2016 Dodgers Thread (candy canes see page 222 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 233, 234, 235  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Not Dodger news, but former Braves/Angels pitcher Tommy Hanson dies of catastrophic organ failure at 29. Wow.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject:

I loved the Matt Kemp trade to the Padres, but let's face it, Friedman got owned with the trade that involved the Marlins. They basically gave up Dee Gordon, paid Dan Haren's $10MM salary to not play for us, and traded team control of Andrew Heaney for 6 years for 1 year of Howie Kendrick. Yes, the Dodgers did get Enrique Hernandez and Chris Hatcher as well, along with minor leaguer Austin Barnes. But Gordon and Heaney (and the $10MM) was not worth 1 year of Kendrick, a super utility guy, an inconsistent reliever, and a minor leaguer. It would have been worth it had we just kept Heaney and not flipped him for Kendrick. (Stroke of genius move by Jerry DiPoto, by the way.)

The Dodgers made a mistake in moving Heaney for Kendrick, but they should not double down and give Howie a long-term deal now. Second baseman tend to not age well into their mid-30's, and that's what Howie's next contract will lead him into.

Perhaps they can go with Peraza at 2B and he can be the speed element atop the lineup that they lost when they traded Gordon. There was also a report out there that the Reds are looking to move Chapman and Phillips. It would be a Friedman move to agree to take on Phillips' entire salary for the next two seasons if it means getting Chapman, and perhaps they wouldn't have to give up as much if they did so. Phillips, though obviously pricey, is coming off a resurgent season, putting up a 3.5 WAR.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

I agree -- I was super high on that deal until we dealt Heaney.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Was never a fan of the Kemp deal and was definitely not so with the Gordon deal.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I loved the Matt Kemp trade to the Padres, but let's face it, Friedman got owned with the trade that involved the Marlins. They basically gave up Dee Gordon, paid Dan Haren's $10MM salary to not play for us, and traded team control of Andrew Heaney for 6 years for 1 year of Howie Kendrick. Yes, the Dodgers did get Enrique Hernandez and Chris Hatcher as well, along with minor leaguer Austin Barnes. But Gordon and Heaney (and the $10MM) was not worth 1 year of Kendrick, a super utility guy, an inconsistent reliever, and a minor leaguer. It would have been worth it had we just kept Heaney and not flipped him for Kendrick. (Stroke of genius move by Jerry DiPoto, by the way.)

The Dodgers made a mistake in moving Heaney for Kendrick, but they should not double down and give Howie a long-term deal now. Second baseman tend to not age well into their mid-30's, and that's what Howie's next contract will lead him into.

Perhaps they can go with Peraza at 2B and he can be the speed element atop the lineup that they lost when they traded Gordon. There was also a report out there that the Reds are looking to move Chapman and Phillips. It would be a Friedman move to agree to take on Phillips' entire salary for the next two seasons if it means getting Chapman, and perhaps they wouldn't have to give up as much if they did so. Phillips, though obviously pricey, is coming off a resurgent season, putting up a 3.5 WAR.

Yup, Reds are willing to unload everyone to re-build Cubs style.

I'd definitely be interested in Chapman and Phillips (2 yrs @ $13.5M avg)
Add those 2 and the off-season is pretty much done.

Just starting pitching to focus on.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Was never a fan of the Kemp deal and was definitely not so with the Gordon deal.

You weren't a fan of the Kemp deal? We got over on the Padres big time on that one. Dumping as much of Kemp's contract was a massive victory in and of itself. And Grandal was beasting before he got hurt. Assuming he returns healthy, he's one of the better-hitting catchers in the league.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:

Dodgers also interested in Darren O'Day, apparently.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Dodgers also interested in Darren O'Day, apparently.

I think 99% of the teams are hahaha
#Avatar-gate
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Dee Gordon can add a Gold Glove to his batting title and stolen base title last year.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

You weren't a fan of the Kemp deal? We got over on the Padres big time on that one. Dumping as much of Kemp's contract was a massive victory in and of itself. And Grandal was beasting before he got hurt. Assuming he returns healthy, he's one of the better-hitting catchers in the league.

No. I don't like roiders on principle and Grandal is one of them. Grandal had a nice burst but really, he's a .230-.240 hitting catcher with artificial power. That avg would've come down anyways. I had hoped for the Ethier-Montero trade to go through.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

No. I don't like roiders on principle and Grandal is one of them. Grandal had a nice burst but really, he's a .230-.240 hitting catcher with artificial power. That avg would've come down anyways. I had hoped for the Ethier-Montero trade to go through.

Kemp may have been a roider as well. So many were and are. I've given up trying to pass judgment.

Back to talking about relievers, it really looks like many teams are considering moving stud closers, perhaps realizing that they have such short shelf-lives. The Dodgers really need to come up with one of these guys and form a dynamic bullpen. It's been the absolute weak-link of the team for a couple of seasons, maybe more. Postseason baseball is a different game. You need to be able to shorten the game. So whether it's Chapman, Andrew Miller, O'Day, Soria, Benoit, Kimbrel, Ken Giles, etc...the Dodgers just need to address this situation. Badly.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Dee Gordon can add a Gold Glove to his batting title and stolen base title last year.

The irony.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

yup..and Kemp did pretty darn well this year. 4th in RBI in the NL. Still can't play a lick of D, but can Grandal stay healthy?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

yup..and Kemp did pretty darn well this year. 4th in RBI in the NL. Still can't play a lick of D, but can Grandal stay healthy?

RBI is like literally the worst metric you can judge a hitter on though.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Snipes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Fair, but he still exceeded my expectations this year. I will always root or him. Also he hit for the cycle!!!!
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Snipes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Fair, but he still exceeded my expectations this year. I will always root or him. Also he hit for the cycle!!!!

He did get robbed by that roiding liar in 2011. I still keep my Kemp jersey and wear it proudly.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Snipes wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Likewise. He treated the fans at Dodger Stadium well.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Kemp played miserably this year when the Padres actually had hopes of staying in contention. Once their record became horrific, he started to hit. I'm usually not impressed when players put up numbers with no pressure. Also, his "defense" in the outfield continues to be a joke. That's a trade I would make 100 times out of 100. Just the financial relief alone made it worth it.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kemp played miserably this year when the Padres actually had hopes of staying in contention. Once their record became horrific, he started to hit. I'm usually not impressed when players put up numbers with no pressure. Also, his "defense" in the outfield continues to be a joke. That's a trade I would make 100 times out of 100. Just the financial relief alone made it worth it.

Agree 100% .... if Grandal never got hurt for the final 30-40 games, his numbers would likely 20% higher overall. Even with the injury, he ended the season pretty much the best hitting catcher or at least in the top 5.

Don't forget, Kemp was a clubhouse cancer.

Don't forget, Greinke would not have had that great season w/o Grandal.
#Avatar-gate
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons

When I heard he was available, I wanted the Dodgers to make a move for him; strengthen SS, move Seager to 3b and play JT at 2b. But after seeing what it cost the Angels, it likely would have cost the Dodgers at least JDL if not more.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kemp played miserably this year when the Padres actually had hopes of staying in contention. Once their record became horrific, he started to hit. I'm usually not impressed when players put up numbers with no pressure.

This is absolutely true.

If you go back and look at it, the stats he put up were pretty much meaningless as the season was already essentially over.

That may be a little harsh, but I think it is true.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I don't doubt his defense was bad but if you're looking to bash players who put up numbers with no pressure, look elsewhere. Kemp was batting .353 for us in the postseason and his surge was a big reason they made the playoffs last year. Not to mention he was battling injuries in the first half this year and is pretty much a 2nd half hitter anyways.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Brett Anderson signs his QO. Part of the first 3 to ever accept their offer. Which is $10mil more than I would've wanted but oh well, it's a one year so if he gets injured again, no big loss. Hopefully, he isn't forced to become our #4 or #3 pitcher again.

Dodgers down to Kepler, Erstad, Black, and Roberts. I would be happy with any of the latter 3.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject:

Erstad out of the running.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

I want to see Oh Seung Hwan in Dodger blue.

With all the issues the bullpen seemed to have the past year, he'd be a really smart acquisition. Plus the familiarity with Ryu and LA's big Korean community will help ease the transition from NPB to the Majors.

Obligatory YouTube clips:

36th save vs Yakult Swallows

39th save vs Chuniichi Dragons

He's a RHP who's been primarily a closer all his career.
His signature pitches are a cut fastball and slider but occasionally will throw a change to fool batters. Concerns are that he's 33 and coming off a season ending surgery, but his body of work says he'll be an effective reliever in the league. Word is the Yankees are interested, but he'd be a great complement to Jansen in the 'pen.

11 Yr Career Stats:

W: 32
L: 20
W-L%: .615
ERA: 1.81
RAvg: 1.96
G: 571
GS: 0
GF: 498
CG: 0
SHO: 0
SV: 357
IP: 646.1
H: 403
R: 141
ER: 130
HR: 43
BB: 149
IBB: 13
SO: 772
HBP: 12
BK: 0
WP: 23
BF: 2479
WHIP : .854
H9: 5.6
HR9: 0.6
BB9: 2.1
SO9: 10.7
SO/W: 5.18

Baseball Reference
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Page 9 of 235
Jump to: