OFFICIAL Lakers 2016 NBA Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 1138, 1139, 1140  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject:

Let's draft Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving because Kyrie went to Duke.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject:

If we get #3, I smell a trade.

Dunn is another guard who needs the ball in his hands, if we get him Clarkson or Russell could be on their way out. Really hope there aren't any plans for a Dunn/Russell/Clarkson trio at guard. Would prefer Jaylen Brown if we keep JC/DLo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject:

Ben Simmons

Shooting that jumper with confidence now. Seems like he's really added to it or he wouldn't be going to it. One thing about Ben is he's very cerebral. He doesn't go to something unless he feels like it's the best play for him to make.

He apparently has been working on that jumper and now it's part of his game, at least the mid range, so he goes to it more because he considers it an option so he can pick when to attack with it now.

I see this going with the rest of his game too as he adds more dimensions, such as eventually a 3 point shot as well. Good to see him progress. Number 1 draft pick if he remains healthy, no doubt in my mind.

What sticks out most to me was that first block he got, how quickly he got off the ground and swatted that. He gets off the ground fast, if he has the proper defensive coach he could be a true monster on that end.

Liked his defense this game.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ben Simmons

Shooting that jumper with confidence now. Seems like he's really added to it or he wouldn't be going to it. One thing about Ben is he's very cerebral. He doesn't go to something unless he feels like it's the best play for him to make.

He apparently has been working on that jumper and now it's part of his game, at least the mid range, so he goes to it more because he considers it an option so he can pick when to attack with it now.

I see this going with the rest of his game too as he adds more dimensions, such as eventually a 3 point shot as well. Good to see him progress. Number 1 draft pick if he remains healthy, no doubt in my mind.

His Jumper even looks like Lamar's!
and it barely gets over the rim, personally not my style and i wouldn't project that form extending any further out. but if he can make an off the dribble mid range shot consistently, he would be a big time player.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Ben Simmons

and it barely gets over the rim, personally not my style and i wouldn't project that form extending any further out. but if he can make an off the dribble mid range shot consistently, he would be a big time player.

What sticks out most to me was that first block he got, how quickly he got off the ground and swatted that. He gets off the ground fast, if he has the proper defensive coach he could be a true monster on that end.

KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject:

Simmons is like JJ Watt and Randle is Von Miller. Simmons is physically more imposing and freakish, way more length to finish(he extends too, palms the ball and gets it to the rim). Simmons seems like clearly the better player, as Watt would seem to be over Von (for most of the year and most of their careers)

But Randle, the more compact athlete, more of a bull, the downhill burst, even a spin move. He could dominate too. Not the once in a generation player, but could be great.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
MJST wrote:
Ben Simmons

Ya he's a ridicccculous athlete. he has 6'7 pop and quickness. with a 9' reach. I could see him being really good defensively. I think his motor is decent on that end, I have no qualms with it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject:

Watching Randle working on his 3 and mid range game, and Simmons work on his mid range game, feeds into the thought that they could work very well together.

Kobe said that Randle by this time next year will have a consistent jumper, right hand and possibly 3 point shot because he works as hard to ensure he does and become a complete player and Kobe doesn't heap that kind of praise on just anyone.

If Simmons has that same drive, and if I go by how much he's working on his game in college thus far, then I have no reason to believe they couldn't play together.

The drive and dishes from Simmons to Randle at the 3 point line, swung to Russell for another wide open three would be beautiful, or a Simmons drive to dish to a cutting Randle, or vice versa as both are solid passers, though Simmons is the better one though that pass from Randle that split the defense he got to Lou was crazy, and he also can pass with the left or right hand.

So I think Russell and Simmons both would be beasts, and if Randle adds the 3 and mid consistently to his game, him and Simmons will be a problem for the NBA to have to deal with, add Russell to that and the way his game is already progressing...and you have a potential squad.

I said not too long ago, maybe a few years, that the Lakers are the one team with the biggest chance of duplicating OKC's success with homegrown talent, and not be cheap about it like OKC did when they got rid of Harden.

Thus far it looks like that 'may' be a possibility with how great their drafting has been as of late.

But we need to prepare as if we aren't getting the pick in terms of for our off-season moves.

It doesn't 'depend' on if we keep our pick or not but it does depend on what we surround our picks with, regardless of whether we got Simmons or not.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
If we get #3, I smell a trade.

Dunn is another guard who needs the ball in his hands, if we get him Clarkson or Russell could be on their way out. Really hope there aren't any plans for a Dunn/Russell/Clarkson trio at guard. Would prefer Jaylen Brown if we keep JC/DLo.

I wonder what a No.3 pick would fetch. Would it be in the region of say, Khris Middleton?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers get the number 3 pick trade it to Sac for their pick and WCS.

That'd be ideal in that scenario imo.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I'd love that, but unlikely SAC will fall in love with anyone at #3 for them to give up WCS and a pick.

Maybe #3 for Denver's #7 and #16? If we're lucky, draft Jaylen Brown and Prince Ibeh?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

I could see that being possible.

Kings need a guard desperately, especially when Rondo is gone since his contract expires after this season. So they would likely want Kris Dunn a lot.

Either way, I do agree on that if we happened to get the 3rd pick, we would most likely trade it as I don't see the Lakers looking to have 3 guards on the team. Or if they do keep the pick, we would probably draft Brown.

Not that it matters though, because we will get the 1st pick.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'd love that, but unlikely SAC will fall in love with anyone at #3 for them to give up WCS and a pick.

Maybe #3 for Denver's #7 and #16? If we're lucky, draft Jaylen Brown and Prince Ibeh?

Kind of interesting scenarios if the lottery played out that way. Obviously looking like Simmons and Ingram would be Lakers likely #1 or #2 as the draft looks today. But Lakers trading the #3 has some possibilities.

- WCS and Heild with the SAC pick? - Lakers add an elite defensive C and arguably the best shooter in the draft. Curious if SAC would make that move for Dunn?

- Or ... the Denver suggestion. Perhaps Poeltl and Valentine? For some reason Poeltl is growing on me. Good solid defender, decent post scorer. Valentine is another solid defender that plays NBA ready style.

We are certainly getting ahead of ourselves. but it is more fun then the reality of the Lakers. .
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

Laker lottery update from LA TIMES

Quote:
Current chances of winning the No. 1 pick: 19.9%.

Current chances of falling out of the top three on lottery night: 44.31%.

Games left vs. teams under .500: 11.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:

I could see that being possible.

Kings need a guard desperately, especially when Rondo is gone since his contract expires after this season. So they would likely want Kris Dunn a lot.

Either way, I do agree on that if we happened to get the 3rd pick, we would most likely trade it as I don't see the Lakers looking to have 3 guards on the team. Or if they do keep the pick, we would probably draft Brown.

Not that it matters though, because we will get the 1st pick.

A Kris Dunn/Larry Nance/#32 for WCS and #9 (Luwawu would be my choice) might move the needle for the Kings. But retaining Rondo/WCS could keep Cousins happier in the short-term, and we all know how the Kings love short-term moves without foresight.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Somehow looking at this makes me want this season to be over even more than I already do.

Oh, and now I'm even more depressed.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Ingram with a monster game. 18/10/4 on 5-9 FG's while running the point a lot.

Yup, coach K says he could run point at the next level of need be.

18 and 10 is a monster game? He is still a Duke player. No thanks. Ben Simmons or trade the pick.

and ben simmons is still a LSU player

I really don't get the people who base a player's future on where they played. That tells me not to take your opinion seriously.

Everyone knows Skal Labissiere is the next Anthony Davis/Karl Anthony Towns.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

18 and 10 is a monster game? He is still a Duke player. No thanks. Ben Simmons or trade the pick.

I really don't get the people who base a player's future on where they played. That tells me not to take your opinion seriously.

not sure if you were responding to me or what but i was being sarcastic
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject:

Anybody know where Tyler Ulis is projected to be drafted? If he drops to the second round I would love to grab him as a back-up PG.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

not sure if you were responding to me or what but i was being sarcastic

Nope not you. And I've seen that Duke argument used more than a few times since we started this thread so yeah it's pretty stupid.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:

Those odds are (bleep).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/5/9/d/59ddfea6-addf-4952-8e4a-0727e33afb3a/39e89471-eebc-e311-b4d2-002655e6c45a_original.jpg
destiny?
though I think Ingram would be a better fit if we keep our young core of Russell, Clarkson and Randle.

Honestly would be happy with any of the guys, Ingram, Simmons, Dunn. I do wonder how high Ingram's upside is considering how young he is.

Can you think of any other high school teammates, that were both high lotto picks, that ended up on the same NBA club? Twins most likely played together in High School, like the Morris boys, but they're not high lottery. Off the top of my head, I can think of Conley and Oden, but they didn't get on the same NBA team.

If you count AAU, Elton Brand and Lamar Odom played together before eventually reuniting with the Clippers; 1st and 4th picks in the '99 Draft.

Good to great college/NBA players come across the same AAU teams all the time.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Anybody know where Tyler Ulis is projected to be drafted? If he drops to the second round I would love to grab him as a back-up PG.

2nd round, but there are A LOT of prospects to consider. Very tough for me to pass on Prince Ibeh at #32.

Prince Ibeh
Gary Payton II
Chinanu Onuaku
Jake Layman
Tyler Ulis
DeAndre Bembry
Tyrone Wallace

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

2nd round, but there are A LOT of prospects to consider. Very tough for me to pass on Prince Ibeh at #32.

Prince Ibeh
Gary Payton II
Chinanu Onuaku
Jake Layman
Tyler Ulis
DeAndre Bembry
Tyrone Wallace

I haven't seen most of those guys so I'm not a good judge but I really like Ulis. High IQ, tenacious defensively despite being small and he's a team-first guy. Where's prince ibeh from? I've seen Payton and layman and wouldn't mind them but I like Ulis more.
AC Green's V-Card
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
AC Green's V-Card wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/5/9/d/59ddfea6-addf-4952-8e4a-0727e33afb3a/39e89471-eebc-e311-b4d2-002655e6c45a_original.jpg
destiny?
though I think Ingram would be a better fit if we keep our young core of Russell, Clarkson and Randle.

Honestly would be happy with any of the guys, Ingram, Simmons, Dunn. I do wonder how high Ingram's upside is considering how young he is.

Can you think of any other high school teammates, that were both high lotto picks, that ended up on the same NBA club? Twins most likely played together in High School, like the Morris boys, but they're not high lottery. Off the top of my head, I can think of Conley and Oden, but they didn't get on the same NBA team.

If you count AAU, Elton Brand and Lamar Odom played together before eventually reuniting with the Clippers; 1st and 4th picks in the '99 Draft.

Good to great college/NBA players come across the same AAU teams all the time.

They sure do. But given the criteria of high lottery AND playing on the same NBA team, you'll be hard pressed to find many examples. Here are some great AAU teams of the past: http://www.legendssf.com/blogs/legends-blog/14491885-10-best-aau-basketball-teams-ever

For example, Dwight Howard and Josh Smith almost qualify because of their stint in AAU and the Houston Rockets, but Smith was selected 17th overall. Same is true for Odom and Artest with the Lakers but Ron-Ron was selected 16th overall. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Stanley Johnson and Aaron Gordon were on the same AAU team and were high lottery picks but (as of now) have never played on the same NBA team. Lot less common than you might think.

Outside of that, Monteverde, Oak Hill or Hargrave Military Academy might as well be AAU teams considering players move all around the country to play on these prep school teams. It's not like they came up in the same neighborhood. It's AAU with classes involved.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 1138, 1139, 1140  Next
Page 178 of 1140
Jump to: