Offensive philosophy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerBeastmode wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerBeastmode wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's rare a team that's relatively new in terms of last season vs next season, getting a lot of new players in, looks great on opening night, let alone preseaon game 1.

But, it's also been obvious, Byron hasn't figured out an offense for any of his teams the last 5-6 years that he's been coaching that actually look appealing.

I like Byron though, I love his love for the Lakers. I just wish someone else (an assistant) was in charge of the plays and how to set up the O.

Isn't that how he got the job?

I think the bigger problem on the 4th was the lack of defense instead of an offensive presence.

The players got gassed in the 4th. And Scott did (bleep) all about it and let them kill themselves anyway. Lack of adjustments and any terrible subs.

Definitely agree that the guys in the 4th was worn out. Why not put Upshaw or even Holmes as a defensive presence on the paint. It's a preseason game but I'm still pissed off about how it went down.

What I bolded is what's important.

That means that everyone is going to get a chance, unless they suck in camp.

We'll see some games where Sacre is benched and in those games is when Upshaw needs to take advantage. But early on, Sacre has been outplaying Upshaw in camp. This is expected because Sacre is used to not just camp, but the speed of the NBA, so him outshining Upshaw early is expected.

IT's also expected that Upshaw will catch up to him and start to outshine him by about the 2nd or 3rd week of camp. We shall see and hope so.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Now that we have a semblance of a core in place, we should definitely not hire someone who will be coming in with a losing coaching record as a throwaway next time.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

We'll see some games where Sacre is benched and in those games is when Upshaw needs to take advantage. But early on, Sacre has been outplaying Upshaw in camp. This is expected because Sacre is used to not just camp, but the speed of the NBA, so him outshining Upshaw early is expected.

IT's also expected that Upshaw will catch up to him and start to outshine him by about the 2nd or 3rd week of camp. We shall see and hope so.

can u post a link where it says Sacre is outplaying Upshaw?

also playing everybody means playing them at their natural positions. not playing kelly at 3
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
on.nba.com/1iXMQB9

well BS thinks there is lot of things they are going to work on &

they will do lot running tomorrow as well. its comical to me
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

A popular defensively philosophy actually applies to his offense: No easy baskets.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
MJST wrote:

can u post a link where it says Sacre is outplaying Upshaw?

also playing everybody means playing them at their natural positions. not playing kelly at 3

Go follow the training camp thread. It was talked about through the first few days.

Upshaw however has started leading the Lakers bigs in sprints now so he's coming around.

All the information and stuff is in the training camp thread.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

So, is the team waiting on Kobe or DangeRuss to pick out an offensive scheme for this year? Maybe they'll let Lou.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I will not be surprised to see very little of Upshaw this coming season. People already forget Mitch said he does not expect him to be in the rotation this season. He is a project, think Andrew Bynum or less.

Bynum only played in 46 games his rookie year and average 7 minutes per.

Thats like you miss him playing while in the bathroom having a nice long number two, and not see him again for weeks.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
If this keeps up I may have to adjust my over/under for wins this season.

I said we would be lucky to win 25 games. The best defense is a great offense and this team has none. Nobody is going to play 48 of just pure defense nobody. Basketball is a game of momentum , and when you are scoring freelly and you have your opponent on their heels, you get energized and you play the best defense. Running around after failed shots won't get you nowhere. The Lakers can barely score 80 points against Utah that tells you everything. Scott's offense is predicated on having great one on one players and that is missing on this , and thus the offense is a failure.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
I will not be surprised to see very little of Upshaw this coming season. People already forget Mitch said he does not expect him to be in the rotation this season. He is a project, think Andrew Bynum or less.

Bynum only played in 46 games his rookie year and average 7 minutes per.

Thats like you miss him playing while in the bathroom having a nice long number two, and not see him again for weeks.

Damn, you mean to tell me I have to choose between having a nice long number two and watching him play? Sometimes a nice long number two is a difference maker for a nice day...
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject:

There were a few possesions when williams came in that the ball movement was looking like the spurs out there, even with swaggy P there was penetration kick outs penetration kick out, i was like WTH? and then it died.

I think scott still uses rileys outdated playbook C or PF at the 3 point line with the ball waiting for a scrub to come and grab it.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah. None, besides running players into the ground in practice like Riley did in '89, and which Byron ironically complained about at the time, though BS is doing the same damn thing he complained about back then, and which probably cost the Show a title with Magic and Byron getting injured post Riles' foolish pre-Finals intensive boot camp.

"I take a lot of pride to this day where ex-players of mine and those around the league say, 'Coach Scott's training camps is one of the toughest, if not the toughest in the NBA.'"

Wonderful.

BS actually takes pride in running the team ragged, being "old school," paying mere lip service to analytics (I'll believe it when I see it implemented - prediction - it won't be), being in love with the least efficient shot in basketball (long range two), all the while eschewing pace and space for inefficient isos, ignoring the corner three, and possessing no acumen to coach O or D, etc. He is pretty qualified at alienating players and having a miserable coaching record.

"'One day, you're going to coach,'" Riley recalled in an interview with the Los Angeles News Group. '"You're going to figure out the hardest thing to do is to get players to do things you want them to do.'"

Scott responded, "You're out of your damn mind, Riles. I'll never coach in my life."

How I wish Byron had been correct.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject:

Run down shot clock and let Sacre iso !
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject:

I'll wait and not rush to judgement. After one preseason game there is not enough information IMO to determine what is going to transpire later.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It's rare a team that's relatively new in terms of last season vs next season, getting a lot of new players in, looks great on opening night, let alone preseaon game 1.

But, it's also been obvious, Byron hasn't figured out an offense for any of his teams the last 5-6 years that he's been coaching that actually look appealing.

I like Byron though, I love his love for the Lakers. I just wish someone else (an assistant) was in charge of the plays and how to set up the O.

I like Byron too but he's a bit stubborn, however I can say the same for 95% of the coaches in the NBA. People say the offense is old school but it's more of a Princeton, mixed with Pick n rolls ( which 90% of the league does), horns, and isolation plays. When Scott had CP3 he was basically doing the same thing and he was winning.
Phil's triangle was almost all isolation for some of the greatest players ever, the rest was just a mask so a few guys could touch the ball and feel like being there.
People don't understand the importance of having superstar players. You put KD, Westbrook, LBJ, Curry or any other superstar on the Lakers and I don't care what type of offense you have I will guarantee a contender and maybe even a champ. Heck all I have to do is make sure these guys touch the ball 90% of the time, and convince the others to play a little defense.
I remember John Wooden saying the most important stat in basketball is FG%, and wether you scored more points than the other guy. People think its a science but honestly the dudes that put the ball in the hole win.
Last night the Lakers barely shot 30%, and I have to say most of those shots should have been made. It was no excuse to miss a lot of those shots, and what bothers me is that all of these reporters never ask the right questions.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject:

We also missed a lot of open shots. No philosophy can fix that. Just need to practice shooting more.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

If u dont adapt to current situation u die. This yr BS will be last yr of him coaching in the nba.
24KT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
If u dont adapt to current situation u die. This yr BS will be last yr of him coaching in the nba.

Honestly last year should've been his final. It's not like he's known for his offense or defense or steering young players (please CP3/Kyrie didn't need Byron). He's just surviving off his old Laker name.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
We also missed a lot of open shots. No philosophy can fix that. Just need to practice shooting more.

You can blame BS "old school" practices, I expected them to miss a ton of shots and having nothing easy with Gobert there.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

Anyone wanna talk about the shots we forced Utah to miss?

Our offense is being talked about but it seems to be forgotten that we were beating the Jazz handily till our 4th lineup unit came in at the start of the 4th.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Our offense is being talked about but it seems to be forgotten that we were beating the Jazz handily till our 4th lineup unit came in at the start of the 4th.

Certainly with Hibbert inside, and younger fresher legs, Lakers D should be better. However, also remember that Utah is likely playing it's worst offense as well. Rarely do teams execute offense well in preseason. You'll see this even in the RS early on.

I'd judge our D about a month from now. You certainly should see an improvement from this team on D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

D'antoni doesn't sound too bad now
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

where was the transition defense?
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
MJST wrote:

Certainly with Hibbert inside, and younger fresher legs, Lakers D should be better. However, also remember that Utah is likely playing it's worst offense as well. Rarely do teams execute offense well in preseason. You'll see this even in the RS early on.

I'd judge our D about a month from now. You certainly should see an improvement from this team on D.

after being 29th there is only 1 way to go and thats up
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
If this keeps up I may have to adjust my over/under for wins this season.

I said we would be lucky to win 25 games. The best defense is a great offense and this team has none. Nobody is going to play 48 of just pure defense nobody. Basketball is a game of momentum , and when you are scoring freelly and you have your opponent on their heels, you get energized and you play the best defense. Running around after failed shots won't get you nowhere. The Lakers can barely score 80 points against Utah that tells you everything. Scott's offense is predicated on having great one on one players and that is missing on this , and thus the offense is a failure.

Utah was one of the best defensive teams in the league last year, and we weren't exactly putting our best offensive lineups out there. That's not what preseason is for.

For me, this season is strictly about watching the young players struggle. I expect them to play poorly and get beat up this year. It's part of the growth process that all young players go through: get humbled into realizing they're not as good as they thought they were.

I'll be content with 30 wins and the young guys flashing signs of their potential, and hopefully a healthy season for Kobe so he can retire with a clear conscience. Anyone expecting more from this team should be prepared to be under a ton of stress for the next 7 months.

This is the process young, rebuilding teams go through no matter who the coach is. Of course, I expect another season of incessant Byron bashing anyway. We have a young, inexperienced team that has never played a single game together and people are whining about the coach making them work hard . Unbelievable.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: