OFFICIAL Class of 2015 Okafor/Mudiay/non-DLO Rookies Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 89, 90, 91  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Injuries are a concern with Porzingis as well. He has a slight frame.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Porzingis struggles a bit against length, strangely enough.

Is he missing jumpers shooting over them? I'm leaning towards thinking his jumper is indeed disruptable/ him being 7'3 isn't the end all be all in shooting over guys

I feel like it speeds him up a bit. His shooting motion speeds up, and when he attacks a close out he kind of flips the shot up there over length rather than take a controlled shot. He doesn't need to do either of those things.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Watching Philly (bleep) the bed in 4th quarters is worth the cost of League Pass. They are freaking masterful.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Philly just tied the record for most consecutive losses. They lost their last 10 games of last season, so it's up to 26 now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Wow, Philly just tied the record for most consecutive losses. They lost their last 10 games of last season, so it's up to 26 now.

There's still the single-season consecutive loss streak that Byron so masterfully achieved with the Cavs to to gun for.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

3 turnovers + phil pressey iso to end the game, phil guard core is definitively the worst in the league might be worst all time in nba history

does make me feel better about the lakers

porzingis can really stand to use more lift on his jumpers. his legs are really weak right now

Last edited by kobetimeeverytime on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

It's his height more than his slight frame. The last 3 big men above 7'3" and above that played more than spot minutes all had major foot issues. Yao, Big Z and Rik Smits all had nagging issues that basically derailed them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Ja can't buy a win. Played solid tonight again 19 points, 4 blocks. His team had the lead almost all game until the last few min. Hinkie is happy deep down, I'm sure.

Porzingis finishes the night with a poor shooting percentage - but with 6 blocks, 8 points, 8 boards, 3 assists.

Best one may have been

jonnybravo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

It's his height more than his slight frame. The last 3 big men above 7'3" and above that played more than spot minutes all had major foot issues. Yao, Big Z and Rik Smits all had nagging issues that basically derailed them.

Yep that's a legit fear.
One thing in his favor is that he is light on his feet and at first glance doesn't look awkward or uncomfortable with his body. You always got the sense that some of those big guys - and Bynum was another guy - that they were sometimes moving like in a way their body didn't look right. With this guy he moves like a 7'3 SF. Now that doesn't mean he'll avoid serious injuries, but he doesn't look like Yao 2.0 or Big Z in terms of how he moves on the court.

Back to Jahil one second, what must it feel like to be on a 0-16 team. I can't imagine what it's like, the losing has to get to you at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yep that's a legit fear.
One thing in his favor is that he is light on his feet and at first glance doesn't look awkward or uncomfortable with his body. You always got the sense that some of those big guys - and Bynum was another guy - that they were sometimes moving like in a way their body didn't look right. With this guy he moves like a 7'3 SF. Now that doesn't mean he'll avoid serious injuries, but he doesn't look like Yao 2.0 or Big Z in terms of how he moves on the court.

Also a situation where he's carrying A LOT less weight than those guys were, with the exception of Smits. Physically, from strictly a "how he moves" standpoint, he's most reminiscent of Ralph Sampson, who also had injury issues. A giant and thin, while still coordinated.

4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Another reason why Yao was starting to get injured was playing in international games basically every summer. I remember reading that the Chinese Communist Party wanted Yao to play those games for nationalist reasons, so he never got a basketball break. He was relatively healthy for his 1st 3 years in the league and then started seriously breaking down in his 4th year.

I now understand why Mark Cuban doesn't like NBA players playing in these international games. Porzingis has said he wants to play for Latvia in international games and represent his country in the Olympics. He may just have a Yao-like career if he doesn't get the necessary rest.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Porzingis struggles a bit against length, strangely enough.

Is he missing jumpers shooting over them? I'm leaning towards thinking his jumper is indeed disruptable/ him being 7'3 isn't the end all be all in shooting over guys

I feel like it speeds him up a bit. His shooting motion speeds up, and when he attacks a close out he kind of flips the shot up there over length rather than take a controlled shot. He doesn't need to do either of those things.

Ya I think I've seen that. wana take a closer look at his contested Js. He did get off cleanly another fadeaway post shot today - missed it. I wonder what his go-to shot is guna be , or if he'll ever even attempt to have one
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Yep that's a legit fear.

Also a situation where he's carrying A LOT less weight than those guys were, with the exception of Smits. Physically, from strictly a "how he moves" standpoint, he's most reminiscent of Ralph Sampson, who also had injury issues. A giant and thin, while still coordinated.

True, true. I was going to mention Sampson but his knee injury happened in his 5th year. We didn't really see how his feet would have held up over the long haul since his knee injury basically changed his career trajectory.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

welp Okafor knocked someone out in Bos last night. hopefully no legal trouble. Knocking out Celtics fan dude was destined to be a laker

Last edited by PayasoLoco on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Video of Okafor fight:

dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/26/jahlil-okafor-street-fight-kos-man-in-boston-video/

that footwork translating into the streets!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
welp Okafor knocked someone out in Bos last night.

Always liked Jahlil.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Video of Okafor fight:

And here people said he was emotionless and had no fire.

Guess this is what it means to 'be meaner' and 'manning up.'
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2592645-duke-fans-create-save-jahlil-psa-for-76ers-rookie-jahlil-okafor

This guy is frustrated when the the losing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
welp Okafor knocked someone out in Bos last night. hopefully no legal trouble. Knocking out Celtics fan dude was destined to be a laker

+5000 points for KO of a Celtics fan.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

The smartest guy in this is Porzingis, who apparently knew how awful the Sixers organization is and refused to work out for them.

Okafor is stuck in that mess, it's eating away at him, and he's acted completely and utterly unprofessional. I know he's 19, and lord knows if you told me at 19 some of the things that fan was probably saying to JO, I'd throw a punch. But, Okafor's a pro now. He can't do it. A few games suspension is what he'll get, rightfully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Man one thing I gotta give to Riley/Miami they know how to pick up quality players either with drafting or scouting and signing undrafted players.

Winslow was a good choice at 10, not a star, but quality 2-way guy.
But more than that - Whiteside and then Tyler Johnson as well.

That's 3 longterm assets gotten with using just 1 #10 pick. And best part is they fit them in to their game plan on the court. That's where someone like Pat Riley really helps all the way down. Kudos to them, they really know what the heck they are doing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Man one thing I gotta give to Riley/Miami they know how to pick up quality players either with drafting or scouting and signing undrafted players.

Winslow was a good choice at 10, not a star, but quality 2-way guy.
But more than that - Whiteside and then Tyler Johnson as well.

That's 3 longterm assets gotten with using just 1 #10 pick. And best part is they fit them in to their game plan on the court. That's where someone like Pat Riley really helps all the way down. Kudos to them, they really know what the heck they are doing.

I had Winslow in the top 5 so falling to 10 was a no brainer for them.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The smartest guy in this is Porzingis, who apparently knew how awful the Sixers organization is and refused to work out for them.

Okafor is stuck in that mess, it's eating away at him, and he's acted completely and utterly unprofessional. I know he's 19, and lord knows if you told me at 19 some of the things that fan was probably saying to JO, I'd throw a punch. But, Okafor's a pro now. He can't do it. A few games suspension is what he'll get, rightfully.

Jahlil refused to work out for them too, but they took him anyway.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

For all the talk that Okafor doesn't defend well here's his OPP FG% when he's out there around the basket area.

Quote:
Defensive Impact: Statistics measuring the impact a player has on defense, including blocks, steals and protecting the rim, which measures the opponent's field goal percentage at the rim while it is being defended. Rim protection is defined as the defender being within five feet of the basket and within five feet of the offensive player attempting the shot.

Opponent FG percentage (The lower the better)

Okafor 43%
Towns 45%
Porzingis 45.9%
WCS 48.1%

His main problem seems to be getting out there and helping, then recovering. Sort of like Towns/Porzingis/WCS have potential to do. A team needs to design a scheme where he isn't moving too much out there, because in terms of playing his man close to the basket and defending the basket/rim, his D is solid. I recall his match up with Towns, he did really well on D. The issue will be S/R D and if you can draw Okafor out.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Here's overall defensive FG percentage of man D (Anywhere on court - perimeter guys included in this as well)

Towns 37.2% (Awesome)
Winslow 39.4% (man D hype justified and proven)
Porzingis 42.4%
Okafor 43.7%
Mudiay 44%
WCS 45.9%
Russell 48.9%

For example comparison sake - someone like Greg Monroe a notoriously good O player but bad D guy is at 54% for the season. The stats are really surprising to me. Russell's man D looked good at first glance, but his man D has been pretty poor statistically.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 89, 90, 91  Next
Page 35 of 91
Jump to: