2016 Dodgers Thread (candy canes see page 222 before posting)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 233, 234, 235  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Kemp played miserably this year when the Padres actually had hopes of staying in contention. Once their record became horrific, he started to hit. I'm usually not impressed when players put up numbers with no pressure. Also, his "defense" in the outfield continues to be a joke. That's a trade I would make 100 times out of 100. Just the financial relief alone made it worth it.

I don't doubt his defense was bad but if you're looking to bash players who put up numbers with no pressure, look elsewhere. Kemp was batting .353 for us in the postseason and his surge was a big reason they made the playoffs last year. Not to mention he was battling injuries in the first half this year and is pretty much a 2nd half hitter anyways.

I was speaking specifically about the numbers he put up last year, which were empty numbers. I realize he was great for us down the stretch in 2014. Hanley was the best hitter in baseball for a time with us. Should we have given him more than $20MM a year for many years after that? Thank god we didn't extend him. My point is that Kemp is an extremely injury-risk player who has to hit awesome to be worth good value because he is a terrible fielder, who makes a lot of money for many more years and we were able to get out of 2/3 of his contract. It was a great trade for us.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Greinke, two, Kersh, three in the Cy voting.

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article/157607582/no-cy-young-for-zack-greinke-clayton-kershaw

Arrieta with 169 votes, Greinke with 147, and Kersh with 101

Last edited by ribeye on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

stupid. 11 games does not a season make
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

All 3 of them were worthy, though Greinke more than Kershaw in my opinion.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers split the votes. Sorry, but half a season of excellence is not better than a whole season. Zach was robbed.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Dodgers split the votes. Sorry, but half a season of excellence is not better than a whole season. Zach was robbed.

Look, let's be fair. It's not like Arrieta was a POS before the 13-start finish to the season. Greinke was more consistent, yes. And despite Zack's scoreless innings streak, you'd have to argue that Arrieta's peak this season was better. Zack had the very slight edge in ERA and WHIP, but it wasn't a runaway for Zack there. Arrieta had more strikeouts and their strikeout-to-walk ratios were nearly identical at 5 to 1 (Arrieta would've needed 1 less walk and he would've been percentage points over a 5 to 1 ratio). And although Zack led the league in ERA, Arrieta's FIP was better. Arrieta also led the league in fewest hits allowed per 9 innings and fewest HR allowed per 9 innings. Arrieta also pitches in a ballpark that is not exactly known as a pitcher's park, while Zack does (although it should be noted that Zack's ERA+ number was just slightly better than Arrieta).

What I'm trying to say is that it was extremely close. In the categories where Zack was better, he was just barely better. Personally, I think I would have voted for Zack. But whenever you have such a close argument, I've always said that you can always make the case for the person whose best (or whose peak) was better than the other person's. Nobody could touch Arrieta after the All-Star break.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Look, let's be fair. It's not like Arrieta was a POS before the 13-start finish to the season. Greinke was more consistent, yes. And despite Zack's scoreless innings streak, you'd have to argue that Arrieta's peak this season was better. Zack had the very slight edge in ERA and WHIP, but it wasn't a runaway for Zack there. Arrieta had more strikeouts and their strikeout-to-walk ratios were nearly identical at 5 to 1 (Arrieta would've needed 1 less walk and he would've been percentage points over a 5 to 1 ratio). And although Zack led the league in ERA, Arrieta's FIP was better. Arrieta also led the league in fewest hits allowed per 9 innings and fewest HR allowed per 9 innings. Arrieta also pitches in a ballpark that is not exactly known as a pitcher's park, while Zack does (although it should be noted that Zack's ERA+ number was just slightly better than Arrieta).

What I'm trying to say is that it was extremely close. In the categories where Zack was better, he was just barely better. Personally, I think I would have voted for Zack. But whenever you have such a close argument, I've always said that you can always make the case for the person whose best (or whose peak) was better than the other person's. Nobody could touch Arrieta after the All-Star break.

If we want to talk about advanced stats there was no winner but Kershaw.

Yeah, I agree this isn't a situation like when Dickey robbed Kersh, though I do think the Cubs narrative and Dodgers fatigue played a part in the vote. It's just disappointing. You always want your guy to win and Zach was amazing the entire year.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

i could care less about Cy Young or any of the individual accolades. name the damn manager already
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

If we want to talk about advanced stats there was no winner but Kershaw.

Yeah, I agree this isn't a situation like when Dickey robbed Kersh, though I do think the Cubs narrative and Dodgers fatigue played a part in the vote. It's just disappointing. You always want your guy to win and Zach was amazing the entire year.

Silver lining is one less piece of ammo for Zack's agent to use.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i could care less about Cy Young or any of the individual accolades. name the damn manager already

Word is the Dodgers have offered the job to Kapler. There will be an increase of female following if he is. Kapler is as Hollywood as it gets in the looks department. Let's hope he is the next Mike Matheny.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Shohei Otani has nasty stuff.

100+mph fastball, 93mph forkball.

I heard Dodgers were in for him a few years back, I think he'll be well worth the $20M posting fee for negotiation rights.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

It made me very angry.

There is no justification for Greinke to have not won the Cy Young, He got jobbed.

I really hope he is back with the Dodgers next season, just pay the money I don't care I just want him in the rotation.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

It made me very angry.

There is no justification for Greinke to have not won the Cy Young, He got jobbed.

I really hope he is back with the Dodgers next season, just pay the money I don't care I just want him in the rotation.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

It made me very angry.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Arietta won the Cy.

He deserved it without a doubt.

The only people I see complaining about it are Dodger fans.

Get over it.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Arietta won the Cy.

Get over it.

And if Zack won the Cy, Cubs fans will be complaining and we'd be the ones telling you to get over it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Arietta won the Cy.

Get over it.

And if Zack won the Cy, Cubs fans will be complaining and we'd be the ones telling you to get over it.

And yet he didn't. Nor would I be whining.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

It made me very angry.

While I do share your sentiments, I do think if Greinke doesn't come back it'll be absolutely worthwhile to splash that cash and invest in Otani (who's arguably Japan's biggest pitching prospect since Darvish). It's a risky move, but one that could pay dividends for years to come. I'll always remember the Dodgers for being pioneers when it comes to picking up Asian pitching prospects (Chan Ho, Nomo, Ishii, Saito, Kuroda, Ryu). It'll be nice to have a young stud (22) in the starting rotation that'll be a staple for years to come at Dodger Stadium.

Comparison:

Darvish (NPB: Nippon Ham Fighters)
Otani (NPB: Nippon Ham Fighters)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Two Predictions.
1. Grienke will not re-sign with Dodgers.
2. Puig will be traded.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Two Predictions.
2. Puig will be traded.

dear god, please let it happen, Puig in a package for Giancarlo Stanton, Stanton gets to go back to socal, and Puig gets to play in a market with huge Cuban population, only thing though, i don't think mattingly gonna endorse that trade
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
32 wrote:
Two Predictions.
2. Puig will be traded.

dear god, please let it happen, Puig in a package for Giancarlo Stanton, Stanton gets to go back to socal, and Puig gets to play in a market with huge Cuban population, only thing though, i don't think mattingly gonna endorse that trade

Puig is not a trade chip that could bring back someone like Stanton either. Maybe when he first arrived on the scene and was playing a lot better he was closer to this, but now Puig is kinda overrated and has concerns not only about his attitude but his weight too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

The rumor going around right now is Puig to Cleveland for a starting pitcher.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

Greinke with the Dodgers:

51-15 with ERA's by season of 2.63, 2.71, 1.66

His record as we all know could be far better with even mediocre run support in many of his starts.

I would back up the Brinks Truck and just give him the money.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Greinke with the Dodgers:

51-15 with ERA's by season of 2.63, 2.71, 1.66

His record as we all know could be far better with even mediocre run support in many of his starts.

I would back up the Brinks Truck and just give him the money.

Yeah. I don't really care how much he asks for, just how many years. 5 years - whatever$$$$ he wants.
Kobewood
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
32 wrote:
Two Predictions.
2. Puig will be traded.

Puig is not a trade chip that could bring back someone like Stanton either. Maybe when he first arrived on the scene and was playing a lot better he was closer to this, but now Puig is kinda overrated and has concerns not only about his attitude but his weight too.

Don't be so sure. I mean, these are the Marlins we're talking about.

Thank you Kobe for giving 20 years of yourself to the Purple and Gold. We are forever indebted to your greatness.

#WIN4VIN
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Page 10 of 235
Jump to: