MEmphis is in the playoff hunt? They have like 20 d-leaguers and Matt Barnes has been one of their best players.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
Golden State got away with a foul on Stephenson in that last play.

Yeah, minimal contact up top but you can't walk underneath a player shooting a jumpshot.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject:

EC playoffs look more interesting than WC
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Make your free throws Pau!!!
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

YEAH BULLS!!!

Nice flop attempt, JR.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lol...this is way too close.

Can sopmeone tell me how MEmphis is in the playoff hunt? They have like 20 d-leaguers and Matt Barnes has been one of their best players.

Houston imploded and decent coaching.

I do hope the Grizzlies kick Barnes to the curb after this season.

Stupid Cavs you had one job. The Pacers actually have to win to get in at this point.

Although I don't know why I'm rooting for a 1st round playoff exit either.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Based on his current average of 20 FGA per game, Curry will need to go 25/60 in the last three games to finish at 50% for the season.

Curry also has 385 made 3ptrs for the year
he'd need 15 more in the final 3 games to reach 400

The next closest guy on the "made 3ptrs in a season" list that's not Steph Curry is Ray Allen with 269 (#4) - so, Curry is way in the hell beyond that already, with 3 more games to go.

Klay Thompson has 266 3's this season, so it's likely he's going to bump Ray down to 5th on that list - Curry and Klay will hold the top 4 spots on that list

it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out too

Seems clear that Curry had the 400 milestone on his mind tonight and was gunning for it. Not that he hasn't earned the right to do it. Even for the best of players, personal/individual achievements can take away from the team. Poor game, so he's also barely hanging on to 50% FG for the season now.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

What a 4-point play by Lillard. Poor job of fouling by Wolves.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

What a finish in Portland. Towns is amazing. Lakers didn't tank hard enough last year, lol.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
What a finish in Portland. Towns is amazing. Lakers didn't tank hard enough last year, lol.

https://streamable.com/4do5

Bad, bad man. There guys are starting to figure it out. Pulling out these tight ones down the stretch of the season.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
the association wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a Kawhi fan ... but damn, these Warriors are such a disquieting collection of (bleep). Between the dirty play on the court, the entitlement and blatant abuse of any official who dares to whistle them on obvious fouls, the obnoxious fans at the OA, etc. ... really, other than the coaching staff, Klay and Barnes, everyone in that building has a completely punchable face.

They're very good, but (bleep) ...

Newsflash: every championship team since ever has played dirty. You just aren't going to win otherwise because the other guy will play dirty too. Review Lakers-Celtics 2008 vs Lakers-Celtics 2010. Every championship team since ever has been entitled and they have all whined about the officiating. And every championship team that isn't your own has obnoxious fans. And you're supposed to pretty much think the guys on the other team have punchable faces. Welcome to fandom.

So freaking true Its always funny at the end of each year, no matter who wins, the fans of other teams will all say that team got all the calls while the fans of the winning team say they're the only team that ever won with fair officiating.

You become a champion by taking advantages wherever you can get them. I can't think of a championship team that didn't know how to use the officiating to their advantage. There are a number of infractions that happen on every play and we all know they cant or won't call them all. Pushing a shooters midsection while he's shooting, shoving a guy in the back while he's rebounding, moving screens, clearing out with the off arm, hand checking, 3 in the key on either end, carrying, traveling, and so on. Every single time down the court, one or more of these calls can be made. The good teams do these things often and trust the officials to miss most of them, which they will.

The 2010 finals was such a heated battle because both teams were among the best ever at working the officiating. On both Lakers and Celtics forums, there were furious posts about the officiating and extensive videos of all of the bad calls. This is why officials are such a big part of the game, it's not like these players are unskilled and will double dribble or travel or foul out of clumsiness or lack of discipline. They're so good that they will break the rules wherever or whenever they want and make it look natural.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
RG73 wrote:
the association wrote:
Disclaimer: I'm a Kawhi fan ... but damn, these Warriors are such a disquieting collection of (bleep). Between the dirty play on the court, the entitlement and blatant abuse of any official who dares to whistle them on obvious fouls, the obnoxious fans at the OA, etc. ... really, other than the coaching staff, Klay and Barnes, everyone in that building has a completely punchable face.

Newsflash: every championship team since ever has played dirty. You just aren't going to win otherwise because the other guy will play dirty too. Review Lakers-Celtics 2008 vs Lakers-Celtics 2010. Every championship team since ever has been entitled and they have all whined about the officiating. And every championship team that isn't your own has obnoxious fans. And you're supposed to pretty much think the guys on the other team have punchable faces. Welcome to fandom.

So freaking true Its always funny at the end of each year, no matter who wins, the fans of other teams will all say that team got all the calls while the fans of the winning team say they're the only team that ever won with fair officiating.

You become a champion by taking advantages wherever you can get them. I can't think of a championship team that didn't know how to use the officiating to their advantage. There are a number of infractions that happen on every play and we all know they cant or won't call them all. Pushing a shooters midsection while he's shooting, shoving a guy in the back while he's rebounding, moving screens, clearing out with the off arm, hand checking, 3 in the key on either end, carrying, traveling, and so on. Every single time down the court, one or more of these calls can be made. The good teams do these things often and trust the officials to miss most of them, which they will.

The 2010 finals was such a heated battle because both teams were among the best ever at working the officiating. On both Lakers and Celtics forums, there were furious posts about the officiating and extensive videos of all of the bad calls. This is why officials are such a big part of the game, it's not like these players are unskilled and will double dribble or travel or foul out of clumsiness or lack of discipline. They're so good that they will break the rules wherever or whenever they want and make it look natural.

No, you become a champion by having superior talent, a superior system / executing against your game plan, or a combination of both.

Suggesting that playing as dirty as possible, without being caught (which is what it sounds like you're suggesting, incidentally), is what makes a champion doesn't hold water for me. I agree that cagey play is almost always a critical element to success on the court. But there's a chasm between cagey play and dirty play. And while lots of dirty players have rings, many more have none.

Anyway, are there any differences between champions? Is it not possible that the rise of the millennial generation, the influence of social media, and the particular mixture of personalities on the Warriors has resulted in conduct that is more objectionable than that of the past 50+ NBA champions? Or do all champions conduct themselves similarly? How about just the past ten years? The 2007 Spurs? The 2008 Celtics? The 2009 and 2010 Lakers? The 2011 Mavericks? The 2012 and 2013 Heat? The 2014 Spurs? Yeah, I see players that walked the line of dirty play on those rosters, but I just don't see the same Warriors level of hubristic douchebaggery on any of those teams, though I'm sure many here do when it comes to the Celtics and LeBron (our legacy and generational bogeymen). Oh, well ... agree to disagree.

In the meantime, it's surprising to me how many Lakers fans find anything to relate to (or admire - other than the scoreboard) in Oakland. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the postseason works out anyway.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:

https://streamable.com/4do5

Bad, bad man. There guys are starting to figure it out. Pulling out these tight ones down the stretch of the season.

That's either a great play call or a great read by Towns. Portland was playing that like he was gonna set a screen. Perfect post up technique too, putting his foot right between the defender's legs and then using a reverse pivot to seal his man.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow... The Warriors have a whole...situation... they go into pre-game. Ok then lol
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
RG73 wrote:
the association wrote:

No, you become a champion by having superior talent, a superior system / executing against your game plan, or a combination of both.

Suggesting that playing as dirty as possible, without being caught (which is what it sounds like you're suggesting, incidentally), is what makes a champion doesn't hold water for me. I agree that cagey play is almost always a critical element to success on the court. But there's a chasm between cagey play and dirty play. And while lots of dirty players have rings, many more have none.

Anyway, are there any differences between champions? Is it not possible that the rise of the millennial generation, the influence of social media, and the particular mixture of personalities on the Warriors has resulted in conduct that is more objectionable than that of the past 50+ NBA champions? Or do all champions conduct themselves similarly? How about just the past ten years? The 2007 Spurs? The 2008 Celtics? The 2009 and 2010 Lakers? The 2011 Mavericks? The 2012 and 2013 Heat? The 2014 Spurs? Yeah, I see players that walked the line of dirty play on those rosters, but I just don't see the same Warriors level of hubristic douchebaggery on any of those teams, though I'm sure many here do when it comes to the Celtics and LeBron (our legacy and generational bogeymen). Oh, well ... agree to disagree.

In the meantime, it's surprising to me how many Lakers fans find anything to relate to (or admire - other than the scoreboard) in Oakland. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the postseason works out anyway.

Obviously talent is the biggest thing but it's just one of many advantages that are needed to win it all. I'm not suggesting that the dirtiest team wins or that playing dirty equates to any kind of success. I'm saying that the teams that win are good at all aspects of the game, including working the officials and bending the rules where they can.

It is the same in all sports. If Kershaw is on the mound and the umpire is known to call the corners, think he will be throwing many pitches over the heart of the plate? Of course not. Not all of these tricks are "dirty" but you can't name a championship team that didn't have at least a few guys that were great at this kind of stuff.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

The Pacers have made the playoffs

And will end up with a 1st round exit

Bulls have been eliminated(which actually gives me more joy)
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Congrats!

Basketball Fan wrote:

Hey! lolz
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Warriors tie the Bulls record for wins with one game to go. Against the Spurs. In San Antonio. That has to be a huge relief to the team. They've been unable to win in San Antonio for years and years.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
the association wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
RG73 wrote:
the association wrote:

Obviously talent is the biggest thing but it's just one of many advantages that are needed to win it all. I'm not suggesting that the dirtiest team wins or that playing dirty equates to any kind of success. I'm saying that the teams that win are good at all aspects of the game, including working the officials and bending the rules where they can.

It is the same in all sports. If Kershaw is on the mound and the umpire is known to call the corners, think he will be throwing many pitches over the heart of the plate? Of course not. Not all of these tricks are "dirty" but you can't name a championship team that didn't have at least a few guys that were great at this kind of stuff.

Thank you for the clarification ... also, 100% agreed with the above.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Congrats!

Basketball Fan wrote:

Hey! lolz

Grew up near Chicago hated all Chicago teams especially the Bulls. Living in Bulls Country during the 90's was awful
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie's move at 2:55 - 3:15 mark (with replays) - filthy ...
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Curry's on a roll vs Memphis tonight
4-5 from 3, 2 of them were from waaaaayyyyyyy downtown
and there's 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

End of the first, 23-37 GSW.
Curry is 6-9 on 3's

he started this game with 392 3's made this season. after the 1st quarter, he's got 398.
going for 400 in a season.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 72 of 74
Jump to: