Kobe needs to start at the 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject:

Kobe needs to start off to the side there at the 3 so the young guys can build chemistry. Love ya Kob'
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
I wouldn't be making roster decisions based on unit performances against Maccabi.

THIS ^^

70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject:

English is a funny language.

"Kobe needs to start at the 2."

I don't care what Kobe needs.

The team needs him wherever the overall combination with other players makes the strongest overall rotation. We don't have that answer yet.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Russell and Clarkson is the future. I appreciate everything Kobe has done for the Lakers but the less ball handling and shooting he does the better it'll be for this team. There's still too much Kobe iso and I don't like it. He needs to pass the torch to Randle and play a role like Pierce did with the Wizards. Kobe should be the 4th option on this team but he's still acting as if he's the 1st. That needs to change.

How? How is he acting like this?

WTF...
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

kobe will be too much of a liability on defense at the 2, he will be better served guarding small forwards
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I think Russell should come off the bench definitely for the first few games. If he earns the spot he can start.

Clarkson at the 1 and Kobe at the 2
or if Huertas is any good Clarkson at the 2 and Kobe at the 3

Russell is definitely showing that he can earn that starting spot one day though!

Your thoughts make ZERO sense. Our #2 pick has to "EARN" it. While "if Huertas is any good," he gets the start. LOL! How do we determine that, by word of mouth?

I think Russell is pretty good, and so does the Lakers who took him #2, and so does Byron who has started him from day one. The youth movement is here to stay. The kids need to be thrown in the fire. Any fans with delusions that we're a great ball club where we can bring Russell on slowly has to wake up. The road back begins with Russell, Clarkson and Randle, and it has begun.

Yes, yes and yes.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

I hate threads like this where the OP makes some one sentence proclamation that they don't come back to support in any way.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Russell and Clarkson is the future. I appreciate everything Kobe has done for the Lakers but the less ball handling and shooting he does the better it'll be for this team. There's still too much Kobe iso and I don't like it. He needs to pass the torch to Randle and play a role like Pierce did with the Wizards. Kobe should be the 4th option on this team but he's still acting as if he's the 1st. That needs to change.

How? How is he acting like this?

what the heck...

Completely unfounded statement especially when you consider that his usage has been low, and his FGAs are more or less equal to the number of shots than JC and JR are getting.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Kobe isn't Pierce, Pierce was never Kobe. Poor comparison, and Kobe is fine as the first option when he is in the game. Which I would like to see for 7 minutes per quarter.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Kobe isn't Pierce, Pierce was never Kobe. Poor comparison, and Kobe is fine as the first option when he is in the game. Which I would like to see for 7 minutes per quarter.

Hopefully not from the post because Kobe in the post so far has been a disaster, he's been more effective playing off ball, spreading the floor catching and shooting.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

I only can recall him taking one bad shot last night, and that was his signature heat check with two guys draped all over him. The old man Pierce comparison, at least so far, is not that far off.

Last edited by greenfrog on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Hopefully not from the post because Kobe in the post so far has been a disaster, he's been more effective playing off ball, spreading the floor catching and shooting.

Kobe today is still one of best players in post he just needs to make quicker decisions and not hold onto to ball going isolation 1 on 1 basketball move the ball.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Kobe today is still one of best players in post he just needs to make quicker decisions and not hold onto to ball going isolation 1 on 1 basketball move the ball.

I haven't watched every single minute of preseason, but I think Kobe has looked fine in the post. As far as I'm concerned, Kobe needs to limit his game to post-ups, catch-and-shoots and the occasional fast break and iso.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I hate threads like this where the OP makes some one sentence proclamation that they don't come back to support in any way.

That's why everyone should respond with "NOPE"
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

Kobe at the 2 means he has to do more work, handling the ball plus scoring. When Clarkson plays point he has to look for his shot a lot less and get others involved. When Russell starts and Clarkson starts at the 2, he has the green light to be a lot more aggressive, not to mention his athleticism (and ever expanding IQ) makes a world of difference on both ends. That starting lineup looked pretty good tonight, but a starting lineup of Hibbert, Tarik Black, Upshaw, Kelly, and World Peace would've looked good against Maccabi. Don't get me wrong, that isn't to say that no good conclusions can be drawn from that lineup at all just because they were playing against inferior competition, but why make the drastic leap of a starting lineup change? Why can't it be something for the coaching staff to consider for a short stretch during a game? Those can work too, ya know? lol.

The only post comparable to this was the guy (forget the name) who proudly asserted after the first preseason game that Randle is a bust...lol. You'd think people would learn their lesson by now, even from just observing that kind of silliness from others. However, if they did, internet basketball forums probably wouldn't exist.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Kobe at the 3 has been very good so far. He's benefiting from the playmaking abilities of Russell, Randle, and Clarkson and doesn't have to do as much work. There is no reason to put one of our best players in Dlo or Clarkson on the bench to move Kobe back to the 2 spot.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

Kobe needs to play at whatever position/role is best suited for DLo, Clarkson, and Randle.

Right now, to me, that is off the ball at the 3.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

Kobe at the 3 has worked very well so far this preseason, and Kobe is showing dimensions to his game few analysts and non-Laker fans give him credit for. He's actually a very smart passer with a very high level of intelligence, which makes him effective at developing a 2 man game on given plays, and he's capable of doing so with several people depending on who's on the court. He takes the shot if the defense allows it, and dishes off quite well if it collapses on him. This is helping DLo, Clarkson and Randle develop, all the while allowing him to be a key part of this team without grinding his legs into the ground this time around.

Why screw that up?
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Car54 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:
I wouldn't be making roster decisions based on unit performances against Maccabi.

THIS ^^

Seriously... This x 1,000,000

It was an ISRAELI professional league basketball team, and don't give me that Memphis game garbage. Just because the Griz decided to pack it in and dream of after the game on Beale street doesn't mean they are any good. Maybe one of their players (that shot blocking dude) could make an NBA roster.

Honestly... I've liked BScotts rotation all preseason so far... except for that game. I frankly would have played only first years and second years for that game. Upshaw for example should have gotten 32 minutes. Larry Nance as well. As should have Brown.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Car54 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

THIS ^^

Seriously... This x 1,000,000

It was an ISRAELI professional league basketball team, and don't give me that Memphis game garbage. Just because the Griz decided to pack it in and dream of after the game on Beale street doesn't mean they are any good. Maybe one of their players (that shot blocking dude) could make an NBA roster.

Honestly... I've liked BScotts rotation all preseason so far... except for that game. I frankly would have played only first years and second years for that game. Upshaw for example should have gotten 32 minutes. Larry Nance as well. As should have Brown.

I understand your point, but getting guys reps in a game, even against a tomato can, is better than practice reps, and this team from top to bottom, including the starters, needs as many reps together as possible.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I bet the Maccabi team is better than the current 76ers team that's playing right now though.

Jesus that team is a mess.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Kobe at the 3 has worked very well so far this preseason....
Why screw that up?

They lost every game with Kobe playing 3.

Kobe has been starting his entire life as a 2 and the last season of his career you want to put him at 3? I'm not overacting. Who ever tells me Kobe is better at 3 is full of crap. Every player is younger and faster than him at this stage. He only has a greater chance getting injured playing against bigger stronger players his 20th season.

What the heck is everyone thinking? It's ridiculous trying to appease Clarkson or Russell. We got them locked in contract and either can wait a year. Neither are close to all stars right now. If Kobe goes down his last season playing 3 I blame both the coach and the GM.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Dondre wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Kobe at the 3 has worked very well so far this preseason....
Why screw that up?

They lost every game with Kobe playing 3.

Kobe has been starting his entire life as a 2 and the last season of his career you want to put him at 3? I'm not overacting. Who ever tells me Kobe is better at 3 is full of crap. Every player is younger and faster than him at this stage. He only has a greater chance getting injured playing against bigger stronger players his 20th season.

What the heck is everyone thinking? It's ridiculous trying to appease Clarkson or Russell. We got them locked in contract and either can wait a year. Neither are close to all stars right now. If Kobe goes down his last season playing 3 I blame both the coach and the GM.

> win a game against a non-nba team
> this will definitely work against an nba team

Next you'll tell me we can blow every team out by 50 with Kobe playing SG because we did it against Hafai.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I think Russell should come off the bench definitely for the first few games. If he earns the spot he can start.

Clarkson at the 1 and Kobe at the 2
or if Huertas is any good Clarkson at the 2 and Kobe at the 3

Russell is definitely showing that he can earn that starting spot one day though!

Your thoughts make ZERO sense. Our #2 pick has to "EARN" it. While "if Huertas is any good," he gets the start. LOL! How do we determine that, by word of mouth?

I think Russell is pretty good, and so does the Lakers who took him #2, and so does Byron who has started him from day one. The youth movement is here to stay. The kids need to be thrown in the fire. Any fans with delusions that we're a great ball club where we can bring Russell on slowly has to wake up. The road back begins with Russell, Clarkson and Randle, and it has begun.

Despite the fact that the Lakers rarely throw their young players in the fire?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't care about preseason games other than serving the purpose of establishing some chemistry and getting much needed PT for our young roster.

I agree that either Kobe or perhaps Lou need to start at the 2. But, for an entirely different reason. I think way too much pressure is being placed on Russell and see no reason not to have him running the 2nd unit to start the season. This has nothing to do with preseason reactions. The bad timing issues and other fundamental shortcomings will be exposed much worse in regular season matchups. Clarkson knows what to expect and has proven he's up to the task. So, given him being a known commodity, why force the issue? Makes no sense to me.

Everyone always wants instant gratification. Some guy named Kobe had to come off the bench during his rookie year. Pretty sure he turned out alright.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: