WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10-17-15 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Couldn't watch the game, glad to hear LNJ had a highlight moment

EDIT: oh and Huertas too. I've seen him in Int'l competition so I am pleased to hear he finally got in the game and performed as expected.

(I also didn't know they could just stop a game like that. 30+ years of watching bball and I don't know if I've ever heard of that before. Interesting.... Glad no one was hurt.)
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Russell's per 36 minutes this preseason:

11.8 points, 9 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 0.9 steals, 2.4 TO, 2.4 PF, 33.3%, 36.4% 3PT.

People really going on wild swings after a few minutes of play each game. He's only really played about 2 games worth of ball so far.

Those numbers are inflated by that Maccabi game. Not impressed yet. Think he's really pressing and it's showing. The fact you have to go to the per 36 numbers to help look at his production says alot about his lack of "impact" so far. Clarkson looked lost early on last year as well. I'm sure DeAngelo will get it. So far, he looks like a deer in headlights.

The fact I have to look at per 36 is that he's played just 76 minutes in the preseason. That's about 2 games worth, which is what I said above. It's not about searching for "impact"... It's perspective. Put everything he's done together this preseason (good and bad) and it's just two games. This is the sample size and people freak out over a quarter worth of play from last night?

Well yes. He was raved about in pre-draft workouts. He looks like a 2 guard with great vision. A few nifty passes and poor outside shooting from a kid touted with an unreal jumper is a major letdown so far. The coaching staff should be patient with him but fans like myself have every right to critique him to death especially since he didn't even look dominant in college. These sample sizes seem to be a way to try to calm the panickers such as myself. I clearly want to be wrong about Russell and like I said before...he's green as hell! If we are going to develop him rather than bring him in kick butt...shouldve taken Stanley Johnson instead
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject:

I remember John stockton's rookie year (after 4 years of college). 5 and 5. Took him four years to reach double digits. I bet the jazz were kicking themselves after vern fleming had the superior rookie year. These things tend to be so easily figured so quickly.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject:

Someone missing wide open shots that they hit in college is probably the last thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I remember John stockton's rookie year (after 4 years of college). 5 and 5. Took him four years to reach double digits. I bet the jazz were kicking themselves after vern fleming had the superior rookie year. These things tend to be so easily figured so quickly.

I definitely hope so.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject:

I watched a bit of 76's game from last night. Okafor looks way behind Noel as well. They just need 2-3 months to adapt to NBA. We should not expect wonders. I did not see a dominating game from any rookie thus far.
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: WARRIORS -at- LAKERS - 10-17-15 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
I’d love to have a few more roster spots just for the D-League with contract guarantees and retaining rights.

Agreed, this is one of those years where I wish the d-league was more like aaa for baseball where you can have exclusive rights to a player while you let them develop in the minor leagues. Not sure if that is something that can be implemented without a change to the cba, but it's a change that needs to occur for multiple reasons.

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I doubt the Jazz were kicking themselves. Maybe that was the push Stockton needed to take his game to the next level? Do you think the Lakers are kicking themselves over benching Kobe early in his career?

I think the question we should ask is what starting lineup gives the Lakers the best chance to win on October 28 and take it from there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
24 wrote:

I doubt the Jazz were kicking themselves. Maybe that was the push Stockton needed to take his game to the next level? Do you think the Lakers are kicking themselves over benching Kobe early in his career?

I think the question we should ask is what starting lineup gives the Lakers the best chance to win on October 28 and take it from there.

Please turn on your sarcasm meter.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

Haha - truth is I didn't know who Vern Fleming was and I assumed he played for the Jazz ahead of Stockton for a year (a la Eddie Jones ahead of Kobe)...Made a lot of sense in my head. So I thought you were implying the Jazz wished they started developing Stockton sooner...I will stop talking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Haha - truth is I didn't know who Vern Fleming was and I assumed he played for the Jazz ahead of Stockton for a year (a la Eddie Jones ahead of Kobe)...Made a lot of sense in my head. So I thought you were implying the Jazz wished they started developing Stockton sooner...I will stop talking.

Nah, Fleming was drafted right after Stockton, and had a much better rookie year. It took Stockton a few years to come on. I was just satirizing the "we should have drafted Stanley Johnson, since Russell hasn't been a star since minute one" argument.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

Of course, it is doubly funny when you're hearing folks tell you we should have drafted Johnson, who themselves wanted other players at draft time.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Of course, it is doubly funny when you're hearing folks tell you we should have drafted Johnson, who themselves wanted other players at draft time.

"I was for Johnson after I was for Okafor before I was for Mudiay."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sacre has played like cold oatmeal, serviceable but not anything you want to have seconds of.

Sacre is a good dude but this is so true! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Liked what I saw from Huertas, Nance and Upshaw. Russell will be fine. Just give him a little time.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Nah, Fleming was drafted right after Stockton, and had a much better rookie year. It took Stockton a few years to come on. I was just satirizing the "we should have drafted Stanley Johnson, since Russell hasn't been a star since minute one" argument.

Hasn't made any kind of impact at all. A few dazzling passes doesn't cut it IMO. You can be sarcastic towards me but me not to you? C'mon! Johnson had as much potential as anyone in the draft. You're punking Johnson because I used him as an example of a guy who is showing real flashes in preseason. I'm done. I'll just read your bias rather than comment on it. Banning myself amongst the homers here. Hope I'm completely and utterly dead wrong because I want the Lakers to be great again!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
24 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:

Hasn't made any kind of impact at all. A few dazzling passes doesn't cut it IMO. You can be sarcastic towards me but me not to you? C'mon! Johnson had as much potential as anyone in the draft. You're punking Johnson because I used him as an example of a guy who is showing real flashes in preseason. I'm done. I'll just read your bias rather than comment on it. Banning myself amongst the homers here. Hope I'm completely and utterly dead wrong because I want the Lakers to be great again!

For starters, I don't have any problem with sarcasm. Fire away.

But the point remains that a guy who is pretty physically developed at a much lower skill position playing better right out of the gate than a skill player at a high skill position (under pretty heavy restrictions from the coach) isn't generally a "we drafted the wrong guy" call after 75 minutes of play, especially if the guy you're now saying we should have drafted isn't the guy you were advocating before the draft (that's called being a Monday Morning QB).

And I'm not punking Johnson at all, or Mudiay either, although if you look at things like ORating and other metrics, Russell isn't nearly as non impactful as you are portraying. He's just not hitting his shot (in a very limited sample size) or taking charge and taking over right now.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Sometimes it is just fate and timing that allows a superstar to bloom - as in the case of John Stockton (with a little help from Karl Malone and Jerry Sloan.

Hard to believe that those circumstances and opportunities would exist in Lakerdom. Kobe was given the opportunities because of the Jerry West factor, Michael Cooper session and Kobe's indomitable WILL.

Does DLO have what it takes (talent, will, drive, determination and vision) to be successful in the NBA - time will tell if he develops into a top echelon PG or just a good one
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: