GARY VITTI APPRECIATION THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation
The Lakers will honor Gary Vitti tonight, after spending 32 seasons as the Lakers trainer. We love you Gary!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:
Is all this bile and hatred towards Vitti actually based on anything concrete?

I agree, love him or hate him, the man is a Laker legend and should get some degree of respect.

My daughter who is a personal trainer-dietitian and has masters in Kinesiology laughs at the stupidity and ignorance displayed in this forum. She's met Gary and she said he's one of the most knowledgeable and experienced trainers in the country.

Most Laker players sing his praise as well. I don't know how good of a trainer he is, nor does anyone here, so those who bad mouth him are posting from a position of ignorance. I rely on statements like Kobe and DLO have made regarding his work, as well as someone like your daughter who knows him and also the field.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Trainer Gary Vitti, almost literally the glue that held Lakers together at times, is about to join Kobe Bryant in retirement

Quote:
Gary Vitti knows the rookies have been sent by the veterans to buy them, a battle he can't win, so he puts up an adjacent sign that says "cardiac risk," an almost daily reminder that doughnuts probably aren't the healthiest things.

It is 1984, Vitti's first year as the Lakers' athletic trainer. Times are a little different back then.

Thirty-two years later, he's ready to retire. He'll be honored during Sunday's game against Boston, an apropos opponent if ever there was one.

Vitti, 61, came to fame as the mustachioed man near the front of the bench in the Lakers' "Showtime" era. He still wears his 1987 championship ring (it came against the Celtics) and talks reverently of the 1985 title (also against the Celtics).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-gary-vitti-20160403-story.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Gary Vitti dishes tales on Kobe, Magic and more

Quote:
Retiring athletic trainers do not get video tributes, even ones who logged 32 years with the Lakers, captured eight championships, kneaded Hall-of-Fame muscles, and shipped Gatorade jugs from Los Angeles to Boston because they could not trust the Celtics’ supply.
Here’s what the Vitti montage might look like. Cue Green Day.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/23/gary-vitti-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-magic-johnson
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:

I agree, love him or hate him, the man is a Laker legend and should get some degree of respect.

My daughter who is a personal trainer-dietitian and has masters in Kinesiology laughs at the stupidity and ignorance displayed in this forum. She's met Gary and she said he's one of the most knowledgeable and experienced trainers in the country.

Most Laker players sing his praise as well. I don't know how good of a trainer he is, nor does anyone here, so those who bad mouth him are posting from a position of ignorance. I rely on statements like Kobe and DLO have made regarding his work, as well as someone like your daughter who knows him and also the field.
I think a lot of the posts that rags on Vitti are made in jest, it's almost like a running joke here in LG.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:

I have a feeling that if Kobe thought for one second that he wasn't getting adequate treatment that he would demand another trainer. Vitti is a legend and should receive a respectful and appropriate farewell.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
ocho wrote:

I have a feeling that if Kobe thought for one second that he wasn't getting adequate treatment that he would demand another trainer. Vitti is a legend and should receive a respectful and appropriate farewell.

Yep. Same way he brought Judy on board and had the team hire her full time.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Lots of them with him at the helm.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Gary for popping Kobe's ankle in the first Final of the 3peat, allowing him to return and win the next game single handedly and begin the legend. Really!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Thanks Gary for popping Kobe's ankle in the first Final of the 3peat, allowing him to return and win the next game single handedly and begin the legend. Really!
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see the Lakers giving Vitti some well-deserved props as he retires.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Lakers honor another retiring legend in Gary Vitti

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti, who, like Bryant, is retiring this summer. And Vitti, who has been in his role for 32 seasons, has also received his share of farewell gifts this season -- mostly wine (including a case of Napa Valley wine from the Sacramento Kings) and cards with messages that have touched him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15128707/los-angeles-lakers-honor-another-retiring-legend-gary-vitti
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I loved this quote from Gary

"I'm a Laker," Vitti said in the video that played on the scoreboard. "That's what I am. It doesn't get any better than that."
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Legendary Trainer Gary Vitti Honored By Lakers

Quote:
After 32 seasons and eight championships, Gary Vitti is hanging up his clipboard and medical bag.

The Lakers’ head athletic trainer is retiring at the end of the season, so the organization saw fit to honor him in between the first and second quarters during Sunday’s game against Boston.

His fellow soon-to-be-retiree, Kobe Bryant, had trouble putting into words Vitti’s importance during his 20-year career.

“That is a very long answer,” Bryant said. “I was really happy to see the ovation he received.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160403_garyvitti
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject:

PHOTOS: Lakers trainer Gary Vitti through the years
Quote:
From Magic to Kobe: Gary Vitti has corrected the bodies of Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant during his career with the Lakers, which spans 32 years, 12 NBA Finals appearances and 8 NBA championships.

http://photos.dailynews.com/2016/04/photos-lakers-trainer-gary-vitti-through-the-years/#1
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Vitti is one of the worst trainers in the entire league. Good riddance.

Kobe Bryant doesn't agree with you, but I guess what does he know, right?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers legendary trainer Gary Vitti caught on kiss cam

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/716815881905377280/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    activeverb
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
    venturalakersfan wrote:
    LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
    pio2u wrote:
    ocho wrote:

I think a lot of the posts that rags on Vitti are made in jest, it's almost like a running joke here in LG.

I don't think it's in jest. We had a rash of injuries, and he became an easy target for the anger. Whether that anger was fair or not is anyone's guess. It's not like there are metrics or statistics for trainers, so there isn't really any way for us fans to evaluate him.

I respect him as a long-time Laker employee but beats me how he compares in terms of skills and competency to trainers for other teams. I am pretty indifferent about his retirement because I don't have any sense of him other than as wallpaper that's always been around.
    Hector the Pup
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
    venturalakersfan wrote:
    LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
    pio2u wrote:
    ocho wrote:

They're not in jest. It's real hatred based on ignorance. The folks who do it have no clue who does what for the team.
    The Logo
    Star Player
    Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject:

We ultimately have no idea how Vitti compares to other medical staffs in the league. I am confident however, Vitti is one of the best in the business, because how else would he keep his job otherwise? Sure we had a lot of injuries in the past couple years, but that was dumb luck. Kobe continuously played through his injuries, but that's Kobe being Kobe. He'll play if he can run. Hell, I'm almost certain his shoulder is dislocated or something right now, but he's still playing because he wants to finish off this remaining week for the fans.
    pio2u
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe Pens Thanks to Gary Vitti

Quote:
    Fittingly, two of the Lakers' most legendary figures, Kobe Bryant and Gary Vitti, are heading out at the same time.

In his 20-year career — which ends with Wednesday's game against Utah — Bryant's health has always been under the watch of Vitti, who is also retiring after a 32-year career that included eight championships.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160413_kbvitti
    Chronicle
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

I've given gary vitti a lot of hate the last few years but truth is he's a legend and I am happy we had him for so long

Go lakers!
    angrypuppy
    Retired Number
    Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
    Quote:
    Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation
    The Lakers will honor Gary Vitti tonight, after spending 32 seasons as the Lakers trainer. We love you Gary!

That explains why the ticket prices are so high.
    Janggoon8
    Star Player
    Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Will miss seeing him on the sideline as well. I remember him driving out of Staples in his teal colored 4runner.
    Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
    Page 3 of 4
    Jump to: