Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

Lol these insults people calling Russell slow are in for rude awakening in couple of years.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

Lol, this guy has an old man's game, and he's only 19 years old!
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

Yong wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
C'mon guys posters should be able to post their concerns without us being overly defensive. I think the worries about Russell's game is legit. I'm not calling him a bust, and I damn sure don't want Okafor but aren't you guys seeing what we're seeing? It doesn't mean you should get upset, constructive criticism is good.

Russell grabbed 7 rebounds, I'd like to see him push the ball off those boards and try to get to the rack. I'd like to see him come off screens and shoot the ball with no hesitation. I'd like to see him try to break down the defense with dribble moves and penetration, I'd like to see him be more aggressive offensively and defensively, the team needs more energy from him, I think they'll feed off it. Those are areas of his game he should work on. He definitely didn't look like a starting point guard out there, I don't think he will be starting anytime soon

Agreed on everything.

honestly, he sucked out there tonight. its shocking to observe that rondo was probably a better shooter than him out there today

stanimal, winslow, hezonja and porzingod are looking better than him right now.

and we were 1 pick away from KAT ... :'(

Yeah, I can't really critique Russell for the way guys were trying to get theirs but for a guy who scored so well in college it is surprising how badly his shooting has translated so far.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nightwalker wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

Lol these insults people calling Russell slow are in for rude awakening in couple of years.

Take a screenshot to save it for material if DLO pans out
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
It was pretty clear what was going on- Russell running the offense, expecting others to do the same. After chucks, chucks and more chucks, he decided screw this, I'll just get some 3's. Not much you can read from that other than looks like someone is asleep at the helm.

I agree with this.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

People don't realize point guards take the longest time to develop more than any other position in the league. Especially 19 year old rookie point guards.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lol at posters deflecting... this is a game thread, not an Okafor thread.

Except no is deflecting.

We're saying the criticisms toward Russell are unwarranted and make zero sense.

At best, they are knee jerk reactions based on a very small sample size of play.

I'd like to see him get a full season or two under his belt before making broad claims about his game.

ummm... bringing up another player from another team to deflect from what happened in the game is exactly what deflecting is . fans are just making observations on what happened during the game.

looks like people are just too defensive when it comes to Russell. I bet even Russell himself will have some criticisms about his own play tonight, I doubt he'd call his performance perfect. but don't fret, no one is making general conclusions on how he will be as a player at the end of his career... we all understand he's a rookie, and are making observations with that in mind.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

That's the problem.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

People don't realize point guards take the longest time to develop more than any other position in the league. Especially 19 year old rookie point guards.

Exactly Russell is in his baby stage far far away from being finished product. I'll enjoy the ride and development of this kid. He's well beyond his years with feel of the game and knowledge already.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

That's the problem.

Why?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:
Drifts wrote:
lol at posters deflecting... this is a game thread, not an Okafor thread.

Except no is deflecting.

We're saying the criticisms toward Russell are unwarranted and make zero sense.

At best, they are knee jerk reactions based on a very small sample size of play.

I'd like to see him get a full season or two under his belt before making broad claims about his game.

ummm... bringing up another player from another team to deflect from what happened in the game is exactly what deflecting is . fans are just making observations on what happened during the game.

looks like people are just too defensive when it comes to Russell. I bet even Russell himself will have some criticisms about his own play tonight, I doubt he'd call his performance perfect. but don't fret, no one is making general conclusions on how he will be as a player at the end of his career... we all understand he's a rookie, and are making observations with that in mind.

I wouldn't call it a "performance" since he played 20 minutes. Even then, the game was lost on the defensive end.

Again, I don't think it's a large enough sample size for us to jump to broad conclusions.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

This game was valuable for exposing our issues:

1) Kobe hit a couple of good shots early but then tried to go ol school Kobe which led to a chain reaction of bad play
2) JC still struggling to find out how to play and at what spots
3) Way too much Nick Young. He was inspired by Kobes play to bring back his god awful swaggy play
4) Lou also had some selfish poor possessions but Id still take his play over Youngs a million times over.
5) BSs rotations and units were horrendous. Ryan Kelly is a nice offensive spark but he gets exposed Defensively if left out there extensively. Bass cannot cover for him at all. To Byron, new Basketball is just being undersized.
6) As a whole, BS has not put one coherent good second unit all preseason nor has he really given the young non starter kids a chance to show what theyve got
7) We are running a slow, inefficient offenses that is meant to create twos including perimeter jump 2s. Our defense is designed to give up threes.
8) DLO was forced to play in a restrictive system where most of the players were the breaking the offense to get theirs. As could be expected, he struggled at times.

Altogether, this game was valuable to shed light on our deficiencies. I also think its obvious that Sacre, Frazier, and Jabari should be cut. Last decision should be MWP versus Holmes.

The rest of preseason should be used to iron out chemistry, rotations and giving young guys some valuable PT. No more wasting Preseason Games!
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

That's the problem.

Why?

Trying to post up because he can't get past his man is not a good sign for a 19yr old point guard.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Byrons handling of this preseason is bad. Guys like Nance and Upshaw were not given a proper opportunity to develop or show what they have.

Meanwhile a clearly failing Bass/Kelly lineup was stubbornly stuck too for the entire game when its failure was obvious to everyone.

Even players are complaining already about their lack of set roles and rotations in their postgame interviews!

Embarassing!!
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

The coaching in game has really turned me off for this season and I already had low expectations.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Ways for the Lakers to win.

1. Run more P&R with Randle, Clarkson, and Russell

2. Less Iso Kobe, only spot up shots. When he iso the ball stops, needs to pass the torch.

3. Defensive rotations have to get better.

4. If Randle and Clarkson aren't leading the team and shot attempts that's a problem. Both are efficient, need more touches.

5. Lou and Young can't be on the court together for long periods of time. One chucker is enough but two is just taking shot attempts away from the young trio.

6. Randle is not efficient, he needs to limit his turnovers (he's making 4-5 every game).
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, we just need to stop complaining and go into the season with a focus on developing our young core so we have something to show to attract free agents. THEN, we need to fire Scott and hire Ollie and get Durant. At that point the rest would fall into place.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:
MJST wrote:
BigBoi wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
SlowAngelo Russell

That's the problem.

Why?

Trying to post up because he can't get past his man is not a good sign for a 19yr old point guard.

That's not why he tried to post up.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
Honestly, we just need to stop complaining and go into the season with a focus on developing our young core so we have something to show to attract free agents. THEN, we need to fire Scott and hire Ollie and get Durant. At that point the rest would fall into place.

Maybe sign a guy like Horford as well...

Horford
Randle
Durant
Clarkson
Russell
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
Why no Black, Sacre or Upshaw though? Is BScott going to cut all 3 ffs?

I don't really see Brandon Bass playing back-up C all the time. Neither he or Kelly are really bangers. I know people hate on Tarik Black for his Defense, but the dude just hustles the whole time and is not afraid to put a body on someone

Strange indeed.

After five games, it's safe to say the following eight will make the regular rotation: Kobe, Roy, Young, Lou, Bass, Randle, JC, Rusell

Depth looks like this:
1. Russell, JC, Lou
2. JC, Lou, Kobe
3. Kobe, Young
4. Randle, Bass
5. Roy

A backup center is clearly absent and yet Byron used Kelly there. Kelly has skillsets different from other bigs; that's his advantage. But as a stretch 5? If might work if he had the D of a five, but he does not.

I would not mind if Byron experiments with Nance who has the athleticism to play an undersized five. Another choice would be Black. Still they sat with Upshaw and Sacre.

Byron' s rotation is really a puzzle. I get the feeling that he has the traditional 1-5 positions in mind which limits his imagination of the game.
EZ-Ryder
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Lol this site is ridiculous. No where else on the web will you find a fan base labeling their own lottery pick a bust after so few games.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:

Problem is his impact on the development of the young guys
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
This game was valuable for exposing our issues:

1) Kobe hit a couple of good shots early but then tried to go ol school Kobe which led to a chain reaction of bad play
2) JC still struggling to find out how to play and at what spots
3) Way too much Nick Young. He was inspired by Kobes play to bring back his god awful swaggy play
4) Lou also had some selfish poor possessions but Id still take his play over Youngs a million times over.
5) BSs rotations and units were horrendous. Ryan Kelly is a nice offensive spark but he gets exposed Defensively if left out there extensively. Bass cannot cover for him at all. To Byron, new Basketball is just being undersized.
6) As a whole, BS has not put one coherent good second unit all preseason nor has he really given the young non starter kids a chance to show what theyve got
7) We are running a slow, inefficient offenses that is meant to create twos including perimeter jump 2s. Our defense is designed to give up threes.
8) DLO was forced to play in a restrictive system where most of the players were the breaking the offense to get theirs. As could be expected, he struggled at times.

Altogether, this game was valuable to shed light on our deficiencies. I also think its obvious that Sacre, Frazier, and Jabari should be cut. Last decision should be MWP versus Holmes.

The rest of preseason should be used to iron out chemistry, rotations and giving young guys some valuable PT. No more wasting Preseason Games!

Agree on all counts.
Genaro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject:

Let me write the game rant no one will read. First of all I must say that this game was so bad I almost stopped watching at the third quarter but I wanted to hear what happened to Kobe first.

Byron Scott
The guys looks lost. He doesn't play the guys who should play, he doesn't have a good rotation set up, he keeps playing the same unit even if nothing is going well, he plays guys who weren't supposed to play together, Anyway, it's a mess. I really hope he goes after the season.

The defense
First of all: I really hate switching big/small on the screens. And we aren't doing it right too. A lot of times guys switch and all of a sudden someone is wide open.
Guard defense is a low on our roster but guys weren't even trying. Guys are blowing by them with ease.
Hibbert is trying to erase everyone's mistakes but when he does impede the layup, someone is free under the rim to be assisted or to get the off rebound.
Rebound was a issue with Bass and Ryan. They can't play together. It's one or the other.

The Offense
Do I need to say anything? They do run the sets once or twice but mostly is just one on one. Nick, Kobe and Lou shoot too much. Nick is the worst of them, I prefer Artest or Brown to be the SF of off the bench.
And even when they run their sets, I don't like this offense. NBA offense nowadays is pick and roll and ball movement. I would put the ball in Clarkson or DLO hands and let them run PnR until they find someone spotted for a 3, someone under the rim or a path to the basket. That's how it works nowadays. This offense doesn't draw a lot of 3s witch is important in today's league. Scott asked for more 3s but all we see is Nick, Lou, Kobe, Clarkson and Russell shoot with a hand on their face.

Kobe
Too much ball hogging. He needs to know that the priority is to develop the young guys.
On defense he needs to show something. He just stands around and let everyone shoots uncontested 3s.

D'LO
People need to understand that he's a rookie and he's not Magic Johnson. It'll take a while. He'll look good sometimes and (bleep) other times. As I stated I don't like this offense, I don't think it suits his abilities. The fact our defense was so bad today also didn't let him do his thing in transition.

Anthony Brown
Good defender, good shooter. I think he can translate himself to a player like Ariza someday. The offense has to generate him some shots.

I hope Scott plays Nance and Upshaw, and Huertas can finally play soon.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:

Problem is his impact on the development of the young guys

No other top draft picks in history of the game have coach like Scott to limit him in a system rather than design a system to play into his strength
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 36 of 37
Jump to: