View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

TheLakerWay wrote:
I'm not worried about Russell.

I'm very worried about Byron.

You're not only one Byron is awful head coach.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I don't have the patience to sift through all of this stuff and see what's been said about Russell, but it's completely unwarranted to single him out about ANYTHING tonight. The entire team played like they were in a mental funk from the very start. That's why the game was so boring. No one was into it. Zero effort on both ends. For whatever reason there was zero focus from the entire group. I don't know how anyone could possibly watch that entire game and make an easy target out of Russell. If anything he may have had the strongest game overall on the stat sheet. Bass and Kelly weren't even trying to rebound and Russell actually started to do it FOR them. Point is, something was just completely off about this team mentally tonight. The vibe just wasn't there from the beginning.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
1020 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
lol Russell posts 11/7/3 in 20 minutes and you guys are bagging him? That's not just dumb, that's pure stupidity.

This game was lost due to Byron Scott being a complete utter moron with rotations and defensive sets. Russell was hardly playing until the 4th quarter, and doesn't even play him with the starters in tonight's game.

People here that are bagging on Russell are being fools right now. Never seen so much hate for a rookie by their own fan base. Just disgusting.

Not trying to start anything but if you noticed, his detractors are the one who wanted Okafor.

greatest big man of all time.

"greatest FINESSE big man of all time" That dude HATES to bang.

"We passed up on Tim Duncan 2.0!!! "
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

Our starting backcourt combined for one assist in indicative of the type of game they played tonight and two certain other players on our bench had the exact same issue.

Worthy42 wrote:
Our 'bigs' are a step slow to react. They're just flat out getting beat to rebounds.

And sometimes they just watch. It really feels like this team just doesn't pay attention on defense.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

ringfinger wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
Kobe Bryant was a -13 out there on the floor just awful!

Kobe didn't play very long due to injury but yeah he wasn't that good tonight.

Lots of iso. Unlike the first few games.

Yup Kobe needs to stop trying go one on one so much stop the isolation.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

lol at posters deflecting... this is a game thread, not an Okafor thread.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The only things I took away from this game was;

1. need to improve that perimeter defense. its just awful at this point.

2. defensive rotations are not crisp or evident at all.

3. defensive rebounding. the kings have athletic bigs but our front court needs to battle and go for the boards with more urgency.

4. offensively ball needs to move. too many iso one on ones and ball sticking for bad shots (nick/lou).

5. bigs need to set better picks in the half court set and roll with more purpose. just lazy out there on the night.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

There are a lot of players and coaching decisions to complain about in this game, I find it ridiculous to carp on Russell when you've got Byron insisting all game long that Bass is a small ball center while it works miserably and Upshaw sits on the bench, you've got Kobe reverting to iso ball Kobe and unable to make up for his misses on defense, Nick getting incredibly selfish and Williams following in his footsteps, no organized offense just a streetball setup from Byron Scott, no further looking at Nance or seeing if Black could be more energetic out there than Bass at C, but yeah DeAngelo Russell came in with the game out of hand and somehow blew it.

Kinda weird how that works...
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

This is a motion offense, meaning every player on the floor needs to know how to read the defense. If one guy decides to play hero ball (Lou) then guys just stand around and watch.

To me it looks like Russell is just out there thinking too much. He's trying to read things while everyone else is just playing on instinct. That's normal for rookies.

Once the game was almost over you could see the switch flip, as if he said "eff this I'm lettin it fly", and the shots went down effortlessly. I'm glad he ended the game on that note. The kid's just trying to make the right play every possession down and he's overthinking it. He's going to be fine.

Last edited by Ziggy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

C'mon guys posters should be able to post their concerns without us being overly defensive. I think the worries about Russell's game is legit. I'm not calling him a bust, and I damn sure don't want Okafor but aren't you guys seeing what we're seeing? It doesn't mean you should get upset, constructive criticism is good.

Russell grabbed 7 rebounds, I'd like to see him push the ball off those boards and try to get to the rack. I'd like to see him come off screens and shoot the ball with no hesitation. I'd like to see him try to break down the defense with dribble moves and penetration, I'd like to see him be more aggressive offensively and defensively, the team needs more energy from him, I think they'll feed off it. Those are areas of his game he should work on. He definitely didn't look like a starting point guard out there, I don't think he will be starting anytime soon
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Our starting backcourt combined for one assist in indicative of the type of game they played tonight and two certain other players on our bench had the exact same issue.

Worthy42 wrote:
Our 'bigs' are a step slow to react. They're just flat out getting beat to rebounds.

And sometimes they just watch. It really feels like this team just doesn't pay attention on defense.

Yup. There's no reason our front court shouldn't be able to control the boards.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Worthy42 wrote:

Yup, hence why DLo and Clarkson backcourt, with Kobe sliding to the 3 is much better for this team.....but wait, shouldn't Anthony freaking Brown start at the 3 though because he is the second coming of Bruce freaking Bowen?? Again SMH!

JC is NOT a pass-first PG. DLo is. KObe can't defend fast 1's or 2's anymore and is better-suited to the 3 spot all-round right about now. Some fans are just so reactionary to every little thing. The season hasn't even started yet FFS
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
C'mon guys posters should be able to post their concerns without us being overly defensive. I think the worries about Russell's game is legit. I'm not calling him a bust, and I damn sure don't want Okafor but aren't you guys seeing what we're seeing? It doesn't mean you should get upset, constructive criticism is good.

Russell grabbed 7 rebounds, I'd like to see him push the ball off those boards and try to get to the rack. I'd like to see him come off screens and shoot the ball with no hesitation. I'd like to see him try to break down the defense with dribble moves and penetration, I'd like to see him be more aggressive offensively and defensively, the team needs more energy from him, I think they'll feed off it. Those are areas of his game he should work on. He definitely didn't look like a starting point guard out there, I don't think he will be starting anytime soon

This is understandable. I think you want to see him doing seasoned veteran things. He's out there doing the 'i wanna listen to coach and do the right thing, play the right way, and not make mistakes' rookie mode.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

fyi Kobe's fine. Sat out just as a precaution. Gonna play Saturday unless they decide to rest him.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

BigBoi wrote:

I'd actually prefer to see Russell start because he would actually attempt to move the ball. Also, its not like people are ignoring the things he needs to work on, but there's a difference between constructive criticism and some of the comments people are making.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
lol at posters deflecting... this is a game thread, not an Okafor thread.

Except no is deflecting.

We're saying the criticisms toward Russell are unwarranted and make zero sense.

At best, they are knee jerk reactions based on a very small sample size of play.

I'd like to see him get a full season or two under his belt before making broad claims about his game.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

Agreed on everything.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Why no Black, Sacre or Upshaw though? Is BScott going to cut all 3 ffs?

I don't really see Brandon Bass playing back-up C all the time. Neither he or Kelly are really bangers. I know people hate on Tarik Black for his Defense, but the dude just hustles the whole time and is not afraid to put a body on someone
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject:

SlowAngelo Russell
lounger
Star Player
Star Player

Ssssshhhhhh... don't worry guys.... Worthy said that Byron Scott preaches defense.....

Yong
Star Player
Star Player

Rivershow wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

Agreed on everything.

honestly, he sucked out there tonight. its shocking to observe that rondo was probably a better shooter than him out there today

stanimal, winslow, hezonja and porzingod are looking better than him right now.

and we were 1 pick away from KAT ... :'(
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

More Kelly and Bass. That will improve our defense and offense
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

It was pretty clear what was going on- Russell running the offense, expecting others to do the same. After chucks, chucks and more chucks, he decided screw this, I'll just get some 3's. Not much you can read from that other than looks like someone is asleep at the helm.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Ways for the Lakers to win.

1. Run more P&R with Randle, Clarkson, and Russell

2. Less Iso Kobe, only spot up shots. When he iso the ball stops, needs to pass the torch.

3. Defensive rotations have to get better.

4. If Randle and Clarkson aren't leading the team and shot attempts that's a problem. Both are efficient, need more touches.

5. Lou and Young can't be on the court together for long periods of time. One chucker is enough but two is just taking shot attempts away from the young trio.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

Agreed on everything.

honestly, he sucked out there tonight. its shocking to observe that rondo was probably a better shooter than him out there today

stanimal, winslow, hezonja and porzingod are looking better than him right now.

and we were 1 pick away from KAT ... :'(

Rondo was getting wide open shots.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37
Jump to: