Should the Lakers be Playing DLO as a SG/PG instead of PG?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Lakers be Playing DLO as a SG/PG instead of PG?
Yes, he should play more SG than PG.
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
No, he should learn the PG spot by trial and error.
47%
 47%  [ 31 ]
50/50 PG/SG duties.
30%
 30%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 65

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Should the Lakers be Playing DLO as a SG/PG instead of PG?

IIRC, DLO did not play primary PG in high school. At OSU, arguably he played more SG/PG than PG/SG or PG. There was a nominal “PG” (Shannon Scott) who brought the ball up and oftentimes, the ball went to DLO as the finisher or the guy who made the pass to finish the play.

I understand the notion that the Lakers want to develop him as a PG, but I’m not sure it’s the best position to play him full-time. Just a comparison, size wise for the top young SGs in the NBA (draft combine measurements per DX).

DLO's measurements: height in shoes, wingspan, standing reach (according to DX database from combines, rounded up)
6'5, 6'10, 8'6

Danny Green:
6'6', 6'10, 8'5

Beal:
6'5, 6'8, 8'4

Klay
6'7, 6'9, 8'8

Harden
6'5, 6'11, 8'8

From a size standpoint, while he is thin, DLO can certainly get bigger and stronger since he’s only 19. If he bulks up for the PG position, will that compound his quickness issues at the position?

I think he operates best when there is a nominal ball handler who can set the offense up and he runs a series of off-ball movements where he can end up with the ball of a screen/curl and light them up mid-range or carve a team apart using the screen setter. Having him walk the ball up, make the first pass and just stand on the perimeter is wasting his skills off-ball IMO. I would really like to see him play more SG, particularly with Huertas. What are your thoughts?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject:

How many minutes has Huertas/DLO played together? I would think that's one pairing we'd like to run in preseason? Is this a secret weapon?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject:

Russell should be playing off the ball more as a playmaking SG. OSU had another PG on the roster that ran the offense at times. The way OKC is using Westbrook is how the Lakers should be using Clarkson. He's better when he's in attack mode. Clarkson avg nearly 6 apg last year playing with below average players. He would be even better with Russell and other shooters around him.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

Yes, but this entire scenario is moot since Byron is the coach and doesn't have the creativity to take advantage of a guy like DLO which is one of the reasons this thread exists i imagine.

!...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

I think he should be playing more in a combo guard role, but that he should play at the 1 and in spurts at the 2.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

With a Russell/Clarkson backcourt, it seemed to be the Lakers intention of playing Russell as a PG/SG, or vice versa, however you like.

What the Lakers probably didn't count on is that Randle sometimes acts as a PF-guard, when he rebounds the ball, and pushes it up the court. Russell, not being as aggressive a personality as Clarkson or Randle, seems to disappear at times. He has the talent/potential, he just needs to find himself, his voice, on this team.

Randle, for all his potential, tends to be a bit of a black hole at times, when he gets the ball. He makes plays for himself, but the offense stagnates. He hasn't progressed to the level, yet, where he can go "Kobe". Kobe has proven to be a facilitator, that Randle hasn't, so far. He needs to learn to pick his moments, and be smarter on offense.

ZOOM!!!!!!

Last edited by sonic the laker on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

Well since he's imitating Kelly's old hairdo maybe power forward?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Russell should be playing off the ball more as a playmaking SG. OSU had another PG on the roster that ran the offense at times. The way OKC is using Westbrook is how the Lakers should be using Clarkson. He's better when he's in attack mode. Clarkson avg nearly 6 apg last year playing with below average players. He would be even better with Russell and other shooters around him.

Agree. The reason why we don't see "attack mode" DLO or "flashes" is because he's trying to run whatever Scott's "system" is. Ever notice how well he cuts off ball to the rim and has a few open layups? Or that he likes coming of curl screens at the FT and hitting that 18 footer? A little hard when he has to walk the ball up, set up the stupid offense, and THEN start moving.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
With a Russell/Clarkson backcourt, it seemed to be the Lakers intention of playing Russell as a PG/SG, or vice versa, however you like.

What the Lakers probably didn't count on is that Randle sometimes acts as a PG-guard, when he rebounds the ball, and pushes it up the court. Russell, not being as aggressive a personality as Clarkson or Randle, seems to disappear at times. He has the talent/potential, he just needs to find himself, his voice, on this team.

Randle, for all his potential, tends to be a bit of a black hole at times, when he gets the ball. He makes plays for himself, but the offense stagnates. He hasn't progressed to the level, yet, where he can go "Kobe". Kobe has proven to be a facilitator, that Randle hasn't, so far. He needs to learn to pick his moments, and be smarter on offense.

ZOOM!!!!!!

Yeah. We have a LOT of guys who need the ball in their hands. Why not try DLO off ball? I think he's been successful in the small stints he's gotten. Imagine DLO cutting off ball with Huertas finding him?
younggrease
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:

Westbrook plays like Westbrook because that is who he is...Maybe DLO needs to learn how to be effective on the court.

He had the same issues when going against NBA level athletes and comp in college. Its not just the system, he hasnt looked great attacking at all and there is not any that gives no chances to attack
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject:

I don't think playing him at PG hinders his development in any way so what do we have to lose by playing him there? This team isn't making the playoffs. Let him learn the PG spot by trial and error.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

younggrease wrote:
Westbrook plays like Westbrook because that is who he is...Maybe DLO needs to learn how to be effective on the court.

He had the same issues when going against NBA level athletes and comp in college. Its not just the system, he hasnt looked great attacking at all and there is not any that gives no chances to attack

He's not a Westbrook type player. I think he can run curls/screens and cut to the basket. He's very good at that. See, the misconception with him is that he needs to be a "break down defender, attack with dribble and dunk" player. That's not his game. If anything would like to see some Klay/Beal type actions for him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Well since he's imitating Kelly's old hairdo maybe power forward?

Those two guys need to get to the barber asap.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

In this offense, they really are taking turns all over the place. I don't think it really matters who brings the ball up because often they only do it to throw the ball to the other guard. And certain times during the game where Clarkson brought it up, Russell didn't even get to touch the ball.

The problem for Russell individually is that he's required to share the juicy early offense opportunities that the Lakers don't get enough of as it is, with Clarkson, Randle, and whoever's playing SF. And in the half court, basically, if it's a two guard front, then the other guy is the facilitator. If it's a floppy, then the SF or SG is the facilitator. If it's one of the Princeton high sets, then the center is the facilitator. If it's an elbow set, then Randle is the facilitator. And in all these, the Lakers don't get into them quickly enough to leave time on the clock, nor do they share the ball well as a team, so he'll get limited opportunities.

Even so, he's not really behind the other rookies statistically. It just looks that way because he's had two games cut short. So you could imagine he'd look a heck of a lot better in a pace and space offense where the ball tends to find it's way back to him to make a play with time to spare.

Last edited by fiendishoc on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:50 am; edited 3 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
I don't think playing him at PG hinders his development in any way so what do we have to lose by playing him there? This team isn't making the playoffs. Let him learn the PG spot by trial and error.

Sure, but I hope that by putting him in a less-than-optimal position, it's not killing the kid's confidence. This is why I'm increasingly open to pursuing someone like Conley and letting DLO just go for buckets and get assists off of moving plays rather than stationary PG positions.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

It is still too early to draw any conclusion yet. But starting basically 3 rookies in Randle, Clarkson and Russell seems not a good idea. And none of them are good defender. I suggest to insert ABrown for Russell.

Hibbert
Randle
Kobe
ABrown
Clarkson

Kobe is still the best passer in this team. Let him play together with Clarkson and Russell is kind of waste of play making skill and limit his role to a spot up shooter. Replace Russell with ABrown would improve the perimeter defense, give them a better shooter, and utilise more on Kobe's play making skill, scoring ability and experience. Randle and Clarkson would also benefit.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

Just play basketball.
younggrease
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Just play basketball.

pretty much this.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure why this poll even exists. It was obvious the Lakers were going to use him as a hybrid the second they drafted him. They have two hybrid PGs.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
I'm not sure why this poll even exists. It was obvious the Lakers were going to use him as a hybrid the second they drafted him. They have two hybrid PGs.

Poll exists because:

1. we're not the Lakers' management.
2. this is a messageboard.
3. in the hopes of sparking up conversation, this thread/poll is created.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

Who would play point than?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Everybody is dead set on the following starting lineup:
Russell, Clarkson, Kobe, Randle, Hibbert
The thing is, with that lineup the best catch and shoot guy is running PG (DLO) in the P&R.
If we're all deadset on starting our 3 young guys together. Then running Russell off-ball is a good idea.

Last edited by kikanga on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

KyrieRubio wrote:

Would be something like:

1. Clarkson
2. Huertas
3. DLO
4. Lou

Clarkson did well at PG last year too, lest people forget. But DLO was immediately advertised as a "PG" by the Lakers.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KyrieRubio wrote:

Would be something like:

1. Clarkson
2. Huertas
3. DLO
4. Lou

Clarkson did well at PG last year too, lest people forget. But DLO was immediately advertised as a "PG" by the Lakers.

Than no. Honestly, i rather have kobe play pg over anyone on the team now, rather than sf.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

KyrieRubio wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
KyrieRubio wrote:

Would be something like:

1. Clarkson
2. Huertas
3. DLO
4. Lou

Than no. Honestly, i rather have kobe play pg over anyone on the team now, rather than sf.

So Clarkson, who garnered all ROY playing exclusively at PG can't all of a sudden bring the ball up and attack the rim/kick out?

I mean he's no Kyrie Irving or "Rubio" but come on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: