Our closest team comparison?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Our closest team comparison?

I've been trying to think of who we will best resemble this year, but it's pretty difficult to place since we have a unique makeup of an ATG leading us, some good and improving young guys, and a bunch of good veteran role players. The closest thing I could think of is the big 3 Heatles (lite) without an established second option since I think we will rely on small ball, transition, and defense, but may get crushed on the boards a lot.

Any teams in recent memory come to mind?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

The pre-2011 Cavs teams. Some of them were pretty good, some of them were mediocre. Depending on what you think of our supporting cast, you can decide which of those teams is most analogous.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The pre-2011 Cavs teams. Some of them were pretty good, some of them were mediocre. Depending on what you think of our supporting cast, you can decide which of those teams is most analogous.

Do you mean pre-2014?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Our closest team comparison?

trablos wrote:
I've been trying to think of who we will best resemble this year, but it's pretty difficult to place since we have a unique makeup of an ATG leading us, some good and improving young guys, and a bunch of good veteran role players. The closest thing I could think of is the big 3 Heatles (lite) without an established second option since I think we will rely on small ball, transition, and defense, but may get crushed on the boards a lot.

The Heatles were top heavy with the games best in Wade, Bosh and Bron. They didn't have any young talent. They were the talent and all in their primes.

Though Bron is much older than when 24 yr old Shaq joined us, and though the Lake Show were more further along than these Lakers, this summer does remind me of the summer of 96.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

2008 Lakers Pre-Pau trade. Like that team I think we will be surprisingly good but are one major move from serious contention. I have this dream where we trade Deng for an all star at this deadline.

Last edited by chantruong on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Do you mean pre-2014?

No, I mean the teams with Lebron and a variable supporting cast. That’s more of less what we have. If the supporting cast clicks the way some people hope, we could be pretty good. It’s not a perfect analogy, because the Cavs weren’t hoping for young players to develop. I can’t think of a better analogy in recent years.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Our closest team comparison?

Runway8 wrote:
trablos wrote:

The Heatles were top heavy with the games best in Wade, Bosh and Bron. They didn't have any young talent. They were the talent and all in their primes.

Though Bron is much older than when 24 yr old Shaq joined us, and though the Lake Show were more further along than these Lakers, this summer does remind me of the summer of 96.

'96 Lakers is a good one. That team largely was an uptempo attack-squad. People forget how quick Shaq was getting early position on opposing centers down the floor (not quite as spry getting back...).
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I hate to say this, but maybe a better comparison is the Celtics. Last summer they got a legit superstar in Irving, signed a veteran in Hayward and added both of them to young guys like Brown, Tatum, Rozier and Smart.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

We resemble the 2019 NBA Champs.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

The 2008 Lakers pre-Pau.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Hard to think of a past team with the best player in the league and up and coming kids. Shaq and the team of Eddie, Nick, Elden, Ced and Kobe come to mind. But Shaq was still young and not yet the best player in the league.

Teams seems unprecedented
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Hard to think of a past team with the best player in the league and up and coming kids. Shaq and the team of Eddie, Nick, Elden, Ced and Kobe come to mind. But Shaq was still young and not yet the best player in the league.

Teams seems unprecedented

Imagine, instead of Shaq, if 33 yr old MJ joined the Lakers in the summer of 96.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
We resemble the 2019 NBA Champs.

The only correct answer
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
The 2008 Lakers pre-Pau.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that...I can see it. We were led by a superstar with an improving supporting cast (Bynum, Odom, Farmar, Ariza) and were one critical piece away from legit contenders.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
The 2008 Lakers pre-Pau.

Can't believe I hadn't thought of that...I can see it. We were led by a superstar with an improving supporting cast (Bynum, Odom, Farmar, Ariza) and were one critical piece away from legit contenders.

Yup. The key is 1 superstar and then some young pieces and patchwork role players.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

The 1975 Lakers for sure
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Closest Team has to be the Clippers, hell they are in the same building...!
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
The 2008 Lakers pre-Pau.

Yes, it’s quite similar actually. Now, if we can trade Deng for KL this season, it would be a (bleep) Christmas miracle if that happened.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
2008 Lakers Pre-Pau trade. Like that team I think we will be surprisingly good but are one major move from serious contention. I have this dream where we trade Deng for an all star at this deadline.

Not bad, but who was the young core on that lakers team besides maybe Bynum? We have the superstar, we have the supporting cast, the one thing we have now which I don’t think we had before was a young core with all star potential on an obvious upward trajectory- I think they’re the real wild card or X factor with this team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Not bad, but who was the young core on that lakers team besides maybe Bynum? We have the superstar, we have the supporting cast, the one thing we have now which I don’t think we had before was a young core with all star potential on an obvious upward trajectory- I think they’re the real wild card or X factor with this team.

Wasn't quite the same young core, but we had a lot of youth, many in the rotation or expected to be, that year.

Trevor Ariza (22)
Andrew Bynum (20)
Jordan Farmar (21)
Javaris Crittenton (20)
Sasha Vujacic (23)
Kwame Brown (25)
Ronny Turiaf (25)
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Wasn't quite the same young core, but we had a lot of youth, many in the rotation or expected to be, that year.

Trevor Ariza (22)
Andrew Bynum (20)
Jordan Farmar (21)
Javaris Crittenton (20)
Sasha Vujacic (23)
Kwame Brown (25)
Ronny Turiaf (25)

Ariza, we picked up from Olando. So he’s more like KCP. The rest you mentioned, aside from maybe Bynum, are not (if they are we’re in big trouble) on the level of BI, Kuzma, Ball and Hart. These young guns are expected to be a big part of the laker success post Lebron. Those guys in the list didn’t have those expectations
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Trevor Ariza (22)
Andrew Bynum (20)
Jordan Farmar (21)
Javaris Crittenton (20)
Sasha Vujacic (23)
Kwame Brown (25)
Ronny Turiaf (25)

Ariza, we picked up from Olando. So he’s more like KCP. The rest you mentioned, aside from maybe Bynum, are not (if they are we’re in big trouble) on the level of BI, Kuzma, Ball and Hart. These young guns are expected to be a big part of the laker success post Lebron. Those guys in the list didn’t have those expectations

Who cares if we traded for Ariza? LOL. We’re looking for prior roster constructions that best resemble our current.

Sure, the 2008 Lakers aren’t an identical model to what we have now but you will never find one that matches precisely 1-15 plus coaching staff and contracts. I’m sure theres a better option than that one so if you got it, let’s hear it.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Trevor Ariza (22)
Andrew Bynum (20)
Jordan Farmar (21)
Javaris Crittenton (20)
Sasha Vujacic (23)
Kwame Brown (25)
Ronny Turiaf (25)

Who cares if we traded for Ariza? LOL. We’re looking for prior roster constructions that best resemble our current.

Sure, the 2008 Lakers aren’t an identical model to what we have now but you will never find one that matches precisely 1-15 plus coaching staff and contracts. I’m sure theres a better option than that one so if you got it, let’s hear it.

It’s not only not precise. I don’t think 2008 is that close. Maybe a rough approximation. This is a unique team. Kobe at his elite level didn’t have this type of mix of players. Maybe you got to back to Kareem - 79-80. That might be a better match
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

If not the 2008 Lakers, maybe the 2005 Suns as a model of what we're trying for. Not the play style, but going from lottery to 60 wins by adding one really good player who makes everyone a lot better. LeBron is better than Nash, but they had a promising and very young core that showed individual flashes but hadn't accomplished anything as a group just yet. It really came together for them. Stoudemire, Marion, and Joe Johnson all turned into excellent players. Q Rich as a tag along with Nash wasn't anything unique or special, but a good veteran that played the style they wanted, a la Rondo/Beasley, nothing splashy but solid, dependable guys. I'd compare Ingram favorably to Marion, a stat stuffer who can kind of do it all, though Ingram is a much better ball handler and has a way higher ceiling. Kuzma compares strongly to Joe Johnson, None of the other guys are honestly on the level of young Amare Stoudemire, who was an extremely explosive scorer and rookie of the year who regularly took over games, though a lousy defender and peaked early. Ball could certainly become that good, but hasn't yet. Would be a more obvious comparison if we'd held onto Randle, but obviously the goal there is to get Kawhi, which would give us two players better than anyone those Suns ever had.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I thought of 2008 Lakers as well. Yes, current young core is way better than 2008 one, but championship level role players like Fisher, Odom, Ariza compensate for it at least until our young core has an all star.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: