Rapist shot dead by armed neighbor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Rapist shot dead by armed neighbor

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/index.ssf/2015/04/17-year-old_shot_during_home_i.html

Gadsden police say a 17-year-old was shot to death Monday following an apparent home invasion, rape and robbery.

Capt. Bobby Jackson said the sequence of events began about 3 a.m. Monday. Three men, at least one with a handgun, committed a home invasion robbery in the 2100 block of Norris Avenue.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

For every story like this theres a bunch more where the gun makes situations worse and I'd argue that the neighbor's gun wasn't really responsible for her being alive. I think it was more that the suspect was hesitant in killing her. Lets also not forget the fact that she was (bleep) still raped and robbed?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject:

Maybe we should start a thread for every person accidentally shot with their own gun, or for every time a child finds a loaded weapon and accidentally kills themselves, another child or a parent. But then the whole front page would be covered with new threads...
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject:

I think the link must be wrong, that or the non-spun version came up for me. It sounds like the woman lived, good for her.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Maybe we should start a thread for every person accidentally shot with their own gun, or for every time a child finds a loaded weapon and accidentally kills themselves, another child or a parent. But then the whole front page would be covered with new threads...

Today:

Boy, 11, mistakenly kills brother, 12, in gun outing

http://news.yahoo.com/police-boy-11-accidentally-shoots-kills-brother-12-112558334.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I've always found it a bit pathetically comical when people point out these occasional anecdotal incidents as if they mean something.

It reeks of desperation. It's like them saying, "I know there are all those times when a gun in the house turned out to be a bad thing - like the little kid killing his brother playing with a gun that was in the house, or the dad who killed a child because he thought they were a burglar etc. But, but, but, but, there was that one time it worked out OK."

I agree that it makes no sense to start a new thread every time there's another person killed by a civilian weapon being misused or handled, or saved by one.

But I think it would be a telling thing to have a thread dedicated to tallying up all the instances of civilian guns playing into an innocent death versus preventing one.

So what say the mods?

How about a thread that is dedicated to tallying the number of times a civilian weapon stopped a death happening versus the number of times a civilian weapon ends in an innocent and pointless death due to accident or misuse - we can even rule out intentional homicide to make it fair for the gun hungry crowd.

I think it would be a great way to illustrate the realities of the debate.

So . . . .?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Funny how these threads appear after a shooting spree....its like he's the PR officer of the NRA.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Funny how these threads appear after a shooting spree....its like he's the PR officer of the NRA.

He had to go back to April to find this. Not like it's news. Specifically hunting these anecdotes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Well, he's a horrible PR officer for his Law Enforcement Officers, so maybe he's testing a new road.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject:

I've friends who are very pro gun. They shared a picture saying somethings like 84,999,848 gun owners did not kill anyone yesterday. Think it meant just a small percent of gun owners kill people. Got me thinking that currently the amount of deaths is still very acceptable to gun owners.

No amount of massacres of innocent people by legal guns is going to change thinking.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

Well, let's look at the numbers then.

There are over 300 million firearms in circulation in the US. In 2013 alone, there were almost 25 mil new NICS background checks performed according to the FBI. This figure doesn't reflect the numbers sold since it doesn't include multiple purchases per BC. But to keep things simple and conservative, let's say it's an even 300mil. Number of firearm related deaths per year on average hits above 30,000 per CDC. 2/3 of that figure is suicide. A good portion of that remaining 1/3 is gang violence. The rest is negligent discharges, crimes of passion, mass shootings, what have you. But again keeping things simple, let's be liberal this time and bunch it all up. That equals about 1 death per 10,000 legally owned firearms. That's less deaths than per cars registered. Even incredibly less so if you discount the suicides and gang violence.

Cars kill more people per year than legally obtained guns by a large margin. Where is the call for car control? Hell, medical malpractice kills hundreds of thousands each year. Doctor control? I guess these numbers are "acceptable" to you. Sorry for introducing a bit of perspective.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:

Cars kill more people per year than legally obtained guns by a large margin. Where is the call for car control?

Seriously? Here's you answer.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

Texas ‘good guy with a gun’ shoots carjacking victim in head — then runs away
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

Darwinism at it's apex.

Attacker takes a assault victim to a house where she says her neighbor kept her money. She yells to the neighbor she's being attacked. He sees the neighbor with a phone in his hand. Who in the hell do you think he's calling? Shoots in the air, not at the neighbor, in the air. This man didn't make it to kindergarten, he didn't graduate sand box. Stupidity abounds. This is one story so stupid you ask yourself, is this made up?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:

There are over 300 million firearms in circulation in the US. In 2013 alone, there were almost 25 mil new NICS background checks performed according to the FBI. This figure doesn't reflect the numbers sold since it doesn't include multiple purchases per BC. But to keep things simple and conservative, let's say it's an even 300mil. Number of firearm related deaths per year on average hits above 30,000 per CDC. 2/3 of that figure is suicide. A good portion of that remaining 1/3 is gang violence. The rest is negligent discharges, crimes of passion, mass shootings, what have you. But again keeping things simple, let's be liberal this time and bunch it all up. That equals about 1 death per 10,000 legally owned firearms. That's less deaths than per cars registered. Even incredibly less so if you discount the suicides and gang violence.

Cars kill more people per year than legally obtained guns by a large margin. Where is the call for car control? Hell, medical malpractice kills hundreds of thousands each year. Doctor control? I guess these numbers are "acceptable" to you. Sorry for introducing a bit of perspective.

How often people go on school massacres in a car?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Cars kill more people per year than legally obtained guns by a large margin. Where is the call for car control?

That was a drop the mic moment....
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Nice try, genius. Per your infographic, cars are heavily regulated. Yet, they still kill more people per year. If you take into consideration everything else I wrote from the post where you quoted just those two sentences, it certainly adds perspective i.e. deaths per registered cars vs. legal guns. Of course, that would mean accepting the facts for what they are instead of picking and choosing bits and pieces to fit your narrative. Oh and cars are not protected under the Bill of Rights. One is a right and the other is a privilege.

Mic drop my ass.
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

Fallout wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

I thought we were talking about what's acceptable to us pro gun folks.

You might want to watch that link and try to get to the root cause of recent school massacres instead of focusing on an inanimate object that's been around since the beginning of this nation and helped shape it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Texas ‘good guy with a gun’ shoots carjacking victim in head — then runs away

For all the stuff LEO's have been criticized lately, I don't think private citizens would do much better either....that is just comical.
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

Michigan ‘good woman with a gun’ opens fire on shoplifters in Metro Detroit:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/10/home_depot_customer_opens_fire.html
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Nice try, genius. Per your infographic, cars are heavily regulated. Yet, they still kill more people per year.

An infinitesimal amount of which are intentional acts. Automobile deaths are virtually always tragic accidents.

Quote:
If you take into consideration everything else I wrote from the post where you quoted just those two sentences, it certainly adds perspective i.e. deaths per registered cars vs. legal guns. Of course, that would mean accepting the facts for what they are instead of picking and choosing bits and pieces to fit your narrative. Oh and cars are not protected under the Bill of Rights. One is a right and the other is a privilege.

Mic drop my ass.

Man, the irony is rich there.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

You might want to watch that link and try to get to the root cause of recent school massacres instead of focusing on an inanimate object that's been around since the beginning of this nation and helped shape it.

Which has no pertinence to the discussion.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Nice try, genius. Per your infographic, cars are heavily regulated. Yet, they still kill more people per year. If you take into consideration everything else I wrote from the post where you quoted just those two sentences, it certainly adds perspective i.e. deaths per registered cars vs. legal guns. Of course, that would mean accepting the facts for what they are instead of picking and choosing bits and pieces to fit your narrative. Oh and cars are not protected under the Bill of Rights. One is a right and the other is a privilege.

Mic drop my ass.

1. Cars have a legit, required purpose beyond violence
2. Violence is not even the purpose of cars
3. Plenty of regulation and innovation are in play to bring the number of car deaths down.
4. Car owners aren't fighting every safety or regulatory advance, or pushing for more, more dangerous, unlicensed and unregulated cars.

To compare something with unintended consequences with something that is doing what it was designed for is disingenuousness of high order.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Splash1 wrote:

So what is acceptable to pro gun folks? What regulations would you find beneficial without infringing upon your rights as a gun owner?
Splash1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Nice try, genius. Per your infographic, cars are heavily regulated. Yet, they still kill more people per year.

An infinitesimal amount of which are intentional acts. Automobile deaths are virtually always tragic accidents.

Deaths are deaths and tragic like you say, intentional or otherwise. I'm not sure what your argument here is.

DaMuleRules wrote:
Quote:
If you take into consideration everything else I wrote from the post where you quoted just those two sentences, it certainly adds perspective i.e. deaths per registered cars vs. legal guns. Of course, that would mean accepting the facts for what they are instead of picking and choosing bits and pieces to fit your narrative. Oh and cars are not protected under the Bill of Rights. One is a right and the other is a privilege.

Mic drop my ass.

Man, the irony is rich there.

Tell me when have I ever pick bits and pieces to fit a narrative. That is you in a nutshell. Maybe you're just too busy dodging the context of the discussion by nitpicking, likely due to being shut down, to notice. Like I've said before, arguing with you is exactly like it is with a psychotic ex-girlfriend.

DaMuleRules wrote:
Splash1 wrote:
Fallout wrote:
Splash1 wrote:

Which has no pertinence to the discussion.

Yeah! You, pick them nits!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: