Offensive philosophy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
None.

This. Unless making a half time adjustment to (bleep) up both rotations counts.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
From what I can see it's pick and roll, if that fails then isolation.

i did not see this. a lot of dribbling and a lot of handoff's is what i saw
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Purp 32 wrote:
From what I can see it's pick and roll, if that fails then isolation.

i did not see this. a lot of dribbling and a lot of handoff's is what i saw

Those are the machinations of the Princeton, I believe, which make the coach feel smart and like he's doing something before a one-on-one heave comes up.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
i saw just the same trash as last yr.

there is no strategy

We still have too many broken pieces from Last Year. The Cuts need to begin tonight. The first unit needs more playing time together, but I like what I see. The second unit shows promise, after that it's a goodwill sale. The second half of this game Byron took a long look at that trash, it was the same as last year. I'm glad he didn't throw Upshaw in with that group.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Can someone explain to me why the Lakers didn't run more of what happened on the very first offensive play? The play where we get a pick set from Randle to Russell, and then a nice pass from Russell to Randle for the easy dunk.

...and then we never see it again? Literally all the Warriors do on offense is run high screen pick and rolls. There is no reason this Lakers team can't do the same thing. This team does have good shooters, and it has a mobile front court and back court.

Instead, more isolation, players standing around majority of the time, players taking bad/contested shots and being overly aggressive getting to the rim when they just brick the lay ins.

What the hell Byron? What the actual hell are you doing with this team other than killing their legs in practice? What exactly is it, that you do? And why are his rotations so freaking brain dead? Even in the preseason!?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

It's rare a team that's relatively new in terms of last season vs next season, getting a lot of new players in, looks great on opening night, let alone preseaon game 1.

But, it's also been obvious, Byron hasn't figured out an offense for any of his teams the last 5-6 years that he's been coaching that actually look appealing.

I like Byron though, I love his love for the Lakers. I just wish someone else (an assistant) was in charge of the plays and how to set up the O.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's rare a team that's relatively new in terms of last season vs next season, getting a lot of new players in, looks great on opening night, let alone preseaon game 1.

But, it's also been obvious, Byron hasn't figured out an offense for any of his teams the last 5-6 years that he's been coaching that actually look appealing.

I like Byron though, I love his love for the Lakers. I just wish someone else (an assistant) was in charge of the plays and how to set up the O.

Isn't that how he got the job?

!...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

He was blessed with basically coach/players in Kidd and CP3. We hope DLO will be that good but Scott will be long gone by then and back on TWC.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
None.

This. Unless making a half time adjustment to (bleep) up both rotations counts.

Scott always seems to amaze with this aspect
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

yupe. 3 reasons he got the job:
Former Laker
Kobe approved
Their dad was going to hire him in 2011

none of it was for basketball related
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject:

What I took from "offense" that we did run in the first half (the only half that mattered in this game).

1st unit: Lots of easy shots, swing passes, open opportunities. Need to hit them though. The screen and roll's were good. The 2-3 passes to set up Kobe or Hibbert in the post was good. Once we started hitting our groove and defense leading to offense it was a treat.

2nd unit: Instant offense. Will get us back into, and build up leads a lot. Our bench basically outplayed their starters and their 2nd unit. Was fun to see.
Swaggy and Lou are gonna be dangerous. Especially when Huertas is setting them up and not Jabari Brown(who tunnel visions way too much).

3rd Quarter we tested out the unit we could run when Kobe is resting back to backs, and it started out on fire, but then we lost our offensive focus and the Jazz got back into it, then we regained our groove to close out the 3rd which showed nice grit and ability under fire.

4th Quarter doesn't matter. Jabari Brown and his tunnel vision killed all our momentum and he stopped caring on defense once his confidence was taken. Nothing to see here.

I liked the defense from both units tbh in the 1st and 2nd quarters. I just mainly want Randle to focus on rotating and helping Hibbert when he rotates to stop penetration.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Only guy supporting Scott still.
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think the bigger problem on the 4th was the lack of defense instead of an offensive presence.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

no idea why.

why the hell was Kelly playing at 3? Kelly should go smack on his bald head and tell hey MF, i am a PF and not sf.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

We actually looked ok in the 1st Q. Had a lot of open shots that just didn't go down. In the second, guys competed on D and Lou took over. I don't have any good things to say after that.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

LakerBeastmode wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I think the bigger problem on the 4th was the lack of defense instead of an offensive presence.

The players got gassed in the 4th. And Scott did (bleep) all about it and let them kill themselves anyway. Lack of adjustments and any terrible subs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

It's the BS philosophy.

Not one to panic after the first preseason game, but it's a little worrying that it looked like summer league all over again.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
LakerBeastmode wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

The players got gassed in the 4th. And Scott did (bleep) all about it and let them kill themselves anyway. Lack of adjustments and any terrible subs.

Not to mention playing bad combinations.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

if what actually happened goes against what people are saying or panicking about, then it's not support. It's what happened.

If you want to overreact after one pre-season game however the more power to you.

The two units we're actually going to see was in the 1st and 2nd quarters. The lineup in the 3rd is what we'll see when Kobe is resting on back to backs.

So those are the units you focus on and talk about.

If you want to take a 3 minute lineup of

Lou Williams
Anthony Brown
Ryan Kelly
Tarik Black
Robert Sacre

or a 7 minute lineup of the above but with Jabari Brown instead of Tarik for serious for analytical reasons then there isn't much left to tell you.

You may wish it was more serious so you could feel more justified within your conclusions.

However it is what it is. Take it as seriously as you think is necessary, but by the 3rd week or so you may look back on it and see how much you overreacted. Till then, feel free to dwell on about the first pre-season game.

Last edited by MJST on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Megaton wrote:
LakerBeastmode wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Definitely agree that the guys in the 4th was worn out. Why not put Upshaw or even Holmes as a defensive presence on the paint. It's a preseason game but I'm still pissed off about how it went down.
Omar Little

fiendishoc wrote:
We actually looked ok in the 1st Q. Had a lot of open shots that just didn't go down. In the second, guys competed on D and Lou took over. I don't have any good things to say after that.

Should have put brown in for Kobe and left the second unit intact. Screwed up both units.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

24 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerBeastmode wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Not to mention playing bad combinations.

And lack of playing time from players who actually need it. Like...I don't know...last name rhymes with Saw?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Should have put brown in for Kobe and left the second unit intact. Screwed up both units.

You mean Anthony Brown right? Because if it's Jabari then things may have gotten screwed a lot sooner than they did =P Especially with 'tunnel vision' switched on.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
24 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

You mean Anthony Brown right? Because if it's Jabari then things may have gotten screwed a lot sooner than they did =P

Yes. But hey, playing him at the two and kelly at the 3 is a fine alternative. In some world.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

if what actually happened goes against what people are saying or panicking about, then it's not support. It's what happened.

If you want to overreact after one pre-season game however the more power to you.

The two units we're actually going to see was in the 1st and 2nd quarters. The lineup in the 3rd is what we'll see when Kobe is resting on back to backs.

So those are the units you focus on and talk about.

If you want to take a 3 minute lineup of

Lou Williams
Anthony Brown
Ryan Kelly
Tarik Black
Robert Sacre

or a 7 minute lineup of the above but with Jabari Brown instead of Tarik for serious for analytical reasons then there isn't much left to tell you.

You may wish it was more serious so you could feel more justified within your conclusions.

However it is what it is. Take it as seriously as you think is necessary, but by the 3rd week or so you may look back on it and see how much you overreacted. Till then, feel free to dwell on about the first pre-season game.

No my man. That's why last season matters to me. I see the trajectory the past few years he's been a head coach. Nothing new here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: