Contested Jumpers (Why Does Swaggy P Take Them)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Contested Jumpers (Why Does Swaggy P Take Them)

Highest % of Jumpers Contested (2014-2015 Season)
According to Sports News

Player: Black Mamba
Contested: 369
Total: 535
Contested %: 69%

Player: Swaggy P
Contested: 272
Total: 402
Contested %: 68%

Player: DWade
Contested: 380
Total: 610
Contested %: 64%

Player: Derozan
Contested: 409
Total: 665
Contested %: 62%

Player: Neal
Contested: 226
Total: 397
Contested %: 57%

Lou Williams is ranked in the Top 20

League Average: Contested jumpers yields 10% less in effectiveness

Even with Bryant and Swaggy P each missing a minimum of 40 games, Lakers had the most contested shots by a wide margin. Most of their contested jumpers were mid-range shots (worst spot on the floor) resulting being a Bottom 5 team in shooting for the first time in 20 years and on the floor ranked 23rd in shooting efficiency (worst in franchise history)

-

With Swaggy P inefficient at shooting contested shots, is it because he doesn't have the ability to break down most defenders?

The Black Mamba has long proven that he is one of the best "Bad Shot" shooter in the NBA.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

One of the reasons some of the guys are on that list is that they look for contact and fouls. Lou Williams is a great example of this.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Swaggy uses his signature move 70% of the time and it requires him dribble too much. Also he rarely drives to the rim. He's a streaky volume shooter.

Kobe can be a ball-stopper too but historically he is probably the best "Bad Shot" maker in the NBA.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Surprised Lance Stephenson isn't up there.

I think Swaggy mostly takes them simply because he thinks they look cool.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Because he is perhaps the dumbest player in the league. He has the worst shot selection I have ever seen and is the one person keeping me from rooting for the Lakers with all my heart.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I was trying to be nice but you guys are probably closer to the truth of the matter.
greenfrog wrote:

The Silhouette wrote:
Because he is perhaps the dumbest player in the league. He has the worst shot selection I have ever seen and is the one person keeping me from rooting for the Lakers with all my heart.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Because when the iso doesn't work his attempt to fix it is to iso harder.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Kobe took the highest amount of contested jumpers despite also missing about 40 games. Right now I think it comes down to coaches. Byron Scott needs to not encourage taking the mid range jump shot it is just not efficient. We also need to find a way to space the floor and take good shots attack the basket, make the extra pass and get a good open 3. That's what every other team does except for Memphis but Memphis has got the personel to play a certain way that we don't. I don't blame swaggy he can be a good 3 point shooter and can knock down open looks it's up to the coach to run plays for him that will get him open looks.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject:

A stupid is what stupid does

Doesnt even drive to the hole just jacks up
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

It's because he doesn't have the footspeed to drive past his opponent, plain, simple, end of story.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
It's because he doesn't have the footspeed to drive past his opponent, plain, simple, end of story.

He also doesn't participate in the offense enough to get open. He waves off directions and stand behind the 3 point line waiting to get a chance to shoot a contested jumper.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

The Silhouette wrote:

That sounds about right...
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I was trying to be nice but you guys are probably closer to the truth of the matter.
greenfrog wrote:

The Silhouette wrote:

Sadly, I think he has shown the ability to get to the rim and hes able to hit open shots within the offense; however he enjoys taking bad shots to this dumb decision making and unnecessary bravado. The question should be: why is he still on the team?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

The Silhouette wrote:
These comments echo my views.

The Black Mamba is just much better than Swaggy and does many other things provide him the privilege and right to take contested shots.

Swaggy's track record has proven that at 30 years old, he is a good 6th-7th man that can take the critical shots - sometime, if there are no excellent defenders on the floor and the defensive team is not of the highest caliber.

Lou Williams is a better choice because he is a triple threat - shoot, pass or drive
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

there's a strong bias against these kind of players here, i don't really agree. i find it unfortunate that they get labeled as selfish or chuckers. he shoots these shots because he's a better shooter than the rest of the team, so he has to confidence to make them.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Even with Bryant and Swaggy P each missing a minimum of 40 games, Lakers had the most contested shots by a wide margin. Most of their contested jumpers were mid-range shots (worst spot on the floor) resulting being a Bottom 5 team in shooting for the first time in 20 years and on the floor ranked 23rd in shooting efficiency (worst in franchise history)

A lot to do with the offense that they run.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
pio2u wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

The Silhouette wrote:

Sadly, I think he has shown the ability to get to the rim and hes able to hit open shots within the offense; however he enjoys taking bad shots to this dumb decision making and unnecessary bravado. The question should be: why is he still on the team?

Well that's easy: nobody else wants him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

To be fair, I'd be curious to see where they ranked in contested shots before Byron.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Are these bailout shots because our offense is so putrid? Give it to the creators in the last 5 seconds so they can launch it up.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:
it should be noted that BScott's system worked great for CP3 and JKidd. It also provided some great sequences for The Black Mamba

Swaggy P just doesn't seem to produce consistently during crunch time because
• Everybody knows that he will not pass the ball
• He is not quick enough to split double teams to get easier jump shots
• He is not drive to the hole for layups
• He is not a "catch-and-shoot" player, hence there is a lot of time to get him doubleteam/tripleteamed
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Kobe took the highest amount of contested jumpers despite also missing about 40 games. Right now I think it comes down to coaches. Byron Scott needs to not encourage taking the mid range jump shot it is just not efficient. We also need to find a way to space the floor and take good shots attack the basket, make the extra pass and get a good open 3. That's what every other team does except for Memphis but Memphis has got the personel to play a certain way that we don't. I don't blame swaggy he can be a good 3 point shooter and can knock down open looks it's up to the coach to run plays for him that will get him open looks.

No he didn't.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

He's a ball hog who does what ball hogs do. Stand around when he doesn't have the ball, play no defense and dribble too much and chuck bad shots when he does.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Nick wants to be like his idol, Kobe.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

No he didn't.

Look again, according to those stats he ranked number 1 in contested shots taken

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
markjay wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

No he didn't.

Look again, according to those stats he ranked number 1 in contested shots taken

Those rankings are by percentage.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: