How ridiculously good is Curry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
spaldingLA wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
He struggles with the double though. He get's so many looks in transition and off offensive rebounds and loose ball situations. This all a testament to his team. Half court sets, again, picks and double picks to shake his man.

You guys remember how teams used to double Kobe at half court. Steph doesn't face that, yet... but it's tough for team defenses to ignore the other threats the dubs have on the court. Their team make-up right now is producing the by-product we're witnessing on the court today.

Thanks. This is the point I am trying to make, too.

His shooting is fantastic so far in his career. Kobe was getting double teamed like that when his teammates were proven to be highly unreliable...i mean, even we joke about the smush/kwame years. Curry has Thompson (who is just about the level of shooter Curry is), and the other guys, including the forwards, are very good shooters also. Their system is also pretty brilliant, it's a smooth running machine right now (very admirable by the way, from a Laker fans perspective). But what I don't do, and what I'm going to always argue against people is attributing ALL of these things to Curry. He is not that good. That's Kobe level, or MJ level, and I'm telling you he is not there.

Worthy42 made the point above. When he consistently plays great with the double teams in a way where he gets the credit (not the team or the system), then we can consider him amongst the greatest ever. Right now, he is a great player, who has great teammates, and possibly an even better system, and he is getting world-class hype. Has he proven anything to be considered among the greats? nope. only in three point shooting statistics is he great. Other than that, right now, to me, all he is is this era's reggie miller or ray allen. He is not this era's kobe, or mj, or magic, or bird. not yet. he has the potential.

Stop listing Kobe with people who can actually shoot 50% over the course of a season. Holy (bleep). Kobe is nowhere near as good as MJ. He's not even as good as Magic or Bird, who you also hilariously overrate. You also greatly, hilariously exagerrate how much Kobe has been doubled throughout his career. Teams get away with doubling him because he still tries to shoot over them. Teams don't double Lebron as much becuase he WILL find the open man. Better basketball. But still, you're exaggerating how much he gets doubled. I do not agree with your opinion.

Lebron, Shaq, Durant, Duncan, and now Steph are all way better than Kobe, like it's not even debatable. Every single player I listed was clearly more dominant in their respective primes than Kobe was in his.

Wow who let the troll in? I'm sorry but only player you listed being better than Kobe at his best is Shaq and maybe Lebron that's it nobody else is close. Why hold Kobe not shooting 50% against him? You know 45% is still good and only difference of few makes but go ahead and continue to ignore context that fits your agenda.

Agreed

It's really disrespectful to say to put curry/durant ahead of Kobe at this point, given what they've accomplished so far. Curry is making the right steps though...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:
Lol on this Facebook page I'm on, there is an overwhelming majority opinion that Iverson in his prime is a better player than current steph curry and a one on one game AI would win handily. I laugh at how ridiculous this is, then someone even said he led the 76ers to the finals in a "stacked east"

I actually do think Iverson would beat Curry one on one in their primes. But NBA basketball isn't a one on one sport, and in a team concept Curry is much better. Iverson was a crazy special talent though. He could have gone down in history as by far the best point guard in history if he cared. Dude didn't bother to train, drank like a fish and ate like crap before and during games, never worked out in the off season, and still kicked ass. Seriously, it was reported that he basically never ran or trained seriously in the weight room and he still blew people away for most of his physical prime with his athleticism. Just one of those rare uber athletes who never needed to work to be insanely good at basketball. He squandered his ability and never achieved the success he could have if he had any sort of discipline.

Link to his diet/training?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:
Lol on this Facebook page I'm on, there is an overwhelming majority opinion that Iverson in his prime is a better player than current steph curry and a one on one game AI would win handily. I laugh at how ridiculous this is, then someone even said he led the 76ers to the finals in a "stacked east"

I actually do think Iverson would beat Curry one on one in their primes. But NBA basketball isn't a one on one sport, and in a team concept Curry is much better. Iverson was a crazy special talent though. He could have gone down in history as by far the best point guard in history if he cared. Dude didn't bother to train, drank like a fish and ate like crap before and during games, never worked out in the off season, and still kicked ass. Seriously, it was reported that he basically never ran or trained seriously in the weight room and he still blew people away for most of his physical prime with his athleticism. Just one of those rare uber athletes who never needed to work to be insanely good at basketball. He squandered his ability and never achieved the success he could have if he had any sort of discipline.

Yeah, it's kinda funny. Even if we take mhan00's diet/exercise accusations at face value (and OK, let's do that), I know we should also be very unconvinced that his conclusions are not close to what most league observers think. Just a quick look:

"squandered his talent"
Yeah, if squandering talent means garnering a sure-fire Naismith HoF legacy, the RoY award, a league MVP, multiple All-NBA namings, a scoring title, and All America status, someone lost track of what squandering really means. Could he have been a slightly better player ? Perhaps, sure but let's say that's true of anyone.

"never achieved the success he could have had"
Really ? Cripes. If the proof is in the potential success in all those great rosters he was on (cough, cough, the ones that he could have carried further and won titles with, and made championship series pushes through), just which rosters were those ? None, those clubs were awfully devoid of championship caliber talent, throughout Iverson's career.
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Money23 wrote:
yeah a lot of you guys dont watch curry as much here hes really great, hes changing the way basketball is being played

Lol well shooting from distance sure last years Finals Curry was mediocre at best and got D up by Dellavedova he isn't changing anything especially historically GOAT shooter I'll give you that.

really dude or was it that the warriors showed inexperience aside from g2 he had a great series and he almost ran Dellavedova to death literally...

if you really think hes not changing the game thats really sad i know this is a lakers forum and Kobe is an all time great and we appreciate his greatness, well right now there is Greatness being displayed by Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors, sadly the homer glasses are still on SMH!

Last edited by Money23 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

His shooting ability is INSANE!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

Right now he's playing at a level I haven't seen a PG play at in the league in my 25+ years of watching NBA.

The question is if he can keep this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject:

Money23 wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
Money23 wrote:
yeah a lot of you guys dont watch curry as much here hes really great, hes changing the way basketball is being played

Lol well shooting from distance sure last years Finals Curry was mediocre at best and got D up by Dellavedova he isn't changing anything especially historically GOAT shooter I'll give you that.

really dude or was it that the warriors showed inexperience aside from g2 he had a great series and he almost ran Dellavedova to death literally...

if you really think hes not changing the game thats really sad i know this is a lakers forum and Kobe is an all time great and we appreciate his greatness, well right there is Greatness being displayed by Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors, sadly the homer glasses are still on SMH!

I guess Curry's so good that his 26/6/5 on 58.5 TS% in the Finals last year was "mediocre" by his standards.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Right now he's playing at a level I haven't seen a PG play at in the league in my 25+ years of watching NBA.

He's almost unguardable, and the scary thing is that he knows it too.
That play last night during a loose ball and Green tapped the ball to him, took a step and converted the 3, was indicative how little space he needs.
And when Jordan had to guard him after a switch, you just know it would be a score, FG or FT.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Money23 wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
Money23 wrote:

if you really think hes not changing the game thats really sad i know this is a lakers forum and Kobe is an all time great and we appreciate his greatness, well right there is Greatness being displayed by Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors, sadly the homer glasses are still on SMH!

I guess Curry's so good that his 26/6/5 on 58.5 TS% in the Finals last year was "mediocre" by his standards.

He's so good that he scored 40 last night and felt he didn't play well. He's so good that I actually felt the same way, he was a bit off. The guy is indeed ridiculously good.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@tomhaberstroh 15m15 minutes ago
Just shared on @SportsCenter: take away Stephen Curry's 3s and he still averages more PPG than CP, Love and Wade.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He's almost unguardable, and the scary thing is that he knows it too.
That play last night during a loose ball and Green tapped the ball to him, took a step and converted the 3, was indicative how little space he needs.
And when Jordan had to guard him after a switch, you just know it would be a score, FG or FT.

He's getting into the "we should double team this guy on the perimeter just to get the ball out of his hands" territory, which is rarified air that I only remember happening to Kobe, LeBron, & Jordan with any regularity. The problem is that he ain't passing the ball to Smush Parker when that happens, so that's likely why we haven't seen that yet.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Money23 wrote:
Nightwalker wrote:
Money23 wrote:

Guess 39% from 3-point line is "mediocre" too. Curry is so good he's resetting the standard for mediocre.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

The Curry effect summed up in one sequence: https://streamable.com/ef30

And this is exactly what happened in the finals, but Igoudala got the FMVP for it.

SMH @ the voters.

His impact transcends the stat sheet... teams will literally send 2 to 3 defenders to stop him from getting that shot off.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
The Curry effect summed up in one sequence: https://streamable.com/ef30

And this is exactly what happened in the finals, but Igoudala got the FMVP for it.

SMH @ the voters.

His impact transcends the stat sheet... teams will literally send 2 to 3 defenders to stop him from getting that shot off.

LOL DeAndre was literally guarding nobody.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

How can anyone not give Curry his due at this point? Like I said before, he's a new archetype of player IMO
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject:

Anyone notice that Blake defended Curry well on a few possessions towards the end of that game.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda funny. Even if we take mhan00's diet/exercise accusations at face value (and OK, let's do that), I know we should also be very unconvinced that his conclusions are not close to what most league observers think. Just a quick look:

"squandered his talent"
Yeah, if squandering talent means garnering a sure-fire Naismith HoF legacy, the RoY award, a league MVP, multiple All-NBA namings, a scoring title, and All America status, someone lost track of what squandering really means. Could he have been a slightly better player ? Perhaps, sure but let's say that's true of anyone.

"never achieved the success he could have had"
Really ? Cripes. If the proof is in the potential success in all those great rosters he was on (cough, cough, the ones that he could have carried further and won titles with, and made championship series pushes through), just which rosters were those ? None, those clubs were awfully devoid of championship caliber talent, throughout Iverson's career.

I would agree that the concensus is Iverson squandered his talent, even though he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He never put much into practice, was a constant problem with coaches and teammates, and his skills started dissipating at an early age.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to see how a prime Payton, Rodman, Kobe, MJ or Cooper would've faired defensively against Curry...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

When the Warriors went down 23 I thought the Clippers had finally gotten over the first loss of a big lead. I fell asleep. When I woke I saw the Dubs were down 5 I asked myself what happened?

Every time the Clipps made a move the Dubs answered. They never had a look of defeat in their eyes. It was as though they knew they could win.

This team is not a one man show, they all contribute. Barbosa jacking 3's from the corner, Green making defensive plays and hitting 3's, Thompson coming alive when he needed to, this is a team.

Steph Curry is amazing. He puts up his jumper so quick and with such ease and sureness when it doesn't go it's like, what happened?

What's still overlooked is Golden State's defense. That's what came alive and brought home the bacon.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
I'd like to see how a prime Payton, Rodman, Kobe, MJ or Cooper would've faired defensively against Curry...

Payton would dominate him in the paint but Payton couldn't guard him either
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Rodman would fare badly, but a focused Kobe or MJ may stop him for some plays but not limit him. When he's hitting shots way beyond the 3 pt line, and the defender tightens up, he'll pass them by with his terrific handles (which is on par with Kyrie's).
The only knock on him right now is his carelessness with the ball with those lazy passes that lead to TO's. Otherwise he's just unstoppable. Of course having 4 teammates on the floor who all are capable of hitting 3's during crunch time helps.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Half of those guys mentioned have never even seen most of the dribble moves that Curry uses. Which is a big part of defending a ball handler. It's why A.I. shook Jordan his rookie year - that was something of a new type of crossover
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
When the Warriors went down 23 I thought the Clippers had finally gotten over the first loss of a big lead. I fell asleep. When I woke I saw the Dubs were down 5 I asked myself what happened?

Every time the Clipps made a move the Dubs answered. They never had a look of defeat in their eyes. It was as though they knew they could win.

This team is not a one man show, they all contribute. Barbosa jacking 3's from the corner, Green making defensive plays and hitting 3's, Thompson coming alive when he needed to, this is a team.

Steph Curry is amazing. He puts up his jumper so quick and with such ease and sureness when it doesn't go it's like, what happened?

What's still overlooked is Golden State's defense. That's what came alive and brought home the bacon.

I noticed it too. It was if they were lulling the Clips into a false sense of security. Its that championship swag & confidence. The Lakers, especially Showtime, had the same swag.

They put it on display against the Seattle SuperSonics in a playoff game in the 80's. Seattle, on their home court, went up by something like 29-30 points at the half. Lakers came out in the second half, chipped away little by little, then went for the jugular at the end. The whole stadium was in shock.

Still remember it, still love it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Depends on the rule set too. With hand checks, the dynamics change.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

That is actually true which shows how ridiculous his level is right now.

The guy is sensational, this is historic level play. Fun to watch also.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: