Russell Down...UPDATE: Not Playing Tonight, Pg. 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
wow from a bruised butt? seriously?

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Russell re-ignited my interest with the Lakers, so it sucks not watching him make other players better. Lakers are just less interesting without him.

We need him at full speed for the regular season. I really wanted to see him play, but better safe than sorry.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Unless you know the size of the bruise/ecchymosis/hematoma you can't really make an honest assessment of his pain threshold. Having a large bruise/ecchymosis/hematoma within a muscle is very painful and limiting so there's no reason to push it just for a preseason game.

Last edited by LakersMD on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
He's butt hurt and a game time decision? Cmon DLO. Don't make me question your toughness already!

Playing an unnecessary game where he still might be hobbled by pain isn't being tough, it's opening yourself to even worse injury due to trying to compensate for the pain while playing at full speed. Yeah, it sucks for fans if he can't suit up, but I'd much rather the Lakers and Russell make sure he's healthy than entertain me in a random PRESEASON game.

Does he have a bruise on his butt or not?

In most cases, of course I would agree. But I'm just surprised a bruised buttock, if that is indeed what is going on, would keep him out. What's the precuation? You can't break your own butt cheek .. Or can you?

It makes me wonder if there might be more to the story. Just never heard of a basketball player missing a game because they were literally butt hurt.

Could be a bruised tailbone, I have experienced it and it is actually extremely painful.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
He's butt hurt and a game time decision? Cmon DLO. Don't make me question your toughness already!

Playing an unnecessary game where he still might be hobbled by pain isn't being tough, it's opening yourself to even worse injury due to trying to compensate for the pain while playing at full speed. Yeah, it sucks for fans if he can't suit up, but I'd much rather the Lakers and Russell make sure he's healthy than entertain me in a random PRESEASON game.

In most cases, of course I would agree. But I'm just surprised a bruised buttock, if that is indeed what is going on, would keep him out. What's the precuation? You can't break your own butt cheek .. Or can you?

It makes me wonder if there might be more to the story. Just never heard of a basketball player missing a game because they were literally butt hurt.

Could be a bruised tailbone, I have experienced it and it is actually extremely painful.

That I could see. In the GD thread I thought he had broken it based on the reaction. But if that's what it is, why report it as a bruised glute? That's basically the buttcheek. Anyway, whatever, I'm sure he'll be back for the next game.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I have to admit, I am a little worried. I hope you're right. A tailbone can absolutely sit you down. But a bruise butt? I'm a Russell guy, I wanted him on draft night.. so I'm hoping its the tailbone. I would be extremely disappointed if it's a bruise butt. LOL! And I would question his eagerness to play and improve. This is not about toughness, this is about passion for the game. I want to see these guys chomping at the bit to play. That would tell me he wants greatness. So man, I hope it's the tailbone. Because I've had a bruised tailbone before, and I could not ball. Then again, I'm not that tough.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject:

Uh... so this is how it works in case you guys aren't familiar with the protocol:

The medical staff and coach get the final word in deciding whether a player will play, and they obviously sat him out as a precautionary measure. It wasn't Russell's decision. It's clear he wanted to go back in last game.

It's also kind of clear Russell wants play these games. If he had the choice to play, he obviously would play regardless of any injury. It's not a matter of his so-called "toughness" as a person, and I'm not sure why people are saying he's weak.

The problem is that these are preseason games and they mean squat. It's not worth exacerbating a potential problem for them. The Spurs are doing it right by sitting Parker, Duncan and Ginobili. You can tell Popovich puts almost no stock in these games.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:

He wanted to come back and play after he injured himself. I don't get what makes some posters think he's the one deciding if he can play or not.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Uh... so this is how it works in case you guys aren't familiar with the protocol:

The medical staff and coach get the final word in deciding whether a player will play, and they obviously sat him out as a precautionary measure. It wasn't Russell's decision. It's clear he wanted to go back in last game.

It's also kind of clear Russell wants play these games. If he had the choice to play, he obviously would play regardless of any injury. It's not a matter of his so-called "toughness" as a person, and I'm not sure why people are saying he's weak.

The problem is that these are preseason games and they mean squat. It's not worth exacerbating a potential problem for them. The Spurs are doing it right by sitting Parker, Duncan and Ginobili. You can tell Popovich puts almost no stock in these games.

I'm positive some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining.

The the coaching and training staff put Russell back out there they'd be complaining about they putting him at risk for injury in meaningless pre season games.

I'd rather the training staff play it safe than put him back out there before he's 100%. Given what's happened to this team the past 3 seasons every injury should be treated with the utmost seriousness.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
He wanted to come back and play after he injured himself. I don't get what makes some posters think he's the one deciding if he can play or not.

Because people here like to overreact.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: