Finding Our Next Coach: The Candidates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

Rockets will get Walton anyway while we go after another old fashioned coach. Wait and watch.

Ideal scenario would be to get rid of Scott now and hire someone like Nash. Still early in the season and see what he can bring to this young squad. But no chance of that happening. We'd have never given a chance to Kidd, Kerr etc in million years. Still stuck in 20th century.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Rockets will get Walton anyway while we go after another old fashioned coach. Wait and watch.

Ideal scenario would be to get rid of Scott now and hire someone like Nash. Still early in the season and see what he can bring to this young squad. But no chance of that happening. We'd have never given a chance to Kidd, Kerr etc in million years. Still stuck in 20th century.
why Nash? Just because he's a compassionate self motivated legend? I'm not saying he wouldn't work but the vetting process has to be more than just name brand guys. The cavs players swear by Lue. Has a track record. Do you want him?
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

why Nash? Just because he's a compassionate self motivated legend? I'm not saying he wouldn't work but the vetting process has to be more than just name brand guys. The cavs players swear by Lue. Has a track record. Do you want him?

He was one of the smartest players and did a great job working with Clarkson last year. Obviously, it'd have to depend on the interview. But he's an interesting candidate imo. Smart players who have embraced modern ways seems to be doing well in this league. We need to look beyond dinosaurs like Mike Brown, Byron etc. Risk is pretty much the same but at least there's a chance of striking gold.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Halflife wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

He was one of the smartest players and did a great job working with Clarkson last year. Obviously, it'd have to depend on the interview. But he's an interesting candidate imo. Smart players who have embraced modern ways seems to be doing well in this league. We need to look beyond dinosaurs like Mike Brown, Byron etc. Risk is pretty much the same but at least there's a chance of striking gold.

Nash swore by mike D. That didn't turn out well. Everyone is a risk but our next coach has to be tied with our youth. I just don't think Nash would work. Far too many interests. The ability to work one on one doesn't really fit for a team. He would also have to scheme/manage hibbert. My fear is that rivers gets fired and we hire him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:

As long as we don't get anymore retreads. I'm pulling for Walton or Lue; in that order.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Thibs will probably interview better than Luke . He can lay it out - " I'll do x,y,z to make this team good like my Bulls team" "x, y,z and we're as good as they were" .
If the FO wants Thibs, they'll just have to be stubborn in coming to an agreement on player workload, and an offensive coordinator. Although I trust when Fiendishoc says Thibs wasn't bad offensively, a bit over hated.

I think Thibs is an elite coach whose biggest downside is managing minutes and monitoring fitness. I would be ecstatic if he were our coach but would want to know that he's up to speed on all the modern fitness monitoring and injury prevention technology/data that's available.

Really everyone, if we're going from Byron Scott to Tom Thibodeau that's worth at least 10 wins a season right there.

The interviews will likely be different this summer because the candidates won't have to account for how they intend to use Kobe. When Byron interviewed I'm sure Kobe was still considered the focal point of the offense. It seems like every offense we've run in the post-Shaq era started with getting the ball to Kobe in his favorite spot out on the wing.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

I never really was super excited about Luke Walton just because it's such a small sample size and he's basically coaching a championship team whose players have completely bought in (bolded for anybody trying to use the failed MDA / Howard, Gasol, Kobe thing) to the system.

However.. I'm starting to feel like he's that up-and-coming coach that's going to go on and do big things. You read all these quotes about him from players and its clear that they respect him.

I remember one quote from a player and they were talking about how Luke Walton sees things out there that not alot of other people do.

I just wonder if this is one of those grass is greener situations lol where everybody looks better than what the Lakers currently have.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

I don't want thib. He's more for a veteran team than developing young players. Our young players still need developing, unlike the pre-injured d rose he coached in Chicago. I would give Monty Williams a shot, he was fired by Pelicans unfairly and he's been known to work well with young players
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

I hope the rockets go ahead and hire thibs this season so we dont even have to talk about him
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I don't want thib. He's more for a veteran team than developing young players. Our young players still need developing, unlike the pre-injured d rose he coached in Chicago. I would give Monty Williams a shot, he was fired by Pelicans unfairly and he's been known to work well with young players

Oh man looks like u havent watched monty coached teams anad r just going off some articles

His offense is in same league as mike brown

No thanks.

Only want Luke else becky
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

Hire Luke to be the head coach and hire MWP as an assistant coach and put him in charge of the defense.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I disagree about Thibs being best suited for a vet team. When he took over the Bulls from Del Negro in 2010, Noah, Rose, and Gibson were in their third, second, and first years respectively. The following year they drafted Butler. The only vets who were part of the central core for those Bulls teams were Deng and Boozer.

Having said that, I share the same concerns as everyone else about his willingness to drive his players to the point of injury to win games and obstinacy when dealing with upper management. So far, he's shown to be the type coach that can turn your team around but not get them all the way.

Monty Williams is another great suggestion I hope they consider.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Oh man looks like u havent watched monty coached teams anad r just going off some articles

His offense is in same league as mike brown

No thanks.

Only want Luke else becky

And the advocacy for Becky Hammon is based off of what now?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
Very easy to draw up a list of potential coaches the Lakers should interview this offseason:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Hopefully John Calipari is on that list

Hopefully not.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Poor maddog. His learning process and reputation will be tarnished working for Byron.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
Very easy to draw up a list of potential coaches the Lakers should interview this offseason:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Hopefully not. Calipari will not cut it in the NBA. Doesn't have the X's and O's.

His X's and O's at Kentucky have not only been good, but he is great at getting his players to buy into them.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Hopefully not. Calipari will not cut it in the NBA. Doesn't have the X's and O's.

His X's and O's at Kentucky have not only been good, but he is great at getting his players to buy into them.

They've been anything but great. But he is great at getting players to buy in.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Our list will be

Mike Dunleavy Sr.
George Karl (when he is fired)
Kurt Rambis
Tom Thibodeau
Brian Shaw
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Vinny Del Negro

ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Our list will be

Mike Dunleavy Sr.
Kurt Rambis
Tom Thibodeau
Brian Shaw
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Vinny Del Negro

That's not even in the least bit funny
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Our list will be

Mike Dunleavy Sr.
Kurt Rambis
Tom Thibodeau
Brian Shaw
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Vinny Del Negro

I'm laughing here, but I'm just crying inside.
That's exactly who we are interviewing once Byron is fired.

Avery (bleep) Johnson, man. After our last 3 hires, I can totally see him coaching the Lakers.

Damn.
Jim Buss, be a visionaire. Go modern.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
22 wrote:

Luke Walton
Kenny Atkinson
Becky Hammond
Ettore Messina
Kevin Ollie
Mark Madsen (courtesy)

Then just pick one

Our list will be

Mike Dunleavy Sr.
Kurt Rambis
Tom Thibodeau
Brian Shaw
Mark Jackson
Avery Johnson
Vinny Del Negro

Yup Given how awful and conservative this FO is with coaching candidates, I don't expect anything interesting compared to what fans have asked for.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

To be honest the lakers should just not hire a coach and then have the NBA assign a coach to them at the start of training camp

would be a better one than any the lakers would hire
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
To be honest the lakers should just not hire a coach and then have the NBA assign a coach to them at the start of training camp

would be a better one than any the lakers would hire

They need to strike gold with an up and coming coach who is relatively unknown pretty much. Successful high profile coaches that are established like a Pop won't come here. Seems we need a Luke Walton type in here.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Just MJ and Kobe, Curry can also create a coaching career. Not even Byron can mess up as the Warriors coach. I wouldn't be so high on Luke. In the west coast, you got Luke on top. In the East Coast, you got Blatt. Wow, these guys must be awesome! LOL! The truth is Occam's Razor. It's not a coincidence these two teams have the top 2 players in the NBA in Curry and Lebron. Dude, Lebron gave Mike Brown a 61 win season. We hired Mike Brown, and look what happened.

Players can absolutely make the career of coaches. When LG gets an idea, you guys only see what you want to see and believe what you want to believe. And right now, you want to believe so badly in Luke Walton. I'm just saying don't let all that winning in GS fool you.

I find it funny how we're mere months removed from Steve Kerr, as a rookie head coach, taking over a 50something win, 4th seed and helped them get over the hump (winning 67 games and the title in the process), and people want to argue that anyone can coach this team and be dominant. We have evidence from just a year and a half ago that says otherwise. Luke Walton has the advantage of an established system and experienced players, but he's still the one running practices and making in-game adjustments. Of course talent makes it easier, but talent isn't everything.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

If we're making a run at KD, Ollie would be a great choice. Who knows how he'd do as an NBA coach but if he's the first domino in re-establishing the franchise's credibility to premiere free agents then it's worth it.

And I certainly wouldn't shed a tear over Calipari or Luke either. Not that it's likely but it would be hilarious if Luke came on board and Kobe stayed another year. Can you imagine coaching someone who was drafted 7 years before you and had already won 3 championships and made 6 All-star teams by the time you were drafted?

On another note, too bad Thibs wouldn't settle for being a defensive head coach because that's probably the role he's best suited for. He shouldn't be managing minutes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 54 of 67
Jump to: