Kobe's Defense Tonight (2nd Preseason Game)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Kobe's Defense Tonight (2nd Preseason Game)

Was it just me or was Kobe ridiculously active defensively? A few mistakes with his excessive cheating, but I haven't seen Kobe play that tenaciously defensively in a long time.

It confused me too. Why was he going so hard in a preseason game? He didn't play that hard defensively all of last year.

No way it lasts an entire year, but it was fun to watch. Hopefully he looks this fresh this season.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject:

maybe it's the MWP effect?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject:

He did that in several games last year. IMO, it's bad defense.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
He did that in several games last year. IMO, it's bad defense.

No I agree the cheating is just lazy/bad defense and he did that plenty last year.

What was different in this game at least from what I saw was that he actually recovered. Got back on his man and hounded him.

And I'm not specifically just talking about the over aggressiveness in the passing lanes. There were a lot of times where he was solid and stuck to his man. He seemed fully engaged on the defensive end, which was fun to see. The whole team seemed much more engaged defensively. Hibbert's impact is clearly seen already.

Sidenote, seeing Byron each time on the sideline makes me lose any hope of a decent season . Sorry I had to.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject:

It's that Metta and Roy effect.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject:

Thought kobe had some bad gambles, but some good sequences too. Much better patience and discipline on offense though.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject:

Kobe played solid tonight except for that heat check he took after he hit 2 shots in a row. This is the type of gMe I'd like to see from him, move the ball reward Hibbert by spoon feeding him off the screen n roll. Kobe is still the best player on our team that can spoon feed the center easy baskets off the screen smh

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject:

I agree with OP.

Kobe's always been a gambler. It's not a big deal. He's gonna try to gamble for steals a couple of times per game, just like he'll launch a couple of heat-check or home-run 3s. It's just his nature. When the gamble pays off, its amazing and can be a huge momentum changer that gets the crowd into it. When it doesn't we can get burned.

He's been doing it his whole career and its seemed to work out pretty well in the end. He locks down when he needs to.

What I look at is his activity on the defensive end. He was getting into guys, recovering quickly, just being all around tenacious pest. Both him and Artest, despite their age limitations.

In the end the effect it has on the rest of the team and their collective defensive effort was tangible on the court to me, especially in the 2nd half. When the younger guys see the older vets so active on defense it trickles down and makes them pick up their own effort.

I believe that having the talent he has around him now, where multiple guys can handle the rock and create for themselves and others will allow Kobe to focus more on the defensive end at times.

Think about how much energy Kobe has had to expend the past 15 years being the primary ballhandler/creator on the team.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject:

Kobe wasn't very disciplined defensively but he was extremely active. He's been trying to jump lanes, get reach-around steals and play "free safety" for some time now. It's not ideal by any manner, but that's what he does.

The difference is tonight he didn't quit on plays or attempt a bunch of half-hearted close outs.

It's easier to accept his poor defensive habits if he is going to bring that much energy to the court.

It's his fake defensive hussle plays that have bothered me over the past few years. There was none of that tonight. It was good to see that.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject:

Some times I feel like Kobe having a mid age crisis on the court. He really shouldnt get into duels with the opposing teams young players. His defense isn't what it used to be and his legendary reputation makes him a King maker.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
It's that Metta and Roy effect.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject:

What I liked better than spaz Kobe on defense, was Kobe reading the offense and strategically switching with the other guards off the ball to minimize his running distance. Watch 6:56 of the third. Vet move there.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

Nah maybe Kobe brought the younger Kobe here with a time machine, explains why he didn't wear the arm sleeve anymore.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Have to agree with posters here

Kobe is still Kobe. Probably the best player to ever play the game. He is old now but still crafty, clutch, and intense. If only the rookies can play half as hard.

Can't play three rookies to start. Randle cannot shoot the side of a barn yet. Clarkson can't pass.

Hibbert and MWP defense will make a world of distance. Big time just by effort alone.

Would like to see Scott coach more. Get on a guy with a bad shot or poor defense.

Get rid of Sacre. Can't have him the face of the Lakers.
Young chucks too much. He is a ball stopper. Same with Lou but he can
pass.
J. Brown is a ball stopper.

The tanking mentality will take awhile to break, it seems to be in Scott.
He has to break it and get tougher. And smarter.
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

His foot speed was noticeably slow on the defensive end, but he was really giving it his all last night, appreciate it while you still can.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
His foot speed was noticeably slow on the defensive end, but he was really giving it his all last night, appreciate it while you still can.

He'll get burned numerous times with his gambling, I appreciate the effort but it was annoying to see at times.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject:

Looks like Kobe got sick of Hayward being the best player on the floor last game and decided to re-apply for the position.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

Thought Kobe was pretty bad defensively. Was getting beat by everyone.

Here's one thing though that I noted in the GD thread. He shouldn't be gambling for steals. Now, Kobe's always done that and loves to play the "free safety" defensive philosophy, but, I noticed that one thing that is vastly different now apparently, is that he can't stop.

Once he lunges for that steal, he can't stop his momentum. Maybe it's the achilles, age, or some combo of both, but once he goes for it, if he misses, he's either going to crash in to the guy (happened one time last night), or he's going to blow right past the player.

When he was younger, he could lunge and recover on a miss. He doesn't seem to be able to do that. Thus, don't do it. Just backup off your guy a little and stay in front as much as possible.
LakersFanESS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

In the starting line-up Kobe is now the defensive stopper. It was nice to see him give so much effort on defense and not have to carry the offense. It will be a fun year..
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

I think some of it is that he wants the younger players to match his activity level. If they see him going balls out there's no reason they can't do the same
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject:

He is older so seeing him be aggressive is better than seeing him disappear. I cannot imagine why anyone would point out that he is bad on defense, aggressive play is better than just slow or no defense.

And he starts to show some defense aggression and gets called out on it. This is going to be a long long long long long long long season if people are going to dissect his playing with a microscope.
This Laker Organization has not yet hit bottom. It is moving there quickly, and I suspect this year we will see zero talent coming to the Lakers and we will trade away Kuz and BI for old vets in the hopes of giving LeBronze some scapegoats.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject:

LAL4K3RS wrote:
He is older so seeing him be aggressive is better than seeing him disappear. I cannot imagine why anyone would point out that he is bad on defense, aggressive play is better than just slow or no defense.

And he starts to show some defense aggression and gets called out on it. This is going to be a long long long long long long long season if people are going to dissect his playing with a microscope.

I disagree. I'd prefer to see him play more of a funneling type defense than gamble for steals. He just doesn't have the ability to recover like he used to. So in most cases, he will either run right in to the guy, or, blow right past the guy leaving the rest of the team in a 5 on 4 situation.

I'd rather he back off and funnel the player so at least if the guy gets past him, he's in a position to provide help. Why would we ever WANT Kobe to be beyond the 3pt line while the player he is defending is inside the arc? That isn't helpful to anyone.
Laker415.
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Kobe at this age will get burned a lot. Especially, in fast breaks. However, still a bit of craft left on post defense.

Still, all 4 potential starts are bad defensively, which is the big problem for us as a team.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

He played good defense last night.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
golaker wrote:

He'll get burned numerous times with his gambling, I appreciate the effort but it was annoying to see at times.

+1. It was really irritating to watch him gamble and put his teammates in those scrambling situations. Every time he gambled and lost the defense became skittish because they're trying to cover for him.

Lets put it this way. If he were any one else, especially a rookie, everybody would be correcting him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: