How ridiculously good is Curry?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: How ridiculously good is Curry?

He opened the season with 40 25 53 shooting the lights out.
He may already be the best shooter in league history.
If the warriors do a good job with this core, they might be able to squeeze 1 or 2 more championships out of them, and there is good reason to think that they might, because they have a very intelligent ownership, guided by West.

Where might Curry end up in all time player rankings?
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject:

He's up there. When all is said and done, barring major injury, he may end up as top 10 all-time.

To me he looks like he's gotten even better than the was last year. (yes. Small sample size so far)
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
He's up there. When all is said and done, barring major injury, he may end up as top 10 all-time.

To me he looks like he's gotten even better than the was last year. (yes. Small sample size so far)

I think the improvement paying most dividends is in the mental department. He's looser. And don't doubt how much of a factor this is with a shooter - I think this is proven by him having a couple too many off games last playoffs, and Klay playing like a shell of himself - the mental aspect is huge for shooters.

Curry is as loose and confident as ever. He won a ring, all the pressure's off him, he's exceeded expectations for his career.

On a side note, he's one of the most exciting players of all time. He's becoming something of an icon. it's awesome.
I agree that he could go down as one of the best ever.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

Best shooter I've ever seen.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

Him and that team just keep getting lucky!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

!...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

Not as good as Westbrook.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Westbrook went to my high school so I roll with him but he doesn't even come close to having the skill Curry has. He's an athletic freak though.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

(bleep) good. That's how good he is.

Best pure shooter the NBA has ever seen.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Westbrook went to my high school so I roll with him but he doesn't even come close to having the skill Curry has. He's an athletic freak though.

Did you go at the same time as him?

Westbrook is also a monster defensively.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
defense wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Did you go at the same time as him?

Westbrook is also a monster defensively.

Westbrook is anything but a monster defensively.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Combine that with arguably the best handles in the game right now (on par with Irving), then you almost have an unguardable offensive force.
The best shooters in the past like Reggie, Ray Allen and Dale Ellis don't have a 10th of Curry's ballhandling skills.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Otherworldly.
I'm a fan.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

They might have to reduce the 3 to a 2.5 to slow him down.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

He's trippin right now. Just incredible.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Took him a few years to get going in the NBA. Gives me hope about DLo as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Combine that with arguably the best handles in the game right now (on par with Irving), then you almost have an unguardable offensive force.
The best shooters in the past like Reggie, Ray Allen and Dale Ellis don't have a 10th of Curry's ballhandling skills.

Agreed.

Above that, the shooters you listed had to be in correct form to get their shot off every time.

There are a handful of shots where the mechanics are just off and it just seems natural for him to "fling" the shot into the hoop.

The arm speed may change. The speed of the wrist flick may change. But the result is the same.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject:

man...i'm going to get hammered for this...

Curry is not the best shooter I've ever seen. I mean, it really depends on how you define shooter. We recently had the shooter vs scorer debate. I don't like the distinction, really. shooter, scorer whatever.

Before i get into it, i first want to say that I do think Curry is an incredible shooter and worthy of such a discussion. He's a different kind of shooter than his predecessors, and he is flourishing in a system designed to get him a lot of open looks. PLus, his herky-jerk moves are very good as well (NOT on Iverson level, for those thinking that). And he doesn't rely of gimmicks or officiating as much as some superstars today like Harden, Dwight, Lebron.

But...he is not the best shooter I've ever seen. He's not better than Kobe, Jordan. (I'll have to go back a rewatch some of the more recent games). How about Reggie Miller, Ray Allen? Ok, that's more of a discussion to me. And when we talk about Curry and shooting, we mostly mean threes. So as a 3-point shooter, yes, he MAY be the best I've ever seen, but it's not clear at the moment. That's basically a Curry vs. Allen vs. Miller discussion (which should include a handful of other names possibly, but those are currently considered the best). Now, someone like Kobe is not considered a great 3-point shooter, but he really is there. MJ is not because he avoided shooting the shot, but in his defense, it was frowned upon to shoot it then, and now it is encouraged to shoot it even on fast breaks. This is a drastically different attitude towards the three.

Now, for non 3point shots, Curry is for sure NOT the best ever at that. mid-range? That's going to go to one of the all time greatest evers like Jordan, or Kobe...people like that. Curry has a very fast shot. and he's kind of short vs other shooting guards. This means he is physically at a disadvantage for basketball when it comes to shooting. The ideal height is somewhere between 6'6" and 6'11". Curry makes up for it with his unique quick release. the downside is he doesn't get much lift. Ok, so what? well, it's fine if you're open. even kobe will shoot a low-hopper three if he's open. Well, it's a big deal because it means you have to be open to get the shot off. A true jump shooter can rise up over the defender, usually at around mid range, and just shoot it. We don't really see Curry do this. He has to either do a step back or a series of herky moves, or a series of screens from his teammates to get open. So this means we haven't really seen him rise up and shoot over guys a lot. So I can't say he's the best shooter ever because of this point. That is a very big deal. He's definitely up there for three point shooting. But not for shooting all around.

Also..."pure" shooter? what is that? silly term. there's no such thing as pure or non-pure.

and just for the record, with so much overhyping of everything these days, aren't we at least a little hesitant that what we see right now is the "best ever"? It's just hype. There are very few things I'm seeing in the NBA regarding individual players that I consider the "best ever" at this point. The game has changed so much. We have for sure moved away from the great superstar individual player...to a more team -oriented approach mostly due to the recent zone rules. Back before zone rules, it was easier for the individual to display his supreme skill sets. So just given that alone Curry, even if he is the best, wouldn't be able to show it because of the style today. What he's shown is not the best in history. The only "best evers" that I've seen in the past 5-10 years is some stuff Kobe has done, definitely the various three point shooting achievements. Not much else. not defense, not dunking, not blocking, not scoring, posting, etc. all these individual skills were demonstrated much more skillfully in the past with the past rules than now.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Yes you are hammered.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

You beat me to it! I was gonna say the same thing.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Curry is not the best shooter I've ever seen. I mean, it really depends on how you define shooter. We recently had the shooter vs scorer debate. I don't like the distinction, really. shooter, scorer whatever.

Before i get into it, i first want to say that I do think Curry is an incredible shooter and worthy of such a discussion. He's a different kind of shooter than his predecessors, and he is flourishing in a system designed to get him a lot of open looks. PLus, his herky-jerk moves are very good as well (NOT on Iverson level, for those thinking that). And he doesn't rely of gimmicks or officiating as much as some superstars today like Harden, Dwight, Lebron.

But...he is not the best shooter I've ever seen. He's not better than Kobe, Jordan. (I'll have to go back a rewatch some of the more recent games). How about Reggie Miller, Ray Allen? Ok, that's more of a discussion to me. And when we talk about Curry and shooting, we mostly mean threes. So as a 3-point shooter, yes, he MAY be the best I've ever seen, but it's not clear at the moment. That's basically a Curry vs. Allen vs. Miller discussion (which should include a handful of other names possibly, but those are currently considered the best). Now, someone like Kobe is not considered a great 3-point shooter, but he really is there. MJ is not because he avoided shooting the shot, but in his defense, it was frowned upon to shoot it then, and now it is encouraged to shoot it even on fast breaks. This is a drastically different attitude towards the three.

Now, for non 3point shots, Curry is for sure NOT the best ever at that. mid-range? That's going to go to one of the all time greatest evers like Jordan, or Kobe...people like that. Curry has a very fast shot. and he's kind of short vs other shooting guards. This means he is physically at a disadvantage for basketball when it comes to shooting. The ideal height is somewhere between 6'6" and 6'11". Curry makes up for it with his unique quick release. the downside is he doesn't get much lift. Ok, so what? well, it's fine if you're open. even kobe will shoot a low-hopper three if he's open. Well, it's a big deal because it means you have to be open to get the shot off. A true jump shooter can rise up over the defender, usually at around mid range, and just shoot it. We don't really see Curry do this. He has to either do a step back or a series of herky moves, or a series of screens from his teammates to get open. So this means we haven't really seen him rise up and shoot over guys a lot. So I can't say he's the best shooter ever because of this point. That is a very big deal. He's definitely up there for three point shooting. But not for shooting all around.

Also..."pure" shooter? what is that? silly term. there's no such thing as pure or non-pure.

and just for the record, with so much overhyping of everything these days, aren't we at least a little hesitant that what we see right now is the "best ever"? It's just hype. There are very few things I'm seeing in the NBA regarding individual players that I consider the "best ever" at this point. The game has changed so much. We have for sure moved away from the great superstar individual player...to a more team -oriented approach mostly due to the recent zone rules. Back before zone rules, it was easier for the individual to display his supreme skill sets. So just given that alone Curry, even if he is the best, wouldn't be able to show it because of the style today. What he's shown is not the best in history. The only "best evers" that I've seen in the past 5-10 years is some stuff Kobe has done, definitely the various three point shooting achievements. Not much else. not defense, not dunking, not blocking, not scoring, posting, etc. all these individual skills were demonstrated much more skillfully in the past with the past rules than now.

Jibba, jabbah...

Yes, you should get hammered for this.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:

Lol you really hate to see anyone other than Kobe get praised for anything.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

Top 10 all-time?? Depending on who you ask, 1 or 2 of the following players are on the outside looking in of the top 10:

Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Dream
Big O
LeBron

Curry ain't that good....
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

Lol you really hate to see anyone other than Kobe get praised for anything.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

He's in his prime now...best player in the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: