2016 Dodgers Thread (candy canes see page 222 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 233, 234, 235  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
nickuku wrote:
We REALLY need a power bat at first base. I love Agon but he is done.
AGAIN, he's dealing with a back injury. He's playing through it. Its not a major injury, but it is one. He's also raised his average a little over the last week as has everyone except for Yasmani, but that dude's constantly getting banged up behind the plate.

I don't see us trying to upgrade at first base at all unless Adrian suffers some sort of injury that flat-out shelves him for the year. He has too long of a track record, and it's not like he's scuffling so badly that he's still not a threat up there. I think he'll figure it out and/or get healthy at some point.

Our team has a lot of holes but if I had 1 position to reinforce it'd be another starting pitcher. Most of our bats are starting to come alive. With Seager/Thompson showing well, having the vets from last year being even at 80-90% of how they were last year, our offense won't be an issue. After Maeda, the rest of our starting pitchers are basically #5's at best. Way too much pressure on Clayton right now.

Oh I agree, we need a #2 starter. We can't count on Ryu to do that, or McCarthy, or anyone else we have. We also need another shut-down reliever, and I still maintain that we need another outfielder if Puig simply can't get it back (and he hasn't hit well for any significant period of time since the midway point of the 2014 season). The good news is that we shouldn't have to part with elite prospects to get a guy like Jay Bruce, who would be a rental player. Or we could go the route of trying to get a Ryan Braun, and eat all the money owed to him (meaning we shouldn't have to give up as much of a haul), or we could also agree to take Garza's contract off their hands, which could also lessen the prospect haul. Colorado would probably demand a ton for CarGo.

I believe his fastball is in the 80s right now. I'm not holding my breath . Crying shame.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
nickuku wrote:
AGAIN, he's dealing with a back injury. He's playing through it. Its not a major injury, but it is one. He's also raised his average a little over the last week as has everyone except for Yasmani, but that dude's constantly getting banged up behind the plate.

I don't see us trying to upgrade at first base at all unless Adrian suffers some sort of injury that flat-out shelves him for the year. He has too long of a track record, and it's not like he's scuffling so badly that he's still not a threat up there. I think he'll figure it out and/or get healthy at some point.

Our team has a lot of holes but if I had 1 position to reinforce it'd be another starting pitcher. Most of our bats are starting to come alive. With Seager/Thompson showing well, having the vets from last year being even at 80-90% of how they were last year, our offense won't be an issue. After Maeda, the rest of our starting pitchers are basically #5's at best. Way too much pressure on Clayton right now.

Oh I agree, we need a #2 starter. We can't count on Ryu to do that, or McCarthy, or anyone else we have. We also need another shut-down reliever, and I still maintain that we need another outfielder if Puig simply can't get it back (and he hasn't hit well for any significant period of time since the midway point of the 2014 season). The good news is that we shouldn't have to part with elite prospects to get a guy like Jay Bruce, who would be a rental player. Or we could go the route of trying to get a Ryan Braun, and eat all the money owed to him (meaning we shouldn't have to give up as much of a haul), or we could also agree to take Garza's contract off their hands, which could also lessen the prospect haul. Colorado would probably demand a ton for CarGo.

I believe his fastball is in the 80s right now. I'm not holding my breath . Crying shame.

He topped out at 88 in his last start, I think. He hasn't really been stretched out for a significant period yet, so he may still be able to get it back over 90 fairly soon. Even just at 90, he should be pretty effective. But we'll see.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
nickuku wrote:

He topped out at 88 in his last start, I think. He hasn't really been stretched out for a significant period yet, so he may still be able to get it back over 90 fairly soon. Even just at 90, he should be pretty effective. But we'll see.

What were his #'s prior? I don't remember tbh.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kcxiv wrote:
nickuku wrote:

What were his #'s prior? I don't remember tbh.

For the most part, he was consistently in the low-90's, like 91-93 with his fastball. I saw some games where he could hit 94-ish but that radar gun may have been off LOL. Then some starts he may have been more like 90-91. But mainly low-90's fastball velocity before the shoulder injury popped up.

EDIT: I just looked at Fangraphs, and he averaged 90.9 MPH with his fastball in 2014. I think that he could throw harder at times, but probably only did that when he needed to, kind of like Greinke did.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=14444&position=P&type=6&gds=&gde=&season=2014

SECOND EDIT: It looks like in Ryu's last rehab start, his fastball was sitting mostly at 86 MPH, and he hit a couple of 88's and one 89. So he does have a little bit of work to do.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject:

Cool, very reassuring. I thought he was clipping in mid 80s and his typical fastball was 95 or something llike that. Basically an insurmountable 10mph drop off. Hearing these #'s are reassuring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Cool, very reassuring. I thought he was clipping in mid 80s and his typical fastball was 95 or something llike that. Basically an insurmountable 10mph drop off. Hearing these #'s are reassuring.

I think so. If he was averaging 86 in his last start, he's still almost 5 MPH off of what his 2014 average velocity was. So he does need to improve that a bit. I also looked up Greinke's average fastball velocity from last season, and it was 91.8 MPH. We saw Zack be able to touch the mid-90's when he really needed it. The question with Ryu will be if he is even capable of reaching back for more, even if he can get his fastball back to 89-90. We just have to hope so.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject:

I saw the amazing last night ... Doyers were on ESPN hahaha

The amazing was Bryce Harper be intimidated and guessing. I have never seen Harper face a pitcher and not be super aggressive. Last night in his 3 ABs against Kershaw... he was confused and pressing sooooo hard. He had zero idea as to how to approach the at bat.

If anyone asks you how dominating Kershaw is right now, just show them this clip against the BEST hitter in baseball.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/clayton-kershaw-washington-national-bryce-harper-three-strikeouts-062116
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject:

^ Come to the Dodgers and Bryce won't have to deal with him.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

We were harassing him from right field all day long. He glared at us.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

We were harassing him from right field all day long. He glared at us.

nice job!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Harper's been in a funk ever since that series against the Cubs where they just kept intentionally walking him and/or pitching around him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Puig is back.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

So, Urias is getting another start after his scheduled start on Wednesday. I'm guessing that they want to send him down around the time that McCarthy and Ryu will be ready to get back to work.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Grandal with his biggest moment of the season so far. Dodgers win their 5th straight.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wow, Grandal with his biggest moment of the season so far. Dodgers win their 5th straight.

Which are few and far between with that .182 average.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
So, Urias is getting another start after his scheduled start on Wednesday. I'm guessing that they want to send him down around the time that McCarthy and Ryu will be ready to get back to work.

Since his early hiccup, he's had a 1.91 ERA and a 11.86 K/9.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Dare we say...Clayton-esque?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Dare we say...Clayton-esque?

No, trade him for Hamels/Price....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Giants lead on the Dodgers: 5.5

Cueto WAR: 3.5

Greinke WAR: 2.0

Hmmm.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Hmmm.

How good are those guys with a bat?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Hmmm.

Fear not, we have the mighty Scott Kazmir....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Another very solid outing for Urias. He'll probably be our number 2 by the end of the season.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Another very solid outing for Urias. He'll probably be our number 2 by the end of the season.

Urias has such good stuff. If not for some horrible calls by the ump in the first inning he might have went for 7 innings. He has a wicked curveball too. I dont want him to go back down, i tune in to watch this kid pitch.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

My goodness, putting in Baez is like waving the white flag. 98 mph pitches and he can't get it by hitters...
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
My goodness, putting in Baez is like waving the white flag. 98 mph pitches and he can't get it by hitters...

It's sad that it's basically accepted that he's going to give up the lead once he enters the game.

This Baez experiment has to end. Dude just ain't cutting it. There's gotta be somebody better than him down on the farm.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Page 69 of 235
Jump to: