Matt Barnes Confronts Derek Fisher For Dating Ex-Wife
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

If that's what really took place then I can't wait for the day when Barnes gets his ass kicked. Actually, even if it didn't happen like that I can't wait for the day he gets his ass kicked. Spitting on people is a serious offense, punishable by losing limbs where I come from.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

h2omike wrote:
Matt Barnes = OJ 2.0?

Let's hope not.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

This whole story has been ridiculous from beginning to end and top to bottom.

From the cro-magnons who think they get to dictate who their exes date to the idiots who think that violence is appropriate because of some self-imposed and asinine "man code".
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Yahoo Sports reports that Barnes gets a two game suspension for this. I guess the league had to do something to preserve consistency, but two games strikes me as harsh.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't think the NBA is going to like these comments...

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/11/09/matt-barnes-derek-fisher-shouldve-handled-it-like-grown-men-but-he-wanted-to-run-and-tell-the-cops-nba/

Quote:
Matt Barnes: Derek Fisher and I should’ve handled it like grown men, ‘but he wanted to run and tell the cops & NBA’

Matt Barnes reportedly attacked Derek Fisher, who’s dating Barnes estranged wife, Gloria Govan. Barnes then reportedly texted a friend to brag about beating up the Knicks coach and spitting in Govan’s face.

Both reports were written by the New York Post.

How does Barnes, a Grizzlies forward, view the incident now?

Ben Bolch of the Los Angeles Times:

There are a few problems here:

1. It became impossible for Barnes and Fisher to handle this issue like grown men when Barnes allegedly drove the house and fought Fisher.

2. If Barnes attacked Fisher, reporting a crime isn’t problematic.

3. The NBA reportedly didn’t know about the incident until a few days later. If he told on Barnes to the league, Fisher didn’t do a good job of it.

Fisher might not have handled this well. Dating a friend‘s ex is messy, and maybe Fisher could have done more to handle it like a grown man initially.

But there has been no evidence to justify the violence allegedly levied against Fisher and Govan.

Wow, Barnes is a flat-out idiot.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

It's very difficult for women to not be attracted to Fisher's cute little bubble butt booty.

He must work out.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Were there any criminal charges? How could the NBA suspend him on a he said/she said?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Barnes deserves it. Apparently he doesn't know what the term "ex" means. He needs to take his cape off and grow a pair. And props to D. Fish for not knocking his block off!
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Were there any criminal charges? How could the NBA suspend him on a he said/she said?

Good question. I would definitely appeal if i was him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

The NBA spent almost three months investigating what happened before levying a penalty, so I suspect they know more/have more evidence than was in the news reports. They probably talked to the people at the party, and might have other information, so I doubt they relied solely on what Fisher and Barnes told them. I also doubt they will make the details of their investigation results public.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

What is the "he said/she said"? Barnes didn't deny that he went to his ex's house to confront Fisher. He offered a lame excuse for why he went there, but he didn't deny that he did it.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject:

I always kinda felt dirty when Matt Barnes was on our team. Like he was a fake tough guy. I'm sure he's plenty tough an all, but true tough guys don't go out of there way to demonstrate how tough they are.

I dare say - Matt Barnes is a punk. And his shooting form sucks.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

What is the "he said/she said"? Barnes didn't deny that he went to his ex's house to confront Fisher. He offered a lame excuse for why he went there, but he didn't deny that he did it.

Yeah, I know he didn't deny he confronted Fisher, but I don't remember him saying he attacked DFish. Therefore, why would the NBA suspend him because he confronted someone.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Yes, we would need to know what the evidence was. There would have been witnesses. We don't know whether there was a dispute about what happened.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

It is easy when Barnes is the one saying.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In his post, Barnes writes that he was "stuck in the 'triangle offense' w my ex & snitch, I mean former teammate & friend. Who went behind my back, messed w my ex, got caught, got dealt w for being a snake, then ran & told the Police & NBA. Instead of taken that a-- whoopin like a man & kept it moving....! WHERE THEY DO THAT AT? Guess cause I didn't SNITCH, I get a 2 game suspension by the league 'They call that LIFE.'"

So much for "he said, she said."
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject:

I can understand that Matt Barnes is mad at D. Fish, but him dragging it out just makes his own public image look worst.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
In his post, Barnes writes that he was "stuck in the 'triangle offense' w my ex & snitch, I mean former teammate & friend. Who went behind my back, messed w my ex, got caught, got dealt w for being a snake, then ran & told the Police & NBA. Instead of taken that a-- whoopin like a man & kept it moving....! WHERE THEY DO THAT AT? Guess cause I didn't SNITCH, I get a 2 game suspension by the league 'They call that LIFE.'"

So much for "he said, she said."

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around just how stupid Matt Barnes is.

It seems like basketball and "keeping it real" are of about equal importance to him. He's a millionaire with everything going for him and he can't let go of his prison mentality.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Some insight into Barnes' upbringing and attitude:

Daloyalfan16
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Thanks for posting that! Really interesting insight into what he went through growing up.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

I've never been to Sacramento, but I'm almost positive it has nothing on South Central, Compton, Inglewood or Watts during the 1980's....which is what I grew up in. There's no excuse for stupid. He managed to become a professional athlete, and has completely abandoned the "Professional" part of that. I'm sure he doesn't live in the "Hood" now, and hasn't for many, many years...so acting like he still does is nothing but ignorant!
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

Yeah that's super heavy. Wouldn't associate that environment with a place like Sacramento. Queeners were always telling us how amazing their city was back in the day.

In any case, I wonder why Barnes would still embrace all that BS that he worked so hard to get away from. I mean, getting suspended from the NBA because he had to uphold some sort of stupid man code? Isn't he above that now?

Kinda pathetic.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

I've never been to Sacramento, but I'm almost positive it has nothing on South Central, Compton, Inglewood or Watts during the 1980's....which is what I grew up in. There's no excuse for stupid. He managed to become a professional athlete, and has completely abandoned the "Professional" part of that. I'm sure he doesn't live in the "Hood" now, and hasn't for many, many years...so acting like he still does is nothing but ignorant!

It's just sad. He's so caught up in constantly reminding everyone that he's "really from the streets" that he lets it affect his current life in a negative way. Just pointless.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Kind of forgot about all of this until I read it wow this is the first game fortunately for them less talk will be about this by the media and more on the NFL games.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/13/report-players-union-files-grievance-for-matt-barnes-due-to-suspension/

Quote:

Report: Players’ Union files grievance for Matt Barnes due to suspension

Matt Barnes was suspended two games by the NBA for a ridiculous altercation with Knicks’ coach Derek Fisher back during training camp at the home of Barnes’ estranged wife. Consider it a time out for childish behavior.

That’s not how Barnes saw it — he said Fisher should have handled it like a man and ranted about it on Instagram — and now, on his behalf, the NBA players union has filed a grievance, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.

“The National Basketball Players Association has filed a grievance on behalf of Memphis Grizzlies forward Matt Barnes to get his two-game suspension without pay rescinded, league sources told Yahoo Sports….

Barnes served a two-game suspension in late December, but NBPA executive director Michele Roberts is appealing to an arbitrator to spare Barnes the loss of $64,000 in salary, sources said.”

The NBA has a history of suspending guys for embarrassing or illegal off-the-court activities. By all accounts — including Barnes’ texts — he was the aggressor. However, no criminal charges were filed over the incident.

The Knicks travel to Memphis to take on the Grizzlies Saturday night. Barnes sat out the first meeting between the teams.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Still no criminal charges, so why is he being suspended?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: