Finding Our Next Coach: The Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Sure we can make 52 pages but at the end of the day we are all being ridiculous and fooling areselves and making asses of ourselves because we know in our hearts that the Lakers are only going to look at

Tom Thibodeau, Mike Dunleavy and Insert-Retread-Coach-Here

Despite all our threads about Luke the God Walton, Becky the Beauty Hammon, Kenny the Genius Atkinson and Kevin the Durant Ollie, at the end of the day our FO is (bleep) stupid and outdated and is only going to look at Tom Thibodeau and he is going to be our coach

Better accept it now because it's going to happen

I will cry myself to tears tonight

You are probably right Chron. LA must have "proven" coach. It will be thibs and it will not be good.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Add me to the list of Luke supporters.
I think he would be an outstanding choice and would be around for a long time.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Sure we can make 52 pages but at the end of the day we are all being ridiculous and fooling areselves and making asses of ourselves because we know in our hearts that the Lakers are only going to look at

Despite all our threads about Luke the God Walton, Becky the Beauty Hammon, Kenny the Genius Atkinson and Kevin the Durant Ollie, at the end of the day our FO is (bleep) stupid and outdated and is only going to look at Tom Thibodeau and he is going to be our coach

You are probably right Chron. LA must have "proven" coach. It will be thibs and it will not be good.

I'm afraid of that too, but maybe, just maybe, the Kerr experiment will give them hope that the same can happen with Luke and us, although i agree with your point that our front office seems pretty clueless right now, and i'll add that byron is not helping their cause at all, the more criticism he gets, the more criticism the front office will get as well.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers front office start with this "proven coach" bull-ish again...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Thibs will probably interview better than Luke . He can lay it out - " I'll do x,y,z to make this team good like my Bulls team" "x, y,z and we're as good as they were" .
If the FO wants Thibs, they'll just have to be stubborn in coming to an agreement on player workload, and an offensive coordinator. Although I trust when Fiendishoc says Thibs wasn't bad offensively, a bit over hated.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Thibs will probably interview better than Luke . He can lay it out - " I'll do x,y,z to make this team good like my Bulls team" "x, y,z and we're as good as they were" .
If the FO wants Thibs, they'll just have to be stubborn in coming to an agreement on player workload, and an offensive coordinator. Although I trust when Fiendishoc says Thibs wasn't bad offensively, a bit over hated.

I think Thibs is an elite coach whose biggest downside is managing minutes and monitoring fitness. I would be ecstatic if he were our coach but would want to know that he's up to speed on all the modern fitness monitoring and injury prevention technology/data that's available.

Really everyone, if we're going from Byron Scott to Tom Thibodeau that's worth at least 10 wins a season right there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

I don't have the same "hell no" attitude with Thibs that I did with Scott.

His problem is overuse but it's no secret he knows how to defend.

My question is that the FO seems to want a more offensive game, does Thibs do that for them?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Listen, Thibs has proven to be a top 3-5 coach in the NBA. Many would say #3 after Pop, Carlisle.

Hiring him would be far from a mistake. I'd imagine he's sitting back right now watching the direction of the NBA and watching our young kids and thinking all the ways he can help them.

Is he ideal? No. Is he a poor choice? No. But what has Luke truly done to be considered a better option? One out of bounds play? Coaching the defending champs, with the most versatile roster, best player, and established chemistry? He may just be the next great coach but we know nothing about his philosophy, control of a locker room (particularly a young one), or ability to develop players. I mean nobody can say that he's running this GS team solo. Kerr is still in the background and they have a good staff.

IMO, and I mean this sincerely Ollie is the best option out there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Very easy to draw up a list of potential coaches the Lakers should interview this offseason:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Hopefully John Calipari is on that list
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

And Luke can say "Thibs did have a decent team in Chicago that underachieved, but I broke the record for consecutive wins to start the season"
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

My question is that the FO seems to want a more offensive game, does Thibs do that for them?

Thibs hasn't shown he is good for young players. Look how McDermott has blossomed under Hoilberg.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Thibs hasn't shown he is good for young players. Look how McDermott has blossomed under Hoilberg.

Well didn't DRose/Butler/Gibson/Noah all grow under Thibs too? (of course he also ran them down).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
Very easy to draw up a list of potential coaches the Lakers should interview this offseason:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

I've seen his name and I think he's the type of head guy that would be willing to delegate to good assistants. I'll say he'd be a helluva pitchman to free agents as well. My question is, is there any whispers about him wanting to go pro or is this just speculation?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

True, McDermott is a dangerous player with Hioberg. But, Thibs made Jimmy Butler out of thin air. And was also willing to give Mitotic minutes as a rookie last year, and let him play his game
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

I've seen his name and I think he's the type of head guy that would be willing to delegate to good assistants. I'll say he'd be a helluva pitchman to free agents as well. My question is, is there any whispers about him wanting to go pro or is this just speculation?

Don't worry. I'm sure the next NCAA violations will surface.

The problem with him is that he probably wants to be Pres. of Basketball Operations too...and Jim Buss...yeah.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject:

One important thing to remember when thinking about Golden State and Luke as a HC candidate is that their front office works to ensure that their entire team functions as a system such that things won't go to hell when one person leaves. They are trying to create an institution that can perpetuate rather than a one off that will collapse with the departure of any one individual. So with that in mind, it might be difficult to say with any certainty how much responsibility Walton bears for their success currently - all we can say definitively is that he has not pooped his pants.

Quote:

"You can't have a staff underneath you that isn't that good," Lacob said. "And if you're going to get better, you've got to have really good assistants. You've got to have people that can be there to replace you. We all know this from all of our companies. It's . . . Management 101. A lot of people on the outside couldn't understand it when we (fired Jackson)."

That said, it's clear that they think very highly of Luke because he was, as is their philosophy, one of the best people available as an assistant. I'd be happy with Luke. I'd be happy with Thibodeau. I'd be happy with anyone who is even just average. It'd be a whole lot better than the mess we have right now.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Luke won them the game yesterday when he decided to go small, i mean, i assume it was his decision, that move got the warriors the w
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Luke won them the game yesterday when he decided to go small, i mean, i assume it was his decision, that move got the warriors the w

He outcoached overrated Doc. He's already better than Blockbuster.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
dood23 wrote:
repandpresent wrote:
That out of bounds play Luke called that gave Draymond that wide open layup was masterful! That's not just talent, that's some serious coaching. I know a lot of people didn't like Luke as a player, I on the other hand thought he was always the smartest Laker on the floor no matter who was playing. He clearly has knowledge of the game.

He simply out coached Doc in the last 2 minutes. Sure, the Warriors hit all those threes but they were open threes that came about from play calling. Screens, and double screens.

I want Luke, Luke will be a hot name by the All-Star break. I feel that if we don't grab him soon, he will leave to lets say, Phx, Sac , Denver, even Philly.

If you pair him up with a defensive guru, the Lakers will have solid building blocks. The success won't happen right away but why not grow the "whole" team together. A young coach with young players. Luke is our guy, I'm just afraid that Jeanie has soured on the thought of ex-Laker players as coaches.

https://streamable.com/ef30

Look at Lawrence Frank still pointing to the wrong spot when Draymond lays it in.

You know it's bad for the Clippers when the only job an assistant has was to point out Curry; and Frank still gets confused and loses him.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

add Tyron Lue to that list
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

add Tyron Lue to that list

No way for Madsen.

Maybe JVG??
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

the cold reality is so hard for me to accept.

i'd love an Atkinson, Hammon, Walton, or Ollie, but the F.O. is gonna do what it's gonna do.

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Hopefully not. Calipari will not cut it in the NBA. Doesn't have the X's and O's.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject:

Just MJ and Kobe, Curry can also create a coaching career. Not even Byron can mess up as the Warriors coach. I wouldn't be so high on Luke. In the west coast, you got Luke on top. In the East Coast, you got Blatt. Wow, these guys must be awesome! LOL! The truth is Occam's Razor. It's not a coincidence these two teams have the top 2 players in the NBA in Curry and Lebron. Dude, Lebron gave Mike Brown a 61 win season. We hired Mike Brown, and look what happened.

Players can absolutely make the career of coaches. When LG gets an idea, you guys only see what you want to see and believe what you want to believe. And right now, you want to believe so badly in Luke Walton. I'm just saying don't let all that winning in GS fool you.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Just MJ and Kobe, Curry can also create a coaching career. Not even Byron can mess up as the Warriors coach.

Yet Mark Jackson did. And if Byron were there, Thompson would post up all the time, Curry wouldn't lead the team in usage, and Draymond Green would be on the bench while Iggy gets the most minutes and shoot poorly but keeps him playing anyway because "he got that grit".

Seriously, to argue at this point that Luke isn't have any positive impact for that team right now is being blind at this point. They're 14-0.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 53 of 67
Jump to: