The Back up Center position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
24 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
When Scott doesn't play Kelly at SF he's impressed me so far. I'd take him over Sacre all day.

I kept going back to the season with MDA. Kelly has game as a big.

He def has some game. It will be interesting to see which players make the roster. The only two that should be in concrete is upshaw and sacre swap. I think sacre has over stayed his welcome in Los Angeles

I support cutting Sacre because we have better fits and upside guys, but at the same time, I don't think he overstayed. I think he did his job at a time when it didn't really matter much who the deep bench was.

the frustrating thing is overplaying nick and sacre, when we could have been assessing holmes and upshaw

I'm told that everyone is going to get some extended run over the first few games, so I'm sure we will see them soon.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
Scott needs to stop (bleep) around and give Sacre's preseason minutes to Upshaw. There's way more potential with Upshaw. Sacre is the worst player in the league with Ryan Kelly coming in 2nd.

I would guess that Upshaw would have to earn those minutes. I think the team is looking at him as more of a developmental player than someone ready to contribute anytime soon. I would guess he sees time in the developmental league.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:
Scott needs to stop (bleep) around and give Sacre's preseason minutes to Upshaw. There's way more potential with Upshaw. Sacre is the worst player in the league with Ryan Kelly coming in 2nd.

I would guess that Upshaw would have to earn those minutes. I think the team is looking at him as more of a developmental player than someone ready to contribute anytime soon. I would guess he sees time in the developmental league.

Black should be getting all the backup C mins IMO

Hibbert (30)/ Black (18)/ Upshaw
Randle (30)/ Bass (18) /Kelly

Sacre should never see a second again. At least Kelly can be useful to come in and shoot the ball.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KG24 wrote:
Cut Black, Sacre... useless.
Pick up a vet center that can play 15 to 20 minutes a night.

Like whom?

Kwame? Chris Mihm?
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: I have to agree with posters

If Sacre is best you got at backup center no wonder the Lakers tanked.
He has a good attitude but is very limited.

But it seems that Upshaw has a much bigger upside. Black can hold the backup
until Upshaw develops which may be awhile. But does have that upside.

And watching Young play he seems to be a chuckster. Just throws up long shots and doesn't play team ball. He can shoot when hot.
But is he a team player? Same J. Brown.
This team needs team players. Lou and Young throwing up long jumpers is
bad news for the Lakers. More 4-14?
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I have to agree with posters

laker50 wrote:

And watching Young play he seems to be a chuckster. Just throws up long shots and doesn't play team ball. He can shoot when hot.

Well they learned from the king ball hog himself who wears #24.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

In which another team could instantly scoop him up, right?
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Exactly...Upshaw has to make the team or some one will steal him away. Once they have Upshaw locked up they can take their sweet time developing him.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Lakers idea is that Upshaw is going to be strictly developmental this year, prove that his head is on straight, stays drug and trouble free, and show he is an adult now, not a reefer smoking kid.

I think the backup center is going to be a small ball center, so that is why they are looking at Bass, who has further skills than Black does, if Black didn't develop a 15 foot jump shot and steady FT shooting this summer, that is his bad.

So I think they should let Sacre go. Kelly, if he is improved, might stay, just because he is an outside threat, something Randle is not (yet).

It's money time, and there are lots of intangibles that go into making a basketball player BUTTTTTTTTT not being able to SHOOT the basketball level at NBA skill level for your position may cause some good athletes to get beat out by other less skilled players who can shoot.

It's preseason, can you outshoot your Laker competition at 15, 20, 23 feet from the basket? How bad do you want a spot on the Lakers?
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

He could still be playing in the D-League while on the Lakers roster.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

He could still be playing in the D-League while on the Lakers roster.

Yes, but they would have to use a roster spot on him. In that case he's probably better off traveling and working out with the team.
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:

I was hoping Kelly wouldn't get out of this unscathed. Fine work son.
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I have to agree with posters

[quote="fontana3d"]
laker50 wrote:

Well they learned from the king ball hog himself who wears #24.[/quote

Really ?
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Not if he is on our roster.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I have to agree with posters

[quote="evetssteve10"]
fontana3d wrote:
laker50 wrote:

Well they learned from the king ball hog himself who wears #24.[/quote

Really ?

Yeah really monkey see, monkey do. So if the Lakers want to make it to the playoffs Kobe cannot shoot more than 20 times a game, and Nick and Lou can not shoot more than 10 times a game each.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
KG24 wrote:

Like whom?

Kwame? Chris Mihm?

Let's not lump Mihm in with Kwame. Mihm was really coming into his own before the injuries really derailed him. I'd love to have a pre-injury Mihm on this team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

KG24 wrote:

Veteran centers who can play 15-20 minutes a game aren't just standing around and they don't come cheap. You're not going to find a veteran center better than Black or Sacre unless you trade for him.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
please cut Sacre

The Lakers should be able to get a draft pick (probably 2nd round) for him considering that he's a reasonably good backup center that no doubt several teams could most definitely use.

I think the Lakers will want to get an idea on how much Upshaw can really contribute in the near term before they go this route however.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

Could the Pelicans be interested in Sacre now that Asik is injured?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It might be the main position battle left for the Lakers: Which two centers will be kept to back up HIbbert?

Tarik Black showed some spring in his game last season but is undersized for the position at 6 feet 9. Robert Sacre is a fun presence in the locker room but his offense lags his defense. Undrafted free agent Robert Upshaw has blocked a lot of shots in practice and, like Sacre, needs work on offense.

Only two of the three will stay.

Lakers fans are intrigued by the raw talent of Upshaw even though he didn't play in either exhibition. The next one is Thursday against Toronto in Ontario, Calif.

"He's just go to wait his turn," Scott said. "I've got so many bodies and I don't want to give guys a two- or three-minute look. I don't think that does them any good. I want to see them play extended minutes and that could be anywhere from eight to 15."

Scott wants improved post play and a better mid-range jumper from Black, along with something else.

"The biggest thing I told him last year is that he's just too nice," Scott said. "He's got to get some type of mean streak in him. If he does, then he could be a monster."

Sacre has the most experience and only fully guaranteed contract of the group, though the Lakers would eat his $981,000 salary if the other two centers were more impressive this month, according to a person familiar with the situation.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-jordan-clarkson-20151008-story.html
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

Sacre is the definition of "serviceable" (like a baseball reliever who can "give you innings") , and these guys do tend to find gigs as long they're able to stand upright.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
please cut Sacre

The Lakers should be able to get a draft pick (probably 2nd round) for him considering that he's a reasonably good backup center that no doubt several teams could most definitely use.

I think the Lakers will want to get an idea on how much Upshaw can really contribute in the near term before they go this route however.

The Lakers tried to trade him for months and not a single team wanted him. You expect someone to be interested in him after a couple of games in preseason? Plus everyone knows we have to make some cuts so we have no leverage. Just think man.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Sacre plays like an undersized center out there, Black is the better rebounder and holds his position better on the defensive side. Upshaw is the guy that obviously has the lottery talent tools, I really want to see what this kid has with his better conditioning.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Sacre is the definition of "serviceable" (like a baseball reliever who can "give you innings") , and these guys do tend to find gigs as long they're able to stand upright.

It'll have to be on another team. He's size, but he doesn't show any signs of using it right. No matter if he has experience, Bass playing out of position offers a better alternative. They also have so many PF's that Bass getting burn in the middle actually solves two problems. Especially with Kelly offering a better defender than Sacre and being able to extend the court some.

Getting extended D-league minutes could aid Nance's development, but at the same time what he currently offers could push for backup minutes at the 4. If Upshaw shows anything, it's worth eating the million dollars to redshirt him in place of messing with Sacre for another year.
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

It would seem logical that Scott would get a look at Sacre in the first 2 preseason games since he is the most experienced, then Black in the next 2 preseason games and then Upshaw in the last two preseason games to give him as much time as possible to develop in training camp.

Ultimately I think the Lakers trade Sacre to a team who is thin at the Center position. I am thinking the Clippers might be a good landing spot. They have only Cole Aldrich at backup center and Sacre is definitely better than him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: