In Store more Expensive than Online Price

View previous topic :: View next topic  
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: In Store more Expensive than Online Price

How do you all feel of stores that have products on their shelves that cost more than what they show online?

From what I’ve noticed, Target and Petsmart are guilty of this.

The good thing is that they price match with no questions asked. But that bad thing is that I feel like I have to scan everything I put on my cart with their apps. With Target alone, I probably stopped them from over charging me $30 because I made them price match what they show online on the Target website. What a headache.

P.s I rather say “over charging” instead of “saving” because it’s not really saving! It’s what the price should have been the whole time!
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Target is notorious for this. A few years ago, I think they were caught raising prices on their Target app when a user was in store vs outside store. Probably for this reason. Annoying.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject:

I don’t have a problem with a cheaper price if it’s a cheaper cost to ship direct rather than stick on shelves (the whole point of Amazon) but they shouldn’t have to price match it in the store. They probably do that because it doesn’t happen a lot and it keeps customers from going off.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

I think the cheaper price online is because Target is trying to stay lockstep in price with WalMart and Amazon on household essentials online. I don't necessarily think it's that much cheaper to direct ship vs ship and house in store, because typically it's essentials that they're going to keep shelved and inventoried in store regardless. But I'm not a retail supply chain person, so I may be mistaken.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I think the cheaper price online is because Target is trying to stay lockstep in price with WalMart and Amazon on household essentials online. I don't necessarily think it's that much cheaper to direct ship vs ship and house in store, because typically it's essentials that they're going to keep shelved and inventoried in store regardless. But I'm not a retail supply chain person, so I may be mistaken.

The larger retailers all keep an eye on one another with crawlers that notify one another of price changes on popular name brand items. You see this often with consumer electronics when retailers spy on Amazon and vice-versa, whenever someone makes a price change an alert is sent out and the competitor quickly matches or beats the new price. And of course that's the online world, brick and mortar stores are not going to change lock-step with the online.

Bear in mind that retailers are not making much money nowadays. Even before the pandemic people were frequently using retail outlets to check out something that they intended to purchase online. This is a serious disadvantage for brick and mortar retailers, as they're stuck with an expensive lease and sales personnel vs. the relatively cheap (and frequently outsourced) online customer service reps. It's less expensive to sell stuff online than in the brick and mortar world.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

The larger retailers all keep an eye on one another with crawlers that notify one another of price changes on popular name brand items. You see this often with consumer electronics when retailers spy on Amazon and vice-versa, whenever someone makes a price change an alert is sent out and the competitor quickly matches or beats the new price. And of course that's the online world, brick and mortar stores are not going to change lock-step with the online.

Bear in mind that retailers are not making much money nowadays. Even before the pandemic people were frequently using retail outlets to check out something that they intended to purchase online. This is a serious disadvantage for brick and mortar retailers, as they're stuck with an expensive lease and sales personnel vs. the relatively cheap (and frequently outsourced) online customer service reps. It's less expensive to sell stuff online than in the brick and mortar world.

Best Buy and to a smaller scale Microcenter really navigated the move from B&M to hybrid really well. They're thriving. Used to be that Amazon or sites like Newegg ALWAYS beat the brick and mortar stores in terms of price. Now as you mentioned, they're price matching each other left and right. If I'm paying the same price, I'm going B&M every time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: