OFFICIAL FRONT OFFICE DISCUSSION & P&M THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I don't wander into this thread very often but I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from personal insults. Thanks.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:
Jerry West >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mitch Kupchak

West set Kupvhsk up with Kobe and Shaq, Phil came in and won a bunch of championships that Jimbo and Kupchak take credit for, and now they are left alone and are the worst performing executives in the NBA.

West leaves, gets good results in Memphis, works a deal with Kup to trade Marc Gasol for Pau... then leaves Memphis to go up to Golden State to help them out there.

Meanwhile, Kupchak sits down in LA and helps to drive this franchise into the ground. Mike Brown, unanimous hire, was horrible. Bernie Bickerstaff takes over and he's doing great. But Kupchak and clown rush him away for a limping, medicated Mike D'Antoni who runs our star free agent away (Dwight Howard) plays Kobe 42+ minutes until he breaks, throws every player under the bus until Pau Gasol leaves our team for half pay somewhere else... simply horrible decisions all around with nothing back in return. Another unanimous hire in Byron Scott who is a mediocre coach at best...

So, without Jerry West and Phil Jackson, Kupchak is now proven a perennial loser.

Last part was a little harsh, but I agree with this post.

I give him credit for the Gasol trade and getting Howard, but everything after has been pretty, pretty, pretty bad.

I don't think he has the tact to get the Buss children to do what's best for the franchise. Think about the rebuild West pulled off after Magic left. He drafted size, speed and put an exciting product on the floor. The blueprint was there for Kupchak, yet he brings in undersized and/or slow players that have no upside. Plus, we had similar players already on roster. But I guess we were desperate at that point after the LMA and other FA embarrassments.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:

West set Kupvhsk up with Kobe and Shaq, Phil came in and won a bunch of championships that Jimbo and Kupchak take credit for, and now they are left alone and are the worst performing executives in the NBA.

West leaves, gets good results in Memphis, works a deal with Kup to trade Marc Gasol for Pau... then leaves Memphis to go up to Golden State to help them out there.

Meanwhile, Kupchak sits down in LA and helps to drive this franchise into the ground. Mike Brown, unanimous hire, was horrible. Bernie Bickerstaff takes over and he's doing great. But Kupchak and clown rush him away for a limping, medicated Mike D'Antoni who runs our star free agent away (Dwight Howard) plays Kobe 42+ minutes until he breaks, throws every player under the bus until Pau Gasol leaves our team for half pay somewhere else... simply horrible decisions all around with nothing back in return. Another unanimous hire in Byron Scott who is a mediocre coach at best...

So, without Jerry West and Phil Jackson, Kupchak is now proven a perennial loser.

A perennial loser is someone who has never won. The clippers, kings and suns are perennial loser. They never won anything. The Knicks are perennial loser.

Kupchak made specific moves which helped this team win two more championships after Shaq was traded.

When Shaq was traded, I was pissed off but Kupchak took out his magic wand and got Gasol. Kupchak brought Ariza and then MWP. He also got us Howard. The lakers went to the finals 3 times and won 2.

That is impressive. That is not the work of a perennial loser.
mugwump
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

A perennial loser is someone who has never won. The clippers, kings and suns are perennial loser. They never won anything. The Knicks are perennial loser... That is impressive. That is not the work of a perennial loser.

Without help from Jerry West and Phil Jackson, Mitch Kupchak is a perennial loser. We are experiencing this right now. I hope he can prove this wrong
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:
laker4life wrote:

A perennial loser is someone who has never won. The clippers, kings and suns are perennial loser. They never won anything. The Knicks are perennial loser... That is impressive. That is not the work of a perennial loser.

Without help from Jerry West and Phil Jackson, Mitch Kupchak is a perennial loser. We are experiencing this right now. I hope he can prove this wrong

So now Kobe Bryant is a perennial loser as well?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

Between getting Pau for peanuts, drafting Bynum, trading God-knows-who for Ariza, architecting the Chris Paul and Dwight Howard trades (possibly the Steve Nash trade based on your angle), as well as drafting decently (jury's out on them but Clarkson and maybe Nance seem to be good value for their deals) I don't see Mitch as a bad GM at all.

That said, the coaching hires have been disastrous, though I'm not convinced Byron Scott was Mitch's first choice but rather due to pressure from Jeanie and/or Jim. Can't blame him for free agency whiffs with Kobe's contract.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:

for the bolded.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject:

The problem with the coaching hires stem from the kids (more Jim, but probably also Jeanie when she doesn't have the Phil goggles on) holding their father as the gold standard on all ownership matters. Jerry was a brilliant owner, but his impulsive coaching hires is not something to be emulated, even if he managed to strike gold twice.

Hiring a coach is something they should be as rigorous with as with their draft scouting. That the Buss family voted in a committee on the Byron hiring tells me that a lot of it was based on superficial reasoning.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
The problem with the coaching hires stem from the kids (more Jim, but probably also Jeanie when she doesn't have the Phil goggles on) holding their father as the gold standard on all ownership matters. Jerry was a brilliant owner, but his impulsive coaching hires is not something to be emulated, even if he managed to strike gold twice.

Hiring a coach is something they should be as rigorous with as with their draft scouting. That the Buss family voted in a committee on the Byron hiring tells me that a lot of it was based on superficial reasoning.

My fear as well. That's why i'm such a big proponent of Luke. An up-to-date coach that can get the committee votes. Not a lot of those around.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

Wonder what asleep at switch mitch doing. He already wasted kobes prime surrounding him with smush, kwame and mihms of the world. He got us Pau but he did give up an all NBA player and DPOY. He is lucky kobe is a top 10 player of all time cuz hes done a horrible job surrounding this team with talent. No reason we couldnt be like the spurs and rebuilt while still being contenders.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
mugwump wrote:

A perennial loser is someone who has never won. The clippers, kings and suns are perennial loser. They never won anything. The Knicks are perennial loser.

Kupchak made specific moves which helped this team win two more championships after Shaq was traded.

When Shaq was traded, I was pissed off but Kupchak took out his magic wand and got Gasol. Kupchak brought Ariza and then MWP. He also got us Howard. The lakers went to the finals 3 times and won 2.

Kupchak also made moves after West left that won two more titles.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

mugwump wrote:
laker4life wrote:

It has already been proven, who the hell do you think signed Phil Jackson? Mitch has his hands on 4 title, you can make up things to disparage that as much as you want, but it is the truth. Using that convoluted logic, Jerry West was only successful because of Jerry Buss' money, that is what got Shaq here.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Im looking at the front office and I'm thinking to myself, "these r the guys im supposed to trust to bring us the next championship?" I really don't have any faith in the fo right now. Most of those guys have no business being in the positions they are in and are only there due to seniority and being next in line. The greatest basketball mind in the fo right now is mitch Kupchak. No disrespect to mitch but he's no pjax or jerry west, or even magic. He is what he is, a general manager but honestly he would be best served making trades, acquiring talent via free agency only, not responsible for putting together a vision for the team. He doesn't strike me as a visionary Ala west, pjax, or riley.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Really? That CP3 trade lacked vision? The problem with most fans is they have no idea what goes on in the front office so they just make up their own narrative. Mitch has won 4 titles in 14 seasons. Magic has won 0 and shown he was a complete failure trying to coach the Lakers. I really try to understand where people are coming from, but there are too many times there is no rhyme or reason, no thought behind what is being posted.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Really? That CP3 trade lacked vision? The problem with most fans is they have no idea what goes on in the front office so they just make up their own narrative. Mitch has won 4 titles in 14 seasons. Magic has won 0 and shown he was a complete failure trying to coach the Lakers. I really try to understand where people are coming from, but there are too many times there is no rhyme or reason, no thought behind what is being posted.

Cp3 trade is a great TRADE which is what I said mitch is good at. Not a visionary movement though. The vision of the triangle culture was moreso started by west and pjax and just carried on by mitch but what has mitch done since the triangle culture fell apart? We can talk all this about great POTENTIAL moves he made like dwight, nash, cp3 but has he really built anything from scratch and be successful with it by completing the puzzle? Mda hire, mike brown hire? Where's the vision followed by successful execution? The triangle culture chips was the vision started by west by bringing in phil to complement shaq n kobe as well as the triangle players. mitch just carried that on with wests help in acquiring pau. West went to memphis and gsw and established a vision there too. Same with riley. Mitch is a good gm but I think he needs a visionary by his side like a consultant of some sort.

Really? No thought? Calm down with ur self righteous judgment on other people's opinions. As if u know what goes on in the front office?
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Cp3 trade is a great TRADE which is what I said mitch is good at. Not a visionary movement though. The vision of the triangle culture was moreso started by west and pjax and just carried on by mitch but what has mitch done since the triangle culture fell apart? We can talk all this about great POTENTIAL moves he made like dwight, nash, cp3 but has he really built anything from scratch and be successful with it by completing the puzzle? Mda hire, mike brown hire? Where's the vision followed by successful execution? The triangle culture chips was the vision started by west by bringing in phil to complement shaq n kobe as well as the triangle players. mitch just carried that on with wests help in acquiring pau. West went to memphis and gsw and established a vision there too. Same with riley. Mitch is a good gm but I think he needs a visionary by his side like a consultant of some sort.

Really? No thought? Calm down with ur self righteous judgment on other people's opinions. As if u know what goes on in the front office?

Could you define the "triangle culture". If you're talking about that offensive philosophy, I really haven't seen it implemented anywhere else except maybe bits and pieces? If you're talking about the players needed for that offense, Kobe and Shaq was pretty famous for having a feud when they played together. So I'm not sure what you really mean by that. I ambivalent about Mitch's lack of vision. We won't really know if he can put a team together by scratch for another couple of years since it seems like he's focusing on the kids as a result of striking out with the top free agents. But it was intentional on his end that all the expensive contracts were ending last year or this year so they could reload on Durant, LaMarcus and Westbrook. But thats me, I dont really expect the immediate turn around and willing to put up with the current roster (but not the coach) to see if its actually going somewhere.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
laker4life wrote:
mugwump wrote:

Kupchak also made moves after West left that won two more titles.

Yup. Mitch 2 - West 1

If the CP3 trade went through, things would have been completely different.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Yumyumcha wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Could you define the "triangle culture". If you're talking about that offensive philosophy, I really haven't seen it implemented anywhere else except maybe bits and pieces? If you're talking about the players needed for that offense, Kobe and Shaq was pretty famous for having a feud when they played together. So I'm not sure what you really mean by that. I ambivalent about Mitch's lack of vision. We won't really know if he can put a team together by scratch for another couple of years since it seems like he's focusing on the kids as a result of striking out with the top free agents. But it was intentional on his end that all the expensive contracts were ending last year or this year so they could reload on Durant, LaMarcus and Westbrook. But thats me, I dont really expect the immediate turn around and willing to put up with the current roster (but not the coach) to see if its actually going somewhere.

Hoping to land a prize free agent is not being a visionary. It's borderline delusional to think a Durant, or any other superstar, will be willing to come to a rebuilding team. We have a crap, uneven roster, mediocre coaching, questionable management, and the Buss kids, who are waging a public power struggle. Superstars don't go to situations like that.

In a couple years, if the young players develop, we might be able to land a superstar in FA. Not next season. My biggest fear is we are going to court the Durants of the world and miss out on younger veterans with upside that would love the spotlight being a Laker brings.

Clearing cap space was good by Mitch. Unfortunately, he cleared cap space during a time when all teams will have cap space. So our advantage there is neutralized. With no clear monetary advantage, what will he be selling? With a losing team, with a bad coach, it looks like our pitch to next years FAs will be the same one we gave LMA. And it'll probably yield the same results.

We need to get a coach and accumulate young veterans who haven't peaked. From there, Mitch can work his trade magic and land superstars. Would love to get Durant. Great player. He's not coming though. If we are putting all of our eggs in the superstar FA basket, our management is delusional.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

botox wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Hoping to land a prize free agent is not being a visionary. It's borderline delusional to think a Durant, or any other superstar, will be willing to come to a rebuilding team. We have a crap, uneven roster, mediocre coaching, questionable management, and the Buss kids, who are waging a public power struggle. Superstars don't go to situations like that.

In a couple years, if the young players develop, we might be able to land a superstar in FA. Not next season. My biggest fear is we are going to court the Durants of the world and miss out on younger veterans with upside that would love the spotlight being a Laker brings.

Clearing cap space was good by Mitch. Unfortunately, he cleared cap space during a time when all teams will have cap space. So our advantage there is neutralized. With no clear monetary advantage, what will he be selling? With a losing team, with a bad coach, it looks like our pitch to next years FAs will be the same one we gave LMA. And it'll probably yield the same results.

We need to get a coach and accumulate young veterans who haven't peaked. From there, Mitch can work his trade magic and land superstars. Would love to get Durant. Great player. He's not coming though. If we are putting all of our eggs in the superstar FA basket, our management is delusional.

Management may be delusional and it likely will not succeed but there is still a chance that everything falls into place.

We will have the cap room and we might sign players who have great seasons.

I am with you in everything that you stated regarding management and lack of vision, etc.

We just need to get lucky.

And if we don't Buss will resign and we will have new leadership.

Until then, go watch the Warriors so that you can enjoy entertaining basketball.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

^They are fun to watch.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

We can debat this and that but the real root of the problem is Buss kids scare of a full rebuild without Kobe, this is why they gave him the extension, this is why they hired a coach not willing to developing young talents but rather cater to Kobe's style. Until they realize life without Kobe is not as bad as they thought, we won't see any real changes in their direction, and giving him another extension isn't as far fetched with these meat heads running the team
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
We can debat this and that but the real root of the problem is Buss kids scare of a full rebuild without Kobe, this is why they gave him the extension, this is why they hired a coach not willing to developing young talents but rather cater to Kobe's style. Until they realize life without Kobe is not as bad as they thought, we won't see any real changes in their direction, and giving him another extension isn't as far fetched with these meat heads running the team

yeah, it has been a stealth tank. The dif between us and Philly is we've drafted well. If you count Clarkson as a 1st round pick (the way he has turned out), add in Julius, Nance and DLo and that's 4 1st rounders in the last 2 years they've been able to pick up. I think Anthony Brown will pan out as well so that's 5 solid roster guys going forward.

I think they thought Kobe would at least put on flashes this year to entertain people. He just doesn't have it anymore.

As far as the D'Antoni/Dwight/Bickerstaff stuff above... Bickerstaff said repeatedly he didn't want to be the head coach. D'Antoni/Dwight should have been a dream matchup with Dwight running the PnR but Dwight refused to do it, so it was a good gamble, it just didn't work out. Who could have known though? Dwight should have been Amare in the D'Antoni system for us and he simply refused to do it. The Nash trade was an unqualified disaster though, no doubt... It's somewhat amusing that Kobe's body is failing him like Nash, Nash would always say before the season started he was in great shape, ready to go, etc. and then his body would fail so why would they be surprised the same exact thing is happening to Kobe? Kobe was ready to go at the start of the season, said he felt great and everybody could see he had lost more than a step, yet... now they're surprised at how far he has fallen?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So he has no vision when the team wasn't winning titles and someone else was responsible when they were? Did Mitch not bring in Phil as well? And Gasol to put around a prime Kobe? West hated the triangle, he hated Phil, he was in no way responsible for that mindset, nor was Mitch. The last thing West wanted to do was to fire Del and hire Phil. But both did what they had to do to win. That was their vision, seeing the moves that needed to be made to win. Culture is breeded by ownership, not the GM.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Surprised that the FO thought that this team could win half its game.

Wow they were really really off.

The FO needs help if they thought we would win at least 40 games.

Quote:
"If we got to the point where I felt we could win half our games, that would be a good season, and that was our expectation going into the season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles-lakers/post/_/id/42249/kupchak-qa-on-kobe-surprised-by-timing-of-announcement
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Surprised that the FO thought that this team could win half its game.

Wow they were really really off.

The FO needs help if they thought we would win at least 40 games.

Quote:
"If we got to the point where I felt we could win half our games, that would be a good season, and that was our expectation going into the season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles-lakers/post/_/id/42249/kupchak-qa-on-kobe-surprised-by-timing-of-announcement

Doesn't seem like the most unrealistic thing, if all the free agents played well, the young guys were way ahead of schedule, and, maybe most importantly, Kobe could return to form and put up 20-4-4 on 45% shooting or so.

With a top coach and a Kobe 70% of who he was in '12-'13, 41 games is attainable IMO. Obviously, with Byron as coach and Kobe shooting 30% on the season, none of that is close to coming to fruition.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 8 of 21
Jump to: