Why is everyone mad at Mitch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Why is everyone mad at Mitch?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Jerry Buss came out and publically said it was his decision to trade Shaq for Odom, Bulter and Grant. Jerry made it clear it was his decision and Phil, Mitch or Kobe had anything to do with it.

Jim Buss was tooting his horn after the draft and during preseason. We all heard Jim on the Loose Canon talking about how he learned from the best, Jerry West. Jim made it clear he was the man who would be making the decisions but keeping his dad informed. Jim made it clear he wanted Bynum rather than a player who could help now. Jim also made it impossible to get Artest, regardless of Phil Jackson's desires.

Speaking of Phil Jackson, in case anyone forgot, he is the one making $10 million per year. Not Mitch. Phil Jackson has more to do with the Lakers success and failures than Mitch. Even after Phil's tell-all book that ripped the organization and Kobe, Jerry Buss still made Phil the highest paid coach in the league. Jerry Buss isn't going to make Phil Jackson the highest paid coach and not give him final say over Mitch.

This isn't a Mitch issue. Mitch's job is to get deals done with the players and trades that he has available after the Buss family and Jackson approve them. That's it. Mitch is a pawn. Nothing more.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is labled as the GM. Regardless of who makes the final decisions or not, he still labeled as the gm. If hes hired just to be the "pawn" then why shouldnt we get mad at him? Hes being paid for being it.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is the evil henchman who is out to destroy our chances at success, apparently.

^^ Farmar

iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Mitch is labled as the GM. Regardless of who makes the final decisions or not, he still labeled as the gm. If hes hired just to be the "pawn" then why shouldnt we get mad at him? Hes being paid for being it.

Phil Jackson rips the Lakers and Kobe, then he is hired back has the highest paid coach. Yet nobody dares put any of this blame on him for the Shaq trade or this season.

In sports, the head coach deserves the majority of the blame for failure and praise for success. The buck stops with Phil Jackson as the head coach. Phil got his due after every championship.

Phil deserves his due after this terrible start to a season! I've yet to hear Jackson own up to this season. Instead, he takes his back-hand jabs through the media at Kobe shooting too much, Odom not being agressive or not having enough talent. Well...do something about it Phil.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Buss is too busy working on his sorry ass poker game
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Phil Jackson rips the Lakers and Kobe, then he is hired back has the highest paid coach. Yet nobody dares put any of this blame on him for the Shaq trade or this season.

In sports, the head coach deserves the majority of the blame for failure and praise for success. The buck stops with Phil Jackson as the head coach. Phil got his due after every championship.

Phil deserves his due after this terrible start to a season! I've yet to hear Jackson own up to this season. Instead, he takes his back-hand jabs through the media at Kobe shooting too much, Odom not being agressive or not having enough talent. Well...do something about it Phil.

fans know, their better off with Phil than any other coach. Phil is doing his best to get what he can out of these "scrubs" and truthfully he isnt doing that bad of a job. Were still 2games over .500. Thats more we could probably say about any other coach. Any other coach would of probably resigned after seeing seeing Smush and Sasha as their point guards.
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

"He practiced against Kobe all of last year, so obviously it was sweet revenge for him," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "We deserved that. We didn't know who he was, we gave him up to Charlotte, we had no idea how good a player he was." - seattlepi.com.

It seems phil's not too happy with managements decision.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Mitch catches flak unfairly for many of Dr. Buss' decisions. I don't think Mitch is an awful GM, but I get the feeling that he's not man enough to stand up to the Buss family either. Too many shortsighted moves were made during the Shaq period to maximize short-term cash flow. Now were supposed to sit patiently while the same management team makes a long-term plan.

The saddest part is that when we land career scrubs like J. Jones and L. Profit, they become integral role players on our team. That speaks volumes as to the quality of our team. And when we save a few bucks by terminating Devean's contract early, or trading K. Rush for second round picks, it blows up the the franchise's face. It all reeks of shortsighted management, and yet we are now being held hostage to a nebulous long-term plan.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:

aiel wrote:
"He practiced against Kobe all of last year, so obviously it was sweet revenge for him," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "We deserved that. We didn't know who he was, we gave him up to Charlotte, we had no idea how good a player he was." - seattlepi.com.

Not really, instead of saying "we", Phil should be saying "me". For the record, this is the only game this season where trading Jones will be an issue. He isn't that good.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
aiel wrote:

Not really, instead of saying "we", Phil should be saying "me". For the record, this is the only game this season where trading Jones will be an issue. He isn't that good.

We all knew what JJ was all about. Hustle, heart and the occasional 3. Phil didn't like him, Mitch traded him.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

We all knew what JJ was all about. Hustle, heart and the occasional 3. Phil didn't like him, Mitch traded him.

Well said. I think Phil didn't believe that Jones could be a good triangle player. I'm not sure he was wrong.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Well said. I think Phil didn't believe that Jones could be a good triangle player. I'm not sure he was wrong.

Probably, but what bothers me is that we took guys we are not even using or are not even useful. Mckie, Green and even Slava.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject:

I think Green could be a pretty good triangle player. I haven't seen him enough to judge his defense.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Mitch wasted the MLE for 2 seasons in a row. Byebye Divac and we have yet to say hello to McKie.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Mitch wasted the MLE for 2 seasons in a row. Byebye Divac and we have yet to say hello to McKie.

yeah but we still will be under the cap in 2007.

anyways, they don't care about now, they have the most popular team in the nba.

finally, the clippers will have a better record than the lakers for the second year in a row.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:

I'm not, so it not everyone.
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject:

aiel wrote:

Would you be with this (bleep) team?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Mitch catches flak unfairly for many of Dr. Buss' decisions. I don't think Mitch is an awful GM, but I get the feeling that he's not man enough to stand up to the Buss family either. Too many shortsighted moves were made during the Shaq period to maximize short-term cash flow. Now were supposed to sit patiently while the same management team makes a long-term plan.

The saddest part is that when we land career scrubs like J. Jones and L. Profit, they become integral role players on our team. That speaks volumes as to the quality of our team. And when we save a few bucks by terminating Devean's contract early, or trading K. Rush for second round picks, it blows up the the franchise's face. It all reeks of shortsighted management, and yet we are now being held hostage to a nebulous long-term plan.

Let's not forget, Jerry West left LA because he was sick and tired of the Buss family trying to call the shots even though he knew more about the game and the players than they would ever know. Jerry West wasn't sick of being GM or he would have jumped right back into it. Jerry West was the nice guy and made up the excuse that the stress was too painful since he loved the Lakers so much. Jerry West had just signed Shaq, traded for Kobe and drafted Fish. There was no stress while these guys were all on the team.

If Jerry West didn't want any part of the Buss family, imagine how difficult it must be for Mitch to make any moves he feels will better the team.
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:

you have to admit... The buss Family wants to win!!! and they will do anything to get to the top again. The Lakers will not turn into the celtics and eventually Jerry west will retire. SO this is a good learning part on both sides.

However, I disagree on blowing 3 seasons to get cap room. ABsoultely ridiculous!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Mitch is someone that follows instructions really well. On his own vision, it's hard to really say if he has a good one or not.

I think he makes very good moves for the future. I mean all his trades and aquisitions these past two years have been with the future in mind.

Bigmen
Andrew Bynum - 18 year old Center that has shown great talent
Chris Mihm - Young Center on the rise
Kwame Brown - Project Bigman
Ronny Turiaf - Energy PF that is expected to bring a Mark Madsen dynamic with more athletecism
Brian Cook - Shooting PF that extend defenses

Backcourt
Smush Parker - SPL pickup that is starting for the Lakers
Sasha Vujacic - Young guard that's still learning the game on both ends
Devin Green - Rookie that's shown good athletecism and was another SPL pickup
Von Wafer - Scoring guard that light up SPL

While you can say all of those players are not All-Stars or even really, really good - they have been aquired with the mindset to get better in the future.

Moving forward. That's the plan. Get a good FA in 2007 or 2008 and you can fill out the roster with some of those players for cheap.

We may hate that 8-10 players on this roster are unproven scrubs, but in 2 years if 2-3 of those scrubs develop - we will be really happy with the overall roster considering the FA money to aquire another superstar.

Anyway, let's see what happens. I think Mitch doesn't care much about today as he does 2 years from now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
However, I disagree on blowing 3 seasons to get cap room. ABsoultely ridiculous!!!

They are also developping young players on rookie deals during that time. We should consider that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Jones would struggle scoring off of picks that George likes hitting but JJ was one of our best players last season at moving without the ball. JJ is a smarter player than hes given credit for.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakerFan4Lyfe wrote:
you have to admit... The buss Family wants to win!!! and they will do anything to get to the top again. The Lakers will not turn into the celtics and eventually Jerry west will retire. SO this is a good learning part on both sides.

Jerry Buss took a hands-on approach and built two Laker dynasties. Nobody can doubt what Jerry Buss is capable of with his history of success.

However, what is concerning is that Jerry Buss has distanced himself and is no longer taking his normal hands-on approach. Now his kids are running the show, specifically Jim Buss.

So far, Jim Buss hasn’t done anything that indicates he’ll have the same success as his father. Too many times, the kids who get daddies hard work usually screw it up. That’s one of the biggest concerns right now.

Who’s in charge and are they capable? It doesn’t seem to be Mitch or Phil. If Mitch had the final say, it would be safe to say he wouldn't have hired Phil back. If Phil had the final say, it would be safe to say Bynum would not have been drafted and Artest would now be a Laker.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

Let's not forget,

you sure are good at forgetting and making up crap that isnt true.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Mitch is responsible for his crappy drafts and the CRAP trade for shaq.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: