Lakers "Big Guard" Lineup not really that great of an idea

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JusLakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Lakers "Big Guard" Lineup not really that great of an idea

Remember at the begining of the season how excited we were at having one of the biggest line ups in the league? Having a 6'4 point guard, 6'6 shooting guard, and 6'10 small forward, we would be able to find a mismatch anywhere on the court. Unfortunately I really feel this strategy works against us.

Ive noticed through out the season that the types of lineups that give us the most problems are teams that play us with 2 point guards on the floor. Duhon - Hinrich, Atkins - Arenas, Dixon - Blake, Fisher - Davis, and most recently Felton - Knight come to mind. I cant even imagine what it is going to be like tommorow with Paul and Claxton.

Even though in theory it seems great to be bigger that our opponents, it just seems that neither Parker or Sasha have the foot speed to stay in front of these smaller quicker guards, and the rest of our team is too big and slow (Lamar comes to mind even though he isnt the only one guilty) to rotate over quick enough to help play team defense.

Another sad thing is that we hardly ever exploit these mismatches. The only consistent time we exploit any mismatch is with Kobe on a smaller guard, and even then I still think we get burnt more that burning them. I dont know how many times I have hit my head against the television screen when Lamar has had a smaller man on him in the post or even Smush for that matter, and we completly ignore them on offense.

I really feel that management (Kup and Buss) have to get on the same page as Phil, because its becoming painfully blatant that Kobe is carrying this team night in and night out, and is the only reason they are in any of these games.

Just my two cents.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I don't think footspeed is really the problem on defense (though Sasha is a little slow). The problem seems to be that they're both so intent on trying to knock the ball away or gamble for steals that they allow opposing guards to get into the lane when their hands get caught in the cookie jar.
BallerAli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are playing horrible. If I were Phil I would bench the entire starting lineup except Kobe.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Okay, what small guards should they have played more?
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

its that theyre not taking advantage of their mismatches.especially odom who should post up evrytime down
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: