Was Mitch wrong to fire DanToni?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Was Mitch wrong to fire DanToni?

looking back, a guy out of the league was dropping 10 dimes a night running his offense.. Imagine Clarkson or Russell in that role. Or what about Randle being used in position to get buckets like a young Amare... hell Nance could be flying around like a young Marion...etc etc

Honestly Byron Scott offense is just a street one on one pick up game... Play physical which doesn't fly with the way the game is called these days... Why doesn't Mitch take heat for this horrible move? 2012 Laker team fell apart but DanToni had them fighting until Kobe got hurt... 2013 team just didn't have the talent....
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

isn't their a fire byron thread?
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

He's not firing MDA, MDA quit himself because lakers do not want to exercise his 4th year contract.
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:

antoni, there is no D in antoni, was a great offensive coach. Its just that byron is soo bad that it makes antoni look good.

like you pointed out, imagine Linsanity in antonis system. Lin, clarkson, wesley, kelley, davis could have done some damage in antoni system.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I thought D'Antoni "resigned".
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

It goes back to the Kobe extension. MDA just wasn't the right coach to maximize that investment, and they really didn't want it to be a bad investment.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

D'Antoni exited at the right time. We had a different team then. Might as well ask if parting ways with Riley was a good choice because we have good play-makers now.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They were wrong to hire him. Good riddance.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

D'Antoni resigned because we didn't exercise the fourth year of his option and didn't want to be a lame duck coach. And as much as I think he would be the perfect coach to maximize the offensive abilities of Clarkson, Russ and Randle, who knows if his superior offensive strategies would have won us a few too many extra games and we don't get Russell?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Mitch was 100% right in whatever led D'Antoni to leave. Unfortunately, the FO was 100% wrong to bring in Byron.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Mitch was 100% right in whatever led D'Antoni to leave. Unfortunately, the FO was 100% wrong to bring in Byron.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I feel that their attitude to hiring coaches is: "He won coach of the year. What's the worst that could happen?"
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
D'Antoni resigned because we didn't exercise the fourth year of his option and didn't want to be a lame duck coach. And as much as I think he would be the perfect coach to maximize the offensive abilities of Clarkson, Russ and Randle, who knows if his superior offensive strategies would have won us a few too many extra games and we don't get Russell?

A lame duck trying to tell the highest paid player in the NBA to run his offense... good luck

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

nb4
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject:

No MDA most certainly deserved to be fired and I actually think his resignation came a season late. Mitch was wrong in hiring Byron Scott. We shouldve went with a more modern progressive coach.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
No MDA most certainly deserved to be fired and I actually think his resignation came a season late. Mitch was wrong in hiring Byron Scott. We shouldve went with a more modern progressive coach.

You just basically described the guy they fired.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Byron is a much better tank commander. Even worse coach and has the fans' support.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

MDA will never win a chip, on a system that relies on firing away. Didn't do it with the Suns, the next team, next, next...

Maybe if he finds the perfect team for his system he could make it to the second round...

IMO, he's a waste of time ... & Jobless for a reason...
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike D'Antoni was hired too early imo.

"Small ball" hadn't really taken over the NBA as much as it has now.

I think with no Pau, no Dwight, and no Phil Jackson as "the guy the FO chose D'Antoni over" people would be beyond excited at the prospect of D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, and Julius Randle being coached by him.

I think he'd be better suited for a young team who was willing to buy into his philosophy rather than a team full of veterans who were stuck in their ways (Kobe, Pau) or thinking they were a post player when they really weren't (Dwight)

He made players like Jodie Meeks, Kent Bazemore, Ryan Kelly, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, Nick Young and even Jordan Hill look like above average players.

It's just unfortunate the Lakers couldn't get a good defense minded assistant to go along with D'Antoni
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

In my opinion, the problem with MDA was that the players did not fit his system; and then they got rid of him right when they got players to fit his system.

As someone said though, with MDA last year, the team may not have lost enough to get Russell.

However, this team is a great fit for MDA. Its interesting how so many people are demanding a modern, up tempo offensive style after they hated MDA.

I think if the Lakers had gotten MDA a year after they did, it would have worked out better. The question remains whether that D12 team was fatally flawed or was it MDA's fault. Also, what if Nash had remained healthy.

But comparing BS to MDA, the production from players is glaring. Wesley, Young, RKelly, Xavier, PGs, everyone fell off heavily after BS came in.

Anyway, for now, I am hoping against hope that BS can do a semi-decent job coaching and not hurt any of our young players.

Hopefully, soon, we can finally get a great, young coach of the future.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

I think with no Pau, no Dwight, and no Phil Jackson as "the guy the FO chose D'Antoni over" people would be beyond excited at the prospect of D'Angelo Russell, Jordan Clarkson, and Julius Randle being coached by him.

I think he'd be better suited for a young team who was willing to buy into his philosophy rather than a team full of veterans who were stuck in their ways (Kobe, Pau) or thinking they were a post player when they really weren't (Dwight)

He made players like Jodie Meeks, Kent Bazemore, Ryan Kelly, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, Nick Young and even Jordan Hill look like above average players.

It's just unfortunate the Lakers couldn't get a good defense minded assistant to go along with D'Antoni
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

He had Steve Clifford as the defensive coach, who had a great reputation. Then Rambis...
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
He had Steve Clifford as the defensive coach, who had a great reputation. Then Rambis...

I'll give you Steve Clifford, maybe.. but not-so-much with Kurt Rambis lol.

I won't beat this dead horse.. but I just happen to think, in my own formed opinion, that a team like this would probably have fared a little better under Mike D'Antoni than the team he inherited and then was "given" by the FO.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I thought Dantoni quit?
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

I think a better move would have been to keep Brown (for defense) and bring DAntoni on as his assistant. From what I understand of the guy (MDA) he has a Phil size ego and there is no way he would have gone for that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: