WE WANT LUKE WALTON THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
The idea is that he carries over and instills those principles of playing the right way over to this team from his experience with GSW as well as his playing days. The exact reason why people are always so gaga for Spurs coaches.

I am aware of two previous spurs assistants who are now head coaches - Philadelphia 76ers coach and Atlanta Hawks coach.
Definitely 76ers are bad. Not sure about Hawks coach

Not sure if good assistants can turn definitely into good head coaches.
It's taking a chance and which I am tried so far with Brown, MDA, and now Byron. Get an experienced coach who fits our roster.

Last edited by rak617 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
Where's the "Luke Walton Doesn't Want Us" thread?

Exactly, why would he want to ruin his spotless record.

Maybe the word "interim" is your answer?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject:

At this point I don't see one convincing argument against hiring Luke.

WALTON FOR LAKERS HC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
The idea is that he carries over and instills those principles of playing the right way over to this team from his experience with GSW as well as his playing days. The exact reason why people are always so gaga for Spurs coaches.

I am aware of two previous spurs assistants who are now head coaches - Philadelphia 76ers coach and Atlanta Hawks coach.

Brett Brown is a redshirt coach for a tanking team so it's not fair to look at him right now. Hawks coach won COTY just last year with an underdog team and a regular season record of 60-22 although he got thoroughly outcoached/Lebron'ed in the playoffs, but that is still quite a feat.

But besides that, Kerr also considers Luke his most trusted assistant, and being a rookie head coach himself, there's no way he's a one man architect over there. I'm inclined to believe Luke isn't just a bystander in all their success.

Last edited by dood23 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Brett Brown is a redshirt coach for a tanking team so it's not fair to look at him right now. Hawks coach won COTY just last year with an underdog team and a regular season record of 60-22 although he got thoroughly outcoached in the playoffs, but that is still quite a feat.

But besides that, Kerr also considers Luke his most trusted assistant, and being a rookie head coach himself, there's no way he's a one man architect over there. I'm inclined to believe Luke isn't just a bystander in all their success.

This uncertainty is what I am not comfortable with. We already failed 3 times.
Now the roster is young. If we hire another bad coach, we will be set back 4 or 5 years.
It's better to see Luke for 2 more years before we give him the biggest toughest job. Let him learn the head coaching duties at some other place. Let him make mistakes at some other place.

I prefer a guy who can develop this young talent. No need to win right away. When the young guys are ready to dominate NBA, we can hire a coach who is more experienced in winning, rather than developing talent (like Phil)

Last edited by rak617 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Brett Brown is a redshirt coach for a tanking team so it's not fair to look at him right now. Hawks coach won COTY just last year with an underdog team and a regular season record of 60-22 although he got thoroughly outcoached in the playoffs, but that is still quite a feat.

Now the roster is young. If we hire another bad coach, we will be set back 4 or 5 years.
It's better to see Luke for 2 more years before we give him the biggest toughest job. Let him learn the head coaching duties at some other place. Let him make mistakes at some other place.

And do what in the interim, let Byron coach ANOTHER year?
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:

No.
Byron can't develop rookies nor win the games.
Need someone right now who can develop the rookies. If that's not the direction we are going, we need to get some big time players next year and get a seasoned coach.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

Every head coaching hire brings an air of uncertainty. It's just a fact at this point. We failed 3 times going for "proven experience", and here we are. Some coaches just don't mesh with the players.

So if we're going to make our next gamble, I'm choosing the guy who was able to survive in this league solely because of his BBIQ.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:
rak617 wrote:
dood23 wrote:

EXACTLY. Stop being scared and trying to take the safest route.

There is such a thing as learning on the job. I'll take Luke over 99% of the retreads
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I keep referring to (John) Wooden’s quote, 'It's amazing what you can accomplish when no one cares who gets the credit,' " Warriors general manager and former UCLA player Bob Myers said. "Luke’s not walking around like he’s the man. He’s just happy that our team’s doing well, and Steve’s happy that the team’s doing well. We just want to win."

Truth be told, Walton would be the first one to admit that he’s lucky to get this chance.

He's four years removed from his first-ever coaching job, an assistant at the University of Memphis that he took on as a way to learn the craft during the NBA lockout. From there, he became a player development coach for the Lakers’ D-League team, the Los Angeles Defenders, before joining Kerr with the Warriors two summers ago.

He was a natural fit on a number of different fronts: Like Kerr, he attended the University of Arizona; like Kerr, he grew up in Southern California and was known as a smart, inclusive, easygoing-yet-competitive type; like Kerr, he paid close attention to Jackson’s teachings during their title-winning time together. And so far, Walton’s ability to make this all look so easy is inevitably making Kerr look all the wiser for choosing him as the temporary replacement.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/warriors/2015/11/23/luke-walton-interim-coach-breakout-star-warriors-record-start/76282224/

Less EGOS. Less MAN UPS. just a good guy and hopefully our next coach.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

Maybe after this season. As long as Kobe is still with us, Walton will not be a suitable coaching candidate. Kobe won't listen to him.
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Maybe after this season. As long as Kobe is still with us, Walton will not be a suitable coaching candidate. Kobe won't listen to him.

Then Kobe's the one that needs to good long look at himself in the mirror.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject:

Luke's car was stolen from his home in NorCal. Come home Luke where it's safe!
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
WALTON: Memphis, they’re a veteran team that’s been in the playoffs. So they do what they do and they do it very well.

For example, I would preach to the team, the weak side duck in by Zach Randolph–they look for it all game long. Zach Randolph will start setting you up before you even realize the ball’s getting swung.

High-low, any time you’re fronting, Marc Gasol is going to flash high, look to go high-low. And if they go to the post and Marc has made his way high, he’s always looking to set a little flare screen for the guard.

So just like tendencies of what they do they well and what they do a lot.

Tony Allen’s always looking to play passing lanes. Things like that to just put in their minds so when they’re playing and everything’s going 100 mph, they have something to fall back on.

Just after Game 3 in New Orleans, late after the game in the hotel, Nick came in, set up the screen, and we watched the game until 4 a.m.

They changed up the way they were guarding us and they were switching everything, and it was kind of taking us out of our natural flow.

So the adjustment coming into for Game 4 was we started slipping a lot of those screens, so it caused a lot of confusion and then we would counter the other side with either Steph or Klay getting double picks.

Davis, who is an incredible player… you kind of have to change your game plan around him; we started putting him in a lot more back picks, just because bigs, once they switch onto a guard, he’s so long and athletic, he can contest them still.

But bigs aren’t used to fighting and negotiating over screens, especially back screens. So we figured we could get him in some back picks just to get him lost out there, even if it’s just as a decoy so he can’t be in the paint blocking shots.

Little things like that. And the great thing is our guys picked it up (snaps his fingers) in one practice before Game, and they came out and did a great job of it.

We put Draymond as the point, we started running him at the point to keep Davis occupied and not being able to hang out down there. And he went out and almost got a triple-double for us.

Substance, no cliches, no vague remarks about manning up
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
You know what got my attention with Luke?

During the last lockout, he took the initiative to join the Memphis Tigers coaching staff. While most guys were chilling during the lockout, he goes to a college team (probably unpaid) to learn how to coach.

Because he has a winning pedigree. But somehow that's not a plus?
I don't understand why some posters want these "proven" coaches. None of them have won anything. Guys like Thibs literally ran his players into the ground. Like scientifically and statisticlly proved to run his players into nothing and we want that guy? Ugh.... Luke is going to be proven to be a good coach and then I'll have to read all the posts about how we'd love to have a coach like him and missed the boat.
lakerstekkenn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Thiere

Kerr and Luke triangle are killing us we need to hire Luke big time

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH HIM
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject:

You guys gotta be kidding me. Luke has been gifted an all-time great team. If your local high school basketball team's coach coached the Warriors this season, they would be 15-0 or close to it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
You guys gotta be kidding me. Luke has been gifted an all-time great team. If your local high school basketball team's coach coached the Warriors this season, they would be 15-0 or close to it.

Nah. You put Byron on this team and they're lucky to be above .500 (due to injuries at training camp).
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
absolutely not.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:

Once again what did Mark Jackson do with the exact same squad?

I'll be waiting for an answer.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
where24happens wrote:

That's really irrelevant and kind of stupid. No one's comparing the changes Steve Kerr made from Mark Jackson's lineup. Thats comparing A to B. Right now Steve Kerr to Luke Walton is comparing A to A, the team was elite starting with Kerr last year and it hasn't changed. Therefore I stand by the proposition that a HS basketball coach would have the Warriors at 15-0 or 14-1. This Warriors team right barely requires a coach right now. They are just running on all cylinders so smoothly.
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
where24happens wrote:

Don't forget Steve Kerr between Mark and Luke.

I have seen good things about Luke but Lakers team is a bigger and tougher job. Not sure how he will handle if he is given this job now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
where24happens wrote:

That's really irrelevant and kind of stupid. No one's comparing the changes Steve Kerr made from Mark Jackson's lineup. Thats comparing A to B. Right now Steve Kerr to Luke Walton is comparing A to A, the team was elite starting with Kerr last year and it hasn't changed. Therefore I stand by the proposition that a HS basketball coach would have the Warriors at 15-0 or 14-1. This Warriors team right barely requires a coach right now. They are just running on all cylinders so smoothly.

The point with Luke is hopefully a year as an assistant and time as an interim has allowed him to learn enough. I'd rather take a guy who's been a part of a system like this then retread piece of trash #738. Guy's got the Lakers pedigree to keep the loudmouth Showtime cavemen at bay. He's marinated in a pace and space system. As a player he was already among the highest BBIQ on the court. The only drawback is the perceived lack of experience and at this point given the track record of some of the has beens of yesterday, that's a positive.

Luke may or may not be the answer but hopefully the FO shows even an ounce of Dr. Buss' swing for the fences attitude instead of the sort of cowardice and uninspired thinking that would have left Pat Riley in the radio booth and go for a young, fresh voice as opposed to the same ass crap.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait till Luke gets here.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject:

yes, I really see Luke leaving a potential dynasty in GSW to come to a lakers team that has the 2nd worst record in the league and is run by a dysfunctional FO .....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 14 of 34
Jump to: