How ridiculously good is Curry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
He's up there. When all is said and done, barring major injury, he may end up as top 10 all-time.

To me he looks like he's gotten even better than the was last year. (yes. Small sample size so far)

Top 10 all-time?? Depending on who you ask, 1 or 2 of the following players are on the outside looking in of the top 10:

Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Dream
Big O
LeBron

Curry ain't that good....

Too early to say if he's that good. He really emerged as a superstar only last year and in the first few games of this year he's been amazing. If he has a great run over the next 4-5 years, he could pick up a few rings, and MVPs, and set some NBA records.

That's a lot of ifs. But if last season and the beginning of this season is a portent of things to come, I have no trouble imagining him bolting ahead of Oscar and Hakeem. In fact, I think Oscar has already dropped out of the all-time top 10 for most people.

Five years from now, we'll know.

We will discussing if a guy is the NEW Steph Curry, and arriving to the conclusion that Steph was so great, one must wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
I am watching the game vs the Clippers right now and he is unreal. Just amazing, the best shooter in the history of basketball off the dribble and arguably the best shooter of all time.

It feels like it's almost not fair to the other team. How do you beat a team when a guy is on fire like that?

You pray that the refs start calling all the illegal screens so you can at least have your defenders contest the shots.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Curry handle's are second best in the league and his shot is the first.

However, like Nash, I think Curry is really benefitting from the system at GSW.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject:

KyrieRubio wrote:

He's not really close to the best handles in the game, but then handles are only as valuable as how they add to your other skills. Dribbling the ball into some ridiculously off balance shot he can make is about his all world shooting, not his handles. Curry doesn't need to break down the defender because his shooting is that good.
KyrieRubio
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
KyrieRubio wrote:

He's not really close to the best handles in the game, but then handles are only as valuable as how they add to your other skills. Dribbling the ball into some ridiculously off balance shot he can make is about his all world shooting, not his handles. Curry doesn't need to break down the defender because his shooting is that good.

Outside of kyrie and a jamal, I do not see anyone with better handles.

A case could be made for Cp3 as well
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

2 pointers: 60%
3 pointers: 47%
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:
He struggles with the double though. He get's so many looks in transition and off offensive rebounds and loose ball situations. This all a testament to his team. Half court sets, again, picks and double picks to shake his man.

You guys remember how teams used to double Kobe at half court. Steph doesn't face that, yet... but it's tough for team defenses to ignore the other threats the dubs have on the court. Their team make-up right now is producing the by-product we're witnessing on the court today.

Thanks. This is the point I am trying to make, too.

His shooting is fantastic so far in his career. Kobe was getting double teamed like that when his teammates were proven to be highly unreliable...i mean, even we joke about the smush/kwame years. Curry has Thompson (who is just about the level of shooter Curry is), and the other guys, including the forwards, are very good shooters also. Their system is also pretty brilliant, it's a smooth running machine right now (very admirable by the way, from a Laker fans perspective). But what I don't do, and what I'm going to always argue against people is attributing ALL of these things to Curry. He is not that good. That's Kobe level, or MJ level, and I'm telling you he is not there.

Worthy42 made the point above. When he consistently plays great with the double teams in a way where he gets the credit (not the team or the system), then we can consider him amongst the greatest ever. Right now, he is a great player, who has great teammates, and possibly an even better system, and he is getting world-class hype. Has he proven anything to be considered among the greats? nope. only in three point shooting statistics is he great. Other than that, right now, to me, all he is is this era's reggie miller or ray allen. He is not this era's kobe, or mj, or magic, or bird. not yet. he has the potential.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
2 pointers: 60%
3 pointers: 47%

That is absolutely insane. And the shots he has been making have been absolutely crazy. If Kobe attempted those shots, he would have been crucified by media. But the thing about Steph is he makes those shots at a high clip.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject:

[quote="SuperboyReformed"]
Worthy42 wrote:
right now, to me, all he is is this era's reggie miller or ray allen. He is not this era's kobe, or mj, or magic, or bird. not yet. he has the potential.

Westbrook had a total of 4 20-point quarters then entire season last year.
10 games in, Steph already has 4 20-point quarters. He has more 3 pts. made than 4 other NBA teams this season. Ray or Reggie was never as prolific as that. The only guards that you can compare his offensive output to are GOAT type players like Kobe and MJ.

It is early, but I'm already comfortable to say that he's the best 3 point shooter the game has seen. By the way, he's also averaging 5 reb 5.6 ast 2.6 steals a game.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
He's up there. When all is said and done, barring major injury, he may end up as top 10 all-time.

To me he looks like he's gotten even better than the was last year. (yes. Small sample size so far)

Top 10 all-time?? Depending on who you ask, 1 or 2 of the following players are on the outside looking in of the top 10:

Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Dream
Big O
LeBron

Curry ain't that good....

Too early to say if he's that good. He really emerged as a superstar only last year and in the first few games of this year he's been amazing. If he has a great run over the next 4-5 years, he could pick up a few rings, and MVPs, and set some NBA records.

That's a lot of ifs. But if last season and the beginning of this season is a portent of things to come, I have no trouble imagining him bolting ahead of Oscar and Hakeem. In fact, I think Oscar has already dropped out of the all-time top 10 for most people.

Five years from now, we'll know.

We will discussing if a guy is the NEW Steph Curry, and arriving to the conclusion that Steph was so great, one must wait and see.

Perhaps it's sacrilegious to say this, but if Curry keeps this effort up from 27-34 and racks up a couple of titles and MVPs, I could see him surpassing Kobe and LeBron and perhaps even approaching Jordan in terms of all-time. He's just a different beast.

You can tell how good Curry is when comparing him to other "superstar" PGs like Westbrook. Sure the dude puts up insane numbers, but he doesn't do it with the efficiency and effortlessness that Curry does.

In fact I'm afraid to even call Curry a PG, he's more a positionless 1-3 who can kill pretty much any defender put in front of him with an insane triple threat repertoire. I've truly never seen anything like it. His domination of the game is like 2006-07 Kobe, but more efficient (man do I wish we had a decent team when Kobe was in his true prime).
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote="twisted"]
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
right now, to me, all he is is this era's reggie miller or ray allen. He is not this era's kobe, or mj, or magic, or bird. not yet. he has the potential.

Westbrook had a total of 4 20-point quarters then entire season last year.
10 games in, Steph already has 4 20-point quarters. He has more 3 pts. made than 4 other NBA teams this season. Ray or Reggie was never as prolific as that. The only guards that you can compare his offensive output to are GOAT type players like Kobe and MJ.

It is early, but I'm already comfortable to say that he's the best 3 point shooter the game has seen. By the way, he's also averaging 5 reb 5.6 ast 2.6 steals a game.

Plus I think it's safe to say Curry is already leagues ahead of Miller or Allen. Put Curry on the 2000 Pacers or 2010 Celtics instead of those two and you have a different series (2015 Curry might even be able to negate prime Shaq for a game or two).
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

He is making transition 3s easier than layup. Say if my life depended on; I will take Curry's wide open transition 3 over Metta/Fish's wide open transition layup.
spaldingLA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:
He struggles with the double though. He get's so many looks in transition and off offensive rebounds and loose ball situations. This all a testament to his team. Half court sets, again, picks and double picks to shake his man.

You guys remember how teams used to double Kobe at half court. Steph doesn't face that, yet... but it's tough for team defenses to ignore the other threats the dubs have on the court. Their team make-up right now is producing the by-product we're witnessing on the court today.

His shooting is fantastic so far in his career. Kobe was getting double teamed like that when his teammates were proven to be highly unreliable...i mean, even we joke about the smush/kwame years. Curry has Thompson (who is just about the level of shooter Curry is), and the other guys, including the forwards, are very good shooters also. Their system is also pretty brilliant, it's a smooth running machine right now (very admirable by the way, from a Laker fans perspective). But what I don't do, and what I'm going to always argue against people is attributing ALL of these things to Curry. He is not that good. That's Kobe level, or MJ level, and I'm telling you he is not there.

Worthy42 made the point above. When he consistently plays great with the double teams in a way where he gets the credit (not the team or the system), then we can consider him amongst the greatest ever. Right now, he is a great player, who has great teammates, and possibly an even better system, and he is getting world-class hype. Has he proven anything to be considered among the greats? nope. only in three point shooting statistics is he great. Other than that, right now, to me, all he is is this era's reggie miller or ray allen. He is not this era's kobe, or mj, or magic, or bird. not yet. he has the potential.

Stop listing Kobe with people who can actually shoot 50% over the course of a season. Holy (bleep). Kobe is nowhere near as good as MJ. He's not even as good as Magic or Bird, who you also hilariously overrate. You also greatly, hilariously exagerrate how much Kobe has been doubled throughout his career. Teams get away with doubling him because he still tries to shoot over them. Teams don't double Lebron as much becuase he WILL find the open man. Better basketball. But still, you're exaggerating how much he gets doubled. GTFO

Lebron, Shaq, Durant, Duncan, and now Steph are all way better than Kobe, like it's not even debatable. Every single player I listed was clearly more dominant in their respective primes than Kobe was in his.

Last edited by spaldingLA on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
spaldingLA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Ban superboyreformed for basketball crimes.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Lol on this Facebook page I'm on, there is an overwhelming majority opinion that Iverson in his prime is a better player than current steph curry and a one on one game AI would win handily. I laugh at how ridiculous this is, then someone even said he led the 76ers to the finals in a "stacked east"
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
Lol on this Facebook page I'm on, there is an overwhelming majority opinion that Iverson in his prime is a better player than current steph curry and a one on one game AI would win handily. I laugh at how ridiculous this is, then someone even said he led the 76ers to the finals in a "stacked east"

I actually do think Iverson would beat Curry one on one in their primes. But NBA basketball isn't a one on one sport, and in a team concept Curry is much better. Iverson was a crazy special talent though. He could have gone down in history as by far the best point guard in history if he cared. Dude didn't bother to train, drank like a fish and ate like crap before and during games, never worked out in the off season, and still kicked ass. Seriously, it was reported that he basically never ran or trained seriously in the weight room and he still blew people away for most of his physical prime with his athleticism. Just one of those rare uber athletes who never needed to work to be insanely good at basketball. He squandered his ability and never achieved the success he could have if he had any sort of discipline.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:08 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

I actually do think Iverson would beat Curry one on one in their primes. But NBA basketball isn't a one on one sport, and in a team concept Curry is much better. Iverson was a crazy special talent though. He could have gone down in history as by far the best point guard in history if he cared. Dude didn't bother to train, drank like a fish and ate like crap before and during games, never worked out in the off season, and still kicked ass. Seriously, it was reported that he basically never ran or trained seriously in the weight room and he still blew people away for most of his physical prime with his athleticism. Just one of those rare uber athletes who never needed to work to be insanely good at basketball.

He may not have bothered to run for training, but when he did decide to mess around with it, he ran a mile in 4:20. Just a genetic freak.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

I actually do think Iverson would beat Curry one on one in their primes. But NBA basketball isn't a one on one sport, and in a team concept Curry is much better. Iverson was a crazy special talent though. He could have gone down in history as by far the best point guard in history if he cared. Dude didn't bother to train, drank like a fish and ate like crap before and during games, never worked out in the off season, and still kicked ass. Seriously, it was reported that he basically never ran or trained seriously in the weight room and he still blew people away for most of his physical prime with his athleticism. Just one of those rare uber athletes who never needed to work to be insanely good at basketball.

He may not have bothered to run for training, but when he did decide to mess around with it, he ran a mile in 4:20. Just a genetic freak.

lol. wow.
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

Worthy42 wrote:

That is a strange take. I watch all Warriors games. One of my observations from last year was that I hadn't seen anyone get double teamed like Curry since Kobe's prime. Some teams were emulating the strategy the Clips used in the playoffs from the year before. Double Curry hard to get it out of his hands, and they have to do that very far out on the court because of his range. Curry got better and better at handling it last year. (Btw, they keep "gravity" statistics that confirm that Curry draws the most attention in the NBA.)

Part of the reason that Green became so important for the W's championship run is that he is the main outlet when Curry is doubled, and Green runs a 4 on 3 attacking the basket in the half court. Green is the only non-PG this year in the top 10 in apg, tied with Lillard at 7.1 apg.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

That is a strange take. I watch all Warriors games. One of my observations from last year was that I hadn't seen anyone get double teamed like Curry since Kobe's prime. Some teams were emulating the strategy the Clips used in the playoffs from the year before. Double Curry hard to get it out of his hands, and they have to do that very far out on the court because of his range. Curry got better and better at handling it last year. (Btw, they keep "gravity" statistics that confirm that Curry draws the most attention in the NBA.)

Part of the reason that Green became so important for the W's championship run is that he is the main outlet when Curry is doubled, and Green runs a 4 on 3 attacking the basket in the half court. Green is the only non-PG this year in the top 10 in apg, tied with Lillard at 7.1 apg.

Green is effectively the PG of that team.
Curry is playing like a shooting guard.
11.5 3PAs a game! And he makes over 5 a game!
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

spaldingLA wrote:

Stop listing Kobe with people who can actually shoot 50% over the course of a season. Holy (bleep). Kobe is nowhere near as good as MJ. He's not even as good as Magic or Bird, who you also hilariously overrate. You also greatly, hilariously exagerrate how much Kobe has been doubled throughout his career. Teams get away with doubling him because he still tries to shoot over them. Teams don't double Lebron as much becuase he WILL find the open man. Better basketball. But still, you're exaggerating how much he gets doubled. I do not agree with your opinion.

Lebron, Shaq, Durant, Duncan, and now Steph are all way better than Kobe, like it's not even debatable. Every single player I listed was clearly more dominant in their respective primes than Kobe was in his.

kobe is the most amazing living entity to ever grace the universe, way better than jesus, buddha, muhammad, aristotle, plato, like it's not even debatable. kobe was clearly more dominant in his respective prime than any of those other people were in theirs. hilariously, greatly overrated. hilarious.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject:

spaldingLA wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

Stop listing Kobe with people who can actually shoot 50% over the course of a season. Holy (bleep). Kobe is nowhere near as good as MJ. He's not even as good as Magic or Bird, who you also hilariously overrate. You also greatly, hilariously exagerrate how much Kobe has been doubled throughout his career. Teams get away with doubling him because he still tries to shoot over them. Teams don't double Lebron as much becuase he WILL find the open man. Better basketball. But still, you're exaggerating how much he gets doubled. I do not agree with your opinion.

Wow who let the troll in? I'm sorry but only player you listed being better than Kobe at his best is Shaq and maybe Lebron that's it nobody else is close. Why hold Kobe not shooting 50% against him? You know 45% is still good and only difference of few makes but go ahead and continue to ignore context that fits your agenda.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject:

MIZ83 wrote:
Worthy42 wrote:

That's wrong Kobe was more doubled even trouble teamed during his best years as individual player 06 and 07 he didn't half near the talent around him that Curry currently has. I've noticed Warriors do a lot of screens for Curry that wasn't case for Kobe what hurts Curry is his physical limitations he isn't very athletic nor fast or quick he can't finish or score as well attacking the basket in the line like Jordan or Kobe were able too do.
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

yeah a lot of you guys dont watch curry as much here hes really great, hes changing the way basketball is being played
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Money23 wrote:
yeah a lot of you guys dont watch curry as much here hes really great, hes changing the way basketball is being played

Lol well shooting from distance sure last years Finals Curry was mediocre at best and got D up by Dellavedova he isn't changing anything especially historically GOAT shooter I'll give you that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: